• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How can I make phone calls with children without them being a distraction?

In summary, some people suggest toys, movies, bribery, or computer time to keep children occupied while their parents make phone calls.
ChefLAM
Does anyone have any great and effective ideas you use when you need to make PC phone calls to help keep the kids calm and entertained for a few minutes.

I've heard of some consultants having toys to give them to play with that are brought out just for those times when you need to make phone calls, putting in a movie, make calls during nap time, making calls after DH comes home from work, bribery:angel:... does anyone else have any other suggestions that work for you?

I don't have any suggestions as I am looking for the same answers! (I know, thanks for posting, huh?) Looking forward to suggestions!

I have a 7,3,and 1 year old. My 7 year old will take them to the "play room" for about 30 minutes and "babysit". They play and I call, they don't mind this b/c they know Mommmy has to work for us to go to Disney!

all I can say is good luck. I have a 3 year old. I work when she is in preschool or napping. Try to make short calls and space them out throughout the day so they can occupy themselves for a few minutes.... I know sounds good but the reality not so much huh1

I work full time, so I try to make calls on my lunch. At home calls are mostly made in the evening when my husband comes home or after the baby goes to sleep (he's 13 months).

I saw the thread title and thought, "Well, everyone knows it's better to make calls with a PHONE." LOL ;)

My thoughts were along those same lines, Ann. Big surprise. LOL!My Baby Boy was 18 when I started my business, so that wasn't a big issue for me. However, solutions depend on the age of your children. Generally speaking, rewards for keeping quiet during the calls work pretty well. For little ones, you can set a timer. If they're quiet until the timer goes off, they get a treat. Older children can sometimes earn a bit of money for,say labeling or stamping your supplies while you're making calls.

Lock 'em outside until you're done.:pJUST KIDDING!Although there are days when I'm tempted!:D

I have the same problem w/ my 3 year old. He always wants to be w/ mommy. The best thing to do is wait until they are playing nicely or concentrating on a movie. Never start making calls when they are bored- learned hard way. Also, if your child/children like playing on computer, put them on pbskids.org and let em play- my son loves the computer!

To keep him out of my files I made him his own file. Wrote his name on it and let him decorate it himself. Now when mommy gets her work out he has his own work to do. :)

I have a headset so I can hold the baby while making calls - or at least be prepared to pick him up if needed. I make customer care calls during the day whenever they are quiet for three minutes. Since I usually end up leaving a message, I might be able to get through a few before they need me. I also walk into the garage and close the door if they get rowdy.

I'd love to find a good solution too. Right now, I lock myself in the bathroom or laundry room. This isn't working much anymore, they know where I hide! I have to make my calls in spurts and BRIBE...BRIBE....BRIBE!

Good luck and if you find the magic trick, PLEASE share.

Looking for the magic trick too. I wait til they're amusing themselves....or if I have to make a call, I talk and try to explain that mommy needs some quiet time. Sometimes it works, other times I find myself apologizing to the person on the phone. Most are understanding, and either can sympathize or remember the days of young children.

It's not just young ones who can cause a problem, either. A clustermate of mine ALWAYS ends up yelling at her daughter when she calls me, and the daughter is 11. I think 1/3 of the total time that we're on the phone, she's yelling at her kids or talking to her husband instead of me. I've been tempted to just hang up every time she does that so that she has to call back. At least that way I don't have to listen to her yelling. (And 99.9% of the time that we talk on the phone, it's because she's called me, so it's not because I'm calling at bad times.)

Another suggestion I have heard is to hire a child in the neighborhood that you know and trust and is not old enough to really babysit independently, but can take the kids outside or to a different part of the house to amuse them. You wouldn't have to pay them a trememdous amount.

I have a 7 y/o and it is IMPOSSIBLE for me to work effectively while he is home. My business has really suffered this summer too :(

My boys are 7, soon to be 4 and soon to be 2. I make my calls when the youngest is napping and two older ones are watching a movie with a snack or after they all go to bed (8pm to 8:30). Most of the time this works. But my kids understand that I am not to be interrupted when I am on the phone (with anyone) unless there is blood involved. (Once I did have to get off the phone quickly when I was chatting with my director because the Middle Man said the Littlest Man was bleeding - he hit his nose on the Middle Man's head and it was bedlum. LOL)
ANYWAY - I have been known to hide in our garden to finish a call, they usually can't find me there. You just need to find a system that works for you. The best thing I can think of is to set them up to understand phone courtesy, don't get off the phone when they misbehave. I know this is hard - but sooo worth it. A friend of mine didn't do this (and still doesn't - drives me nuts!) and now she can't chat with me for more than 10 minutes without having to hang up and deal with her child.

I always worry about the receiving end.....wondering if I sound like a silly momma with kids who are out of control. I have been trying to impress the idea of phone courtesy, like Crystal....it's slow going. For short calls, they are great....it's when the caller wants to chit chat and linger.

When the kids are being rowdy or feeling mischievious, that's when I wait til hubby gets home. I lock myself in the "office" with the door close. I can make about an hour's worth of calls then. = )

What are some tips for making calls with children?

1. Plan your calls around your child's schedule: Try to make calls during nap times or when your child is occupied with an activity.

2. Set boundaries: Let your child know that you will be on a call and that they should not interrupt unless it's an emergency.

3. Have a designated quiet activity: Have a special toy or activity that your child can only play with during your calls to keep them occupied and quiet.

4. Use mute when necessary: If your child becomes loud or disruptive, use the mute button on your phone to minimize background noise.

5. Be flexible: Understand that children can be unpredictable, so be prepared to reschedule or end a call if needed.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Bren706
  • AmyJo
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
AmyJo
  • Flamingo
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies