• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Delicious Main Dish Trifle Recipe with Step-by-Step Instructions

In summary, the recipe is good but the dressing needs work. The cornbread is either cubed or crumbled, depending on preference. The recipe can be made for a potluck or for a child's dessert.
ChefBeckyD
Gold Member
I just got this recipe from my SD - it looks really good, and way to show the trifle bowl AND a ton of other tools!

Attachments

• Southwestern.doc
    10.5 KB · Views: 538
That looks really good..thank you for sharing

sounds good!

Thank you....this will be great for April!

here is a 7 layer salad one that is yummy too.

Attachments

• Layered Salad.doc
    31.5 KB · Views: 477
Is it possible that Lettuce was supposed to be part of the Southwestern Trifle? All of the
ingredients sound good but it ends up being like a Salsa with just the ingredients listed.

Grandmarita said:
Is it possible that Lettuce was supposed to be part of the Southwestern Trifle? All of the
ingredients sound good but it ends up being like a Salsa with just the ingredients listed.

It sounds to me like the corn bread is in place of the lettuce.

Thanks for sharing Becky!

There's also a great collection of recipes in the files section here specifically for salads in the trifle bowl.

I am in love with this version:

Southwestern Salad

Ingredients:
Dressing

3/4 cup (175 mL) ranch salad dressing
1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
2 tsp (10 mL) taco seasoning
1 tbsp (15 mL) lime juice

Salad

1/2 cup (125 mL) pitted ripe olives, sliced
1 cup (250 mL) diced red bell pepper
1 pkg (10oz/300g) torn romaine lettuce
1 cup (250 mL) black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup (125 mL) whole kernel corn
2 cups (500 mL) diced cooked chicken
1 ripe avocado, peeled, seeded and diced (optional)

Directions:
For dressing, combine salad dressing, jalapeño pepper, seasoning and lime juice in small bowl; whisk until well blended. Refrigerate until ready to use.
For salad, slice olives and dice bell pepper on Cutting Board. In large serving bowl, combine lettuce, olives, bell pepper, beans, corn and chicken. Pour dressing over salad and toss gently to coat. If desired, top with avocado. Serve immediately.
Yield: 6 servings

Nutrients per serving: Calories 260, Total Fat 16 g, Saturated Fat 3 g, Cholesterol 55 mg, Carbohydrate 15 g, Protein 17 g, Sodium 570 mg, Fiber 4 g

© 2010 The Pampered Chef used under license.
The Pampered Chef

Sounded good til they got to the dressing!I wonder if this one would be just as good using salsa instead and omitting the fresh tomatoes and onion? Then serve the dressing on the side for those of us who hate mayo and sour cream!

I bet salsa would work great even with the fresh tomatoes and onions. These are great! Thanks everyone!

ChefBeckyD said:
I just got this recipe from my SD - it looks really good, and way to show the trifle bowl AND a ton of other tools!

Becky, I am making this recipe today. Would you happen to know if she warms up the beans and the corn before she layers them? The recipe reads as if maybe they just go in cold. Just not sure if I'm doing it right. Also, do you think I should cube the corn bread, or is it supposed to be real crumbles?

babywings76 said:
Becky, I am making this recipe today. Would you happen to know if she warms up the beans and the corn before she layers them? The recipe reads as if maybe they just go in cold. Just not sure if I'm doing it right. Also, do you think I should cube the corn bread, or is it supposed to be real crumbles?

I'm pretty sure it's served cold like a salad.

For the cornbread, I think it would depend on the type of cornbread. If it could be cubed, I'd cube it, but some cornbread is too crumbly to cube.

Thanks! I made the cornbread in the Metal Square baking pan and it turned out great. I did cube it up, and it worked great. Some pieces fell apart a little bit, but it was definitely fine for them to be broken up.I made this for DH and my sister and BIL. Everyone liked it and got huge 2nd helpings. I cooked 2 chicken breasts in the DCB with some SW seasoning on them. Then I cut them up. Everything else I put in as the recipe said. I let the beans and corn be cold. It tasted great. I was nervous about having raw onions, but it really wasn't too strong or very detectable.Overall, I'd make it to bring to a potluck because adults like it and it has a really nice presentation. But I won't make it as a main dish for my family again. My kids didn't like it. Correction, my DD (10) thought it looked delicious and really wanted to try it. The others all said no way. DD ended up not liking it though. :( My 2 sons were just disappointed to see a main dish in the trifle bowl. They were getting excited thinking I was making them a Choc. PB Cup trifle! :D

1. What is a main dish trifle?

A main dish trifle is a layered dish typically made with ingredients like meat, vegetables, grains, and sauce. It is usually served in a clear bowl or dish to showcase the layers.

2. How do I make a main dish trifle?

To make a main dish trifle, you will need a clear bowl or dish, cooked and prepared ingredients such as meat, vegetables, and grains, and your choice of sauce or dressing. Begin by layering the ingredients in the dish, starting with the heaviest and heartiest layers on the bottom and finishing with lighter layers on top. Repeat the layering process until the dish is full, then garnish with herbs or cheese if desired.

3. Can I make a main dish trifle in advance?

Yes, you can make a main dish trifle in advance. However, it is best to assemble and refrigerate the dish no more than 24 hours before serving. If you need to make it further in advance, you can prepare the individual ingredients and store them separately until ready to assemble and serve.

4. What are some good combinations for a main dish trifle?

The possibilities for main dish trifle combinations are endless! Some popular combinations include beef with roasted vegetables and mashed potatoes, chicken with rice, beans, and salsa, and seafood with pasta and alfredo sauce. Get creative and use your favorite ingredients to make a unique and delicious dish.

5. Can I use a main dish trifle recipe for a dessert trifle?

While the concept of layering ingredients in a clear dish is similar, a main dish trifle recipe is not suitable for a dessert trifle. Main dish trifles typically use savory ingredients, while dessert trifles use sweet ingredients like cake, pudding, and fruit. Using a main dish trifle recipe for a dessert trifle may result in an unappetizing combination of flavors.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Jennie50
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
pchockeymom
  • britterg
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
Amanda Goode
  • elizabethfox