• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Solving the Mystery of the Bamboo Platter Mark-Ups

In summary, the conversation revolved around a bamboo platter that had gotten marked up or damaged in various ways, including scuff marks and cut marks from misuse at a show. Some participants mentioned using oil or a baking soda paste to try and remove the marks, while others suggested returning the platter for a replacement. There was some discussion about the warranty and whether it would cover damage caused by a customer at a show.
smstrks
Is the large bamboo platter covered for possible 'marking up'? Mine got a little marked up over the weekend and I just got it on Friday.

Thanks,
Stephanie

Do you mean it got stained?

nope...not stained....almost like something rubbed it. It has some non removeable white scuff looking marks on it.

mine have scuff marks on them already- they just must be sensitive, which is disapointing.

I received the bamboo knife block and it had a scuff mark on it and we had just taken it out of the box. It was really visible when the light would reflect on the spot. It almost looked like someone took a piece of steel wool and rubbed on it. We returned it and got a new one.

I specifically told my host NOT to cut bread on my bamboo platter, but her sister got a hold of it and sliced a whole loaf of french bread on it - it's ruined!! I was wondering if I could return mine, too, since I just got it in March and it was damaged at a show - any thoughts?? I guess I should just call...

Has anyone tried using an oil that is sold for bamboo cutting boards? My platter has scuff marks as well but I haven't bought any of the oil to try yet. Thought maybe it would pretty it up some.

cathyskitchen said:
I specifically told my host NOT to cut bread on my bamboo platter, but her sister got a hold of it and sliced a whole loaf of french bread on it - it's ruined!! I was wondering if I could return mine, too, since I just got it in March and it was damaged at a show - any thoughts?? I guess I should just call...

:eek::eek::eek:

cathyskitchen said:

Just do an online adjustment and you will get it replaced.

Though do remember that you will be returning the platter, and that it may be fairly obvious the damage came from misuse, thus voiding the warranty.

Use and Care for Bamboo Platters

1. Wash prior to first use; hand wash only. Towel dry immediately. Do not soak in water, bleach or dishwash.
2. Subtle color and shape variations may occur due to natural variations in bamboo and the handcrafting process.
3. Store platter away from heat.
4. Not intended for use with candles.
5. Do not use sharp or serrated knives on surface, as it may cause surface scratching.
6. Turmeric-based ground spices, such as yellow curry, may discolor tray.
7. For stubborn food odors, use a baking soda paste. Mix 1/2-cup (125 mL) baking soda with 3 tablespoons (45 mL) water. Apply paste to platter and let sit for 15 minutes.
Rinse and towel dry immediately.
8. Three-year guarantee for noncommercial use. Refer to sales receipt for details.

Jolie_Paradoxe said:
Though do remember that you will be returning the platter, and that it may be fairly obvious the damage came from misuse, thus voiding the warranty.

I know the use and care guidelines, but *I* wasn't the one who did it - a customer did at one of my shows. I always thought we were covered on our products that we use at shows if they get damaged at a show. I've returned other things that were damaged by a host or guest (broken Simple Additions, broken wine bottle opener, etc.) and had them replaced, so I'm not sure why I wouldn't be able to get this replaced, too. It's the same idea. And, if they want me to sell it, I need to bring a nice one that doesn't have cut marks in it!!! :eek:

I had a customer drop my bamboo bowl from sell a thon and broke it...I called and the lady was very nice about doing an adjustment and did the free fed ex pick up since it happened at a show and by a customer. Hope you can get yours replaced without any trouble :)

cathyskitchen said:
I know the use and care guidelines, but *I* wasn't the one who did it - a customer did at one of my shows. I always thought we were covered on our products that we use at shows if they get damaged at a show. I've returned other things that were damaged by a host or guest (broken Simple Additions, broken wine bottle opener, etc.) and had them replaced, so I'm not sure why I wouldn't be able to get this replaced, too. It's the same idea. And, if they want me to sell it, I need to bring a nice one that doesn't have cut marks in it!!! :eek:

Goodness! Sounds like you have a lot of damage at your shows!

cathyskitchen said:

That's good to know...I didn't even know we had this clause (I'm new, only 90 days in)....if this has happened before, and they allow it, then I don't see why you couldn't....let me know what the result is. Thanks for the tip, and please don't think I thought *YOU* didn't know the use and care guidelines....I was just trying to point out that the return dept would notice the damage. If *YOU* know that HO will replaced damaged items, then what exactly is the question....I must have misinterpreted that you weren't sure it *WOULD* be replaced....

there is no official clause, but most solution center reps I've talked to have been more than happy to replace things that were damaged at shows as long as they are still within the guarantee period. I had a host wash my dishes using one of those green abrasive scrubbies before--my food chopper, my easy read measuring cups, etc, were all scratched up. When I called the Solution Center to see if there was anything they could do, they replaced all the items that were still in the guarantee period. I had to buy a new Measure All Cup and that was it. :)

KimoMakano said:
Goodness! Sounds like you have a lot of damage at your shows!

When you have an average of 13 - 15 people at each show, it's hard to keep track of all of your products at every moment. I've been doing this for 6 years, and the percent of times I've had something damaged is small, but since I've had over 250 shows, it's bound to happen occasionally. I wouldn't say "I have a lot of damage at my shows", I'd just say I've had a lot of shows with a lot of people in attendance, and it increased the chances of these things happening.

DebbieJ said:
there is no official clause, but most solution center reps I've talked to have been more than happy to replace things that were damaged at shows as long as they are still within the guarantee period.

I had a host wash my dishes using one of those green abrasive scrubbies before--my food chopper, my easy read measuring cups, etc, were all scratched up. When I called the Solution Center to see if there was anything they could do, they replaced all the items that were still in the guarantee period. I had to buy a new Measure All Cup and that was it. :)

Nice!!! You girls are such a great resource for us! Thank you....everytime I log on, it's like a new gem is discovered....I love it! :thumbup:

This is great to know.

1. How do I remove the marks from my bamboo platter?

To remove marks from your bamboo platter, mix equal parts baking soda and water to create a paste. Gently rub the paste onto the marks using a soft cloth. Let it sit for a few minutes, then wipe off with a damp cloth. Repeat if necessary.

2. Will this method damage the bamboo platter?

No, this method will not damage your bamboo platter. Baking soda is a gentle and natural cleaning agent that is safe to use on bamboo surfaces.

3. What if the marks are still there after using baking soda?

If the marks are still visible after using baking soda, try using a white vinegar and water solution. Mix equal parts vinegar and water and use a soft cloth to gently scrub the marks. Rinse with water and dry with a clean cloth.

4. Can I use other cleaning products on my bamboo platter?

We recommend using natural and gentle cleaning products, such as baking soda and white vinegar, on your bamboo platter. Harsh chemicals and abrasive cleaners can damage the surface of the bamboo.

5. How can I prevent marks from appearing on my bamboo platter?

To prevent marks from appearing on your bamboo platter, avoid using sharp utensils or cutting directly on the surface. You can also apply a food-safe oil or beeswax to the surface of the platter to create a barrier and protect against marks. Regularly cleaning and oiling your bamboo platter can also help maintain its appearance.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Phi_Phi_18
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • Gretchen Burnett
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Tenille V.
  • KellyRedHead