• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Looking for Simple Dinner Ideas

In summary, a group of friends are planning a trip to PEI and have rented RVs. They have a tradition of cooking meals for each other and one night they go out for local seafood. The person is looking for meal ideas that are easy to make, won't cost too much, and can feed 12 people including children and adults. Some suggestions are One Pot Pasta, hamburgers with unique toppings, fajitas, and grilled pizza or chicken gyros.
kcjodih
Gold Member
that will feed a crowd. We are heading to PEI in a few weeks to meet up with some friends. We have all rented RVs and are counting the days. This is something we used to do every other year but haven't been able to the last few.

Apparently the other families have started a tradition where every family cooks a meal for everyone two nights of the week. With 3 families this means in a one week stay there's only one night left and that's the night we all go out for dinner for local seafood.

So now I sit here in a panic trying to think of things to make besides spaghetti, hotdogs or hamburgers that won't cost an arm an a leg, won't have me cooking/mixing for hours when we're there to relax and remembering that RV ovens aren't full size. So I'm thinking stovetop or grill since it has a full regular gas bbq.

This needs to feed 12 people: 5 children from 10 to 17 yrs and the rest adults. We do all our grocery shopping on the first day, since the nearest grocery store is an hour away and after that we have one very small convenience store in the area so I need to keep that in mind when thinking of perishables. Lots of freezer space and a regular fridge size.

Anyone bbq'd or RV'd and cooked for many before able to offer some advice, ideas, thoughts? Please :blushing: Thanks in advance!

Creamy One Pot Pasta makes a huge amount, and it's quick. You could make a double batch in two pots - and grill a few chicken breasts to slice and add to it.

I'd do hamburgers but make them special by having unusal condiments like pickled jalapenos and southwestern seasoning in the hamburg meat for a mexican flair, or using greek spice and feta instead of the normal mustard & ketchup.
Maybe I'm misreading your post but it seems like you are putting too much pressure on yourself? I wouldn't mind spaghetti on a camping trip. Or a pasta primavera salad with grilled chicken thrown into it.

The dcb fajita recipe does just as well in the skillet. You can grill the chicken while saute-ing the peppers and onions. Make some salsa in the mfp, and there you have it! Super easy, feeds a ton of people and delicious!

You could also grill pizzas! Everyone would have a lot of fun with that too! I use the peppie's pizza dough you buy frozen (I get mine at Walmart, about $1.50 per dough). Just thaw and let rise a little. I put a little flour in the bottom of a bowl, put frozen dough in it, cover with a cloth and let it sit on the counter. Toss to whatever size you want. They fit perfect on the flexible cutting mats. Brush mat with garlic oil so it doesn't stick.

You could also use pitas or even larger tortillas as the crusts. Just remember to cook them on the cooler side of the grill. Oh but you did not mention if you have lids for the grills. If no lid, I would not do those. The cheese would not melt properly. You could use the Chicken Your Way ideas too! Grill up chicken and serve with assorted rubs and sauces. Then a great salad. Or grill chicken, whole, parts whatever. Shred it and toss with Greek Rub. Lightly grill some pitas, serve with feta, tomato and sliced onion like chicken gyros. I have done this and they are really yummy! You can even easily make the sauce. 2 cups Greek Yogurt, 1 cup finely shred cucumber. Put the shredded cucumber in a cloth towel and squeeze out as much water as possible by twisting the towel. This is a good job for one of the guys! Add several cloves of pressed garlic. Two to 4 depending on taste. A touch of lemon juice, salt and pepper and viola! Chicken Gyros!

pampered1224 said:
You could also use pitas or even larger tortillas as the crusts. Just remember to cook them on the cooler side of the grill. Oh but you did not mention if you have lids for the grills. If no lid, I would not do those. The cheese would not melt properly. You could use the Chicken Your Way ideas too! Grill up chicken and serve with assorted rubs and sauces. Then a great salad. Or grill chicken, whole, parts whatever. Shred it and toss with Greek Rub. Lightly grill some pitas, serve with feta, tomato and sliced onion like chicken gyros. I have done this and they are really yummy! You can even easily make the sauce. 2 cups Greek Yogurt, 1 cup finely shred cucumber. Put the shredded cucumber in a cloth towel and squeeze out as much water as possible by twisting the towel. This is a good job for one of the guys! Add several cloves of pressed garlic. Two to 4 depending on taste. A touch of lemon juice, salt and pepper and viola! Chicken Gyros!

John, this sounds awesome. Thanks!

Fettucini alfredo and french bread maybe an antipasto platter
i have a super simple alfredo sauce recipe if you want it
grill some chicken ahead of time, slice and freeze it to toss on top

The Asian Pork and Noodle Skillet is quite large, and if you did two batches you'd serve quite a few people! Can you use a 12 inch skillet?Also agree on the Creamy One Pot pasta that Becky D. mentioned

Skillet Lasagna is quick and easy, and serves a lot- but you may need to make two batches for that many people.One pot pasta is great option too.And even if you did go for something like burgers or dogs, change it up! We did hot dogs at a campout event for 140 people. But for variety, I made sure we had about 6 or 7 different toppings! Onions, chili, sauerkraut, hot peppers, tomatoes (Think Chicago style dog)....we had German Dogs, NY Dogs, Chili-cheese dogs, Chicago Dogs....a lot. I just googled different ideas for hot-dog toppings. The adults, and some of the kids, loved it! Then you can do a great side-dish/salad. I love a pasta salad- it has 1 box pasta, a bag of mini-pepperoni, 1 qt cherry tomatoes (halved), cubed colby/jack cheese, and a bottle of Italian Dressing over it all. YUM.

How about something you could make at home and freeze and bring with you?
Maybe chili. Can be heated in a pan on the grill. We have smoked and shredded pork, frozen it and just heated it on the grill in a foil pan with bbq sauce and made sandwiches.

Beer can (or coke/sprite) chicken on the grill. One small chicken (I think they aren't that expensive) 3-4 lbs should feed 4.

Tacos?

Or something else you could make in a crockpot and freeze and then just reheat on the grill.

the Chicken Picatta Pasts makes a lot. You may want to leave the capers out, it's just as good without them as with them.

When I need a quick meal that can be done ahead of time and inexpensive to feed a crowd this is my go to menu

[B]sour cream chicken enchiladas
[/B]

1- 25oz box of frozen chichen taquitos
2- 10oz cans green chili sauce
1 sm can of chopped green chilies
2- 8oz tubs sour cream
1 can of cream of mushroom soup (undiluted)

Combine green chili sauce,soup,green chilies and 1 tub of sour cream. Stir into a sauce.
Line 9 x 13 baker with frozen taquitos. Pour sauce over the taquitos for form a
casserole-like look. Bake a 350 for 30-40 minutes. Stir to fluff the remaining tub of
sour cream. Spread on top of the casserole. Top with shredded cheese. (You may want to
put back into oven while oven is cooling down to melt the cheese). Serves 6-8.

Here's my homemade salsa recipe It looks like alot but it will be gone very quickly. We also like to warm it up. Enjoy!!

(Make it 1/2 batch at a time so your blender doesn't overflow.)

Teresa's Salsa

2 lg cans Del Monte tomatoes (do not drain)

4 large fresh tomatoes or 12 Romas

8 - 12 fresh jalapenos scorched in a saute pan I make them really black (cool slightly)

1 purple onion cut into chunks (plus 1/2 of another that you chop & reserve)

2-3 bunches of cilantro (save some back that you snip)

2 T garlic salt

2 T lemon pepper

juice of 3 limes depending on size

4 T minced garlic from a jar (this is the only recipe I ever use this for)

Pulse tomatoes, jalepenos (stems removed but leave seeds in for the heat) & onion in blender on ice crush speed. Add the garlic, spices and lime juice season with a little Lawry's seasoning salt if necessary.

Quickly pulse in cilantro (you can add the stems too )

Pour into large plastic container stir in snipped cilantro and remaining onion.

Stir every 4-6 hours

Because of the scorched jalapenos it might have a brownish tint but it is so yummy!!

Refrigerate overnight.

DRUNKEN BEANS

1 pound pinto beans washed and picked thru

1 large onion diced

2 jalepenos diced

1 bunch fresh cilantro snipped

4 cloves garlic crushed

1 tbsp salt

1 pound salt pork

3 cans chicken broth

1 jar green salsa

2 tsps cumin

1 bottle beer

1 can stewed or diced tomatoes

Dump the beans in a large stockpot.

Add beer, broth and enough water to cover with about 2" of liquid

.Bring to a boil add salt pork

boil for 1 hour

add remaining ingredients cook until tender

after they are cooked if you prefer refried beans use a slotted spoon and add them to a large hot skillet mash with a potato masher heat thoroughly

one thing my husband does with our burgers now is makes them "gourmet" we really like turkey burger but he adds onions, bell peppers, lemon pepper an mixes it all together than puts mont jack cheese in the middle. we do beer spuds for family gatherings
Ingredients
1 cup butter, sliced 2 teaspoons minced garlic 1/4 cup lemon pepper 1/4 cup salt-free spicy seasoning blend 5 pounds potatoes, cubed 1 green bell pepper, chopped 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped 1 orange bell pepper, chopped 1 sweet onion, chopped 3 (12 fluid ounce) cans beer 16 ounces shredded Mexican-style cheese blend
Directions
Preheat an outdoor grill for medium heat.
Line the bottom of a 9x13 inch foil roasting pan with half of the butter, garlic, lemon pepper, and salt-free spicy seasoning blend. Place half of the potatoes, green bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, orange bell pepper and onion in the roasting pan and cover with the remaining butter, garlic, lemon pepper, and seasoning blend. Mix in the remaining potatoes, green bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, orange bell pepper and onion. Pour in the beer until it reaches just below the top layer of vegetables.
Cover pan with foil, place pan on the grill grate, and cook 1 1/2 hours, or until the potatoes are tender. Remove pan from the grill, cover with the shredded cheese, and let stand until the cheese has melted.

1. What are some quick and easy dinner ideas?

At Pampered Chef, we understand the importance of fast and simple meals. Some of our top recommendations for quick and easy dinners include one-pan meals, like sheet pan dinners or skillet meals, as well as 30-minute or less recipes using our time-saving kitchen tools and appliances.

2. Can you recommend any healthy dinner options?

Absolutely! We have a variety of healthy dinner ideas that are both nutritious and delicious. Our recipe library includes options for vegetarian, low-carb, and gluten-free meals, as well as recipes that incorporate fresh and colorful ingredients.

3. How can I incorporate more variety into my weekly dinner menu?

We have a wide range of dinner ideas that can help add some variety to your weekly meals. From international cuisines to creative twists on classic dishes, our recipes are designed to keep your taste buds happy and satisfied.

4. Are there any kid-friendly dinner ideas available?

Yes, we understand the struggle of trying to please picky eaters. Our recipe collection includes many kid-friendly dinner ideas that are sure to be a hit with your little ones. We even have some fun and interactive recipes that you can get your kids involved in making.

5. Do you have any dinner ideas for special occasions or holidays?

Absolutely! We have a variety of dinner ideas that are perfect for special occasions and holidays. From romantic date night dinners to festive and flavorful holiday meals, we have you covered for all your special occasion needs.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• GourmetGirl
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
sharalam
  • 1PamperedMommy
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
chefa
  • esavvymom