• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Have You Had Success with Male Hosts?

N
noradawn
Hi-

I'm in SS3 and I'm curious about everyone else's experiences with male hosts. So far I've had 3. The first was very high maintenance- I can't tell you how many times I had to drive over to his house with custom made flyers, labels for his invites, more catalogs, to sort his order, etc just because it was "too stressful" for him. It was an okay show (but he served his guests too much alcohol and they got a little angry when I didn't have one of everything to show them! weird) Anyway, my second male host only had 3 guests. My third canceled his show the night before- and without remorse, like it was no big deal, which is irritating, after you've spent time and money making calls, mailing the host packet and post cards, etc.

So I'm wondering if in the future I should avoid male hosts, or if this is just coincidence. What are your experiences with male hosts?

Nora

Are these men that you know personally or are they referals?? The reason I ask is that men, like women, just don't put in as much effort when they are doing YOU a favor vrs. having a show for themselves.

I personally have had only one male host but I so wish I could find more. He was amazing, had a great crowd, followed all of the instructions that I gave him, and just was a TON of fun.

I wouldn't recommend to you to give up on any host, male or female. If you get in the habit of working with male hosts now you will be opening yourself up for a very open and amazing business.

Keep your chin up! Don't give up on them.

The first two were friends who were doing me a favor by having parties my first month. So I guess I should forgive them their faults! Neither one of them had even ever heard of PC before. The third was a guest at a party who checked the box on the door prize drawing slip.

I think I will be open to having male hosts, but I just want some way to know that they really WANT it, you know? Like this last host- when I asked him what was on his wish list, he said "you know, the things most people want." Obviously, not into it!

I'm still interested in hearing more people's male host experiences, if anyone has noticed any patterns or tendencies.

Male HostsI have only had one and he really wasn't a host because he cancelled (about 2 hours before the show I might add). He was pretty much impossible to host coach because I could never reach him and he NEVER retuned my phone calls. He scheduled his show probably 4 weeks or more in advance and I think I talked to him once or twice. Even when I did talk to him he always seemed in a hurry and/or disinterested in what I had to say. Closer to the show he said he was not sure he was going to be able to carry through but he would let me know for sure one way or another 2-3 days before...blah, blah, blah...anyhow it ended up that I did not hear from him 2-3 days before, I couldn't reach him by telephone, so I left a msg. on his machine that I was planning on showing up at his house at (whatever time) that night ready to do a show because I had not heard from him otherwise. Needless to say he called (about 2 hours before the show) and cancelled. SOME WILL, SOME WON'T, OH WELL, WHO'S NEXT?

sOhSherri said:
SOME WILL, SOME WON'T, OH WELL, WHO'S NEXT?
That's why we should always try to schedule a couple extra shows each month! ;)

It depends on the guy. I just held my first ever show for someone - a PartyLite rep I did an open house with, and it bombed - partly due to weather, partly due to me not calling folks ahead. I emailed 40 folks, sent them e-reminders the day before (had one confirmed on email, but she didn't show up) and the 3 people I called they day-of, flaked out. The show ended up being 250-300 with outside orders, but OUCH.

I thought more people would respond to email. I know I would've. But, most people aren't me. It was different than I thought it would be...harder to get folks to show up. The only thing was, I didn't do follow-up on invitations with a live contact.

I've only had one male host, but he was great. He loved the products, and he booked from his fiancee's show. (Isn't that sweet?) They've registered with me for their wedding too, and he's thinking about signing to be a consultant. He and his wife-to-be are considering signing together and making it a joint business.

scottcooks said:
It depends on the guy. I just held my first ever show for someone - a PartyLite rep I did an open house with, and it bombed - partly due to weather, partly due to me not calling folks ahead. I emailed 40 folks, sent them e-reminders the day before (had one confirmed on email, but she didn't show up) and the 3 people I called they day-of, flaked out. The show ended up being 250-300 with outside orders, but OUCH.

I thought more people would respond to email. I know I would've. But, most people aren't me. It was different than I thought it would be...harder to get folks to show up. The only thing was, I didn't do follow-up on invitations with a live contact.

I thin kit's a great experience for us to HOST a party for someone else every now and then - a good reality check as to what's it's like to be on the other side of host coaching.

My best show ever was a male host. (Also my uncle) But if every host I had put the effort into their show that he did I would only need a couple of shows a month! He followed thru on everything, had a ton of outside orders and a good turn out at the show. His first show was $1100 and the next year his show was over $1300. This year he decided to take a break but I'm hoping next year he has another show. He always had them in January and it was a great way to motivate me and have a great start to the new year!

reesefamily5 said:
My best show ever was a male host. (Also my uncle) But if every host I had put the effort into their show that he did I would only need a couple of shows a month! He followed thru on everything, had a ton of outside orders and a good turn out at the show. His first show was $1100 and the next year his show was over $1300. This year he decided to take a break but I'm hoping next year he has another show. He always had them in January and it was a great way to motivate me and have a great start to the new year!

We could ALL use an uncle like that!

I've had 2 male hosts and they were both wonderful shows. They were both familiar with PC and one had done a show years ago with his wife. They were a lot of fun and I was surprised how much the men who attended (no women attended either show) knew about PC and it really helped! They are nice to do over the summer when you can grill something. In both cases I prepared the meat and the hosts grilled while I talked about bookings and such. I would definitely be open to doing another one!

I had one male host who was going to have the party in our RV. His guests came but he did not! He was a recent widower, and was having a down day, was his excuse - the next day when I asked if he was all right. We all were concerned for his health, more than anything else.

I have another party scheduled this month with a couple hosting but the husband is the one inviting folks he works with, and military friends. I sure hope the weather does not cancel that one. They want more cookware. She hosted a Nov. party for her family and work friends.

I held a show at the golf course for the ladies and a couple of their husbands were there in the back room. I did not notice but a few would come out and listen to me demo. Then when the food was ready and all the ladies served we offered it to the men. Well a few days later I saw one of the men and he told me that if I do another show I should include the men because they cook also. I received from my SIL who's a consultant some of the spices/rubs like peppercorn garlic etc. anyone have recipes for these on the grill? If I don't do the grill I'm thinking a Margaritaville theme with the Cheeseburger ring with a dessert. Am I asking for trouble? Any advice is appreciated. :)

I have not had a male host and in my area do not see ever having one.

I have had 2 males hosts - my hubby and a totally stranger (saw a flyer in the store).... and both were great shows. Both men were very active in guest list, ingredients and entertaining....

Now we should all know better...I happened to have been a horrible host. The lady who I asked to do my show, I changed dates three times then never did do the show. Then a year later I signed up with her again to do a show. I changed the date one time. We had the show. Did over $800 in sales I might add. I got everything I was supposed to have, had everything ready and even called my guests to make sure they were coming. I signed with her a month later. So don't tell me about guys!
And after reading everything out here, we all know there is no difference between consulting for men or women. We have all heard the horror stories about the ditzy this or the house was a mess that or I couldn't contact her. Folks it just does not matter on gender. The only thing to do is do all the shows you can. The Good, The Bad the Ugly! Only because that which does not kill us, only makes us stronger! (That is if you can keep from murdering your bad hosts!)

Last edited:
I did not think that my husband has "hosted" some open houses for me!! He was great!

I was told by my director that men makes the best customers becuase they look at our products like they do tools. for example They buy a hammer to hammer nails, a ccertain screw driver for a certain type of screw and they do the same thing with cooking utensils. I havent had one but given the chance I would. my hubby likes alot of the " tools" I say go for it

One of my best shows was with a man. Remeber, a host is a host and for me, I don't care whether they are a man or woman it all depends on how much effert they put into their show.

A funny thing happened on the way to closing a showMy mom had a show for me on January 14th. A next door neighbor went home with a catalog. Her HUSBAND picked it up and picked out a little over $200 worth of stuff. And HE WANTS IT! I sent out the show already but I am going to mom's tomorrow and I would like to send it in as a show for them.
However, their other neighbor, who booked a catty show from my mom for February, may be disappointed. So we'll see what happens.
I was thinking of doing a $175/$25 split. Have Deena put a $25 or so order on Gloria's show then send int he rest as a show. I highly doubt Deena would have said anything to Gloria about how much stuff her husband wants so no harm no foul. Deena and Ron win and so does Gloria. Especially since she only reall wants to get the 10% off and two pieces of stoneware.

1. How common is it to have male hosts for parties?

Male hosts are not as common as female hosts, but it is becoming more and more common for men to host parties, especially in the direct selling industry.

2. Do male hosts tend to be more high maintenance than female hosts?

There is no definitive answer to this question as it varies from person to person. Some male hosts may be more high maintenance while others may be more laid back. It ultimately depends on the individual's personality and level of involvement in the party planning process.

3. Have you noticed any gender differences in the success of hosting a party?

Again, this may vary from person to person. Some male hosts may have more success in terms of attendance and sales, while others may not. It is important to treat each host as an individual and not make assumptions based on their gender.

4. What are some potential challenges of working with male hosts?

One potential challenge may be the lack of experience or knowledge in party planning and hosting. This may require more guidance and support from the consultant. Additionally, societal norms and expectations may make some male hosts feel uncomfortable or unsure about hosting a party, which could affect their level of commitment and success.

5. Are there any tips for working with male hosts to ensure a successful party?

Communication is key when working with any host, regardless of their gender. Make sure to clearly explain the expectations and responsibilities of hosting a party, and be available to answer any questions or concerns they may have. Also, try to be flexible and accommodating, as some male hosts may have different preferences or ideas for their party compared to female hosts.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • raebates
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
BethCooks4U
  • yummy4tummy
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies