• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Making Chocolate Cookie Coating Easier: Tips & Tricks

.Yes, shortening will make the chocolate more pourable. However, if the chocolate is overcooked it can start to stiffen, which makes it difficult to dip and coat. Overcooking chocolate will also make it greasy.
niegemonkey
I was wondering in there is anything I can add to chocolate to help it have a more pour-able consistency but will still hard when it cools. (Just wondering because I made some cookies the other day and the chocolate wasn't thin enough to pour so I had to individually dip 40+ cookies to coat them... not very fun. Although I'm wondering if maybe it was because I had to melt milk chocolate with butterscotch and pb chips??? My family loved the cookies but I don't really want to make them again until I can figure out a way to coat the cookies without doing them one by one!)

I know that adding shortening can help.

I've never had this problem but I'm wondering if you are overcooking your chocolate. That usually causes it to start stiffening back up. When you melt chocolate you need to make sure that all of your utensils and bowls are free of water (that can make the chocolate turn bad). Stir every 30 seconds until the chocolate is just about all melted. As you stir it should continue melting the rest of the chocolate that is still solid. This should make a nice pourable chocolate.

I personally vote for melting chocolate like you get in candy stores or bulk food places. As an alternative, I would suggest a touch of paraffin. But I've not had a problem with chocolate chips either.

wadesgirl said:
I've never had this problem but I'm wondering if you are overcooking your chocolate. That usually causes it to start stiffening back up. When you melt chocolate you need to make sure that all of your utensils and bowls are free of water (that can make the chocolate turn bad). Stir every 30 seconds until the chocolate is just about all melted. As you stir it should continue melting the rest of the chocolate that is still solid. This should make a nice pourable chocolate.

Yes. I am always able to drizzle chocolate when I make it that way - and no need for add ins.

Adding cocoa butter (food grade, not the stuff you put on your body) will help.

You may want to do this in the double boiler, instead of the micro.

I have found that while chocolate on it's own can be more runny when melted, when you add in other flavored chips (like you say you did) it makes it much stiffer. The other chips won't melt as thinly as real chocolate will.

I had the same problem last week when I was making some Oreo truffles. I was using the Nestle white chocolate chips and added 1 tbsp of vegetable oil for each cup of chips. This worked wonders and I was able to dip my truffles and coat them so quick and easy.

I have added butter to make chocolate and peanut butter chips to make them thinner

1. How do I prevent my chocolate cookie coating from cracking?

To prevent your chocolate coating from cracking, make sure to temper your chocolate properly. This involves heating and cooling the chocolate to specific temperatures, which helps the cocoa butter crystals form properly and results in a smooth and shiny coating. You can also add a small amount of vegetable oil or shortening to the chocolate to help prevent cracking.

2. Can I use any type of chocolate for coating cookies?

Yes, you can use any type of chocolate for coating cookies, but it is important to choose a high-quality chocolate that is specifically made for melting and coating. Avoid using chocolate chips, as they contain stabilizers that can prevent the chocolate from properly melting and setting.

3. How can I make the chocolate coating process less messy?

To make the chocolate coating process less messy, use a double boiler or a chocolate melting pot to melt the chocolate. This will prevent the chocolate from burning and make it easier to control the temperature. You can also use a dipping tool or fork to coat the cookies instead of using your hands.

4. How can I add flavor to my chocolate coating?

You can add flavor to your chocolate coating by adding in extracts or flavorings, such as peppermint or almond extract. You can also mix in crushed cookies, nuts, or candy pieces for added texture and flavor.

5. How do I store cookies with a chocolate coating?

To store cookies with a chocolate coating, make sure they are completely cooled and the chocolate has hardened before placing them in an airtight container. You can also place a sheet of parchment paper between each layer of cookies to prevent them from sticking together. Store the cookies at room temperature for up to a week or in the refrigerator for longer storage.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• babywings76
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • akrebecca
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Cathy pclady
  • babywings76