• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Light Recipes for Quick and Budget Friendly Dinners

In summary, the Weekday Dinners cards have some great recipes, but most of them are on the high side in terms of calories and carbs. Some people have suggested using the DCB to make lighter recipes, but others feel that it is unnecessary. Some light recipes that have been suggested are the Seven Layer Salad, the Grilled Chicken Penne al Fresco, or the Vegetable/turkey Lasagna. The trainer at the gym said that if you drink enough water, you don't need to worry about sodium.
leftymac
Maybe I'm looking wrong, but I'm a bit sad that most of the quick and budget friendly recipes (like those from the Weekday Dinners Cards) don't really seem to be on the light side.

I'd like to use my DCB more. What are everyone's ideas for some lighter recipes? I know I can do:

-the chicken fajitas
-30 minute chicken
-pork tenderloin
-BBQ sandwiches

What other ideas do you have? And, they don't have to use the DCB. What other PC recipes do you know of that are on the lighter side. I have the "It's Good For You" cookbook and there are just a few in there that interest me.

I'm not impressed with the "good for you" cookbook either. Most of them are too high sodium and too high carb.Seven layer salad is a good one ... in fact, any salad is a winner.

Di_Can_Cook said:
I'm not impressed with the "good for you" cookbook either. Most of them are too high sodium and too high carb.

Seven layer salad is a good one ... in fact, any salad is a winner.

I love salads. The only problem is that I'm cooking for just me, and salads don't keep well for leftovers. :( I could eat the chicken and grapefruit salad for forever though.

a friend of mine does turkey breast and taters and carrots in here DCB. She likes it cause it's quick and easy to feed her kids.

I have a great recipe for Tilapia in the DCB if you're interested! :)

The Grilled Chicken Penne al Fresco can be a fairly light recipe. You could even use whole wheat pasta instead of regular white pasta in it.

Or the Microwave White Chicken Chili, although that's a bit high in sodium.

I have a recipe for a Vegetable/turkey Lasagna. It is an oven recipe but I'm going to try to do it in the DCB in the microwave. I'll post an update if I get it worked out. It uses Zuchini strips instead of las noodles. Really good in oven...

NooraK said:
The Grilled Chicken Penne al Fresco can be a fairly light recipe. You could even use whole wheat pasta instead of regular white pasta in it.

Or the Microwave White Chicken Chili, although that's a bit high in sodium.

I was talking to the trainer at my gym who is the 'nutrition guy' and he said that although you don't want to eat a ton of sodium.. if you are drinking the amount of water you should in a day then sodium isn't something you really have to watch. Unless, of course, you have medical reasons to do so. He put it like this... if you put a lot of salt in a small glass of water, the salt will abosrb all the water and you'll have a hunk of salt still. If you put salt in a lot of water, the water will absorb the salt and it will break down.

Anyhow, their might be a nurse on here that will disagree but this is just what I was told. :)

I am loving the Loaded Baked Potato Chowder. The end of the recipe has the light version - use skim milk, neuftachel cheese instead of cream cheese, and omit the butter. I haven't done as suggested and used light cheddar.Also, I don't spend extra to get really large baling potatoes. I just peel smaller ones. If you use a lot of small potatoes, there would be too much skin.

cookingwithdot said:
I have a great recipe for Tilapia in the DCB if you're interested! :)

Share away!

I've been making Tilapia in the DCB and it's really yummy! I buy a pack of frozen fillets (a lot cheaper). It works with frozen fillets or thawed ones - just add about 5 more mins if thery are frozen. Rub with olive oil (I use a citrus flavored oo) and sprinkle/rub with salt/pepper & PC citrus & basil Rub. Put in DCB and microwave for about 10 - 15 mins! When the fish flakes apart, it's done. I cut up fresh lemon wedges, have tartar sauce available and serve with veggies & either rice or cous cous. I worked hard at getting my family to eat healthier fish recipes this year & now my 10 year old requests this! Scottcooks also posted a Halibut recipe that sounds really good too. It uses sour cream and mayo, but you could easily do it lo cal ... my husband is trying to lose weight right now, so that is what I am going to do.

I make salads for myself all the time too ... and I don't eat real big salads either like my roomate does. However, I have found that if I take a Romaine heart, cut and spin it all at once and seal the leftovers in two airtight containers, it lasts for three days. The rest of the veggies I just cut up as I use them.I prefer my fish grilled or pan seared using an oil spray or a bit of olive oil ... Roomie bakes it and I am really not fond of that method.

1. What makes a recipe considered "light"?

A recipe is considered "light" when it is lower in calories, fat, and/or sugar compared to traditional versions of the dish. This can be achieved through the use of healthier ingredients, such as lean proteins, whole grains, and plenty of vegetables.

2. Are these recipes quick and easy to make?

Yes, all of our light recipes for quick and budget-friendly dinners are designed to be simple and convenient to prepare. They typically require minimal prep work and can be made in under 30 minutes.

3. Can these recipes fit into a budget?

Absolutely! Our light recipes are not only healthy and quick to make, but they are also budget-friendly. We use affordable ingredients and focus on creating meals that are both nutritious and cost-effective.

4. Will these recipes still be filling and satisfying?

Yes, our light recipes are designed to be both satisfying and nutritious. We use ingredients that are high in fiber and protein, which can help keep you feeling full and satisfied for longer.

5. Can I make substitutions in these recipes?

Yes, you can make substitutions in our light recipes to fit your dietary needs and preferences. We often provide suggestions for substitutions in our recipe instructions, or you can experiment with your own substitutions based on what you have on hand.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• AshleyAllison
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
higoobs
  • emo812
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
meganmcg
  • PamperedSD