• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Have you tried Loaded Baked Potato Chowder with Red Potatoes?

In summary, the soup will be thicker with regular baking potatoes, but not as creamy or delicious as with red potatoes.
wadesgirl
Gold Member
Has anyone tried this with Red Potatoes instead of Russet?

Red potatoes will work - but it won't be as creamy and thick as Russet.

Red potatoes aren't as starchy, so they don't act as a thickener for the soup the way that regular baking potatoes will.

I get my potatoes from a co-op every month. They vary from one month to the next based on what they can get for the best price. I have used several varieties and they all taste good. Creaminess is not an issue to me, so I don't care. Honestly, I don't know that I've noticed a major difference between the different varieties.

I have only made this once and I loved it..and I used red potatoes

Love it either way. I also sometimes (ok - always) add cubed ham to it.

Funny...I use russet, but my soup isn't very creamy - at least when fresh. And I usually use EXTRA potatoes! It's mortar when it comes out of the fridge next day though. :) (probably because of the extra ones! haha)

I have a problem with the cream cheese not dissolving as well as I think it should. I lay the cream cheese out and let it get to room temp but it's still not as creamy as I would like. What am I doing wrong?

I nuke the cream cheese until it's very soft, then stir it up. I then add the milk to the cream cheese, a little at a time, whisking very well after each addition of milk. Never a problem with the cream cheese not blending in.

DebinIA said:
I nuke the cream cheese until it's very soft, then stir it up. I then add the milk to the cream cheese, a little at a time, whisking very well after each addition of milk. Never a problem with the cream cheese not blending in.

I do the same thing. Deb- does your soup thicken much or is it runny? I wonder if that is my problem....hmmm....And I use whole milk usually- not skim- which I would expect to be a bit runnier. So I don't think it is that.

winklermom said:
I have a problem with the cream cheese not dissolving as well as I think it should. I lay the cream cheese out and let it get to room temp but it's still not as creamy as I would like. What am I doing wrong?

Like Deb said, nuke it until it's soft. That will get you the best consistancy of the cream cheese to mix just right with the milk.

esavvymom said:
I do the same thing. Deb- does your soup thicken much or is it runny? I wonder if that is my problem....hmmm....And I use whole milk usually- not skim- which I would expect to be a bit runnier. So I don't think it is that.

I usually double the cream cheese - and add a little extra cheddar too. :) That helps make it thicker. (and tastier!)

I also press in a clove of garlic with the potatoes while they're cooking for extra flavor.

1. What ingredients are typically used in Loaded Baked Potato Chowder?

The main ingredients in Loaded Baked Potato Chowder are potatoes, bacon, cheese, onion, chicken broth, and heavy cream. Additional seasonings and toppings can be added to taste.

2. Can this chowder be made in a slow cooker?

Yes, Loaded Baked Potato Chowder can be easily made in a slow cooker. Simply combine all ingredients in the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.

3. Is this recipe gluten-free?

Yes, this recipe can be made gluten-free by using a gluten-free chicken broth and ensuring that all other ingredients are free of gluten. You can also substitute regular flour with a gluten-free flour blend for thickening the chowder.

4. Can I use frozen potatoes for this recipe?

Using fresh potatoes is recommended for the best texture and flavor in this chowder. However, if using frozen potatoes, make sure to thaw and drain them before adding them to the recipe.

5. How can I make this chowder vegetarian-friendly?

To make this chowder vegetarian, you can omit the bacon and use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. You can also add in other vegetables such as corn, carrots, or broccoli for added flavor and texture.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• naekelsey
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • Meigs
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
ToDi4Food
  • pampered2007