• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Low Fat Strawberry Delight for Cooking Club

In summary, Jennifer is assembling a trifle and has run out of strawberry jello. She decided to use 1/3 boiling water and the remaining packet of strawberry jello with 2 cups of cool whip and it turned out great.
4kids4me
I need to bring a dish to a cooking club on Wed. I have fresh strawberries. The moms have asked for something low fat. I was thinking of layering angel food cake pieces, cool whip and strawberries. would that be enough? I've never done one and honestly don't have a clue what I"m doing, lol. I think the way I want to do it will be too dry. Any suggestions?? Should I toss the strawberries with sugar first?

That would be enough. Or, you can fold in some dry strawberry jello to the cool whip..it tastes yummy! Tip: let the jello/cool whip mixture start to set just a tiny bit, or else you'll end up with a pool at the bottom of your fridge!

I did the same thing for a low fat show last weekend, but also added no fat/no sugar instant vanilla pudding made with skin milk. Everyone LOVED it!

Ok, now you're giving me decisions to make?!?! They both sound so good. maybe a layer of each? :D

Make some cream cheese flavored pudding w/ skim milk, and fold in cool whip (I use 10 oz from a 12 oz container) Layer angel food cake, strawberries, and the pudding/cool whip mixture. On the top, using your EAD, make Rosettes w/ the remaining Cool Whip, and take a few reserved strawberries and make strawberry fans w/ the Egg Slicer, and arrange those between the rosettes......low fat, delicious, and very pretty!

Maybe throw in a cliced kiwi or some fresh mint to being more color.

Here is a pic of my trifle with the strawberry jello folded in to the cool whip..... but I also added some food coloring to the angel food cake, to practice for HWC...
http://www.jlknapp.com/pamperedchef/HWCtrifle.jpg

Or chocolate fat free pudding. :)

They all sound so good. Love the pic!

The pic is GORGEOUS! It helps me to have a visual of what this is supposed to look like. :D

Jennifer, your trifle looks greate. Could you please post the recipe? Thanks so much.

Not really a recipe...well sort of is!Made an angel food cake, tinted with food coloring for the pink color (HWC)
Made the mixture...2 tubs cool whip ("Free") + 2 packets strawberry jello dissolved in 2/3 cup boiling water.....fold/whip together. (or, some people are saying that you don't have to dissolve the jello....you can just sprinkle and mix the powder right in to the cool whip, so that is what I will do from now on!)
Sliced strawberries....
layer chunks of angel food cake, mixture, strawberries, and repeat. Piped cool whip on top with EAD.

Well, I'm assembling the trifle tonight - had to run to the store to get the strawberry jello because I wanted to use your recipe, Gillian. However, I wanted to take the easy route and just mix the jello powder with the cool whip. Big mistake! I don't know what I did wrong, but the jello didn't dissolve or anything, it made it crunchy. You could feel every granule of the powder - ew! SO, then I only had 1 box of jello left - God forbid I buy extra, right? So I used 1/3 boiling water and the remaining packet and combined that with 2 cups of cool whip. It ROCKS! It isn't overwhelmingly sweet at all - very subtle, but still has a beautiful pink color!!!!

Wondering if anyone else had better luck with the jello packet direclty in cool whip.

TIA! -Deb

Aww, I am SO Sorry!! Like I said, I hadn't tried it yet.....but others had mentioned that they had, and were successful! But I am happy that the 2nd time worked for you :)

It was kind of funny, really. Made like crunchy cool whip. Didn't stop me from dipping the angelfood in it, haha! I barely had enough to finish my trifle after my little pig out session - oops! I think if I do it again, I'll do 1 packet of jello with all that cool whip - it tastes amazing. YUMMMMY!

I will bet that after the coolwhip/jello powder mixture sits overnight that it wouldn't be "crunchy" anymore...that it will disolve. Did you save any of it to taste this morning?

4kids4me said:
It was kind of funny, really. Made like crunchy cool whip. Didn't stop me from dipping the angelfood in it, haha! I barely had enough to finish my trifle after my little pig out session - oops! I think if I do it again, I'll do 1 packet of jello with all that cool whip - it tastes amazing. YUMMMMY!

I am addicted to it! And it really isn't too bad for you... The best thing (not a trifle) is..... I made an angel food cake in the fluted pan, inverted it on the SA platter. Made the coolwhip/jello mixture, and while it was still pretty runny, pour it over the cake! It covers it perfectly....then you can throw it in the fridge and it will set just enough, and won't make the cake mushy!! Next, you'll have to try raspberry jello! I actually like it better than the strawberry!

Ooh, those sound good, too!
Yes, I do have some of the crunchy jello left over - it's not so much crunchy, but the texture feels a little bumpy. I"m amazed the crunch is gone! Well, back to the store to get more angel food so I can eat all this, too.
And I was doing so well with my treadmill - 2 whole days in a row, lol! :)

I Would Think It Would Work With The Jello. I Do That With Capacciono (?) Powder. Mix It In Real Good With The Thawed Coolwhip And Hten Freeze And Its A Great Treat!!!

I Will Have To Try This Out Though Wheni Get My Trifle Bowl!

abrahamlaur said:
I Would Think It Would Work With The Jello. I Do That With Capacciono (?) Powder. Mix It In Real Good With The Thawed Coolwhip And Hten Freeze And Its A Great Treat!!!

I Will Have To Try This Out Though Wheni Get My Trifle Bowl!

Ohhh that is a good idea! I love ice cream, but try to stay away from it..and this could be a yummy, healthy frozen treat in the summer!

I have a feeling that since the jello powder didn't work, the jello started to solidify when it hit the cold coolwhip.....

Here is the recipe that I use for a set-up for a Relay for life fundraiser at my local health department. They were having their own fundraiser that day - it was a salad luncheon, so I wanted the dessert to be healthy, so I made this dessert with regular Angel Food Cake, sugar free strawberry jell-o, sugar/fat free cheesecake pudding and light cool whip. These ladies ate the whole thing, not even a drop left behind, they used my HWC skinny scraper to clean out the bowl, it was very funny

~

Attachments

• RECIPE CARD - Angel Food Delight 001.doc
    78 KB · Views: 348
  • RECIPE CARD - Angel Food Delight 002.doc
    27.5 KB · Views: 300
  • Trifle at Health Department 001 - 4-11-07.jpg
    Trifle at Health Department 001 - 4-11-07.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 526
Theresa, I love your display!! What a great way to make sure that they saw the trifle bowl host special!

I'm home from the cooking club - only 3 other moms today with their kids (5 kids - and my 5) and it is EMPTY. I mean, not just empty, but they used a scraper to get every little bit out of it! It was fantastic, they were all raving about it. And one mom even ordered the trifle! :D Yahoo!

Thanks for all your help on this one!!! I'll be making it again very soon...

OK Jen - I am having a total brain freeze. So let me make sure I have this right.

You made the angel food cake instead of store bought right? I am assuming you added the food coloring to the batter before baking (told you it was a brain freeze).

Then you mixed the jello and room temperature cool whip together. Layered the angel food cake, strawberries & cool whip mixture in the bowl.

I have 2 shows in May and this would be really simple but I want to make sure I have it right

Call me a dumb blonde, but I"m not getting the jello and cool whip thing. Do you make the jello as directed, or fold just the dry mix in with the cook whip?? Please help me understand this - I think I want to do it for my show Friday night!

I'm bumping this up....really need to know about this - it sounds SO good!

lkspeir said:
Call me a dumb blonde, but I"m not getting the jello and cool whip thing. Do you make the jello as directed, or fold just the dry mix in with the cook whip?? Please help me understand this - I think I want to do it for my show Friday night!
Here's what I did. I only had one box of jello left since the disaster with the crunchy cool whip. I mixed 1/3 cup boiling water with the powder and mixed til dissolved. Then I folded in the cool whip and mixed til completely blended. Set it in the fridge for a half hour (while I ran on the treadmill, lol) and then I completed my trifle. I used store bought angel food cake, cut into cubes (though tearing would be much faster), a layer of sliced strawberries - I used a whole pint for each layer, and then half the coolwhip and repeated. It makes a beautiful hue of pink! It is SO good! I am not sure on points (WW) because I have no idea how many servings. I mean, for me, it would make 2 servings, lol!!!

4kids4me said:
Here's what I did. I only had one box of jello left since the disaster with the crunchy cool whip. I mixed 1/3 cup boiling water with the powder and mixed til dissolved. Then I folded in the cool whip and mixed til completely blended. Set it in the fridge for a half hour (while I ran on the treadmill, lol) and then I completed my trifle. I used store bought angel food cake, cut into cubes (though tearing would be much faster), a layer of sliced strawberries - I used a whole pint for each layer, and then half the coolwhip and repeated. It makes a beautiful hue of pink! It is SO good! I am not sure on points (WW) because I have no idea how many servings. I mean, for me, it would make 2 servings, lol!!!

Thanks for explaining it! I did make my own angel food cake though...I prefer the density, rather than a store bought. (Plus, I wanted to make it pink!) ...So yes, I added a few drops of food coloring as I whipped it until I got the hue I wanted. Also, you probably don't have to wait 30 mins for the mixture to set....you just want it not really runny (or else it will pool at the bottom of the bowl). I used 1 angel food cake, tore it (def easier than cutting!) 2 tubs of cool whip and 2 packets of jello (dissolved in 2/3 cup water), and 1 container of strawberries, sliced. That to me seemed to fill the bowl nicely. Oh, I did have a 3rd container of cool whip so that the top would be white... I think I folded the other 1/2 in to the mixture.

Thank you!! The mud is clear now! I can't wait to try it. I'm going to make a trial run tonight.

Gillian, I hope I explained it well. :D

I saw the other recipe jello and pudding, and can't imagine how that tastes. What flavor combo did you use or have you tried?

I'm so hooked on these!!!

jenniferknapp said:
Here is a pic of my trifle with the strawberry jello folded in to the cool whip..... but I also added some food coloring to the angel food cake, to practice for HWC...
http://www.jlknapp.com/pamperedchef/HWCtrifle.jpg
Yummy!! I made a version of Jennifer's trifle for my HWC fundraiser show last night and it was awesome!! I only used one packet of the strawberry jello, disolved in 2/3 cup of boiling water, then folded that into the cool whip. I used regular cool whip, though, because I've found the fat free doesn't really hold well, at least when you do the EAD little "peaks.". But it was awesome!!! I also didn't use the two packets of jello because I wanted a softer, lighter pink. It worked great! I'm going to make it again for my show tomorrow night. OH and I just used store-bought Angel Food Cake. I was going for FAST and EASY>

Thanks for sharing the recipe, Jennifer!!:D

1) Is this dish low in fat?

Yes, this dish is low in fat as it is made with angel food cake pieces, which are typically low in fat, and cool whip, which is a low-fat alternative to whipped cream.

2) How can I incorporate fresh strawberries into this dish?

You can layer the fresh strawberries with the angel food cake and cool whip to create a delicious low-fat strawberry delight.

3) Will this dish be enough for the cooking club?

It depends on the number of people in the cooking club and their portion sizes. It may be a good idea to make a larger batch to ensure there is enough for everyone to try.

4) I'm worried the dish may be too dry. Do you have any suggestions?

You can try tossing the strawberries with a small amount of sugar to create a light syrup that will add moisture to the dish. Alternatively, you can also use a low-fat strawberry yogurt to add moisture and flavor.

5) I've never made this dish before. Do you have any tips?

Be sure to let the angel food cake pieces thaw before using them in the dish. This will help prevent the dish from becoming too dry. Also, make sure to refrigerate the dish for at least an hour before serving to allow the flavors to combine and the dish to set.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• smilesarepriceless
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
wadesgirl
Replies
Views
dwyerkim
  • sailorsarah
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies