• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Margarita's in the Grade School

J
Judybabe
hey want a Margarita and you're only in 3rd grade! No problem, come to Benkelman where we will get you your own Margarita flavored Smoothie.

Kindergarten thru 12th grade, are welcome to try our Margarita smoothies.

:grumpy:

What the????? REally? :O

Here I thought this thread was about a proud mom announcing her daughter going into 3rd grade!

Link, please!

if you're upset about the marketing of alcohol to children, i am right with you. remember candy cigarettes that had powder on the end so it was like smoke when you blew on them? it's disgraceful

susanr613 said:
if you're upset about the marketing of alcohol to children, i am right with you. remember candy cigarettes that had powder on the end so it was like smoke when you blew on them? it's disgraceful

O Yeah, and I remember as a kid getting those cigarette candies, acting all cool like I was smoking too.. as I didn't really know any better!:(:grumpy::mad:
Horrible I tell you!

Smoothies - great idea. Calling them Margarita Smoothies - bad idea. I agree. They could be Citrus smoothies, island breeze smoothies, fun in the sun smoothies.... I'd point out the flaw to the school system. We have enough working against us as parents trying to teach our kids right and wrong, we don't need the schools blurring the lines.

I would be so upset as a parent. I htink I would actually be calling the school and complaining.

Is Benkelman's a business near the school or is this being advertised through your schools? Or just a terrible business that you can call and let them know how terrible of a marketing idea (morally) that is!

Jennie4PC said:
I would be so upset as a parent. I htink I would actually be calling the school and complaining.

Skip the school, call the SCHOOL BOARD, that is just unacceptable...

I just a search on google for Benkelman and the first post was this website.

babywings76 said:
Is Benkelman's a business near the school or is this being advertised through your schools? Or just a terrible business that you can call and let them know how terrible of a marketing idea (morally) that is!

I think Benkelman's is the county/city the schools are in... just a guess based on the first post

See, I read it as a local business marketing to the school kids. I didn't think it sounded like it was being offered at the school.Not that that makes it any better...just means that it's not the school's fault if that's the case...it's just a terrible business.

Based on Judy's previous posts about her location being near Trenton & Stratton, I think it's referring to the city/town.

Benkelman is the town we live in. The school is Dundy County Stratton. yes it's the school 's cafeteria that is serving margarita smoothies. I did complain. Know what I was told? "Well the kids like it" I went with the secretary down to the cafeteria to verify what my daughter had told me. Then I waited 20 minutes to see the principal. yeah, I did complain. A school cafeteria serving smoothies named Margaritas. I asked the principal if there were going to get daiquiris and sangrias next. I was very nice and quick and got out of there. didn't lecture.we'll see when my daughter goes back to school Monday if they changed it. See what you learn when you sit at the table for dinner together?and my husband is the one who teaches DARE in the schools. HA!

Boy...you just can't catch a break in that town, can you?!Maybe an anonymous tip to a local TV crew...stories like that make good juicy teasers on the 6pm news. :D
I wonder if other parents know anything about it.And like someone said- take it over the local system's head if they didn't make any changes. Go to the State Superintendent or County. The Local principal may not care or see anything wrong, but the government officials may.

I think I'll let my 12 year old wear my Jimmy Buffet Margaritaville t-shirt if they don't.

Judybabe said:
I think I'll let my 12 year old wear my Jimmy Buffet Margaritaville t-shirt if they don't.

Haha nice. Definately should sport the Jimmy B wear.
and how ironic that your husband is the DARE officer. I would think MANY other parents would complain, as would teachers... I can't believe that the principal would allow that to continue and actually was okay with that idea.

I sent an email to some friends and my siblings. So far everyone is telling me to just be quiet since I'm the new kid on the block. Ok I guess. It must be a common thing and I'm over reacting.move over Jimmy Buffet, here I come!

Wow! That is just appalling! I'm sorry that every which way you turn in this new place you are getting frustrated. I think it's great that you stood up for what you believe in.

I would voice your concern to whomever you need to get to get it changed.

That's just plain WRONG!!!

Go to PTO, Principal, Superintendent, School Board, I would be first in line at PTO Meeting to complain about this, and as I'm an officer, I'd be like, ok, as of this moment I'm here as a MOM not a PTO officer, as I've done MANY times in the past.

Kids shouldn't be lead to believe these things are "cool" !!

Feel for you, but I'm a mom who wouldn't let it go either.

Lisa

I'd be pissed too and I'd start making noise at the superintendent's office - then I'd call the local news stations. This is just wrong! Call your local MADD chapter, I bet they will raise some hell of your behalf too.

I agree about calling in MADD group and what does hubby feel being the DARE officer and they are doing this??

I would mention it at the church group you go to........what do other mothers feel about this, you can't be the only one with a concern???

Lisa

AS a matter of fact, I did mention it to a mom this morning after church. I didn't know this but she works in the kitchen at the school and absolutely thought nothing of it. Really thinks its no big deal. But she does like the idea DH is back to teach DARE. I sent an email to the MADD office in Lincoln, it's the only one in the state. 300 miles away. The only news station is 150 miles from here. doubt they'd care.I feel so mixed, really Margarita smoothies for gradeschoolers. Think I'll go have a beer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Too bad they'll only start caring when these kids decide they like the smoothies so much, they decide to start making the real things at home, and start getting into all kinds of trouble. Of course, then, they'll say nobody complained and they had no idea.

Remember I told you I spoke to the principal? Remember my MIL the retired school teacher passed away last week?well tomorrow I am supposed to go visit with this same principal about how to spend the memorial money given to us for her. Now I got money to give, wonder what his tune will be. should I suggest alcohol rehab?

LOL!! Too funny! Well, you COULD say you won't be giving the money to the school unless they agree to change the name of the smoothies (and NOT to another alcoholic drink reference).

I have to admit I am stunned that other parents aren't outraged. Hmmm, call FOX news; maybe they will report on it.

legacypc46 said:
I have to admit I am stunned that other parents aren't outraged. Hmmm, call FOX news; maybe they will report on it.

I'm not...considering many parents are younger than me and we're getting to that tolerance is good generation. ...and you can't tell me what to do...

Sigh...quitting before I get on my soap box! I'm still reeling over an ashleymadison.com advertisement on FOX news channel the other day...

Since the response seems to be that the kids like them, maybe you should point out that it's not the smooties (or even the flavor itself) that you're objecting to. It's the name. It can't be that hard to change the name of that particular smoothie.

here's the funny...Terry's mom died on 8/30. she was a school teacher for decades. We have memorial money to spend and I went to the same principal this morning asking for ideas on what we could buy for the school using the memorial money. He said he'd get back to me. (he was about to start a conference call, so I'll cut him some slack.)DD came home for lunch today and the name has been changed to Lemon Lime.you know what they say...Money talks!

Oh, Oh, Oh, I almost forgot!!!!DH is at the state training academy this week since he'll be teaching DARE in the schools and his certificate is expired. (DARE is Drug and Alcohol Resistance Eduction) during his introduction he told his class that his wife was back home fighting the name change of smoothies sold in the grade school. When he called me at noon, he said they never got past him in introductions since everyone was up in arms about what could be done.
Those with names after M will get introduced after lunch I guess.Glad to hear I'm not the only normal person in this world!

I am going to say this once and only once. If those people who chose the name of that beverage are the same people teaching your children, I would get a tutor for your child so that when they do graduate in 12th grade, it isn't at the 6th grade level. Apparently they all have the IQs of doorknobs! And maybe suggest AA and/or ALANON to all your neighbors, the ones who said not to make waves and ignore it, will need it when their kids get a little wiser. Geez!

Yeah...these same parents probably think it is funny to give their kids sips of beer and wine to see their reaction! I have a feeling that your DH's announcement will generate quite a few calls to that school about what they are teaching! Sounds like you need to start DARE there in Preschool! ARGH!

janetupnorth said:
I'm still reeling over an ashleymadison.com advertisement on FOX news channel the other day...

I had to look that up to see what it was. Holy smokes: an agency to facilitate dating among married people? That makes my head reel. Marriage, committment, fidelity...I kind of thought those things went together.

legacypc46 said:
I had to look that up to see what it was. Holy smokes: an agency to facilitate dating among married people? That makes my head reel. Marriage, committment, fidelity...I kind of thought those things went together.

So did we, we thought it was a bad mattress commercial or something. It is a sight that promotes infidelity and the "swingers" lifestyle...

GRRR...not what God intended for marriage.

Not what civil law intended either. Talk about promoting 'breach of contract.'

legacypc46 said:
Not what civil law intended either. Talk about promoting 'breach of contract.'

Ok, that made me chuckle! But so true...

pcchefjane said:
Yeah...these same parents probably think it is funny to give their kids sips of beer and wine to see their reaction! I have a feeling that your DH's announcement will generate quite a few calls to that school about what they are teaching! Sounds like you need to start DARE there in Preschool! ARGH!

Maybe start practicing the DARE program in the teacher's lounge.. and the principal's office... there is NO excuse for this.. very unacceptable!! I am very proud of you!!! Keep up the great work!!!!!!!

pcchefjane said:

Maybe start practicing the DARE program in the teacher's lounge.. and the principal's office... there is NO excuse for this.. very unacceptable!! I am very proud of you!!! Keep up the great work!!!!!!!

1. Can children really have a Margarita-flavored smoothie?

Yes, our Margarita smoothies are non-alcoholic and safe for children of all ages to enjoy.

2. Is it appropriate for kids to drink Margarita smoothies?

Our Margarita smoothies are made with all-natural ingredients and do not contain any alcohol, making them a safe and fun treat for kids.

3. What age range is allowed to try the Margarita smoothies?

All children from kindergarten to 12th grade are welcome to try our delicious Margarita smoothies.

4. Are there any other flavors of smoothies available?

Yes, we offer a variety of flavors for our smoothies, including fruit flavors like strawberry and mango, as well as chocolate and vanilla options.

5. Where can we find these Margarita smoothies?

You can find our Margarita smoothies at our Benkelman location. We also offer a mobile smoothie truck that visits different schools and events, so keep an eye out for us in your area!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Stampaholic1961
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Stampaholic1961
  • lesliec
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
The_Kitchen_Guy
  • cookingwith_tara