• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Low Iodine Diet? No Dairy, Seafood or Processed...

In summary, the conversation is about a friend of a friend who is starting a low iodine diet for their child who is in remission. The person is asking for help and ideas on quick and easy meals to make for the child and their siblings. Suggestions include using herbs and spices, making homemade sauces and dressings, and checking out online recipes for inspiration. The group offers support and well wishes for the child's recovery.
kcjodih
Gold Member
Hi all,

I have a friend of a friend that just posted this on facebook. Zack is starting his low iodine diet tomorrow. So many restrictions no dairy, no seafood, no processed food. God I wish I was a better cook!

This child is in remission and that's about all I know. She posted a week ago that he has been off his meds for a week getting ready for more testing at Sick Kids Hospital in 2 weeks. He feels crappy and is very cranky!

I'd love to help her if I can...with help from you all that is! I have NO idea!

Any ideas for quick easy meals besides just salad and bbq for him and his 3 brothers that a busy mom can get on the table?

Thanks in advance!

I would have to recommend Google search and adapt it. I am sure she is overwhelmed, so if you can come up with a few ideas with the search, it might get her started?

Also try Whole Foods - they have wodnerful products there and recipes too. My grandson, thank God, is healthy but severly allergic to all dairy, eggs & tree nuts, so my daughter has had to adapt alot and sings the praises of Whole Foods. You could make lasagna & such with dairy free/sodiuim free cheeses

We are the reverse, I have to increase my daughters iodine intake due to a thyroid problem so I am no help here. But Whole foods has a ton of recipes online that might be a good starting point.

Hi there!

I completely understand how challenging it can be to cook for someone on a restricted diet, especially when it comes to children. But don't worry, I'm here to help!

There are actually plenty of delicious and easy meals that you can make for your friend's child on a low iodine diet. Some ideas include: grilled chicken or fish with steamed vegetables, quinoa stir-fry with tofu and veggies, lentil soup with whole grain bread, and roasted vegetables with brown rice.

Another tip is to use herbs and spices to add flavor to the meals, since they are allowed on a low iodine diet. You can also make homemade sauces and dressings with non-iodized salt and other approved ingredients to enhance the taste of the dishes.

I would also recommend checking out our low iodine diet recipes on our website for more inspiration. And if you have any specific questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out. We are here to support you and your friend during this time.

Wishing your friend's child a speedy recovery and sending lots of positive thoughts their way. Take care!

1. What is a low iodine diet?

A low iodine diet is a temporary eating plan that restricts the intake of foods high in iodine. This includes dairy products, seafood, and processed foods. The purpose of this diet is to reduce the amount of iodine in the body, which can help with certain medical conditions.

2. Why do I need to avoid dairy, seafood, and processed foods on a low iodine diet?

These foods are high in iodine, which can interfere with the effectiveness of the low iodine diet. By avoiding these foods, the body’s iodine levels can be lowered, making the diet more effective.

3. How long do I need to follow a low iodine diet?

The length of time for a low iodine diet can vary depending on the specific medical condition it is being used for. It is important to follow the diet as directed by your healthcare provider.

4. Can I still eat fruits and vegetables on a low iodine diet?

Yes, fruits and vegetables are generally low in iodine and can be included in a low iodine diet. However, it is important to avoid any fruits or vegetables that are grown in iodine-rich soil.

5. Are there any alternatives to dairy, seafood, and processed foods on a low iodine diet?

Yes, there are many alternatives to these foods that are low in iodine. Some examples include almond milk instead of dairy milk, tofu or beans instead of seafood, and homemade meals instead of processed foods. Your healthcare provider or a registered dietitian can provide more specific recommendations.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
sharalam
  • kcjodih
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
chefhutch04
Replies
Views
dannyzmom