• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Lifetime Guarantee on Cookware

In summary, the conversation was about the newswire discussing the Lifetime Guarantee on cookware and how people have been getting replacements for products that do not fall under the guarantee. The group also discussed what would happen if the non-stick finish starts to wear off after 10 years and if that would be considered normal wear and tear or a manufacturing defect. They also talked about returning damaged cookware and how it will now be inspected to determine if it falls under the guarantee or not. The conversation also touched on the importance of understanding and communicating the Lifetime Guarantee to customers.
I was watching QVC today and they had the Cook's Essentials on. Bob Warden was REALLY stressing the Lifetime guarantee on these. I know they talk about it when the pans are on, but today, they really went on & on about it.

He said (not an exact quote, but pretty close) " You know how you buy non-stick pans and the non-stick coating peels or you go to use it and all of a sudden it not non-stick anymore? Well, these pans have a lifetime guarantee against that. Lifetime Non-Stick Cookware."

He did actually say: lifetime non-stick

Just thought that was interesting, especially with all that we have been discussing on this.

Last edited:
esavvymom said:
I'm wondering- who came up with the "The last cookware you'll ever need to buy"? Everyone says "how I was trained"...but we all know that sometimes those consultants who trained us, didn't have the answers correctly. How many times have we seen Upper Level Directors who use Facebook, internet, etc as their personal ad for PC- clearly against policy? - They don't always do things correctly just because they are upper levels. Lisa Amblo talks in her cookware-talk about using a metal utensil on the grill pan and so on..."it won't hurt it, so if your husband uses the wrong thing, you're ok". UGH!

It's interesting some of the things I've read. I won't be pushing cookware too much, not until I have a better understanding of what's going on and how it will come out in the wash for my customers. If they want it, they'll buy it- and I'll make sure to provide a Special Flyer or print-out of the Use & Care...since we all know how well people read those little cards in the box. HA!

I got it from training CD's produced by PC. Lisa Amblo has done training CD's for PC on selling cookware. I would imagine if they are produced by PC, then that would be sanctioned, right? If not, then PC has knowingly been allowing all kinds of consultants to say things that weren't true, in order to sell more cookware. I'd hate to think that.

ChefBeckyD said:
I got it from training CD's produced by PC. Lisa Amblo has done training CD's for PC on selling cookware. I would imagine if they are produced by PC, then that would be sanctioned, right? If not, then PC has knowingly been allowing all kinds of consultants to say things that weren't true, in order to sell more cookware. I'd hate to think that.

Lisa Amblo also runs a knife over her cookware to demonstarte that the non-stick won't come off - I was shocked when I heard that on the training audio that I listened to. I think it's this one:

Player

pamperedlinda said:
Lisa Amblo also runs a knife over her cookware to demonstarte that the non-stick won't come off - I was shocked when I heard that on the training audio that I listened to. I think it's this one:

Player

Yes she does. 6:45 into the audio whe says that she takes a metal spatula and runs it across the Grill Pan. Someone does break in and say that it would send HO product team into shock. Lisa still says that the cookware will be replaced if damaged b/c it has a lifetime guarantee. 8:33 into the audio - a couple of people do break in and say that that would void the waranty.

ChefBeckyD said:

That's what I was wondering. So if PC says it, they should certainly be held accountable for it...at least for those who purchased from the date they changed the rules going back. Going forward, they need to reword very clearly what is and isn't covered and say it's a "Limited Lifetime Warranty". And retrain or modify what they are telling everyone. I guess in some ways they are trying to do that....just not so sure how they'll honor warranties of existing cookware customers who bought under one set of rules/guarantees. (Pays to keep those cards!- which I do...put them in a recipe box next to your cookbooks and keep them as much as your Receipts!)

So, has anyone tried to return/exchange cookware that has normal wear and tear since the policy enforcement statement? I am very interested in the results.

My mother has Gen II cookware she bought before I became a consultant 7 years ago. It still looks pretty good. Yes you can tell it has been used but the coating is still in good shape. I have Gen II and executive small sautés that I use in my kitchen. You can tell both have been used a lot (the Gen II is even a little out of round where I must have dropped it.) The coating on both are in excellent condition.
I had to send back a 12" Executive skillet for a customer. It looked like somebody took a fork and drew designs in the Teflon. I was embarrassed to send it back! I will be discussing the proper use and care of the cookware.

I had a great conversation with HO today. I just received my 10"skillet and used it for the first time. Washed it and there were huge swirls in the finish. It looked like I used steel wool on it. (obviously I didn't).

I called HO and explained that I made a skillet cake and the end result of the pan. She sent out the call tag no problem.

I then chatted her up about the issues that we have been discussing here. She said that there were way too many returns on the previous line of cookware. They were having to replace the pans with the new upgraded executive line. She said HO had approved way too many and that people were sending in blantant abused cookware (food stuck on....the outside discolored from the dishwasher etc).

This abuse of the return policy forced them to put a standard in place. Every piece must be inspected for abuse. She was 99% sure mine would not be an issue, but there were no exceptions.

I then asked her about normal wear and acts of god. I wanted to know what was supposed to last a lifetime on the cookware. She told me we should expect them to ALWAYS be non-stick (same as the previous post listed about the other line of cookware). She said for the price we pay.....it SHOULD last a lifetime. If the customer follows the guidelines....the non-stick will last! So I re-stated this to her.....if I use bamboo and handwash my pans....avoid non stick spray and use cookware protectors I will be fine. She said YES....if you do that and have a problem on 10-15-20 years.....return it! We will replace it.

I was very glad I took the time to speak with her. They are still standing behind their products, they believe in them and respect us as the face of the company.

I will continue to support the product and sell it like crazy. It is an excellent set of cookware....just give it the TLC it deserves and it will last in return for you.

Sorry for the long winded post.........just wanted to share.

elizabethfox said:
PC is the one who issued a lifetime guarantee on their cookware... if they didn't want to have to deal with replacing them for a lifetime then they should have not guaranteed them for a lifetime.

And has anyone gotten an answer from HO on how long the non-stick coating is supposed to last?? How many years before it peeling and chipping is no longer considered under their guarantee??

HO told me this week that the coating and non stick should last the LIFETIME of the pan. If not ~ they will return it, unless it is evident that you used nonstick spray, chemicals (dishwasher) or sharp untinsels.

HO is being very difficult on cookware returns and it's making the consultants look bad. I have a VERY loyal host that has returned her 12" stainless pan to me because the bottom has buckled and won't sit flat on her burner. She only used it on her electric stove (not in the oven, even though the use and care explicitly states that it is broiler safe). And never above medium-high heat (she's afraid of high temperatures and had her knobs adapted so that they won't even turn to high). I put in the product adjustment and was told it had to be reviewed. Fine. I got an email asking me what the problem was and immediately responded. The customer has called me every day since she showed me the pan on Sunday to find out the return authorization number because this is their family pan that they use almost daily. Today, I get another email asking me how high of a temperature was it used with.Ok, first, it takes 3 days to follow up?
second, it doesn't matter. The Use and care clearly state that it is broiler safe. The use and care also specifically mentions that overheating may cause a discoloration but will NOT affect the performance of the item. I saw the pan. It's in good condition other than a two inch buckle on the outside bottom of the pan that isn't allowing it to sit flat on the burner (which is making her cooking uneven). It isn't buckled inside. My customer is getting upset that the authorization is taking so long and quite honestly I don't blame her.

Maybe you should have the host call PC themselves and explain what's going on?

This is why I have the customer call the HO about a return. They have to ask certain questions. I'm sure your customer has been using the pan correctly, but some twiddlehead out there could have been using it on their blazing campfire. I know it's frustrating, but PC is good about taking care of its customers.

BTW, I always let my customers know that it takes a few business days for the HO to get back with me when I do adjustments, and that's assuming they have no questions. You have to realize that they handle thousands of calls/emails every day.

The new return policies are a major issue that I have been in turmoil over. I also have an issue with the DCB lid not being offered as a replacement part. Which is where this email originally started. In a nutshell: the DCB's are handmade and HO is afraid there is no way that they can consistently fit and the color could vary slightly. I suggested the use a ruler and stock them according to size. Also, anyone that has ever needed to go out and get more wallpaper will know that colors slightly vary from day to day which is why wallpaper has stock numbers for the day they were made.(Or so my mom told me).
I reversed the emails so they would be easier to read. In the midst of DCB issues I went into great details asking about our lifetime warranty on cookware and this is what I finally received...in writing.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, April 13, 2010 5:09 PM
To:
Subject: Re: FW: My Darn Deep Covered Baker Lid [REF:859114712287]

Dear Elaine,

Thank you for contacting The Pampered Chef. In regards to the Cookware, we cannot tell if a pan will be replaced for a certain issue until received, as this is based on each piece being carefully inspected when received. We do apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Please advise if we can assist you further.

Michelle Crowe
Solution Center Representative
The Pampered Chef, Ltd.
The Pampered Chef

Nope. No answer there.

Sent: 14-Apr-2010 18:11:50
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: FW: My Darn Deep Covered Baker Lid

My only question still has not been answered. Do we expect the Executive cookware coating to last a lifetime with normal and proper us and care?

Elaine Ballard

And the answer is??????
Subj: Re: RE: FW: My Darn Deep Covered Baker Lid [REF:860351565124]
Date: Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:17 pm
Size: 2K
To:

Dear Elaine,

Thank you for contacting The Pampered Chef. Naturally, the cookware will wear and need to be replaced at some point. The timing will depend of course on how it's used; therefore, we cannot give you a specific life span for the nonstick coating.

Michelle Crowe
The Pampered Chef, Ltd.
The Pampered Chef

---- Original Message ----
Me, WHAT? How can I still sell Executive cookware...or anything else PC?
Sent: 16-Apr-2010 13:53:00
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: RE: FW: My Darn Deep Covered Baker Lid

If the cookware will need to be replaced at some point then I think we need to remove the lifetime warranty.

If something wears down and needs replacing...that is not lifetime. We are promoting a false guarantee by having it in writing on pg 19.

While I'm at it...we also need to remove the lifetime warranty from the salad choppers. They are being sold as a tool for shredding meat cooked in the DCB and I've noticed that several have had broken springs. I think a 5 year warranty is sufficient if you make them dishwasher safe.
I really think they should be hand wash only because the dishwasher cannot clean the gap between the blade and plastic.

I'm covering my bum! Lifetime means lifetime to me. I am teaching guests how to use the cookware, but I am really promoting the Stainless, now.
Sent: Friday, April 16, 2010 3:18 PM
To:
Cc: Test Kitchens
Subject: FW: My Darn Deep Covered Baker Lid [REF:860439620594]

Dear Elaine,

Thank you for your reply. We appreciate you taking the time to submit your concerns and suggestion, and have forwarded your e-mail message to the appropriate area for review.

Michelle Crowe
The Pampered Chef, Ltd.
The Pampered Chef

And, what is the Company doing???

Dear Elaine,

We love hearing from our Consultants and Customers to ensure we document suggestions and provide the best service we can. So thank you for your suggestions!

We are also aware of the spring on the Salad Chopper and have worked with the vendor to resolve this.

Best wishes,
Kendra Kelly
The Pampered Chef Test Kitchen
[email protected]
I decided that I love this company enough to realise that they have to make adjustments. They also know that their consultants are their bread and butter. Too often consultants freak when they hear one bad thing (or what they think could be bad) and jump ship rather than seeing what happens when the company hears us out. I am sure we will learn more about the non-stick coating and lifetime policy. We'll be taught how to deal with abuse, misuse, informing guests before they buy. You'll also learn how to deal with Customer Service when we feel a policy is being incorrectly used toward our customers. You are your customer's advocate. I don't believe that a lot of my time will be dealing with return rejections. If it happens, then I'll know this isn't the company Doris built. Until then I plan to sell, book and recruit because it pays the bills and is loads of fun!

I have a customer who has a double burner griddle that she would like to return. I called HO today and she asked if I was aware of the new policy of inspection, which I was. They said to just have her call HO because that would be easier considering they have to ask her questions. I saw the pan, and it's horribly scratched. However, the host did tell me that she didn't do anything to the pan, and that she uses her stuff very carefully. I totally believe the host. The scratches are very weird, and so I doubly don't think they were done by a metal utensil. I'm afraid though that HO will deny thinking that she abused it. She is a loyal customer; although she won't host again because her daughter is upset with us because of a product malfunction (to which I said, "Well, she never contacted me to return it. I could've helped with it.). Weird situation, anyway, for the customer not to host because of the daughter's issue. I'm waiting for the daughter to ask me to do a Pure Romance party because that's what she does (um, no don't really want to invite family over to buy sex toys!---weird! IMO). So that rambled, but in short, I'm a little nervous they won't replace it for her.

Kelly, did you ever find out wha happened w/ this customer and pan? Anyone else have any other experiences w/ the cookare lately or returns on them?

Just wanted to bring this thread back up to see if anyone has had a successful, or even an unsuccessful return since the policy went into effect. I have to return my 10' saute Exec. pan because it is flaking. Just wondering what kindof odds I am going to be facing.
Mara

As long as you've followed the use anx care instructions you'll be fine.

I just talked to a rep today as well, regarding my 11" square skillet. He was very friendly and told me I should have no issues replacing it (not non-stick anymore) and the guarantee definitely covers non-stick coating. My coating seems to have just disappeared. No flaking, just thinned out and isn't usable anymore. Even when I use oil on it now, it likes to stick. He said they're doing the inspections now, and actually have a whole department devoted to it, because they were getting an insane amount of cookware that was clearly abusing the policy. Pieces that look like they had a screwdriver taken to it, and with food still on it. He said a couple of incidents every now and then would have been laughable, but it is literally all the time. So, I will still be telling my customers their cookware has a lifetime guarantee, as long as they take care of it properly.

I called then set it in with the ref number waited from end of June until end of July and called they said they had questions for me (but they did not call me I called them,) Asked the list of questions and said they would now inspect and I should know in a couple weeks- End of Aug I called again they can't find the pan so they will call back..A few days later I call they just sent a new one out could not find my pan. This is not a quick process or efficient.

trps said:
I called then set it in with the ref number waited from end of June until end of July and called they said they had questions for me (but they did not call me I called them,) Asked the list of questions and said they would now inspect and I should know in a couple weeks- End of Aug I called again they can't find the pan so they will call back..A few days later I call they just sent a new one out could not find my pan. This is not a quick process or efficient.

WOW! I couldn't live without my cookware for that length of time!!!

I am brand new to PC and am nervous about the guarantee. I have a new customer who is sending two of her pieces back (paying return postage herself) because the coating is peeling. She says she used them heavily but hasn't used metal, cooking spray or washed in the dishwasher. She absolutely loves the cookware but is concerned about whether they will replace what she thought was the last cookware she would ever need to purchase. After several months of this new policy, does anyone have their experience to share? Just wondering how to promote this product.

I've not had any customers experience problems. It's simply that they're now asking questions to verify that the products were used according to directions. Your customer should be fine.

pattikake said:
I always tell my guests that our cookware is just like L.L. Bean slippers! This is the last cookware and/or last pair of slippers you'll ever have to buy. People are interested in the lifetime warranty and I know that a lot of my customers have purchased them based on the warranty alone.
I had the non-stick peel off my cookware and was treated VERY BAD by PC! I purchased based on the "lifetime guarantee" and was treated terribly by the company. They accused me of abusing the cookware. Really?? I cooked with it, washed by hand and do not use aerosol non stick sprays. It is happening to the pan they replaced it with too, and I am left with having to do this all over again! I so wish that I had purchased the stainless steel!

babywings76 said:
Have you all read yesterday's newswire? It talked about the Lifetime guarantee on cookware and how people have been getting replacements when they shouldn't have. I guess the question I have is, what if after 10 years the non-stick finish starts flecking off or something. Could they say that is normal wear and tear? Or would that be considered a manufacturing defect? I wish they'd show a picture of "normal wear and tear".
Can you post that newswire on cookware

higoobs said:
Can you post that newswire on cookware
That was from 2010. The newswire she mentioned would be long gone and outdated.

ShelbyMichalek said:
Consider the reason they don't cover "normal wear and tear".You use your cookware for 10 years and it shows a little bit of use and wear. You return it, they replace it. 10 years later you do it again and they replace it. 10 years after that you return it, they replace it.All because it had a little bit of "normal wear and tear" now you just got 3 sets of cookware for the price of one. That gets to be a hefty load from their pocket to replace USED cookware. That's 3 sets in 30 years.I can just about gaurantee that my mother has had the same cookware she got when my parents got married 20 years ago. If she tried to have it replace NOT only would NONE of it be covered because it was a gift and wasn't purchased by a company as wonderful as ours, but there are minor signs of "normal wear and tear."I honestly think that we have a GREAT policy on cookware in comparison to a frying pan or stock pot you go in to Wal-mart and purchase for $30 a piece.Does that make sense?

ShelbyMichalek said:
Consider the reason they don't cover "normal wear and tear".You use your cookware for 10 years and it shows a little bit of use and wear. You return it, they replace it. 10 years later you do it again and they replace it. 10 years after that you return it, they replace it.All because it had a little bit of "normal wear and tear" now you just got 3 sets of cookware for the price of one. That gets to be a hefty load from their pocket to replace USED cookware. That's 3 sets in 30 years.I can just about gaurantee that my mother has had the same cookware she got when my parents got married 20 years ago. If she tried to have it replace NOT only would NONE of it be covered because it was a gift and wasn't purchased by a company as wonderful as ours, but there are minor signs of "normal wear and tear."I honestly think that we have a GREAT policy on cookware in comparison to a frying pan or stock pot you go in to Wal-mart and purchase for $30 a piece.Does that make sense?
But our parents did not pay $500 - $600 for a set of pots and pans either. I believe Lifetime Guarantee is "Lifetime Guarantee" period.

I have the small skillet that came in my consultant kit. I have been meaning to replace it - for the second time - because of scratches that came from either bamboo spoons or PC spatulas, all of which are "safe" for non-stick cookware. Frankly, I prefer my old cast iron anyway. I use the small skillet for eggs sometimes, and am frankly embarrassed to take it to a show!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pckelly
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
friday
  • pampchefrhondab
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
nascarcooker
  • vanscootin