• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Making the Switch: Ditching Your Landline for Cell Service

We use Vonage, and it's the same thing with them. We have to be able to tell the 911 operators where we are because they can't find us like they could with a land line.I don't think it's that big an issue.
MomToEli
Okay, how about this one ...

Anyone drop their land line and only use cell service for their home phone? No 911 makes me a tad nervous, but not having two phone bills - well, that idea ROCKS!

I only have a land line but all my sisters (3) only have cell phones no land lines and they dont have a complaint about it.

I would only go to my cell but I have no cell service at home so I am forced to do both. My bill for the 2 plus my long distance bill is around $136 each month. I can't wait to move and only have a cell phone!!!!!

We did get rid of our land line for about a year. While it was nice, there were a lot of people that just didn't know how to get ahold of us. We do have it back since we had dial-up for a while & probably won't get rid of it. My in-laws live just up the road & about every day they had someone calling asking them how to get ahold of us.

On a plus side, we didn't get any telemarketers. On a down-side, every form/application/etc that you fill out & have to list a phone number for means that your cell number is on the telemarkter list now unless you update it on the do not call registry.

You have 911 with a cell phone. The only thing is, if you can't talk, they can't find you.We use Vonage, and it's the same thing with them. We have to be able to tell the 911 operators where we are because they can't find us like they could with a land line.I don't think it's that big an issue.

jenniferp417 said:
You have 911 with a cell phone. The only thing is, if you can't talk, they can't find you.
This is not true for a cell phone--they have GPS built in for 911 to find you. As long as you don't make another call after you dial 911, they can find you. My phone prompts me to not call anyone else after 911 is dialed (I've only had to dial it once, but it worked!)DH and I have been without a land line for 5 or 6 years now--we love it. However, we're undecided if we'll just get a third phone or get a land line when DS gets older. We're both teachers and don't want to be listed anyway, so this works out well--we don't want people to find us! :p

Oh, I didn't realize the GPS was that widespread on cell phones. I have a cheap prepaid so I don't know if mine will do that - and I don't want to call 911 to check it out.

I don't really like talking on cell phones because of the delay. It's annoying, and I'm glad I have a land line. I just don't like paying the two phone bills. We do use the cell phone for all long distance calls.

We have both a land line and a cell phone.... I don't' want certain people to have my home number... and I don't' want certain people to have my cell phone number either.

My only other thought about only going with a cell phone is that twice in the last 4 years, we've been without power for more than 8 days. I had a cordless so that died as soon as the battery was gone but I pluged in an old phone I still had and it worked. I don't have a car charger (should get one) for my cell phone so as soon as it died I would have been out of luck. I guess nothing is perfect! :)

mommyhugz1978 said:
We have both a land line and a cell phone.... I don't' want certain people to have my home number... and I don't' want certain people to have my cell phone number either.
This is my thoughts exactly!! We have the internet phone and it's a real deal!
I pay 27 for my phone every month regardless where I call and how long I talk!:rolleyes: :thumbup: :p :D

Car chargers are a must-have for me. I've been broken down on the side of the road with a dead phone and what's the good in that? :(

PamperedinAvon said:
This is not true for a cell phone--they have GPS built in for 911 to find you. As long as you don't make another call after you dial 911, they can find you. My phone prompts me to not call anyone else after 911 is dialed (I've only had to dial it once, but it worked!)
You can turn the GPS off on most phones. I have it turned off on mine because I don't want Big Brother tracking me. The only time I'd call 911 is for someone else, when I'd be able to stay on the line anyway.

One caution on cell phones - since they are not secure any information (credit card/social security#) can be intercepted. To me that's a very big draw back. I was alerted to this after a friend mine had her information stolen. Fortunately they caught it almost immediately but were warned by their credit card company never to use a cell for that information.Joanne

I used to think a car charger was a must, but my piece of c... car's charger plug ins don't work! I hate it because I don't always remember to plug it in at home and the battery seems to die right when I've left home rather than when I'm almost home. GRRRR!

Jae, my parents have cell phones and don't have car chargers. What they do is make charging the phones part of their "coming home from work" routine - walk in, sit down the purse, plug in the phone. Their phones are always plugged in unless they're using them. Might shorten the battery life but this way the phones are charged and they know where they are. Might be worth a shot for you.

I use the car charger way more than the in-house charger......because I mostly just use my cell phone when I am on the go.

We have Vonage, and from what I understand, 911 with Vonage works alot like cell phone 911. I LOVE having Vonage though! 24.95 ($30 with taxes, etc..) and that is for EVERYTHING! No more long distance charges. I can call any host or guest from a show at any time and never have to worry about the charges. DH really needs a cell phone for work, and so we share a plan - and most of our cell phone plan is for being able to 2-way each other (well, and he needs to 2-way alot at work). But we have a limited plan - both cell phones together are only $55.

YES, Vonage is WONDERFUL. I absolutely love it.

jenniferp417 said:
Jae, my parents have cell phones and don't have car chargers. What they do is make charging the phones part of their "coming home from work" routine - walk in, sit down the purse, plug in the phone. Their phones are always plugged in unless they're using them. Might shorten the battery life but this way the phones are charged and they know where they are. Might be worth a shot for you.
My "come home routine" is drop the purse and run to the bathroom. I always have to go so bad! Then I check voice mail and e-mail. I try to remember to plug in the phone, but the computer is always calling, right after the bathroom.:)

What about dropping your purse near the computer en route to the bathroom? And keep your charger there?

Sounds good but it's not en route!

My DH works for the landline phone company so of course we have ours. I really don't like using my cell phone unless it's for mobile to mobile because I end up running it up too much. I'll always keep my landline for that reason alone. Also, I like the fact that I can talk an have a clear signal on my landline. My cell phone doesn't pick up too great where I live.

chefann said:
You can turn the GPS off on most phones. I have it turned off on mine because I don't want Big Brother tracking me.

Yup, I have GPS turned off for everyone except 911. Nobody else can just randomly track me. :thumbup:

I used a cell phone as my primary phone through college, and I couldn't be happier when I finally settled in to one place after graduating.....because I have a landline. Well, Vonage anyway....it is so nice to talk on a regular phone. I swear that cell phones give me headaches if I talk a whole lot. Although now that I have Bluetooth, I guess my headset would work pretty well around my house.I've had Vonage for over a year now, and they offered for me to pay ahead for the next 12 months for just over $200, so I did, what a bargain!!Also, I have a 911 feature setup with my vonage so that they do know my home address.

I leave my charger at work plugged in... hardly anyone calls me during the day on my cell phone so I always charge my phone at work.
We do not have a land line...sometimes I wish we did. I have a cell phone as well as my husband. But a land line would be nice for those that do not have our cell phone numbers as well as an address listing in the phone book. We miss alot of events due to the fact people do not have an address or phone number for us.

I used to only have a cell phone, for about 3 years. Until I got the digital cable, internet. It cost more just to have digital cable and internet so I got the Comcast Triple Play (with phone line) and its cheaper then just having the two.

Basically I can survive on the cell phone alone, but I have designated the landline for "business" purposed, and can write it off and save even more money!!

Hope that helps.

1. What are the benefits of ditching my landline for cell service?

There are several benefits to making the switch, including cost savings, convenience, and portability. With cell service, you only pay for one phone line instead of separate bills for a landline and a cell phone. Additionally, your cell phone can be taken with you wherever you go, eliminating the need for multiple phone numbers and missed calls.

2. Will I still be able to make and receive calls with just a cell phone?

Yes, with cell service you can make and receive calls just like you would with a landline. Most cell phone plans also include features such as voicemail, call waiting, and caller ID.

3. What happens if I lose cell service or have a weak signal?

If you are in an area with poor cell service or lose signal, you can still use your cell phone by connecting to Wi-Fi and using apps such as Skype or FaceTime to make calls. Some cell phone carriers also offer Wi-Fi calling as a feature.

4. Can I keep my current phone number when switching to cell service?

Yes, you can usually keep your current phone number when switching to cell service. Most cell phone carriers offer number porting, which allows you to transfer your existing phone number to your new cell phone.

5. Do I need to purchase any additional equipment to switch to cell service?

In most cases, you will not need to purchase any additional equipment to switch to cell service. However, if you want to use a traditional landline phone with your cell service, you may need to purchase an adapter or converter. Otherwise, your cell phone and charger are all you need.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• magentablue
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
DebbieJ
Replies
Views
Lisa/ChefBear
Replies
Views
DebbieJ