• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Remembering Vampira: A True Pioneer and Inspiration at 85

In summary, Maila Nurmi created the Vampira character in 1954 to host a television show in Los Angeles that ran crummy horror flicks. Her character was probably inspired by Charles Addams' macabre cartoons and even though her show only lasted one year, it inspired a flurry of local horror hosts all over the country. Vampira may very well have inspired Morticia Adams and Lily Munster about ten years later. Nurmi also sued Cassandra Peterson, who created and portrayed Elvira, Mistress of the Dark. Nurmi's $10 Millon suit failed, although she said, "Cassandra Peterson slavishly copied my product and made a fortune. America has been duped." Vamp
The_Kitchen_Guy
Silver Member
A true pioneer. What? You never heard of her???

Well, if I had told you Vampira was dead at 85, you'd still say you never heard of her. Well, here she is:

http://www.aolcdn.com/aolnews_photos/09/01/20080115111909990001

Maila Nurmi created the Vampira character in 1954 at KABC-TV to host a television show in Los Angeles that ran crummy horror flicks. Her character was probably inspired by Charles Addams' macabre cartoons and even though her show only lasted one year, it inspired a flurry of local horror hosts all over the country. Vampira may very well have inspired Morticia Adams and Lily Munster about ten years later.

Nurmi also sued Cassandra Peterson, who created and portrayed Elvira, Mistress of the Dark. Nurmi's $10 Millon suit failed, although she said, "Cassandra Peterson slavishly copied my product and made a fortune. America has been duped."

She made an appearance in Ed Wood's Plan Nine From Outer Space, arguably the worst commercial movie ever made. Her character appeared in Tim Burton's Ed Wood.

Vampira once rode in a Los Angeles parade, sponsored by an auto museum. She rode in a 1951 hearse that also made an appearance in the movie, Ed Wood. Nurmi will be taken to her final resting place in that same hearse.

She was a trend-setter, no doubt about it. Rest In Peace, Vampira.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
A true pioneer. What? You never heard of her???

Well, if I had told you Vampira was dead at 85, you'd still say you never heard of her. Well, here she is:

Nope, I could have actually told you who she was! ...and that she sued over the Elvira character.

Pretty good for a young one huh? :)

Well with the exception of the eyebrows, she's better looking than Elvira...and one other difference. Her mouth is closed...what a bonus!!!
Rest In Peace, Vampira.

That is either one strange camera angle or she wore quite a corset.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
That is either one strange camera angle or she wore quite a corset.
I was thinking the same thing - very tiny waist!

Maybe she had a rib or two taken out. Isn't that what Dolly Pardon has done? Hell, they could take all my ribs out and I would still be a moose!

I dunno if Dolly had ribs taken out but I certainly know where she silicone put in.

Yeah, she's pretty up front with that!!! They kind of hit you in the eyes!! I would love to see her without her wigs, makeup and silcone blimps in her shirt. Heck, she would just blend in with the rest of us folk!

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
I dunno if Dolly had ribs taken out but I certainly know where she silicone put in.

Aren't hers real? I was always told that....:confused:

baychef said:
Yeah, she's pretty up front with that!!! They kind of hit you in the eyes!! I would love to see her without her wigs, makeup and silcone blimps in her shirt. Heck, she would just blend in with the rest of us folk!

ROFLOL! No kidding!

jennjenn71706 said:
Aren't hers real? I was always told that....:confused:

That's what all the guys would LIKE to believe!

"Although she has admitted over the years to having a great deal of cosmetic surgery, it wasn't until 2002 that she admitted to having breast implants. However, she says she didn't get them until she lost a great deal of weight in the mid-1980s, because as a result of the weight loss she had lost a great deal of her famous bust."

baychef said:
Well with the exception of the eyebrows, she's better looking than Elvira...and one other difference. Her mouth is closed...what a bonus!!!
Rest In Peace, Vampira.
HA!! Good one, Ann!

Elvira has a mouth?

janetupnorth said:
"Although she has admitted over the years to having a great deal of cosmetic surgery, it wasn't until 2002 that she admitted to having breast implants. However, she says she didn't get them until she lost a great deal of weight in the mid-1980s, because as a result of the weight loss she had lost a great deal of her famous bust."

Ummm, Earth to Dolly, when your waist and hips get smaller, so does your bazookas, but they are still in the same proportion as they were before. When you lose a "great deal" of weight, your feet get smaller too! Did she have foot implants to get them back to size? You would think that when KG was picking his chin off the floor whan he looks at her that he might notice that but no...keepin his eye on the prize(s)!

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w169/baychef_album/thrunning_boobs.gif​

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Elvira has a mouth?

Your mute button was in good working order then...how could you miss all that obnoxious blabber!!! Oh well, just another example that men can't look and listen at the same time!!! (Like we needed more proof!!)

baychef said:
Ummm, Earth to Dolly, when your waist and hips get smaller, so does your bazookas, but they are still in the same proportion as they were before. When you lose a "great deal" of weight, your feet get smaller too! Did she have foot implants to get them back to size? You would think that when KG was picking his chin off the floor whan he looks at her that he might notice that but no...keepin his eye on the prize(s)!

The cameraman never gets that low, either. What size feet does your animation have?

baychef said:

That just looks painful!

the girl should have black eyes....

Does she have eyes?

I admit I did not know who she was, but I was thinking Elvira and then I read the rest. Funny my brother was the first person to tell me about Elvira when I was a teenager. I think he liked her which is really funny because he is gay (LOL)!!

That animation is hilarious Ann!! It's a good thing my teenage son is in bed (LOL)!!

Last edited:
katie0128 said:
That just looks painful!

THAT is what men think it should be like...excuse me, KG...quit...
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w169/baychef_album/thchores012.gifhttp://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w169/baychef_album/thchores012.gif
ththdrool2.gif
ththdrool2.gif
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w169/baychef_album/thchores012.gifhttp://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w169/baychef_album/thchores012.gif

And she wears a shoe size of 14 men triple wide! Snap out of it KG, it's just a cartoon!!

That's okay - I had a great post for here and put it in the wrong thread.Wait a minute, I'll go get it for you.

It appears to be cross-posting night.The owner of an Indian car company, Ratan Tata, introduced his new car at the New Delhi International Auto Show. It will be, he claims, the cheapest and least polluting car in India.
0110080757_M_car1.jpg
If you buy two of them, you'll have a pair of new Tatas.

Last edited:
Those are big white shiney Tatas too! I bet their expensive!

According to Ratan Tata, they appear to be lower in price than silicone TaTas.

They may take a longer amount of time to shine those milky white Tatas, than the silicone type. But guys love to shine and buff their Tatas.:yuck:

Guys also seem to prefer the luxury-size over the compact (or sub-compact).

I agree... the Tata in this picture isn't big enough for more than one man to ride comfortably.:eek: (My bark is WAY worse than my bite!!)

Ann- you need to change to wave 3 for conference this year. So we can gang up on KG. :)

chefann said:
Ann- you need to change to wave 3 for conference this year. So we can gang up on KG. :)

I would love to, but I think you and KG should go to wave 1...Carolyn will be there too (and Rae too, I think)...we could send him back to the chamber for pain relief again!!!

Yeah, but... my goal is to promote by conference. And I can't walk if my Director's not there. :cry:See-- this is why we need the all-CS wave!

chefann said:
Yeah, but... my goal is to promote by conference. And I can't walk if my Director's not there. :cry:

See-- this is why we need the all-Chef Success wave!

But what would we do with KG's ignore list?!?!?!:D :D

And mine. Simple, we'd ignore them! :D

chefann said:
Yeah, but... my goal is to promote by conference. And I can't walk if my Director's not there. :cry:

See-- this is why we need the all-Chef Success wave!

With conversations like this one, I'm sure HO would love to keep us (or at least you three) seperated from the general public!

baychef said:
I would love to, but I think you and KG should go to wave 1...Carolyn will be there too (and Rae too, I think)...we could send him back to the chamber for pain relief again!!!
ahem....I'm also in Wave #3. Ann and I have a deal to walk that stage together! So, ya'll just need to come to our wave and cheer us on.

pamperedlinda said:
ahem....I'm also in Wave #3. Ann and I have a deal to walk that stage together! So, ya'll just need to come to our wave and cheer us on.

We will cheer SO loud that you will still be able to hear us when Wave 3 stage walkers start walking!!!!

baychef said:
They may take a longer amount of time to shine those milky white Tatas, than the silicone type. But guys love to shine and buff their Tatas.:yuck:
Don't forget to buy a bra for your new Tata.

carbra_classic.jpg

pamperedlinda said:

I'll be at Wave 3 cheering you on:p ! Maybe if I'm lucky I'll walk stage too! Although my first recruit is going inactive this month:yuck:!

baychef said:
But what would we do with KG's ignore list?!?!?!:D :D
chefann said:
And mine.

Simple, we'd ignore them! :D

I'm having badges made up for all of them.

ignore_badge.jpg

<giggle>
That's really funny. Especially because there's an episode of a show called "Venture Brothers" in which a character (a robot from outer space) tells the regular characters in a big, booming voice, "Ignore me!"

1. Who was Vampira?

Vampira, also known as Maila Nurmi, was a television personality who created the iconic character of Vampira in 1954. She hosted a television show in Los Angeles that featured horror movies.

2. What inspired Vampira's character?

Vampira's character was inspired by Charles Addams' macabre cartoons. Her dark, gothic style and sense of humor became a trend-setting influence in the entertainment industry.

3. How long did Vampira's television show last?

Vampira's show only lasted one year, but it inspired a wave of local horror hosts all over the country.

4. Who did Vampira sue?

Vampira sued Cassandra Peterson, the creator and actress behind Elvira, Mistress of the Dark. Nurmi claimed that Peterson copied her character and made a fortune, but her $10 million lawsuit was unsuccessful.

5. How did Vampira's character make a comeback?

Vampira made a brief appearance in Ed Wood's infamous movie Plan Nine From Outer Space, and her character also appeared in Tim Burton's biopic about Wood. Additionally, she was featured in a Los Angeles parade where she rode in a 1951 hearse, and she will be taken to her final resting place in that same hearse.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
sharalam
  • KellyTheChef
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
raebates
Back