• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How can I prevent my seasoned round stone from smoking in the oven?

In summary, the customer's stone is seasoned and black, but when she puts it in the oven it smokes. The customer is wanting to know how she can stop the stone from smoking.
crsnlsa
Gold Member
I have a customer that has had a large round stone for several years... She advised that the stone is very seasoned and is completely black. The stone still cooks wonderfully however advised that when she puts in the oven it smokes. She is wanting any information on how she can stop the stone from smoking... Anyone have any clues.. I have never heard of such a thing. Please let me know. Thank you in advance.

That is a new one on me! That is a very seasoned stone. One thing she might try is making a paste of baking soda and water and rubbing it all over it, back and front. Let it sit a little while, and then of course rinse really well with hot hot water. There could be some "imbedded" smells or stains within the stone. This is what is advised to clean them really well, and since it is not a chemical, it won't absorb it and mess up the stone. Let me know if this works!

Thank you for the tip... I will give my customer the information and see if it works.. have a great day! :D

A while back - Pampered Chef recommended putting your stones through the self cleaning cycle of your oven and they would come clean. I did this to one of mine and it came out looking brand new. I'm not sure if PC still recommends it, but she can try it.

Boomer Sooner
Shannon Overstreet

I have also heard that really black stones could be a result of an unclean oven....

I purchased my large round stone back in '95 and it is almost completely black except for the center. I still scrub it down with baking soda regularly but I've never had it smoke like you are describing. Is your customer sure it's the stone smoking and not something dripping off of it? I'd ask her what she is cooking on it when it smokes. Let us know how it turns out. :)

Pampered Chef does not suggest you put your stones through the self-clean cycle anymore. The high temperature can cause the stone to crack.

I have heard of other brands of stones smoking because of their inferior quality and because they are designed only as a "pizza stone." If you try to bake cookies or frozen nuggets on them the oil gets into the stone and causes it to smoke. Are you sure her stone is PC?

"are you sure her stone is PC"
My first pizza stone was not, and once it got seasoned it smoked all the time. My seasoned PC items do not smoke.

Mine is 9 years oldand is a black as can be and it never smokes one bit.
I would have her flip it over to see if our name is on it. Even my 9 year old one has the Pamepred Chef name on it.

Sooner PC said:
A while back - Pampered Chef recommended putting your stones through the self cleaning cycle of your oven and they would come clean. I did this to one of mine and it came out looking brand new. I'm not sure if PC still recommends it, but she can try it.

Boomer Sooner
Shannon Overstreet
Pampered Chef specifically says NOT to put stones in the cleaning cycle of the oven and NOT in the dishwasher. That high of heat can cause a thermal shock and while it won't seem broken when taking it out it may crack with use.

thanksI haven't recommended it to anyone - but I did do it to my stone when that was the recommendation. It was almost black and it came out just like new. Guess I was lucky.

I would have to agree with other post - It may not be a PC stone. My mom has one she bought from Dillards or someplace like that. It has black spots on it and smells. I have tried to get her to buy a PC one and she is convinced that all stones will do the same thing. Her loss.

Boomer Sooner
Shannon Overstreet

My sister has a PC rectangle stone that is completely black. She said her husband at the time never cleaned it and that's why she thought it turned black. Anyway she said that it still bakes everything fine. And she's never complained about it smoking.

Shannon...Your mom sounds like mine, only mine won't even think of buying ANY stones, no matter where they ar efrom. She says there is no way she would have all the kitchenware I have because she wouldn't want to clean it all. I LOVE almost every piece I have. She is just old-fashion! She has ALL of the old timer things and hers melts and burns...NOT PC huh? I just roll my eyes and go on. LOL

I have a friend with bad OCD and she runs her stones through the dishwasher and says they do not taste like soap. *shrugs* I just cringe whenever she mentions it at Shows because I don't recommend to anyone to do that. :eek:

Well seasoned stonesI have several well seasoned stones that are totally black. I have had them for several years, but they work so well as they are that I don't want to just pitch those to get new ones that look prettier. I had a show where there was a nurse there that announced to about 15 other ladies that she always put her stones in either the dishwasher or on hot "soapy" water to get them clean. I don't know if it was hateful or rude, but I announce then I neither I nor Pampered Chef backed that procedure. Apparently it didn't bother her, because she ordered over $50 to get the monthly special I remember. That did probably stick in to everybody's mind on the use and care of the stones! ;)

Angela Roark #431269
Pampered Chef Future Director

Shop from your seat...not your feet!
Order online 24/7!!

Last edited:
Lisa and angela,
I'm not trying to be mean, but I just wanted to warn you that you may want to remove your personal websites from you signatures as we have all recently discovered thet it is not allowed to be in our signatures except in our e-mails to our customers. Just thought i'd give you two the heads up. There are like 3 or 4 posts all about it.

Laura-based on my understanding of the rules, we aren't supposed to mention anything at all about PC on other sites, so maybe you should check your signature too. But I don't think they were referring to this kind of format, I mean we are all obviously kitchen consultants. Anyway I really hope that people LEAVE their personal websites on their signatures because it is SOOOOO helpful to see others sites JMO

What is a Large Round Stone?

A Large Round Stone is a baking stone made of natural stoneware that is designed to evenly distribute heat and absorb moisture while baking, resulting in perfectly cooked and crispy foods.

How do I use a Large Round Stone?

To use a Large Round Stone, preheat your oven to the desired temperature and place the stone in the oven to heat up. Once hot, place your food directly on the stone and bake according to your recipe. Do not preheat the stone in the oven or place it in a hot oven as this may cause cracking.

Do I need to season the Large Round Stone?

No, there is no need to season a Large Round Stone. Simply wash it with warm water before first use and it is ready to use. Over time, the stone may develop a natural non-stick surface from repeated use.

Can I use soap to clean the Large Round Stone?

No, soap should not be used to clean a Large Round Stone as it can be absorbed into the porous surface and affect the taste of your food. Instead, use only warm water and a scraper or nylon brush to remove any stuck-on food.

Can I use a Large Round Stone on the stovetop?

No, a Large Round Stone should not be used on the stovetop as it is not designed for direct heat. It is meant to be used in the oven or microwave only.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Amanda Goode
  • babywings76
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
kcjodih
  • lisasfuncooking
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies