• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Can You Freeze and Prepare Mango Salsa Sundaes Ahead of Time for a Fundraiser?

In summary, tortilla bowls can be made ahead and frozen, but they may not be as easy to serve when thawed.
Ann F
Gold Member
I'm planning a fundraiser for August, and the "host" wants to use the tortilla bowls. She says around 35 people should show up. (HS Band Boosters) Can these be made ahead (in batches) and frozen? Thanks.

I'd try it now and see what happens when you thaw some. Make a small batch to start.

Just wanted to give you a heads up. Someone made those for our cluster meeting 2 months ago. She had a really hard time getting them out of the muffin stone. Some of them broke in the process. The ones that stayed intact were quit yummy and really made a nice presentation. We all made a decision at that meeting we would not want to make these at a show and be embarassed at how hard they were to come out. Maybe someone else out there has made them and had better luck.
Laura Anglea
Independent Kitchen Consultant

I'm sure you can do it a day ahead, but not sure about freezing. Should try it first. I do the wonton all the time and make them a day or 2 ahead and they usually last a week in a zip lock bag. :)

Wouldn't hurt to try!I would definitley make the torialla bowls ahead of time. I too am not sure about freezing...you could always try it. Let us know if you do! Are you doing a demo? Either way, I would leave out a bag of tortillas, have a few of the tortillas cut up the way the recipe calls for and have your muffin pan out with a few sitting in there ready to be "cooked". Just so everyone can see how they are made. It's such a simple recipe and guests are always amazed when I show them. Good luck!!!

Sundae SuggestionsI made the Mango Salsa Sundaes for every show in July and I learned quite a few things!

1 - refridgerated tortillas are a bazillion times easier to work with, serve in, and eat, than the non-refridgerated ones.

2 - generic or most expensive tortillas: no difference

3 - instead of messing with all the fresh fruit, i only buy fresh strawberries. for the remainder of the "salsa" i use a "tropical fruit cocktail". it's available as a generic at all the groceries stores around here and has mango, passion fruit, etc. in it (no grapes or cherries!). i use the can to demo the can opener, the collander and bowl set, and the food chopper. it's only 69 cents a can here! everyone goes bananas over it! the fresh strawberries really make it pretty and delicious!

4 - i have made as many as 4 dozen tortilla bowls as long as 1.5 weeks before the show. i store them stacked on top of eachother upside down either in the lg. collander bowl or in the chillzanne rec. server with no chillzanne part. as long as you have press n seal over them to keep them from getting chewy and stale, you'll be fine.

5 - i demo this recipe in an assembly line format. first i make the salsa and have it ready to go when needed. i give everyone a small plate (disposable sandwich size or if small enough group, i use small squares. I own 16 small squares and they tote beautifully in the tool turn about tote). then i do the strawberry topping with the skinny scraper, then pass out the tortilla bowls, then serve the ice cream, then use the medium scoop to serve the salsa. then easy accent decorator to serve coolwhip, then sprinkle each with flour sugar shaker that i filled with cinnamon and sugar.

hope that helps! please email any questions to [email protected], as i don't check the board as often as i should. thanks! - kirsten

kirsten davis
www.pamperedchef.biz/diva

I also have done this recipe a ton of times this summer. I make a set of shells before I get there and then cut the trimmings to make cinnamn ribbons. If we have more than 12 or so people expected we make anothe set as soon as I get to the house. When we bring out the shells I have an uncut one there to show them the technique. Left overs have lasted about a week in a ziplock bag.

I don't do the salsa. I do a sundae bar and let them use the tools to put their own together. It can use a ton of tools depending on the toppings the host gets and I always coach her on the must have ones. It's also a good idea for her to ask each guest to bring a specific ingredient. I also make the hot fudge just before it's time to serve: 3/4 cup chocolate chips and 4 oz. cool whip. Microwave for 1 minute and stir! YUMM!! (sound familiar? It's the first step in the Cool and Creamy Chocolate Fondue from All The Best!)

1. What ingredients do I need to make Mango Salsa Sundaes?

To make Mango Salsa Sundaes, you will need ripe mangoes, red bell pepper, red onion, cilantro, lime juice, jalapeno pepper, and salt.

2. Can I use canned mango for this recipe?

Yes, you can use canned mango in place of fresh mango for this recipe. Just make sure to drain them well before using.

3. How do I cut the mango for the salsa?

To cut the mango for the salsa, start by peeling it with a vegetable peeler. Then, slice the flesh off the seed and dice it into small pieces.

4. Can I make this recipe ahead of time?

Yes, you can make the mango salsa ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. Just make sure to add the avocado right before serving to prevent it from browning.

5. What can I serve with Mango Salsa Sundaes?

Mango Salsa Sundaes are perfect as a topping for grilled chicken or fish, or as a dip with tortilla chips. You can also serve it as a side dish with any Mexican-inspired meal.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Humble Beginnings
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
Replies
Views
strtngnw
  • babywings76
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies