• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Director Are Lap Boards Necessary for a Successful Direct Sales Show?

In summary, the conversation is about the use of lap boards in parties and whether it affects sales or not. Some people have stopped using them to cut down on carrying items and others still use them for convenience. However, the general consensus is that the success of a party depends more on host coaching and keeping things simple, rather than the use of lap boards or additional materials.
cookingwithlove
Gold Member
In the effort to carry less and sell more. I have stopped taking my lap boards to cut down on what I am carrying. I used to put in a 1/2 page of the guest specials that they could use as a wish list too and a recruiting flyer either the 30-day challenge or the discover us. I am now wonder if this affecting my shows by not having this information available in lap boards. What are your thoughts?

Keep it simple! I haven't used lap boards in a LONG time and it doesn't seem to make a difference. The success of your show lies mostly in HOST COACHING! Don't over think it!

DebbieJ said:
Keep it simple! I haven't used lap boards in a LONG time and it doesn't seem to make a difference. The success of your show lies mostly in HOST COACHING! Don't over think it!
Agreed. I replied over on CS on what I do at the show to counteract what they no longer get without the lapboard.Most people don't look at the extra things anyway. I know that when I go to a party I look for the catalog and receipt and skip over all the other stuff they give me.

Agreed. I bet you won't see a single change in your show average by not using them.

I only use them so people have something firm to write on when filling out their order form. I also include my book in close flyer and my various $99 deals

I give everyone a catalog. Tucked inside the catalog is an order form and a flyer with the guest special and that is it. I find that they are more likely to spend $60 if they have that in front of them b/c they don't listen when I talk about it repeatedly. When I give them their receipt I tuck it in a Discover Us brochure. I don't mess with "sets" mostly because I can't handle the extra work it requires. Sticking to basics here.

I never used lapboards, I use the manilla file folders that I write on in bright colored permanent marker. I re use these, sometimes people take them home but most of the time they don't and it gives everyone something to write on. I quit adding any extra flyers, not even the guest special or anything else because I needed to cut back on my printing costs. I now just carry the guest special, host special (for the month I am trying to book), and the recruiting bonus in page protectors, I talk about them and pass them around. I haven't found that that changed my sales at all. I was so frustrated with the show where they thought they had 20 people coming and I would print a bunch of guest specials and then have to throw so many out at the end of the month. Or you get them back and they let their kids draw on them ( or maybe the parents did!) or they wrote their grocery list on it. Anyway, I thought they might spend less if it wasn't in front of them but that doesn't seem to be the case :)

I love my lap boards & I'm ticked at hubby for not mailing them to me yet! I had just invested in the newer black ones because I needed more than what I had in white. The box from Merrill arrived after I evacuated & is still sitting in Japan unopened. He's told me a dozen times that he's going to re-address it & send it to me as-is. But I haven't seen it yet. :(I slide the guest flyer in the pocket on the back so they don't get taken home or written on. I can re-use the same ones all month long.I also love that the customer has something firm to write on. No more watching them fumble around trying to figure out a good position like they did when I first started my business.

When I first started my business a customer suggested I get lap boards, that it would be more professional. I did and some people did like them but I noticed that most still fumbled. When I had to cut back on carrying things they were the first to go and I haven't notice anyone struggling with placing their orders. When I gave everyone their own guest flyer some would look at it but I'd still get people with $55 orders who'd say they didn't see it when I pointed out they were so close to the free item. Now that I have it there to pass around (in a plastic sleeve) they talk about it among themselves more. Of course I mention it more than once but the most effective thing is them telling each other that it's a great deal.I've done the flip board, the binder, the lapboards with info for each person, the file folders, the pocket folders... for me, the catalog and receipt and one or two copies of the specials strategically placed works just as well as any other method to get the info out there and better with some groups. I'm all about saving $$ (printing cost), time (stuffing them, making sure the info is still in each one, redoing them every month) and weight (those things get heavy!)

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I agree they are heavy difficult to carry. I also dislike stuffing them each month and checking them before each so. But like Sheila, I like that it has all of the information in there for eacy guest. I stopped using them this summer and my summer was a bust. My sales were down and my leads were down. I am not sure I can blame this entirely on lap boards, but maybe a little?

no, summer is a slow show time. I don't think you can blame it on lap boards.

I've used lap boards, I've used manila folders....and now, I've come full circle back to just a catalog and order form. I talk about the guest & host specials and pass around a 3 ring binder with that info - along with the recruiting info for the month.I've also started carrying only what I am using for the demo, along with new cookbooks and a few favorite pantry items. I just had the best summer ever (personally for sales, bookings and recruiting), and my bookings look great for the Fall. My show avg. is up by about $50. I will continue to keep things as simple as possible. It makes my job look easy to recreate, and people are noticing!

1. What are lap boards?

Lap boards, also known as lap desks or lap trays, are portable writing surfaces that can be used on your lap. They typically have a flat, hard surface and may have a cushion or padding underneath for comfort.

2. What are the benefits of using a lap board?

Using a lap board can provide a stable and comfortable surface for writing, drawing, or using a laptop or tablet. It also helps to protect your lap from heat or spills. Lap boards are also portable, making them convenient for use on-the-go.

3. Are lap boards necessary for working on a laptop or tablet?

No, lap boards are not necessary but they can provide added comfort and stability. Using a lap board can also help to prevent your laptop or tablet from overheating as it provides a barrier between your device and your lap.

4. How do I choose the right lap board for my needs?

When choosing a lap board, consider the size and weight of the board, as well as the material and padding. If you plan on using it for extended periods of time, look for one with ergonomic features. You may also want to consider if it has additional features such as storage compartments or a built-in mouse pad.

5. Can lap boards be used for activities other than writing or using a laptop?

Yes, lap boards can be used for a variety of activities such as eating, crafting, or playing games. They can also be used for support while reading or studying. Some lap boards even have adjustable angles, making them suitable for use as a mini easel for painting or drawing.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• cookingwithlove
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
byrd1956
  • ChefCat
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
lt1jane
  • Sheila