• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How Can We Support Friends and Coworkers Through Multiple Crises?

In summary, a co-worker's brother was in a bad accident and is doing better, an area camp lost a counselor, and a former co-worker was in a motorcycle accident and is paralyzed from the chest down.
janetupnorth
Gold Member
I'm overwhelmed with the burden of prayer for many coworkers and friends, so I'm sharing to lighten the load.

First, we found out late Friday afternoon that a co-worker's brother (who we all know at work since he is a sales rep. for our printer supplies) was in a bad accident about 2 a.m. that morning. He was flighted out and in an induced coma because he had bleeding on his brain. His family didn't know until after 11 a.m. on Friday. As of today, he is out of the induced coma and doing MUCH better. He has no known brain injury - praise God! - but has to deal with wrist, jaw and other injuries and surgeries to come. His name is Bill.

Next, an area camp (not the one we work at) lost a counselor on Saturday. All we know that I can share at this time is that he was a male, college age student and that he drowned. Please pray for the summer and full-time staff of this camp in Wisconsin (God will know which one. ;) ) as they deal with this loss. It was the end of their summer and I know that camp staff gets very close in a summer. This is hurting many people.

Finally, I just got an e-mail this morning about a former co-worker in a bad motorcycle accident on Friday...I will just copy his CaringBridge site story here:
Ryan was involved in a motorcycle accident on Friday, August 7, 2009. The accident occured within a mile or two from his home in Southern Indiana when an SUV traveling in the opposite direction turned left, crossing in front of him, in an attempt to turn into a driveway. He was STAT flighted to University of Louisville Hospital for treatment.

Ryan's injuries were extensive. They include(d): spinal cord injury at T4 level, severe leg injury from the knee down on his right leg, collapsed right lung, bilateral lung contusions, heart contusion and broken collar bone.

The first 48 hours were critical. We knew his injuries were extensive, but were not prepared for the consultation with the doctor on Friday night when we were told to prepare for the worst. Ryan was in "grave condition". His blood pressure was dangerously low and three blood pressure medications being used to their max could not bring it up. Three chest tubes had been placed to keep fluid out of his lungs. Ryan's ventilator was providing 100% support for his breathing, however, blood oxygen saturation and perfusion were still poor. This is all after he had already underwent surgery for his right leg in an attempt to "save it" from a below the knee amputation. We had also been notified by this time that Ryan will be paralyzed from the chest (around the level his nipples) down due to the severity of his spinal cord injury.

Saturday brought minor improvements in regards to blood pressure and oxygen saturation, but we were happy with every little bit of progress. Unfortunately, other complications also arose. There were concerns of sepsis because Ryan had a fever that was as high as 102. Nurses/doctors were also having difficulty locating the pulse in his right foot.

Sunday, 48 hours later...the window of that "critical time" brought about major positive changes. By this time, the ventilator had been decreased to 40% support versus the 100% that he initially started on. His blood pressure was within normal limits with only one blood pressure medication being used and it had been almost entirely weaned. One chest tube had been removed. Oxygen saturation was good. An internal monitoring line had been removed. A suction tube going into his stomach had been removed. His temperature was normal. Pulse was found again in his right foot. A Dobhoff feeding tube was placed. On all bases, our strong man was coming back!!

So here we are now. Starting this site on Monday, close to 72 hours after his accident. We cannot express enough how wonderful all his friends have been. We hope that this will provide all of you with wonderful updates of Ryan's progress and give you a way to share your thoughts and prayers. We know that someday soon Ryan will be looking at these pages with a smile on his face knowing how wonderful his friends and family were during this difficult time. Then he will thank you himself!!

Wow Janet, I'm so sorry to hear all of this news. I will be praying for all of them and know God will hear our prayers.

Take Care,

Alot to pray for.

Praying with you.

On my knees with and for you Janet!

Janet,
Praying for all these people with you.

Praying for all!

Prayers headed upstairs!!

Prayers for Bill and the camp counselor's friends and family. Praise and prayers for Ryan. Prayers also for God to give peace and strength for all the prayer warriors.

I'll keep those in prayer.

Thanks guys! I'm sure all the families truly appreciate it! For the second story, it has now officially hit the news so I can say more. The young man's name is Alex Heidengren from Pittsburgh, PA. He is a pastor's son and was about to be a sophomore at Wheaton College in IL. He was only 18.

Sending prayers!!

What is "Lots of Bad Things Happened..." about?

"Lots of Bad Things Happened..." is a collection of stories and recipes that reflect on the author's experiences with loss, grief, and healing through cooking and sharing food with loved ones.

Who is the author of "Lots of Bad Things Happened..."?

The author of "Lots of Bad Things Happened..." is Chef Pampered, a professional chef and food blogger who shares her personal journey of overcoming tragedy through the power of food.

Are the recipes in "Lots of Bad Things Happened..." suitable for beginners?

Yes, the recipes in "Lots of Bad Things Happened..." are designed to be accessible for all levels of cooking experience. The author provides detailed instructions and tips to ensure success in the kitchen.

Can I find ingredients for the recipes in "Lots of Bad Things Happened..." at my local grocery store?

Most of the ingredients in "Lots of Bad Things Happened..." can be found at your local grocery store. However, some recipes may require specialty ingredients that can be found at specialty food stores or online.

Does "Lots of Bad Things Happened..." include gluten-free or vegan options?

Yes, "Lots of Bad Things Happened..." includes a variety of recipes that cater to different dietary restrictions, including gluten-free and vegan options. The author also provides substitutions and tips for adapting recipes to fit specific dietary needs.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • NooraK
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
babywings76
  • starrmarie
  • General Chat
Replies