• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Sharpening Your MFP: Troubleshooting Tips

In summary, some people are having issues with their MFP just not being sharp enough. I haven't had any issues with mine not being sharp. Although I have only used it maybe 15 times at the most.
lkhartmann
Gold Member
Is anyone else having issues with their MFP just not being sharp enough? I loved it when I could just quickly chop stuff with it, but now it seems not so much... anyone else having that issue?

I haven't had any issues with mine not being sharp. Although I have only used it maybe 15 times at the most.

I had trouble with mine this week, as well. Was thinking maybe it was just tough skins on the jalapeno peppers. Kinda wonder, though.

I did after using it maybe 10 times. I couldn't get the lid off, either. I had to stick my fingernails in there and pry it off -- not cool at parties. I got my replaced and it works like a charm.

Sandi

Do you put the blade in the microwave? I try to avoid this because it's not in its best interest.

Intrepid_Chef said:
Do you put the blade in the microwave? I try to avoid this because it's not in its best interest.

I think you meant dishwasher... I do not put any of the MFP in the DW. It just takes a second to rinse it all off with a little dish soap and it's ready to go. Why take the space in the DW and have it (MFP) out of commission so long. Oh, and I use mine a lot and the blades seem as sharp as the first time.

I haven't had a problem with mine. You do have to cut the items down - I wouldn't put the whole jalapeno in there but chop it into two or four pieces before putting it in the MFP.

wadesgirl said:
I haven't had a problem with mine. You do have to cut the items down - I wouldn't put the whole jalapeno in there but chop it into two or four pieces before putting it in the MFP.

I've put in an entire jalapeno, minus the stem.

Pardon me if I've posted this before. I had a really embarrassing few minutes with the MFP at a show where I demo'd the mango confetti salsa. Apparently the jicama was old & tough. I had to dig it all back out and cut it into smaller pieces, thereby making the MFP look like a useless toy.

I'd made the salsa several times at home with no problems, so it was completely unexpected and flustering!

I still like the cute little thing for tuna fish & egg salad. Loooove the consistency of the mixture I get with it. And, it's fun to use!
except for awkward show moments

If the blades are dull, either
1) order a replacement part
2) get it replaced under the 5-year guarantee

Jicama is just hard anyway, I think. I prefer actually using a granny smith apple instead. It would be easier in the MFP, and eliminate that "show moment", and I think it adds a little flavor as well as the texture.But I had the same thing happen at my first show I used the MFP for the mango salsa. My host had actually found a jicama for the first time since I'd started using it...so we tried it. But the MFP was a bit overloaded, and the jicama jammed it up. It was a repeat crowd, so we had a chuckle over it. I blamed it on my first jicama experience. ;)

LOL, isn't it just special when products fail in front of a crowd?

That's what's weird, I had had ZERO problems with jicama when it made it at home! At least 3 previous times...the show failure totally threw me off balance. Other products, like the mandoline for example, I knew I had to be careful to get the right size pieces to fit in the holder, make sure the holder was on the tracks correctly, etc....never thought my cute little MFP would betray me.

Anyway this thread made me look up the gurantee length, and i was happy to see it's 5 years.

Sometimes if I have an ornery piece of bell pepper or such I'll usually put the rest of the stuff in another bowl and finish chopping what wouldn't chop to begin with. Usually works like a charm

I made the falafel from the mfp recipe card pack today. YUM! The only problem I found was that you had to pump ALOT. The new mild indian curry is the perfect seasoning for it and the flavor was great. As for the yogurt sauce, I would add a bit more cucumber then it calls for so it have a bit more flavor. Greek yogurt can sometimes be over powering if the other flavors aren't strong enough. Overall, they were great but not sure about demoing them cuz of all the pulsing involved. Got a bit tiring.

I know it has been in the dishwasher a few times. (I love my husband, I love my husband) I am wondering if there is anyway to sharpen the blades.

I made a fruit dip in the MFP with cream cheese and marshmallow fluff and one of our sprinkles. Mixed up great. Looked great. I could.not.get.the.blade.out.of.the.bowl. I ended up putting my fingers down into the dip to get it out (gloves on of course, but still...). It wasn't pretty but people were still impressed.

lkhartmann said:
I know it has been in the dishwasher a few times. (I love my husband, I love my husband) I am wondering if there is anyway to sharpen the blades.

It is okay to put it in the dishwasher, the U&C card says so. ;) So if it's dull, I'd call the CS department and tell them about it being dull and needing a replacement.

pchockeymom said:
I made the falafel from the mfp recipe card pack today. YUM!
oooooh, thanks for reminding me. That recipe looked really good when I was going through the cards. My indecision on dinner has gone away!

My MFP has water stuck inside. I haven't submerged it in water, and I've only used it twice...I took out the little rubber plugs to try and let it drain, but so far no luck :(

Pampered Angel said:
My MFP has water stuck inside. I haven't submerged it in water, and I've only used it twice...I took out the little rubber plugs to try and let it drain, but so far no luck :(

Did you run it under water? Any amount of water close to the center piece can result in water inside of it. I usually take the kitchen brush and scrub off what I can and wipe off with a lysol white.

Try putting the lid on the bowl- without the blade, and pump the handle a few times. I saw someone else say they managed to get the water out- but I don't exactly remember how. It seemed it was as simple as pumping the handle a few times....worth a short. Can't hurt!

wadesgirl said:
Did you run it under water? Any amount of water close to the center piece can result in water inside of it. I usually take the kitchen brush and scrub off what I can and wipe off with a lysol white.

Lesson learned!

It did take some extra pumping to chop up store-bought chicken salad the other day. (It needs to be finer for my DH w/braces

esavvymom said:
Try putting the lid on the bowl- without the blade, and pump the handle a few times. I saw someone else say they managed to get the water out- but I don't exactly remember how. It seemed it was as simple as pumping the handle a few times....worth a short. Can't hurt!

Thanks, I'll try anything! I have a show tomorrow and I planned to use it!

I tried to use mine twice to blend butter and oats for apple crisp. It recommended a food processor and I thought he MFP would be perfect for it. Epic fail!

Since my knees were not up to me searching for my real food processor, I resorted to the tried and true method of cutting the butter with two butter knives.

BethCooks4U said:
I made a fruit dip in the MFP with cream cheese and marshmallow fluff and one of our sprinkles. Mixed up great. Looked great. I could.not.get.the.blade.out.of.the.bowl. I ended up putting my fingers down into the dip to get it out (gloves on of course, but still...). It wasn't pretty but people were still impressed.

Beth was it an 8 oz. jar of fluff and and 8 oz. block of cream cheese? Maybe a 2 tsp of sprinkles?

Intrepid_Chef said:
I tried to use mine twice to blend butter and oats for apple crisp. It recommended a food processor and I thought he MFP would be perfect for it. Epic fail!

Since my knees were not up to me searching for my real food processor, I resorted to the tried and true method of cutting the butter with two butter knives.

No! No! No! LOL Use the mix n chop! It does wonders for struedel mixes.

:)

byrd1956 said:
Beth was it an 8 oz. jar of fluff and and 8 oz. block of cream cheese? Maybe a 2 tsp of sprinkles?

Yes. I use 3 Tbsp of sprinkles. If you have the tri-bowl you can divide it before adding the sprinkles and put 1 Tbsp of different sprinkles in each. Yum.

I have the pamper chef food chopper how can I clean the bottom piece that covers it

1. How often should I sharpen my MFP blades?

It is recommended to sharpen your MFP blades every 3-6 months, depending on how frequently you use your MFP.

2. Can I sharpen my MFP blades at home or do I need to take it to a professional?

You can sharpen your MFP blades at home using a sharpening stone or a honing steel. However, if you are not confident in your sharpening skills, it is best to take it to a professional.

3. What is the best way to sharpen my MFP blades?

The best way to sharpen your MFP blades is to use a sharpening stone or a honing steel. Make sure to follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer and use the correct angle for sharpening.

4. How do I know if my MFP blades need to be sharpened?

If your MFP blades are no longer cutting smoothly and are instead tearing or crushing food, it is a sign that they need to be sharpened. You may also notice a decrease in performance and efficiency.

5. Can I use any type of sharpening tool for my MFP blades?

It is recommended to use a sharpening tool specifically designed for kitchen knives and blades, such as a sharpening stone or a honing steel. Avoid using electric sharpeners or rough surfaces that can damage your MFP blades.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• evk1972
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
pchockeymom
Replies
Views
Jasmine
  • kam
  • Products and Tips
Replies