• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Delicious Pancake & French Toast Recipes!

She did explain HOW to go about doing it and said she does it anyway. But I was just curious, Does anyone know why HO doesn't recommend cooking the bacon on the bar pan in the oven?
ShelleyChef23
I had heard that you could do pancakes and french toast in the large bar pan. Does anyone have the recipes?
Thank you!

At one of the workshops I was at last week (Selling with the stars), they said that HO doesn't "endorse" the cooking of bacon on the large bar pan...but she didn't say why (She was in "show mode"). She did explain HOW to go about doing it and said she does it anyway. But I was just curious, Does anyone know why HO doesn't recommend cooking the bacon on the bar pan in the oven? I think I did it once on parchment paper...never had any problem. I actually usually just do it on a broiler pan so the drippings fall below instead of stay on the bacon (but I use Turkey bacon- so there isn't much grease).Just curious.

Laurie - GREAT information. Thank you. I'm new to this site and this really helps!

Your welcome Shelley.....glad I could help. = )

Esavvy - I don't know why....any chance you got her email address or PWS? You could send her an email asking why, and then share with us! He He

esavvymom said:
At one of the workshops I was at last week (Selling with the stars), they said that HO doesn't "endorse" the cooking of bacon on the large bar pan...but she didn't say why (She was in "show mode"). She did explain HOW to go about doing it and said she does it anyway.

But I was just curious, Does anyone know why HO doesn't recommend cooking the bacon on the bar pan in the oven? I think I did it once on parchment paper...never had any problem. I actually usually just do it on a broiler pan so the drippings fall below instead of stay on the bacon (but I use Turkey bacon- so there isn't much grease).

Just curious.

Umm, I think she was just wrong. A couple years ago, there was actually a recipe for brown sugar-peppered bacon in the Seasons Best (I still make it - it's very good!)...and it was done on the bar pan! I think I'd call that an endorsement.:rolleyes:

Here is the recipe - it's a great one! And proves that even the PC Test Kitchens do their bacon on the Bar Pan!:D

The Pampered Chef ®
Wilted Spinach Salad with Candied Pepper Bacon
Recipe

8 slices thick-cut bacon
6 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon brown sugar, divided
1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
2 packages (6 ounces each) fresh baby spinach
1 medium Granny Smith apple, cored and cut into bite-sized pieces
1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion wedges
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
Salt and coarsely ground black pepper
4 hard-cooked eggs, peeled and cut into wedges

1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Line Large Bar Pan with sheet of Parchment Paper. Arrange bacon slices in a single layer on bar pan. Top bacon slices evenly with 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon of the brown sugar; sprinkle with black pepper. Bake 22-25 minutes or until crisp; remove bacon from bar pan to paper towel-lined plate and cool completely. Reserve 2 tablespoons bacon drippings from bar pan. Cut bacon into 1/2-inch pieces using Chef's Knife.

2. In Stainless (6-qt.) Mixing Bowl, combine spinach, apple and onion. Whisk remaining 4 tablespoons brown sugar, reserved bacon drippings, vinegar and mustard in Small Micro-Cooker® until well blended. Cover; microwave on HIGH 2 minutes or until bubbly. Pour over spinach mixture; toss to coat using Bamboo Spatulas. Season with salt and black pepper. Top with egg wedges and bacon pieces; serve immediately.

Yield: 8 servings

Nutrients per serving: Calories 180, Total Fat 10 g, Saturated Fat 4 g, Cholesterol 120 mg, Carbohydrate 16 g, Protein 6 g, Sodium 420 mg, Fiber 2 g

Cook's Tip: To prepare hard-cooked eggs, place eggs in (1.5-qt.) Saucepan. Cover with water about 1 inch above eggs. Bring water to a boil. Remove Saucepan from heat. Cover and let stand 20 minutes. Immediately run cold water into Saucepan to cool eggs. Peel shells.

I also think that is incorrect. I got the idea from a PC video. The bacon turns out great on the bar pan!!

esavvymom said:
At one of the workshops I was at last week (Selling with the stars), they said that HO doesn't "endorse" the cooking of bacon on the large bar pan...but she didn't say why (She was in "show mode"). She did explain HOW to go about doing it and said she does it anyway.

But I was just curious, Does anyone know why HO doesn't recommend cooking the bacon on the bar pan in the oven? I think I did it once on parchment paper...never had any problem. I actually usually just do it on a broiler pan so the drippings fall below instead of stay on the bacon (but I use Turkey bacon- so there isn't much grease).

Just curious.

do you remember which Consultant it was?

Jolie_Paradoxe said:
Esavvy - I don't know why....any chance you got her email address or PWS? You could send her an email asking why, and then share with us! He He

Yeah...I could do that. I just got an email from one of the ladies with her notes. It was Jenney Blackburn and Debbie Ellingson. I think Debbie is the one who mentioned it. If I find out, I'll let you know, but it's good to know that PC HO actually had at one time at least used it. Maybe something happened after that and they changed their mind and we missed the memo! :D

esavvymom said:
Yeah...I could do that. I just got an email from one of the ladies with her notes. It was Jenney Blackburn and Debbie Ellingson. I think Debbie is the one who mentioned it. If I find out, I'll let you know, but it's good to know that PC HO actually had at one time at least used it. Maybe something happened after that and they changed their mind and we missed the memo! :D

I doubt it - I think she's just wrong. Seriously. This recipe was from Fall/Winter 2007, and when I went on CC to grab it, the copyright had been updated to 2009 - so they are still using it as written.

Bobbi - I was there too! Thought the same thing - was puzzled, I heard it on a CD from the HO about selling collections...interesting...

Well, it wouldn't be the FIRST time a director was wrong. ;)

Here is my take on bacon. I think they say for us to use parchment paper (to soak up some of the fat). Only to do 8-10 slices. I think they want to avoid people putting a whole pound on the bar pan, having lots of fat in the pan and having is splash onto a hot oven coil and starting a fire, during cooking or when they remove it from the oven. I think it is okay if it is done carefully, and I tell people it is a great way to cook bacon.Also I love pancakes in the oven (done as described above). I can cook eggs while the pancakes cook and everyone eats at the same time.

BlessedWifeMommy said:
Here is my take on bacon. I think they say for us to use parchment paper (to soak up some of the fat). Only to do 8-10 slices. I think they want to avoid people putting a whole pound on the bar pan, having lots of fat in the pan and having is splash onto a hot oven coil and starting a fire, during cooking or when they remove it from the oven.

I think it is okay if it is done carefully, and I tell people it is a great way to cook bacon.

Also I love pancakes in the oven (done as described above). I can cook eggs while the pancakes cook and everyone eats at the same time.

I figured it would probably be something like this. Or people splashing themselves with the hot grease when they take it out of the oven.
Since I use Turkey Bacon, there is virtually no drippings, but I still use Parchment paper.

esavvymom said:
I figured it would probably be something like this. Or people splashing themselves with the hot grease when they take it out of the oven.
Since I use Turkey Bacon, there is virtually no drippings, but I still use Parchment paper.

??? I've been doing bacon on a bar pan for 7 years - with a sheet of parchment under it. There isn't enough grease to splash - and it doesn't splatter like it does when you fry it. I'd be much more likely to burn myself when frying bacon on top of the stove! That's when it pops and splatters and makes a mess! Bacon on the bar pan is something that has been used and endorsed by PC for as long as I've been a consultant, and as we've shown, it's been in both print recipes and audio training. So really, someone needs to contact the person who was saying this and correct her!

Before I knew to use parchment paper, I did bacon once, and I wanted to get the most on the pan as I could, so I crammed it on. Well the bacon came out great (a few pieces that were touching stuck together), but there was a lot of grease that would have splashed if I had tried to get it out of the oven. I waited until the pan was cool (just took the bacon off with tongs) and cleaned it up. I think we just need to give instructions when telling people they can cook bacon in the oven.

I always make my bacon in a bar pan, and lately I haven't even been using the parchment. It's my favorite way to season a new stoneware pan, actually. Plus it's so much easier than babysitting a pan on the stovetop and turns out great.

BlessedWifeMommy said:
Before I knew to use parchment paper, I did bacon once, and I wanted to get the most on the pan as I could, so I crammed it on. Well the bacon came out great (a few pieces that were touching stuck together), but there was a lot of grease that would have splashed if I had tried to get it out of the oven. I waited until the pan was cool (just took the bacon off with tongs) and cleaned it up.

I think we just need to give instructions when telling people they can cook bacon in the oven.

That's what I meant...not so much splash/splatter while cooking as much slosh the grease on yourself or oven or floor while trying to get it OUT of the oven. :D Sorry.

This is how I was told to season my bar pan, and wasn't told anything about using parchment. Worked like a dream!

I love cooking bacon in the bar pan in the oven because everything in the house doesn't smell like bacon and neither do you. I use to hate going to church with the smell of bacon in my clothes and hair. I use this line also as a selling point. Works great.

I used parchment paper once and thought it was such a waste. It didn't absorb anything and then there was still this huge amount of grease. I used to spread out my 1 lb of bacon onto 2 stones, so that the pieces didn't have to touch each other and stick and have the overlapped sections not cook to the same degree of crispness. But lately, I've tried just overlapping them slightly and doing them on one bar pan. There is a lot more grease having it in one pan, but it still wasn't too huge of an amount of grease that it would be boiling and spattering and causing a fire. I keep my stone in the middle of the oven, so it isn't near the element that close anyway.

Well, I emailed the lady that said it (about the bacon) and I'll post what she says. Not that we'd all do it anyway, but just curious!! :DUpdate:
The one lady I emailed that I thought made the comment, said:
Yes, we all do it. It was actually Jenney who spoke about it. HO feels it's a fire hazard.
Not much to go on- but it's probably what we all expected- the excess grease getting spilled could probably cause a fire on a hot element.

Last edited:
Jolie_Paradoxe said:
Pancakes: Pour your batter into the bar pan and bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes. You will have a huge pancake that you can then cut into squares. Let your children use the Creative Cutters to make their own shapes.

Also check out this link:

http://www.chefsuccess.com/f7/large-bar-pan-recipes-15055/
I did this tonight while my husband was frying bologna and eggs on HIS new double burner griddle. I forgot how to long to cook them and only did about 12 minutes. They were delicious but fell apart very easy so next time I will remember to cook them longer.

Cool taterbug....tell your hubby I'm jealous! I want the double burner griddle! lol I'm hoping to get the 12" skillet in Aug....if I get the option for the second, I don't know if I want the double burner, the stir fry, or the stock pot....decisions, decisions, decisions! lol

I'm right there with ya Laurie - my August goal is to get the 12" skillet. Followed by the big stockpot. I know I have no room to "want" after what I won but a girl can dream! :D The only open stock I really "wanted" was the 12" skillet but I can cope with the others. hehe Here's to hoping we each get what we want out of August. I'd cut off an arm for a recruit as well. Ok I'll stop dreaming now... Best wishes!

BTW: If you want to know torture...I wonthe dbl burner griddle and cannot use it. I put it in my basement to be used in the future as I have a glass top range that specifically lists not to use dbl burner pans as it may adhere itself to the glass in the middle where there is no heat. Its like I was given chocolate and told I cannot eat it. Cruel and unusual punishment! The pans last a lifetime, my stove won't. hehe

My apologies for my response that doesn't fit in this thread. I wish I had ideas for you on the large bar pan however I don't use mine as creatively as others do.

Jolie_Paradoxe said:
Cool taterbug....tell your hubby I'm jealous! I want the double burner griddle! lol I'm hoping to get the 12" skillet in Aug....if I get the option for the second, I don't know if I want the double burner, the stir fry, or the stock pot....decisions, decisions, decisions! lol

The double burner griddle was the one piece of cookware I didn't think I needed, and I only got it because I had points to use up for Panorama (was it last year? I can't remember when)
Now, it's the piece I use the most besides my 12" skillet. I love that thing! It is amazing!

Melissa78 said:
BTW: If you want to know torture...I wonthe dbl burner griddle and cannot use it. I put it in my basement to be used in the future as I have a glass top range that specifically lists not to use dbl burner pans as it may adhere itself to the glass in the middle where there is no heat. Its like I was given chocolate and told I cannot eat it. Cruel and unusual punishment! The pans last a lifetime, my stove won't. hehe
I have a glass top stove too but would never have thought about there being an issue. I didn't notice anything like that last night when we used it (I just got it for him so it was the first time he used it).
I would never have thought that it would be a product that I "needed" or "wanted", but he likes to cook breakfast and always makes the biggest mess; two or three skillets, a bunch of oil splattering everywhere, etc. I explained to him last night that he did not need to use oil on this pan so I had no oil slicks to clean and only one pan to wash.
One thing I will note about using this pan on a glass top stove: the burners on a glass top stove take quite a while to cool down after you have turned them off. He left the pan across the two burners that he used while cooking and when I went to pick the pan up to clean it, I noticed that it was still extremely hot. So, unless your burners cool off as soon as you turn them off, don't leave the pan on them.

I am surprised you can't use them with glass top either. Especially since nowadays most people unless they have a gas stove have glass tops. I don't even know if you can buy the other kind anymore.

PCMomto4 said:
I am surprised you can't use them with glass top either. Especially since nowadays most people unless they have a gas stove have glass tops. I don't even know if you can buy the other kind anymore.

I will do some research, but for now, I plan to use mine.

Melissa78 said:

I've used mine on many occasion and have not had any trouble with it at all.

I will try to find where I read that. I will be ECSTATIC if I can use it! I know that I read it somewhere (as I would not have thought of this on my own) and then I was watching Jon & Kate Plus 8 and watched her glass top explode when the hot lid w/ steam suctioned to the glass top. I do remember reading that the problem is that the pan heats up yet the glass inbetween the burners stays cold (unless you have the 'bridge' between 2 burners) and that the pan can then adhere to the glass b/c of the temperature difference. Perhaps b/c it is hard andondized perhaps its ok (and the flat bottom). Thanks so much for the feedback. I'll do a happy dance for sure!

Does any one do french toast in the large bar stone... I have bacon and pancakes down pat but wonder about french toast as mentioned in the very first post

I have a question about the pancakes. When you cook them in the oven are they suppose to turn brown like they would if you cooked them on the stove? I cooked some in the oven today and they didn't come out like I expected them. Any suggestions?

My pancakes turn light brown and I'd LOVE to know how to do french toast!!

Please share.

Lisa

This totally rocks. No need to refrigerate overnight or prepare anything in advance. We never make any other kind of French toast anymore....

FAMILY STYLE FRENCH TOAST (BAKED)

INGREDIENTS:
2/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
6 eggs, lightly beaten
1 3/4 cups milk
1 (1 pound) loaf French bread, cut into 1 inch slices

DIRECTIONS:
1. Combine brown sugar, butter and cinnamon; spread evenly in your large bar pan; set aside.
2. Combine eggs and milk in a bowl (I use my stick blender to mix them effortlessly); dip bread slices in mixture; flip bread over and then place in baking dish over sugar mixture. Pour any remaining egg milk mixture over bread slices.
3. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Serve brown sugar side up.

esavvymom said:
Well, I emailed the lady that said it (about the bacon) and I'll post what she says. Not that we'd all do it anyway, but just curious!! :D

Update:
The one lady I emailed that I thought made the comment, said:

Not much to go on- but it's probably what we all expected- the excess grease getting spilled could probably cause a fire on a hot element.

I find all of this very interesting.
I have printed the "new consultant kit product cards" from CC. ON the one for the Large Bar Pan, there are words to day about the "all day pan", starting with bacon for breakfast with a footnote that leads to the recipe printed at the bottom of the card.
If they were not endorsing it then they wouldn't be encouraging "NEW" consultants to talk about.
I know that we all pick up things from one another, but this was specifically printed from HO.

We do a pancake in the stone as a birthday breakfast. The kids love getting a cake first thing in the morning. I put chips or blueberries to make their age.I still prefer pancakes cooked on the griddle but this is fun for something different.....

esavvymom said:

Slight highjack here, I was in that SWTS workshop, I don't actually remember anyone saying that, but then again, that was a pretty crazy workshop that left me scratching my head, so I can safely say there's not a whole lot about that one that I remember! LOL Those who attended it will know what I mean...Ha ha

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
chellb1234
Replies
Views
Happy Mom
  • kewaters
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
pkd09