• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Canceling a Show: Tips for Diplomatically Handling Unresponsive Hosts

C
cookingabcs
I've tried to search the threads to see if there is something out there similar to what I need but I can't find it.

What I'm looking for is verbage to cancel a show with a host that I've had no contact with since she booked the show 5 weeks ago. I never got an email address, I've called several times and she's never returned my phone calls. I'm a fairly new consultant and not really sure how to handle this. This is the first person I was going to send the invitations out for her and everything but I never got addresses. All I ever got was voicemail, sometimes not even that. Her show is suppose to be in 2 weeks and I need to find out what is going on. At the show where she booked, she seemed very scattered and not really interested in anything, like she was just filling out the card (party date card) like it was expected and everyone had to do it. When I was walking her through the host packet after the show, telling her about needing the address for invites etc.. she kept saying "uh huh, uh huh, no problem" as she looked around the room. I really had no connection with the girl at all but I feel like I really need to find out what's going on. The original host that she booked form was a great host and wants to do another show in the fall, where this silly lady will probably be again.:eek:

HELP!! How do I handle this without buring bridges? If she still wants to have the show that's great, if she wants to reschedule that's fine too. I just need to come up with diplomatic verbage.

Thanks for the suggestions

I have one that I give out with my host packet. I says something about needing notice for cancelations.

I also have an oops we missed your show letter that I have used for people I have had trouble getting in contact. Let me know if you would like either of them.

Since you haven't been able to get ahold of her, call her one more time. If you still get the voice mail let her know that you are sorry you couldn't connect and you will give away the date to another host if she doesn't call you by tomorrow at x time. Make it very close in! Also tell her that you are sorry to do this, but you need to have a show on that date to keep your business consistent. Even if you don't have another host, you still need to know what is going on.Be glad you didn't get the addresses and send out the invitations. That would really be a lot of work to cancel!Good luck!

Hey Brooke,

If you could either send me ([email protected]) or post the "Opps" letter that would be great.

Kate- I like your idea. Your posts are always great. Thanks so much!!

Please post that letter, or a link to it for all of us. I'm having this same
problem with a June 10th hostess. She returned last week's call when she knew I would be away for the five day weekend. She even e-mailed her guest list, and asked for another 15 to 20 invitations with all the information printed on them, to hand out, and more catalogs. I sure felt it was a go. However, when I called to confirm the show time, we again lost contact,
and for the last three days it has been a black-out. She has not replied to e-mails or phone calls. This morning I talked with the Hostess she booked off of, to ask if she worked with her, and I might be able to connect at my local bank. No she said, but they had talked last night via e-mail, and the lady told her she was planning to reschedule. "but had not let Rita know yet".
I'd still be in the dark if my original hostess had kept that confidence. Thank God she feels some loyalty to me, and was willing to share that. At least
now I'm free to make other plans. Just the same, I'm really disappointed. I'm just glad I had not attached the stamps to the 40 invitations she had me
print. 21 where individually addressed and the others just with her party date,
name and address. Oh, well.
You know, it helps to know that I am not the only one who is dealing with
these inconsiderate folks. They apparently are afraid to tell the truth. If they only knew what a relief it is for us to just have them do that! I hate the not knowing more, than the actual cancellation.

Keep the show date (in her mind)In other threads, I've seen ideas on how to get the hostess to call you back.

Call her, leave her a message saying you're very excited about her show on (insert date here). "Since I haven't gotten addresses from you, I'm sure that you've already sent out your own invitations. I'd like to talk to you about recipe ideas, but if I don't hear from you, I'll just bring my own ingredients and you can reimburse me for them. I'll be arriving at your house at (insert time here) to set up! Can't wait to see you!"

If she's truly interested in keeping the show, she'll call to confirm that she needs the invites sent out, etc.

If she doesn't want to host it, she (in theory) will call to let you know so you don't show up on her doorstep when she has her hair in curlers.

If she doesn't call at all and you can't get another show on that date, pick a recipe that's cheap and your family likes, so that if you do choose to show up at her house and she's not interested, you at least have dinner for that night.

I haven't used this personally, but you might check other threads to see if anyone's ever had to actually show up.

Good luck!

I would love to try that idea if the show was more local butit's 2 hours away in the town where I grew up so I'd have to plan to go over for the whole weekend. GRRR... why do people have to be so silly and inconsiderate.

possible letterOK, I wrote up this letter but could use some feedback. I don't have the gift of being bery tactful and hope I don't come across to gruff but this is what it says:

I am writing to you today since I have not heard from you since Denise’s show when you agreed to host a show on the 10th of June. Because I have not heard from you, I am not planning to be there.

I have tried to contact you several times via both phone and mail but to no avail. If you have in fact sent out invitations and have people planning to attend and/or outside orders, please inform me ASAP so I can arrive in a timely manor.

If the timing is simply not right and you would like to reschedule that is fine too, again please let me know.

I do apologize for anything I did that has caused bad feelings towards The Pampered Chef or me.

Alison Clampet
Independent Consultant,
The Pampered Chef
with phone numbers

What do you think?

Thanks,
Alsion

I like it maybe instead of saying "I don't plan on coming" you could say that someone else is interested in that date and if she isn't going through with her show you would like to give the date to this other person.

Although that may give her the out she's looking for.

Just an idea.

Aaaahhhh!!!!!I send out the letter on Friday about canceling her show. I tell her that she's got til Tues of this week to get back to me or I'm canceling the show, mind you that's still only 4 days before her show is suppose to happen.

I get home Saturday evening and her list of address is in my mail, there are only 8 of them, 3 of which live 2 hrs from her, 1 doesn't have a house address and 1 other doesnt' have a zip code. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

So I get to call her tonight to find out what's going on. I jsut can't believe that someone would be that inconsiderate and think they can pull soething off in less then 4 days. So hopefully sh'ell either reschedule or turn it into a catalog show. IF not, I'm having to drive 2.5 hrs to do a show for 3 people, one of which being the host she booked form and the other being the past host's mom would didn't really buy much at the first show.

I pray that she's got lots of outside orders .

I'm just really steamed about all of this!!:mad: :mad:

I would not drive that far for a show with 3 people! I would just tell her that it is quite a distance for you to drive and you really can't do her show with less than x number of guests (I would say 8-10 at least) It sounds like she really isn't that into having the show anyway, and you won't be in a good mood to do the show after you drive that far stewing about the low turn out she is expecting. Suggest that she do it as a catalog party, or reschedule for when she can arrange to have enough guest. I would remind her also, that this is your business, and you need to make each show worth your while as well as your hostesses.

I agree with Shana.

1. How do I handle canceling a show with an unresponsive host?

First, try to reach out to the host through different methods (email, phone, social media) to give them a chance to respond. If you still don't hear back, you can politely explain the situation and apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Offer to reschedule the show for a later date if they are still interested.

2. What should I do if I never received the host's contact information?

If you were not able to get the host's email address or phone number, you can try reaching out through the original booking form or through any mutual contacts you may have. If all attempts fail, you can send a formal cancellation email or letter to the host's address listed on the booking form.

3. How do I handle a host who seemed disinterested during the booking process?

It's important to be understanding and not take their lack of interest personally. Simply explain the situation and apologize for any inconvenience. You can also offer to reschedule the show for a later date if they are still interested in hosting.

4. How can I avoid burning bridges with the unresponsive host?

Always remain professional and understanding when communicating with the host. Keep the lines of communication open and offer to work with them to find a mutually agreeable solution. This will show that you value their time and effort, even if they are unable to host the show.

5. What is the best way to handle the situation if the original host wants to book another show in the future?

If the original host is interested in hosting again, you can mention that you would be happy to work with them in the future. You can also offer to reach out to the unresponsive host again to see if they are still interested in hosting the show. This shows that you value their business and are willing to go the extra mile to make things work.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• AshleyAllison
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
ChefPeg
  • Candice
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
magentablue
Replies