• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Unlock Your Leadership Potential: Join Me at the 2020 Conference in Atlanta!

In summary, Angela Roark is considering going to the Leadership Conference in Atlanta but is feeling guilty because her 6 year old son is in Kindergarten and her 2.5 year old daughter is at home. She is being told by her husband that one trip a year away from them should be enough, but she wants to put her full effort into the Leadership Conference to help out with the family bills and stay home.
batroark
Gold Member
Hey everybody! I am finally past Christmas, I have registered for Leadership Conference in Atlanta, and now it is the deadline (Dec. 27) to back out of going or lose $50 if I do back out. My husband is making me feel guilty for wanting to go. I have a 6 yr. old boy that is in Kindergarten and a 2 1/2 yr. old girl that I stay at home with during the day which my sister-in-law told me show would help me out (this PC and my kids are my full time jobs!). I am being told by my husband that one trip a year away from them should be enough since I got to go to Chicago this summer for National Con. I am a future director that has been in since Feb. with $21K in sales so far this year. I am really wanting to put my ALL into this to help out with the family bills and to be able to stay at home (he thinks I need to put my college degree to work doing something else outside the home). Can someone help pep me up on me going to Leadership next week and what all the pros would possibly be? I mean, it is not like I am leaving the 3 of them forever or anything (I hope!?!).:confused:

Angela Roark
Ind. Future Director
Corning, AR

I'm assuming your goal is to eventually promote to director, right? Do you and your husband know all the perks that go along with that? My husband sees the financial benefits from it (some Directors more than double their regular commission checks just from the overrides of being a director....I've got a ways to make it to THAT point, though), but I see so much more. But the financial piece is what a lot of spouses tend to see first. Since you're a future director, your monthly reports should show you what your income would be IF you were a director. Well, that's probably not even for the amount of consultants you'll eventually have, so imagine the income potential.

Somewhere out there, there's probably a flyer or something that outlines a commission check nicely for a director who has average sales her/himself and whose consultants have average sales for a given month. Maybe some more experienced directors have something like this. This is a concrete way to show your husband what could possibly happen for you and your family, at least financially. That's not even saying you could get FREE products twice a year (this shelling out less of your own money), discounts on personal orders, decreased points requirements for the incentive program, $50 a month to market yourself or your teams via a booth or table at an event, $100 a year for some type of professional development seminar or something, etc, etc. Those are the biggies in my mind. But what you CAN'T put a price on is something like the enjoyment and satisfaction YOU get out of it. Of building your own business, of seeing your consultants' build their businesses and supporting them, of learning more and more the farther you move up, and the list could go on. Those are just a few off the top of my head, but I know there are more.

Has your husband read Doris Christopher's book? Have you? I think that is such a great tool for US to see where this business started, but also for those who may not "get it" the same way we do. My husband has told me numerous times that I've taken my business WAY farther than he ever thought I would (and I agree!), so it just shows how far you can take it if you put your mind to it. Sure, it's hard work, but in the end you'll be providing SO much for your family. Not just financially, but also allowing your kids to see you setting goals and achieving them, as well as dedicating yourself to something besides your family.

And, there's a lot to be said for just having a break from home from time to time, too! I know I come home from conference in the summer refreshed and motivated about my business, but also about being a stay-at-home mom because we need those breaks every so often! Well, I know I'm rambling, but hopefully you get the picture! :D

Thanks!Thank you for the reply. I went to bed last night praying it would all work out. Yes, I came back from Chicago being so blown away that it was amazing. I did purchase Doris' book there and when I came back shortly after I read it. My husband did not read it. However, I was flowing over at the seams on telling him what was in the book with him going "Hhhmm, Cool, or Wow that is neat, you can make that Much?!" He works about 60-70 hrs. a week so there is not much time for reading.

I have two recriuts under me right now. I live in Arkansas, one lives in Alabama (9 hrs. away), and the other lives 30 mins. away from me. I truly feel like I am not giving them all the help as possible that they need being new consultants.

Around my family or town (or maybe everywhere) it is being said that the stay-at-home moms don't do anything, are lazy, and should get out and get a "real" job! I don't know how to tell my family and people around me that I AM working at home full-force not only with my kids and PC, but putting my Associates Degree with computers to use as well.

Thanks again for allowing me to see more of the bigger picture, I may be emailing you more to ask a few questions! If you or anyone else has any input please send it so I can pass it on to my husband. lol

The book I would suggest for your husband is "Come to the Basement" by Jay Christopher (Doris' husband). It really targets the consultant's support system...our spouses. It is very small and easy to read. It contains tons of quotes from spouses of consultants. It might help your husband see the big picture.

Also, if it's possible, maybe you and your husband can go to dinner with your director and her husband. Sometimes it helps for the men to talk and your director and her husband can answer specific questions your husband might have.

I think if you can find out what is important to him (ie: financial benefits, your sense of fulfillment, free vacations, etc) you can show him how PC can really benefit your family. This is where your director can come in.

The benefits you will receive from attending Leadership Summitt will be amazing. I actually prefer Leadership over National. It is smaller and more intimate. It is targeted at helping us become better and stronger leaders which can only enhance our clusters. The workshops seem more geared to what we need as opposed to National where they tend to be a bit more generic so as to appeal to the wider needs of all consultants.

That is a great idea!I will try to locate the book by Jay. I have heard some great reviews about it. I would love the idea about my husband and I getting together with my director and and her husband, but she lives about 2 hrs. away and we don't even have cluster meetings. Since signing up in Feb. over the phone I have seen her twice (at a Seminar near St. Louis with Steve and Lynn Wiltshire and we drove up together to Chicago for National). I am trying a figure out how to build my own team and set up my own cluster meetings even though one of my recruits live in Alabama. I spend alot of time on the phone or computer with her. I appreciate the input so far. I definitely love the networking that goes on in this site with all kinds of help and input involved!!! :)

WowI know exactly what you are going through!

I have been with the PC for 3 years now and have attended Leadership 2 times and Conference 2 times. I also have a 3 year old daughter and an 8 month old son. I too have a college degree that my husband told me I was wasting when I first started my business.

My husband tried the guilt trip the first Leadership that I went to :mad: ...well I put my foot down and told him this was my job and 2 conferences a year were part of my job. Since then I have only missed one National because of having my son (my choice). I compare it to his work and hobbies. He works 50-60 hours a week out of home, I work 8-9 hours a week out of home. He plays hockey 2 nights a week for a total of 6 hours. He has a "boy's trip" in February with his Dad and brothers for 3 days. And he hunts in the fall for a week. When I compared the time he spent away from the family to the time I spend away, he didn't have an arguement anymore! :p

Needless to say, when we went to Disneyworld this year my husband gave me a big hug and said he was so proud to have a successful wife! He didn't realize that less than 10% of all consultants earn any level of incentive! He also hasn't shut up about Vienna since I earned it in November. He is telling everyone!

My income is helping us buy our first home (stick-built)! :D And it has helped buy a new truck and a 4-wheeler. So needless to say he is glad my recruiter asked! :)

If you want to promote to Director, Leadership is the way to go! I will be walking at Leadership this year and am so happy! As explained above, the benefits are amazing! Your income will jump after conference and when you promote to Director!

Hope to see you there!

Does anybody know?Does anybody know if anyone going to Leadership needs a room mate? I am in search of a room and not real picky. Please notify me as soon as possible! Thanks in advance. :) P.S.-I don't snore! lol

Help is on the way!Angela,

I could put your information on my Director's loop if you want. I have seen a lot of requests on there looking for additional roommates etc.

I would need to know what nights you are staying and all your contact information! E-mail me privately at [email protected] if you want me to do this!

I am so excited you are going! Cheer for me when I cross the stage! There is only 1 Wyoming Director going with me! So I need all of the cheers I can get!

I'll cheer for you Marlene! Although I'll be walking on stage too. :)

I would love to!Hey girls! I would love to cheer for you both! I have finally gotten pepped up for getting to go, so now I am so excited I can't wait to go. And that is thanks to you two and some other great ones on this awesome site! WOW! I hope to be able to meet you two and some others from here at Leasdership to be able to put the names and faces together while networking on here. I am not weird...please don't think that.

I think I have found a room at the Embassy. Someone from CA emailed me stating she had gotten word that I was needing a room and extended her welcome to me. Again, thanks everybody!

Last edited:
Angela -- Everyone else here has said such wonderful things about going to Leadership...and now you sound like you're committed to going...but I had to put in my .02 anyway!

I've been in PC 10 years and have missed a total of 3 conferences (2 Nat'l and 1 Ldrship) -- all because of having babies (I have 6 kids). First of all, Leadership is a MUST if you want to truly build your business. It is much more focused on the recruiting/leadership/training aspect of your business. If you now feel like you are not supporting your recruits as you'd like, you will definitely have the opportunity to work on that at Leadership.

As for being away from home...my hubby manages just fine with 6 kids for two conferences/year plus downline visits with my out-of-town directors (2 per year). He's their Dad! He has a wonderful relationship with them, and I believe they are closer and he is much more capable of parenting because of my occasional absences -- whether it's for several days for conf or a few nights a week for shows/meetings. He takes time off work when he has to for me to go (we consider it a reasonable use of vacation time), and sometimes other family members have helped out (which means someone travels 900 miles, because we're military and live far from both families).

As someone else said -- attending conferences is part of the job. Because we get to go to fun places, and because we truly enjoy what we do, some people have trouble seeing it as a job. That doesn't mean we should be penalized just because we have enough sense to choose a job we LOVE, even if it's not what we went to college for. Statistically, the majority of people end up working most of their lives in jobs unrelated to their college backgrounds anyway. :D

Aahhh!ChefJillPC,

Aahhh, thank you so much for your 2 cents! That was so from the heart that it made me teary-eyed. I really feel that came back home. My husband was not wanting "Me" to go, but after my husband realized that I had made sitter arrangements for my two kids for the couple of weekdays and nights that I would be gone, he told me they were not going to stay the night. He said he would not work such long hours and come pick them up at a decent time since they were "His!" kids. I told him he had his deer, rabbit, and squirrel hunting time (as well as some others), fishing events with the guys, and all other kinds of things that generally costs us money that didn't pertain to his jobs. So the least I could do is going away a couple times a year for a few days that was! pertaining to my job to help me learn how to make more money or gain directorship.

I always tell the people at my shows that I am a stay-at-home mom, this is my fun job and my fun time out with the girls to socialize with someone other than a 6 yr. old and a 2 yr. old, and daddy is at home not babysitting but it is his daddy-time with the kids. I usually get an Amen! or a chuckle from some of the other ladies saying that is how they were able to be at the show. That is actually how I got one of my recruits!

I hope to be able to meet and network with as many of you as possible and especially with alot of you from this site that have been so helpful to all of us others!

What is Leadership Conference?

Leadership Conference is an annual event hosted by Pampered Chef for our top leaders and consultants. It is a time to connect, learn, and grow together as a team.

When and where is Leadership Conference held?

Leadership Conference typically takes place in the summer, usually in July. The location varies each year, but it is usually held at a hotel or convention center in a major city.

Who can attend Leadership Conference?

Leadership Conference is open to all Pampered Chef consultants who have achieved the title of Director or above. Top leaders and Executive Directors are also invited to attend.

What happens at Leadership Conference?

Leadership Conference is a mix of training sessions, keynote speeches, networking opportunities, and fun activities. Attendees will also have the chance to preview new products and promotions for the upcoming season.

How do I register for Leadership Conference?

Invitations and registration information for Leadership Conference are typically sent out to eligible consultants in the spring. Keep an eye on your email and the Pampered Chef website for more details on how to register.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• nicki25
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
lockhartkitchen
  • NooraK
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
Patty Davis
  • debbieskitchenhelper