• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Can I Substitute Lemon Juice for Lemon Zest in Lemon Poppy Seed Pound Cake?

In summary, to make Lemon Poppy Seed Pound Cake, you will need all-purpose flour, baking powder, salt, unsalted butter, granulated sugar, eggs, lemon juice, lemon zest, poppy seeds, and powdered sugar for the glaze. You can use a gluten-free flour blend or whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose flour, but the texture and taste may be slightly different. The leftover pound cake can be stored at room temperature, refrigerated, or frozen for up to 3 months. The poppy seeds can be omitted, and a glaze can be made by mixing powdered sugar and lemon juice.
thehaleykitchen
Gold Member
Does anyone know if I can substitute lemon juice instead of the lemon zest? It calls for 2 Tablespoons zest but I have no lemons on hand and would like to make this!

Thanks,
Karen

Found a site that gives substitutes:
Common Ingredient Substitutions Article - Allrecipes.com1 teaspoon zest can be subsituted with: 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract OR 2 tablespoons lemon juice So since you need 2 TBSP of zest (it calls for that much??)- that would be 12 Tbsp lemon juice or I think that's 3/4 cup (4 Tb per 1/4 cup I think). Seems like alot!

Yes, you can substitute lemon juice for lemon zest in most recipes. However, keep in mind that lemon juice is more acidic and less concentrated than lemon zest, so you may need to adjust the amount you use. In this case, you can use about 1-2 tablespoons of lemon juice in place of the 2 tablespoons of lemon zest. The flavor may be slightly different, but it should still work well in the recipe.

1. What ingredients do I need to make Lemon Poppy Seed Pound Cake?

To make Lemon Poppy Seed Pound Cake, you will need all-purpose flour, baking powder, salt, unsalted butter, granulated sugar, eggs, lemon juice, lemon zest, poppy seeds, and powdered sugar for the glaze.

2. Can I use a different type of flour for this recipe?

Yes, you can use a gluten-free flour blend or whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose flour. However, the texture and taste of the pound cake may be slightly different.

3. How do I properly store the leftover pound cake?

The pound cake can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 3 days. It can also be refrigerated for up to a week or frozen for up to 3 months. Thaw frozen slices in the refrigerator before serving.

4. Can I omit the poppy seeds from the recipe?

Yes, the poppy seeds can be omitted if desired. The pound cake will still have a delicious lemon flavor.

5. How do I make a glaze for the pound cake?

To make the glaze, mix powdered sugar with a little lemon juice until you reach your desired consistency. Drizzle the glaze over the cooled pound cake and let it set before serving.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
leftymac
  • cochef
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
doughmama
  • quiverfull7
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies