• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Switching to Mac: Compatibility with P3 and Data Concerns

In summary, switching to the Mac world may be a good idea if you are not computer savvy or if you have data that is not compatible with your current computer. Pages and Word for Mac are both available on the Mac.
Chef Kearns
Gold Member
I am thinking about switching over to the Mac world. I am not very computer savvy, so having a computer that may not be compatible with all of my data (Word docs) and or P3 makes me nervous. Should I be worried? How can I best use both my dying laptop at home and my IPad for shows and as my main computer?

Is P3 Mac compatitble? Will I have problems?

P3 is compatible with Mac! I love mine but I've always been a Mac girl! They even have word for Mac.

Yes, they have Word for Mac but I don't use it. I've been a Mac guy since 2004. In place of Word, I use Pages, and you can save stuff in .doc format too. But, if you want to use Word, there's nothing wrong with Word for Mac.I love my Mac and would never switch back to a PC. Once you go Mac, you never go back! ;)

leftymac said:
Yes, they have Word for Mac but I don't use it. I've been a Mac guy since 2004. In place of Word, I use Pages, and you can save stuff in .doc format too. But, if you want to use Word, there's nothing wrong with Word for Mac.

I love my Mac and would never switch back to a PC. Once you go Mac, you never go back! ;)

I used Mac back in high school before I even knew there was a difference! I use a PC at work all day and that computer drives me so crazy!!

Chef Kearns said:
How can I best use both my dying laptop at home and my IPad for shows and as my main computer?

Just remember, and iPad is not a computer. You will not be able to run P3 on it. I know it's a very simplified comparison, but think of an iPad as a big iPod that can handle a few apps that are made specifically for it.

So, I can't run P3 on it?!! Are you sure? That would be a deal breaker! However, I like the book reading option. I've wanted at Kindle-type device, but don't really like the ones currently on the market. I like the page flipping feature of the IPad.

P3 is not an application that will work on the iPad. Positively, absolutely .. will not work.

Dang it!!!

No P3 on the iPad. However, I would invest in a Mac laptop. I looooove my Mac <3 And just as Keith said, "once you go Mac, you never go back!" Truer words have never been spoken (or written ;) )

Well, it seems you've already gotten a couple of answers. :D

An iPad is a big fancy iPod or iPhone. It runs apps - special software applications available from the developers that submit them to Apple. They have to be approved by Apple, have to be specially made to work on the iPad, and are only available through Apple's iTunes store (or whatever it's called these days). There are plenty of apps to choose from, and many of them are very practical, and you can do a lot with an iPad. But there isn't an iPad app of P3, and I doubt there will be (though it'd be cool).

That being said, there is a Mac version of P3 that you can install on a MacBook. I have not switched to Mac, but pretty much everyone else I know that has agrees with Keith. Once you go Mac, you never go back.

I might have to stash away some dough to get a MacBook in a couple of years. I think I will keep my dying laptop for P3 mainly. I've totally been sold on the IBooks function of the IPad. I really only do FB, email and CS (or DCS) on my computer. Of course I do manage my Word Docs as well. Hmmmmm...

I really am hating my PC!! I'm a little worried for all of the cc info stored on my P3 with this virus. I've got a horrible virus on my laptop right now. The encryption that Pampered Chef puts on the cc info area would protect the numbers, right?

Just another person who has fallen in love with her Mac. I have a MacBook, and I love love love it. NEVER do I get the blue screen of death or with my computer freezing up while I'm using it. I'm sooo spoiled by how quick it is...when I have to use another computer, I just get immensely frustrated.

I don't use Word either. I use Open Office. It's free, and it opens practically everything (except publisher stuff).

Does anyone else get pop-ups when surfing on or opening up Chef Success or Director Success? That's been happening alot lately!! Really only since I got this virus. My husband thinks that pop-ups have been added to this site.

Chef Kearns said:
Does anyone else get pop-ups when surfing on or opening up Chef Success or Director Success? That's been happening alot lately!! Really only since I got this virus. My husband thinks that pop-ups have been added to this site.

No, because I'm on the Mac. ;)

I'm on a PC and I don't get pop-ups. Do you have a virus blocker like webroot? That's what I use and it will quarantine stuff. How frustrating for you, sorry you are struggling with this.Marghi

Thanks for your help guys!

I have a nook and an ipad will be selling my nook ibooks are soooo much easier to read on it

As far as what type of protection...I'm not sure. I never used to get pop-ups and according to my Options they are currently blocked. We also have Norton 360 running right now. I'm going to get something else because it drives me crazy to be in the middle of something and have my computer completely freeze on me or not start when I need it to.

Chef Kearns said:
As far as what type of protection...I'm not sure. I never used to get pop-ups and according to my Options they are currently blocked. We also have Norton 360 running right now. I'm going to get something else because it drives me crazy to be in the middle of something and have my computer completely freeze on me or not start when I need it to.

there are a lot of good programs out there that don't use too much of your computer's memory like Norton/McAfee. And you have to keep them updated, your program, whether Norton or McAfee or any of the others, should be set to get regular updates so it recognizes new viruses and other bad guys.

Most of the people in the IT department at my company use either webroot or Trend Micro.

Cnet.com is a review site that's a good source for info on software and other computer stuff, and even consumer reports may be able to advise you on getting good protection. I know, the horse is already out of the barn, but you don't want anything else getting in, and eventually you will get the problem fixed or the computer replaced....

Good luck
Marghi

Is Pampered Chef considering developing a P3 "lite" app that can be ran on the iPad? It would be great if they would. Have been a MAC user for 6 years now and thankfully they finally released P3 for Mac a couple of years back - finally got away from Parallels and Windows. The software is so much more stable.

napoleon99 said:
Is Pampered Chef considering developing a P3 "lite" app that can be ran on the iPad? It would be great if they would. Have been a MAC user for 6 years now and thankfully they finally released P3 for Mac a couple of years back - finally got away from Parallels and Windows. The software is so much more stable.

You'd have to ask Tech Support about that. They probably wouldn't announce something like that until it was ready to be rolled out.

leftymac said:
I love my Mac and would never switch back to a PC. Once you go Mac, you never go back! ;)
:D:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::D

Here's hoping PChef will rollout P3 in Canada very very soon, so I can stop running PP in a virtual machine. Even though I can't use PP on my Mac without the virtual machine, I would never consider going back to a PC - ever. They are simply not worth the hassle it creates for everything else computer related. Macs rule:sing:

D.

napoleon99 said:

A P3 App would be SWEEt!!!! There have been a few occasions out and about I wished I had access to it on my I phone.

I really doubt HO would do an iPad app - at least not for a while - we've only had the Mac version of P3 for less than two years I think.

Why do you think it would be too difficult for them to create a P3 app? I think it could be 2 years or less away.

I would welcome an APP that would just figure out the HOST total for me. Something where you can put in the total sales.. and BAM here's your Benefits and when you punch in the prices and tax it figures the total. THat would help a lot - I could close shows THAT night some times then.

Yes I realize that I could use a laptop, but seriously stuff is heavy enough without adding that to the load. And got a new desktop because it was a better value!

But carrying the IPAD wouldn't be so bad. The APP should have a virtual catalog, a Host order totaler and a function to e-mail the result. That would be useful to me.

deanna

FYI-just checked with Tech Support and PP+ does not work with the IPAD. They are working on it, but not close. Maybe next year

Malinda Klein said:
FYI-just checked with Tech Support and PP+ does not work with the IPAD. They are working on it, but not close. Maybe next year

OOOOOOOO!! Good to know they are working on it! I'm thinking about trying to get one this year for myself. I have a friend who I can easily bribe with baked goods and fresh supplies of jam to write apps for the iPad/iTouch devices and I have a few ideas that I'd love to have (organizational tools).

If P3 was able to work on it too, that'd be nice!

I called Tech support yesterday to see if there was anything on the horizon for the IPad, they told me no....not this year, probably not ever. Frustrating because my computer guy says there are companies out there will write apps for the IPad for free....

Chef Kearns said:
So, I can't run P3 on it?!! Are you sure? That would be a deal breaker! However, I like the book reading option. I've wanted at Kindle-type device, but don't really like the ones currently on the market. I like the page flipping feature of the IPad.

I had the same question and called tech support and they said P3 will not run on the iPad. But the guy I talked to said there had been many questions about this and that maybe in the future.

Thanks for keeping the fire lit for this. I really would LOVE an iPad app for P3. The way almost every other tech thing has hiccups at first that PC releases I would be a little nervous at first. The only thing is it has to be able to sync to our main computers. That's the kicker!

Nanisu said:
I called Tech support yesterday to see if there was anything on the horizon for the IPad, they told me no....not this year, probably not ever. Frustrating because my computer guy says there are companies out there will write apps for the IPad for free....

And I bet they said that about P3 on Macs too. ;)
When something becomes the "thing", they eventually get on board.

I just picked up an iPad2 this morning.
I realize that P3 will not work on it, but, I was thinking we could probably use it in a different way.
Set up the show online. Add the contacts as Guests and input their orders their. This should then be able to calculate the shipping/taxes and then import them into P3.
Any reason this would not work?

Just check because on my iPod, my PWS isn't fully functioning due to the flash based system of things. My cousin kept trying to place orders on her iPod and it would only go through as an individual order. The prompts regarding putting an order on a show never came.

KimoMakano said:
I just picked up an iPad2 this morning.

Where did you get one? We keep hearing that they are sold out everywhere. DH got one the night they became available and gave me his older one. We are a Mac family with the exception of two laptops that the kids use to home school. Once those die, they will most definitely be replaced with Macs!!! No question about it.

"Windoze" has seen the last of me. LOL!

I called tech support and asked them about future stuff for the ipad and they flat told me NO. Which suprises me becauser there are tons of people out there who will write FREE apps for the ipad--sometimes I wish tech support would step it up a bit.

Nanisu said:
I called tech support and asked them about future stuff for the ipad and they flat told me NO. Which suprises me becauser there are tons of people out there who will write FREE apps for the ipad--sometimes I wish tech support would step it up a bit.

They said the same thing about P3 if I remember correctly, but later they made it Mac-compatible. It may not happen soon, but eventually, I'd bet they'll get someone smart enough in tech support to make it happen. (someone younger, perhaps? HAHA).

winklermom said:
Where did you get one? We keep hearing that they are sold out everywhere. DH got one the night they became available and gave me his older one. We are a Mac family with the exception of two laptops that the kids use to home school. Once those die, they will most definitely be replaced with Macs!!! No question about it.

"Windoze" has seen the last of me. LOL!

I picked my up at the Apple store in Honolulu (Kahala Mall).
I got there at 4 in the morning to wait in line, and I was still number 7!!

KimoMakano said:
I picked my up at the Apple store in Honolulu (Kahala Mall).
I got there at 4 in the morning to wait in line, and I was still number 7!!

I hear ya! DH was in line the day they came out. Didn't actually go to get into line but met up with a friend who was already in line and talked DH into joining him. DH was VERY reluctant to join him but finally did was able to pick up an iPad 2 and then gave me his first gen!! YAY! I love reading from my Kindle app!

In our family, we have:

1 ~ MacBook Pro
2 ~ MacBooks
3 ~ iPhones (2 ~ 3GS & 1 ~ 4G)
1 ~ iPod Touch
2 ~ iPads (one first gen and one iPad 2)
And I've lost count of how many iPods we have floating around here. I still have a first gen iPod (ya know, the big white one) and still haven't filled that thing up!!!

We also plan to get our daughter a MacBook for her graduation this year. :angel:

Once we made the switch, we haven't looked back.

Once we made the switch, we haven't looked back.
Amen to that! And we've converted alot of family and friends along the way too! NO one has called to chew us out for convincing them to go that route. In fact, some of them who are still "mixed homes" with Windows machines still, are just aching to get rid of them, but obviously, you usually have to switch to Macs gradually because of the cost.I can't wait to get an iPad. I like the idea of getting my DH an iPad 2 and then taking his first gen. He'd go for that in a heartbeat (although, I bet in the long run, I'd use it for more practical things than him...haha).

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• esavvymom
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
lt1jane
  • Intrepid_Chef
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
Intrepid_Chef
  • kcmckay