• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Large Grooved Cutting Board Vs Cutting Mats

In summary, the cutting mats are smaller and lighter, but the large grooved cutting board is more valuable.
wadesgirl
Gold Member
I usually bring my large grooved cutting board but in the thought of cutting back I was thinking of bringing the cutting mats instead. Any thoughts? I know the cutting board is worth more but the mats are smaller and lighter.

Don't use the chopper on the mats.... :>(

I always bring my large grooved cutting board...and the mats. I always seem to need new work surfaces and/or cutting boards. It's tempting to just bring the mats because that LGCB is big and heavy. I guess if you aren't using the food chopper, I'd say go for it! ;)

I don't think any of my recipes call for the food chopper. If so it's small and I can do it in the lid.

I always used the little cutting board that came with the kit plus my mats. I just got the "groovy" cutting board, and I am thinking that with the liquidy fruits I'm prepping for the MFP, I would perfer it at the shows... but I wasn't factoring weight into the equation.

At a lot of my shows we cut a pineapple, so I definitely bring the large grooved one for that task. ;)

Went to a show by a National Director and she used the food chopper on the mat to chop up chicken! Actually had a guest chop as well. She went on to say she'd washed the mats about 75 times in the dishwasher too. Later I looked up the Use & Care and it actually does not say anything about not using it w/the food chopper - just that they should be used for light prep tasks...Her mats looked pretty good too!

I always bring the pastry mat as my "work" area. I love that thing.

But, you can't cut on it - so I always bring the regular cutting board and a bar board.

kam said:

But, you can't cut on it - so I always bring the regular cutting board and a bar board.

That's what I do too. Depending on the space, I have my white table cloth, then I'll have the pastry mat. But I have to be careful if I have "helpers"- because they may think it's a cutting mat. NOT.

I use my regular cutting board. I cut pineapples too, and have never had a big problem. I just have a paper towel handy to mop up the juice after I'm done cutting it. But it's not like they are ever "gushers". ;)

I have only been taking the cutting mats and I have not notice my sales decreasing. I then cross sell the cutting boards from the catalog. I love the lighter bag! ;)

kam said:

I don't sell a lot but it's one of my favorite items to bring because people really do need to see to believe that it's so much better than plastic ones. But alas as I cut down my kit today it went in the cupboard!

What are the benefits of using a large grooved cutting board?

Large grooved cutting boards offer a spacious surface for cutting and chopping, making it easier to work with larger ingredients. The grooves around the edges catch any juices or liquids, preventing them from spilling onto your countertop. This board is also typically thicker and more durable, providing a sturdy surface for cutting.

Why would I choose a cutting mat over a large grooved cutting board?

Cutting mats are more flexible and can be easily rolled up for storage. They are also lightweight and easy to transport, making them a great option for picnics or outdoor cooking. Additionally, they are less expensive than large grooved cutting boards, making them a budget-friendly choice.

Can I use a large grooved cutting board for all types of food?

Yes, large grooved cutting boards are versatile and can be used for cutting fruits, vegetables, meats, and more. However, it is important to thoroughly clean and sanitize the board between uses to prevent cross-contamination.

Do cutting mats dull knives more quickly than large grooved cutting boards?

No, cutting mats are typically made from materials that are gentle on knives, such as polyethylene or silicone. They can actually help preserve the sharpness of your knives by providing a softer surface for cutting.

How do I properly clean and maintain a large grooved cutting board?

To clean a large grooved cutting board, use hot soapy water and a sponge or scrub brush to remove any food particles. Rinse with hot water and dry with a clean cloth. It is also recommended to periodically oil the board with food-grade mineral oil to maintain its quality and prevent cracking.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Lisa/ChefBear
  • leftymac
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
pampchefsarah
Replies
Views
Paula R. Lewis