• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Easy Cheese Grating with Nonstick Spray on Mandoline

I don't think the cheese grating ability is a selling feature with the UM in my opinion. I can get shredded bagged cheese here for like a $1.99 for two cups. It would take me waaaaay longer and cost more money to buy the block cheese and grate it myself. I love the tip about the apples for faux apple pie! Thanks!
Kristinabelle
I am not crazy about grating cheese on the mandoline - it takes a lot of muscle and this is evident during my shows. I hate having people try it out. And this is after freezing the cheese for 15 minutes too. My husband had me spray the front and back of the mandoline with nonstick spray - what a difference! It was a lot easier! I recommend this next time you grate cheese.

I would much rather use the deluxe cheese grater for cheese. Use the V-shaped slicing blade to sell the mandoline. Thanks for the tip on the mandoline for grating.

I have never grated cheese with the UM, I always use my DCG. I nuke cheese for 8-10 seconds in the microwave before I use it. But only right before I use it. If I'm doing the whole block then I nuke it in sections as I grate. Otherwise it cools down and doesn't work. But you do notice a big difference when you do it.

Ok I need help with the madoline also. I used to sell one ultimate grate and slice at each show. I can not sell the madoline. I have no trouble using it, but the guest Can not;.and will not buy it. yesterday I had a guest squash a lime!!!

The trick to cheese on the mandoline is the cheese should be fresh (never been frozen. It makes the cheese more crumbly) out of the fridge or warmed slightly. Do NOT use the food guard.

That being said I also prefer the DCG for cheese. I also nuke small hunks just before I grate.

As for the squashed lime. I find people want to mash things into the blade. They beed to use more of a gliding motion and not push down so hard on he plunger.

During my first show I had a horrible time with it. I had the guess grate the small portion of cheese that I put in the freezer for 15 minutes. I felt bad because it took a long time just for that small portion of cheese. Then I went to slice the lime, and all I did was smoosh the lime. For my second show I decided to all those steps at home, and just talk about it. I didn't want to look like I didn't know what I was doing at my show. I really don't like it for grating cheese at all!! I have a food processor that does it quickly without the strain. I do like it for slicing citrus and tomatoes. I know it will be hard for me to sell them because I really don't like itl. I'm not going to sell something that to me is a waste of money. Maybe in time I will learn to like it :)

This is great feedback! I will remove the cheese grating from my mandoline demo. I'm doing the pizza recipe since I'm a newbie - everyone loves the pizza though!

FYI.... I went from the USG (LOVED it) to the mandoline and it has taken me almost 2 years to get used to it and like it. The more I have used it and experimented with it the better it has gotten.

Again.... Cheese is my least favorite thing to demo.

My favorite is apples...
core an apple and slice it in half so it will fit in the mandoline
Use the wavy blade (My favorite)
Slice away...
put slices on a plate and sprinkle with cin & sugar from the Fl. Sug. Shaker.
YUM!!! fat free apple pie!

I don't think the cheese grating ability is a selling feature with the UM in my opinion. I can get shredded bagged cheese here for like a $1.99 for two cups. It would take me waaaaay longer and cost more money to buy the block cheese and grate it myself. I love the tip about the apples for faux apple pie! Thanks!

TheChaoticCook said:
Shredded cheese has added stuff to it so it doesn't stick together, that's just putting more junk into your body. Plus, it's cheaper to buy block cheese and it lasts longer. If your block gets moldy all you have to do is cut off the mold, the rest of the cheese is still good. If your bag gets moldy, you have to toss out the whole bag.

I hate to use the DCG for cheese. I use it for nuts, chocolate, carrots, and hard cheese. I have always used my Ultimate Slice and Grate for cheese. It just seems to work better. I have not used the UM much because I love my USG. I will be using the UM more as fresh veggies become available...at my shows anyway. I just can't seem to part with the USG.

And yes, bagged cheese has "yucky" stuff added to it. A block is cheaper in the long run...and you get more grated cheese. I quit buying bagged cheese a long time ago. But, I buy cubed cheese for parties...saves time cutting those blocks into squares.

I'm a new consultant and I really dislike the UM for grating cheese as well. What a disaster in my opinion! Love the zuchinni and the lemon, onion and tomatoe, but NOT that cheese! Gasp! So, with my new kit, how should I grate the cheese for the show (tomorrow!)? I only have what came with my kit.

etteluap70PC said:
FYI.... I went from the USG (LOVED it) to the mandoline and it has taken me almost 2 years to get used to it and like it. The more I have used it and experimented with it the better it has gotten.

Again.... Cheese is my least favorite thing to demo.

My favorite is apples...
core an apple and slice it in half so it will fit in the mandoline
Use the wavy blade (My favorite)
Slice away...
put slices on a plate and sprinkle with cin & sugar from the Fl. Sug. Shaker.
YUM!!! fat free apple pie!

I too LOVED the USG and sold it at every show!! I do not love the mandoline. I have been told I need to get use to it and learn to use it. OK, but I know for a fact that a customer will not "get use to it and learn to use it". Plus, when I try to use it interactively at a show, the customers struggle. I understand why it was re-designed, seemed like at every other show I had to hear about a trip to the ER with the USG, but at least it worked slick!! I wish they would send it back to the design team!!
dja

So what is your recommendation for grating cheese at a show, with what I have on hand now?

DCG works great, the trick is to cut the block of cheese into chunks that will fit into the opening. I cut it on the small bar board, and then place bar board with cheese into microwave for about 6-10 seconds depending on the age of the microwave. You want the oil to come to the surface of the cheese, not melt it, and I promise it will just fall out and you will sell DCG's and bar boards!!

Thanks for that tip! But, I don't have a DCG or a bar board with my new kit. So, for this month, what do you suggest?

Everytime I use the DCG for cheese it gets stuck up in the barrel and doesn't fall out. I tried microwaving the cheese before grating and that didn't help either. It also seems to squish out the top and on the side where the handle screws in. What am I doing wrong?

On the other hand, I LOVE my mandoline, for everything but grating cheese that is,

Last edited:
well, this is what I would do: before you leave for your show, lightly spray the blade you are going to use for the cheese. Then, get to the show in plenty of time to actually grate 90% of the cheese before the guests arrive.

jrny2001 said:
Everytime I use the DCG for cheese it gets stuck up in the barrel and doesn't fall out. I tried microwaving the cheese before grating and that didn't help either. It also seems to squish out the top and on the side where the handle screws in. What am I doing wrong?

On the other hand, I LOVE my mandoline, for everything but grating cheese that is,
If it's squishing you are microwaving it too long! You don't want it to be warm and melty just a little oily, right at the point before it starts getting melty.

Tomorrow is my first show to demo the mandoline. I'm making pizza so I think I'll take the advice of spraying, then shredding the mozz before the show. Wish me luck!

I have been soooo lucky! I everytime the recipe calls for cheese I forget to mention to the host to get block cheese and she buys shredded cheese. :thumbup:

I know I should remind them, because I am not selling the UM or DCG but the fustration is gone and I guess I am happier doing my demo!

Kelly V.

I feel I need to respond. I'm fairly new myself. I started in November and have only done a handful of shows. I know just before I joined my director had a UM demo/teaching at their monthly focus meeting. It helped them out. Kim my recruiter told me what they went over after I signed up. I've been able to use it pretty well and am happy with it. I do not have DCG either. I've demoed the mini pesto pizzas more than anything. For the Mozzarella I always used the AMPG (adjustable microplane Grater) It worked well enough. I obviously love it for Parm. I've never demoed chesse with UM, but have used it to grate cheese and felt it worked just fine and I used fresh cheese out of fridge I did not freeze it. I love the UM for slicing. The v-shaped blade is great for tomatoes and onions. I love the curvy one for cucumbers. I love making fancy ones for veggie platters. That's my experience just thought I'd add.

KellyRedHead said:
I have been soooo lucky! I everytime the recipe calls for cheese I forget to mention to the host to get block cheese and she buys shredded cheese. :thumbup:

I know I should remind them, because I am not selling the UM or DCG but the fustration is gone and I guess I am happier doing my demo!

Kelly V.

I don't even own a DCG anymore - broke 3 of them, and never liked it much anyway. I never grate cheese as part of a demo. If I have to grate cheese (I usually tell my hosts that if they already have pre-grated cheese, that's fine with me.) I do it before the show. I use the UM to show how to slice any number of fruits and vegetables, and for grating, I talk about grating potatoes for hashbrowns, or carrots or zucchini for breads, muffins and cakes.

I will be honest and say I do not like the UM, I do not use it at parties and no matter how much I practice, the next time I go to use it I have problems. I hate this product and don't really promote it b/c I don't believe in it :( Now I do love the new adjustable grater.

oh, forgot to mention, my hosts usually buy shredded cheese also.

I have a hard time with the UM, I have smashed limes and lemons or gotten uneven ragged slices. Forget cheese, I use the DCG for cheese. At home I have an old sq box grater I LOVE for cheese, wish we had one..............I practice with the UM but I don't have muich luck and end up aggravated with it. So, I don't use it much at shows.

What is a mandoline?

A mandoline is a kitchen tool used for slicing and cutting vegetables, fruits, and other ingredients with precision and uniformity. It typically consists of a sharp blade attached to a flat surface with an adjustable thickness setting.

What types of cheese can be grated with a mandoline?

Most hard and semi-hard cheeses can be grated with a mandoline, such as parmesan, cheddar, and mozzarella. Soft cheeses, like brie or goat cheese, may not work well with a mandoline as they tend to be too soft and can get stuck in the blades.

How do I use a mandoline to grate cheese?

First, adjust the thickness setting on the mandoline to your desired thickness. Place the cheese block on the flat surface of the mandoline and firmly hold it with one hand. Use the other hand to slide the cheese against the blade in a back and forth motion. Be sure to use a guard or protective glove to avoid any accidents.

Can I use a mandoline to grate other ingredients besides cheese?

Yes, a mandoline can be used to grate a variety of ingredients such as vegetables, fruits, chocolate, and nuts. It is a versatile tool that can save time and effort in the kitchen.

How do I clean and maintain my mandoline?

After use, make sure to clean the mandoline thoroughly with warm soapy water and a brush. Pay special attention to the blades and any crevices where food may get stuck. Store the mandoline in a safe place, and be sure to regularly sharpen the blades to maintain their sharpness.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Jillmami
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
esavvymom
  • emiscookin
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
chefheidi2003
  • luvmypomeranian