• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Are There Any Low Sodium/Salt-Free Recipes Available?

In summary, experts do not agree on low-salt recipes. Some suggest finding recipes without added salt, while others suggest modifying recipes to remove unhealthy ingredients. There are also many options for low-salt meals that do not require modifications to convenience foods.
Beth1170
I have searched and you all have discussed fat-free, sugar-free, gluten-free, wheat-free, and nut-free recipes but not low-salt/salt-free.
I had a booth yesterday and had a gentleman request low-salt recipes. I was going to go through the "It's Good for you" cookbook and send him a few.
I was hoping that someone has had this request in the past and has a booklet already done up. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Bumping. Still looking for suggestions. Thanks

My husband had a heart attack in September and while I had already considered myself to be a low sodium household since I didn't ADD salt to anything, I was shocked at how difficult it is to make a meal using ANY convenience foods for less than 300 mg of sodium per meal. Because of this, I actually can't serve my family most of our recipes without major modifications. It's sad how much sodium there is in everything that isn't fully homemade. I even have to do many of my seasonings from scratch (like Seafood seasoning, etc.)

Have you tried the Grilled Chicken Penne from last year?I always make this without adding salt and with the low sodium chicken broth. You can also get sodium FREE bouillon and make it in advance. It kinda tastes like cup of soup but probably not noticeable with all the flavors mixed in. Watch your label .... the sodium differs greatly from brand to brand.My friend's pastor's wife is allergic to MSG and makes her own broth from chickens and freezes it so she can have real chicken broth. I've tried fresh chicken broth, however, and it is really tasteless without salt.Another option is a dessert ... you usually don't use salt in those.

Just read your labels! You would be shocked at the hidden sodium and sugars in things you would never suspect! If they take out fat, sugar or salt then they have increased the things they left in that are not good for you!:yuck: Can't win!

Low fat peanut butter replaces the fat with sugar.IQF Chicken Breast often contains a mix of sodium and sometimes sugar.Low fat dairy products, however, are generally free of additives.

1. What are some good substitutes for salt in low sodium/salt-free recipes?

Some great alternatives for adding flavor in low sodium/salt-free recipes include herbs and spices, citrus juices, vinegar, and low sodium broth or stock. You can also experiment with using different types of salt-free seasoning blends or make your own using ingredients like garlic powder, onion powder, and dried herbs.

2. Can I still use canned or processed ingredients in low sodium/salt-free recipes?

While it's always best to use fresh ingredients when possible, you can still use canned or processed ingredients in low sodium/salt-free recipes. Just be sure to look for options labeled as "no salt added" or "low sodium" and rinse any canned vegetables or beans to reduce the sodium content.

3. How can I make meals more flavorful without adding salt?

There are many ways to add flavor to meals without using salt. You can use a variety of herbs and spices, garlic and onion, citrus juices, and low sodium sauces or marinades. Cooking techniques such as roasting, grilling, and sautéing can also enhance the natural flavors of ingredients without relying on salt.

4. Are there any specific ingredients I should avoid when cooking low sodium/salt-free recipes?

Some ingredients to watch out for when cooking low sodium/salt-free recipes include canned soups, sauces, and condiments, as well as cured or processed meats like bacon and deli meats. These tend to be high in sodium. You should also limit your use of table salt and opt for other seasoning options instead.

5. Can I still enjoy tasty desserts on a low sodium/salt-free diet?

Yes, you can still enjoy desserts while following a low sodium/salt-free diet. Many fruits and vegetables make great dessert options, and you can also use unsalted butter or oil, unsweetened cocoa powder, and other natural sweeteners like honey or maple syrup to create delicious treats. Just be sure to limit your intake of pre-packaged desserts, which often contain high levels of sodium.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• jen123
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
Juddel
  • aslion
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
Intrepid_Chef
  • EmilyStraw