• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Need tips for making the perfect Loaded Baked Potato Chowder?

In summary, Becky created a chowder with chunks of potatoes, a refrigerated biscuit, and garlic bites. The soup was bland and people didn't seem to think it was very good. She plans to make changes to the recipe, such as adding garlic, adding cream cheese, and baking the potatoes for a shorter time. Additionally, she recommends removing some potato skin before cooking.
krahema
Hi Everyone,

This is my 1st post, so wish me luck! I just became a PC consultant a week ago and my 1st show is scheduled for the 15th. I'm a little nervous/a little excited!

Anyway, I was thinking I would make the Loaded Baked Potato Chowder to showcase the DCB & the Garlic Bites to showcase the Executive Cookware.

So tonight, I did a test run of the recipe (had never tried it before). I'm not sure if I really liked it. It was okay, but nothing that I think would WOW the host & guests. It had chunks of potatoes, but also was kind of like "mashed potato soup" - maybe I overcooked the potatoes? Also, it was a little bland - I thought maybe next time I would add cooked bacon to the milk mixture before the final 3-5 minutes cooking time - maybe that would give it more flavor?

We LOVED the garlic bites (and I don't normally even like refrigerated biscuits)! But, does anyone have any ideas to help add some "WOW factor" to the soup? I just don't feel like what I made tonight would make people think - "I really need that DCB!".

Thanks in advance for any input anyone might have:chef:

Last edited:
I double the cream cheese, and I add a clove of crushed garlic when I cook the potatoes. The extra cheese, and the garlic give it the WOW you need.

This recipe has been a HUGE hit for me this season! Great demo w/ the biscuits!

Congratulations on starting your business, and welcome to Chef Success!

Thanks Becky! The added cream cheese probably makes it a more "creamy" soup? I actually thought about adding garlic, since I was "in the mode" doing my Garlic Bites.

I will write down these adjustments right away.:)

extra cheddar is also good. I add bacon, too. I've noticed that it's a little thin when you first make it, but 10-15 minutes later, it thickens up.

I am sure you will get great advice on the soup part. However be really careful with the pan out of the oven. I hav eburned my hand a couple of times. One time i grabbed it a few minutes later and the metal seared my hand. Since then i always tie a dishtowel around it or put a protector ( a special sleeve that i own from my other dishes) or the oven mitt over the handle. one time i dropped the pan with all of the biscuits in it. It HURT! So just be careful!

As far as the chowder. i prefer lots of bacon crumbs and lots of green onion and lots of steamed corn on the top. I steamed the corn in the micro cooker. And if you double the recipe then get ready for a mess, and it will take a lot more time to cook those potetoes.

I agree with Becky!!! Double the cheese... I also add my bacon to it! This is one of my son's fav recipes!!!

It does thicken after a while, but I would either put more cheddar and/or cream cheese if you want it thicker from the get go. I have never had a problem with the consistency myself. I think the WOW factor is the versatility and how you don't have to be standing over a stove and a pot or dirtying multiple things. I really like how you can make the base of the soup and each person can add what they want to it to personalize it and it doesn't taste like it's uncooked you know? I typically do sour cream, chives (I don't like them so I have them out for people to put on top), bacon, broccoli and extra cheddar cheese. I actually haven't done it at a show yet but I have done it for a large party I had and people raved about it. I have a host requesting a DCB recipe so I may do that or the 30-min. chicken.

Thanks for everyones replies!

So I'm thinking I will add the pressed garlic before the initial baking of potatoes, and then add and additional 4 ounces cream cheese, some cooked bacon & some cheddar (maybe 1 cup?) to the milk mixture.

Also, I think I will bake the potatoes for a slightly shorter time, so they don't get too mushy.

Finally, I thought I might peel a couple of "stripes" off the potatoes before cutting in half - I ended up with a couple of huge pieces of potato skin in the soup - maybe this will help avoid that.

What's everyone think - sound like a winner?

I just think the DCB is the coolest thing ever and want everyone else to love it as much as I do:)

Ooo - one more question. When you serve this at a cooking party, what do you serve it in? Just regular bowls?

styrofoam bowls, mismatched coffee mugs, whatever :)

I use 2.5 to 3 lbs regular potatoes - cheaper. I peel strips off of them since there are more potatoes so more peel. I double the cream cheese and add it and the milk during the second 10 minutes and then cooked bacon, green onions and at least one cup of cheese. Delish!

I add a can of creamed corn and it really makes a difference. Chowders usually have corn. Try and keep the bacon seperate as most shows have guests who don't do meat - or stay away from bacon. Good luck with your show and remember to HAVE FUN!!

Like another poster said - when doing it for a show, I never add the meat right to the recipe. There are always some in the group who are vegetarian, or don't eat pork, etc...

That is one of the reasons I love this recipe - the "Loaded" part is at the end, and it's everyone's choice how they load it. It makes the recipe very versatile.

Thanks for everyone's responses - what a great help!

I'm really excited about the show, and fortunately it is for my best friend (since grade school!), so I'm really comfortable around her. I'm sure she and I will crack a few jokes back and forth about what awful cooks we were and the crazy mistakes we made when learning how to cook (like forgetting to double the flour, when doubling a batch of choc chip cookies - oops!!!).

Thanks again.:)

I have made this a couple of times and last time I switched out the milk with heavy cream, used 6 oz cream cheese and 4 oz shredded cheese. I never put the meat in, especially for my Friday shows right now since it is lent (made that mistake a few years ago). It was an absolute hit this past show, and I had everyone emailing me from the show for the recipe.

This is my husband's favorite recipe! I also use regular potatoes, cheaper and softer I think. Also, I add my own spices (salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika). Lastly, I use whipped cream cheese. yummy! I think that I will make a batch for lunch! Good luck with your show.

I completely peel my potatoes, I've tried it both ways and my daughter and I prefer it without any peel, my son on the other hand liked it better with, you can't win! Only made it for 1 show and we did peel the potatoes, I did them before the party started so it didn't take up demo time.
Love that recipe though, it's delicious!

I used one extra potato and a whole bag of cheddar cheese, which is double what they call for, and that makes it a really thick chowder, plus more cheese means more yumminess...I make this soup al lt he time because it is so easy and good.

I also peel my potatoes (not a fan of 'floaties'), and I do add an extra potato. I usually am using the large baking potatoes. Typically I use whole milk, so it's creamier, vs skim.When I've done it at shows, I've chopped green onions, had extra cheese, chopped/crumbled bacon, sour cream- all for the guests to assemble as they desire. I like the idea of the extra cream cheese! I'll have to try that the next time. We don't have LOTS left over, but it does thicken up ALOT as it cools.

I add extra milk to mine to make it soup my hubby loves it but likes it to be soup not mush.
When doing a show I put all the extras on the side so people can load there own toppings.

What are the ingredients for Loaded Baked Potato Chowder?

The ingredients for Loaded Baked Potato Chowder include potatoes, bacon, onions, celery, butter, flour, chicken broth, milk, sour cream, cheddar cheese, and green onions.

How do I make Loaded Baked Potato Chowder?

To make Loaded Baked Potato Chowder, start by cooking the bacon in a pot until it is crispy. Then, add in diced onions and celery and cook until they are soft. Next, stir in flour and butter to create a roux. Slowly pour in chicken broth and milk, stirring constantly. Add in diced potatoes and let the chowder simmer until the potatoes are cooked through. Finally, stir in sour cream and cheddar cheese until the cheese is melted. Serve the chowder topped with green onions.

Can I make Loaded Baked Potato Chowder in a slow cooker?

Yes, you can make Loaded Baked Potato Chowder in a slow cooker. Simply follow the same instructions for cooking the bacon, onions, and celery in a pan. Then, add all the ingredients to a slow cooker and cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours.

What can I substitute for bacon in Loaded Baked Potato Chowder?

If you do not eat bacon or prefer a vegetarian option, you can substitute it with vegetarian bacon or omit it altogether. You can also add in extra vegetables such as carrots or mushrooms for added flavor.

How do I store leftover Loaded Baked Potato Chowder?

Store leftover Loaded Baked Potato Chowder in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. To reheat, simply heat it up in a pot on the stove or in the microwave, stirring occasionally, until heated through. Chowder can also be frozen for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator before reheating.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• naekelsey
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • Meigs
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
ToDi4Food
  • lakamper