• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Director Horrifying House Hoarding: My Host Apartment Experience

In summary, the host's apartment was cluttered and there was no where to put the guest's things. The host had to move the pet cages off the table to make room for the guest's things.
flemings99
Gold Member
Have you ever seen an episode of Hording? Now, I'm not one to judge b/c we do have clutter; however, I walked into my host apartment this morning and FREAKED out inside!!!

1st there was NO WHERE to put my stuff. (like set it down) and no table top space or counter space. Everything was filled with "stuff" or dirty dishes. I mean piled as high as possible. YUCK!

Luckily I always make my first trip in with just my guest packets. Man, was I un-doing my crate. What can I leave in my "clean" car.?!?!!! I asked the host where she planned on the party being...(while inside thinking yea right) and she said here in the living room with all 1 feet of floor clearance. I asked if she had a table I could use and she told me she'd have her husband move the 3 pet cages off the table and I could use that. He did manage to find a spot to put the 3 large cages and then proceeded to sweep up the huge pile of "cage mess" off the table. YUCK! Here you go. They did clean if with some spray stuff. "insert VOMIT here". :yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck:

Oh, the best part...2 guest who obviously have 0 in the bank.

So, I paid a sitter this morning. Sent invites on my dime. Used a bunch of pantry items (b/c the host insisted on going ahead with the full pantry show we'd planned). And came home with NO ORDERS!! But hey, one of the gals booked a show. I can only imagine what her place might look like. :cry::bawl::yuck:

Bottom line: I came home grateful for the things I have and thankful for my "clean" house. And the can of Lysol I used on my bags prior to bringing them back into my home.

You did your job, you made the best of it... and you get to come home to your clean house and clean mind. I am convinced that how they live is an outward representation of the inside of their minds

(((hugs))) I did one house that was super nasty like that. The carpet smelled like pet urine & feces. The kitchen cabinets were piled high with dirty dishes. And one of the multitude of guest children who had been playing upstairs came down & announced that the hosts son had pooped on the floor. The host admitted knowing that. Apparently it happened BEFORE the show started ... I guess she left it there? I didn't go up to check.This was on the military base in Japan. I'm so glad I wasn't the person given that house AFTER they moved out. Yick!!!Then I had another host, the ONLY show I've ever done where NO ONE showed up for the show. She didn't have a table at all. She was cooking dinner for her kids when I arrived. She sat them on the floor to eat. When the cat tried to share their plate of food she scolded the kids for pushing him away, telling them that he wouldn't eat much. :yuck:I don't have a spotless house and there's pretty much always a toy somewhere in the floor ... even though I make them clean before nap, before bed & before we walk out the door to go anywhere. My 2 year old likes to bring me diet cokes from the fridge, so I usually have an empty can or two sitting on the table beside the couch. But my mess is "clutter" not downright filth. Yick. Man, now I need to go get that pumpkin off my counter & throw it out in the dumpster. That's the nastiest thing I can think of in my house to go clean right now. LOL

I had a party like that when I was pregnant with my daughter. I was in the business less than 1 year. It was 11 am and I was 8 months pregnant, the house was incredible dirty. There were dirty dishes and flies everywhere. I don't use the word disgusting lightly and she was drinking "iced tea". It was more like a Long Island iced tea. We had 2 guest and the show never qualified and it was at that moment that I decided that this is my business and I get to leave if I am ever in a situation like that again. Luckly, I have never been in one like that. We have the right to leave.

I did leave on the 2nd one, since no guests showed up.

I stayed on the first one because so many guests were there. I figured if they could hack it, I could too. The sales were not anything huge, but I got a $600 (male) Catalog Host off that show & he & his wife still come back to me for purchases. So it was worth me having to shower & clean out my nose to remove the stench when I got home.

Oh, when you are in that type of environment, you have to do like the police/fire/EMT/Medical Examiners do after responding to a death scenes ... and actually clean out your nose too. The odor attaches to your nose hairs. It's not psychological that you think you can still smell it 3 hours later ... you are actually STILL smelling it! (If only one of you remember that & apply it, it will be worth the share, right? ;))

Great! I've been walking around with a dirty nose all day! LOL Thanks for the heads up if there is a "next" time.

What is "Horrifying House Hoarding: My Host Apartment Experience"?

"Horrifying House Hoarding: My Host Apartment Experience" is a personal account written by someone who had a traumatic experience living in a hoarded apartment as a guest of a host on a popular short-term rental platform.

What makes this experience horrifying?

The author describes the apartment as being filled with piles of garbage, clutter, and vermin. The conditions were unsanitary and unsafe, and the host was unresponsive to requests for help or to clean up the space.

Did the author seek help or report the situation?

Yes, the author contacted the rental platform and local authorities, but they were unable to provide immediate assistance. The author also tried to reach out to the host, but received no response.

What warning signs should I look out for when booking a short-term rental?

Some warning signs of a potentially hoarded or unsafe rental include limited or vague photos of the space, lack of reviews, and poor communication from the host. If you have any concerns, it is best to trust your instincts and find a different place to stay.

What steps can I take to protect myself when booking a short-term rental?

Before booking, thoroughly research the rental and host, read reviews from previous guests, and ask for more photos or information if needed. Once you arrive, inspect the space for cleanliness and safety. If you have any concerns, contact the rental platform and local authorities for assistance.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• dannyzmom
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
pamperedbecky
  • pamperedlinda
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
tpchefpattie
  • Sheila