• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Troubleshooting Dull Knives: Expert Tips for Sharpness Maintenance

In summary, the customers' knives were not sharp and the company's knives were not sharp either. The customers were told how to sharpen their knives, but the knives were still not sharp. The company replaced the customers' knives and the customers did not have to wait long.
nicolespcshows
Is anyone having problems with the knives. I have had several customers say that they don't use theirs because they are dull. I explained to them that they come with the built in sharpener and tell them how to use them and they tell me that is what they do and they are still dull. Actually, mine isn't the sharpest either. Could someone give me some advice? :confused:

I was having this problem too, but then I learned something new. I thought we were only suppose to squeeze and pull the knife out in one direction. I then observed an advanced director do a cooking show. She said that you can go back and forth. This seemed to make mine much sharper.

Tina

Tina,

You must have been at the meeting in April! I picked up that tip as well.

Yes I was there, w/ Marna Ross.
That was amazing! I got so many new ideas.

KG and I were talking about this and he was saying that (and KG if I am wrong please correct me) the "self-sharpening" is really just a honer and does not sharpen a dull knife but can help in keeping a sharp knife sharp. My utility knife is dull and I can't for the life of me get it sharp...hoping for some new ones this fall......

soonerchef said:
...hoping for some new ones this fall......

Use your warranty! Even if your items came in your Starter Kit or SS bonuses, they are still covered by warranty! Call HO, tell them the problem, and get new ones NOW...you don't have to wait!

Nicole,

I was going to say the same thing.....they are lifetime warranty, just get them replaced!!! Tell the customers the same thing too, they can see how great our warranties are!!!

Yep--get it replaced! The HO replaced my neighbor's knife, which had very obviously been in the dishwasher. She didn't have a receipt or even know when or from whom it was purchased. (She got it before I became a consultant). They replaced it no problem! We just had to send it back to them.

Please explain how you can sharpen by going back and forth? It only goes in one way. I must be CONFUSED!!!!!

I'm with spoiledchef....I thought it could only go one way too!
Also, the knives are stainless steel correct? Well, I've only use mine a few times and I started to notice that blade getting a little rusty! Agh! I just got it too! Have any of you guys experienced this?

I inadvertantly left my utility knife in water overnight. It pitted and rusted. HO replaced it without issue.

One of the things I tell my customers is that I squeeze the case to hone the blade EVERY time I go to use it. I'll pull it through 5 or so times in succession about every 4-5 uses. I've found that this keeps the edge nicely sharp.

rusted knivesYES! I had a customer that ordered 2 sets of the steak knives and he used one set more often and that set was already rusted!! HE had it less than 30 days! AND all 4 knives were rusted. So i called HO (they did actually give me a hassle about it and asked all these questions about how my customer took care of them and on and on) I sent them in.... like OVER 2 weeks ago and NOTHING! Its just shows as received on the shipment tracking on the website. I emailed them last night since my customer has a BBQ this weekend for memorial day and now only has 4 knives! So i am going to lend him my set for the weekend if he doesnt get his set back.

Does anyone know how long it takes for customers to get their warranty items? I sent it in for him on May 2nd.

rusty knives...About our knives being stainless steel... Stainless comes in many grades that are determined by the amount of iron/steel in them. Depending on the grade some stainless will rust. As far as I know the only type that will never rust is surgical grade stainless. My husband has been a machinist for 30 years and that's how he explained it to me. HTH. :eek:

spoiledchef said:
Please explain how you can sharpen by going back and forth? It only goes in one way. I must be CONFUSED!!!!!

I'm assuming you just continue to squeeze the black trigger while pulling the knife out, then pushing it back in, then pulling it out...a few times. :)

cat said:
I'm assuming you just continue to squeeze the black trigger while pulling the knife out, then pushing it back in, then pulling it out...a few times. :)

Oh...duh! LoL....that's what I thought but wasn't sure.

About sharpening the knife by going back and forth. I was told that this will give you nicks in your blade. And it did happen to mine! I thought it was from people pressing the sharpening part while putting the knife in....maybe not. Has anyone else heard that?

I thought the use and care card said to never press the trigger while pushing the knife in, but maybe I am wrong. My knives are still very sharp and I hardly ever sharpen them. Maybe they are only sharp compared to the crappy knifes I used to have!! It sounds like HO is good about replacing, so what do you have to lose trying to sharpen both ways. Also I read something on here a few months ago about the knives not being rusty, but that it is iron oxide (maybe!?!?) that will come off with soft scrub. Whoever explained it went into detail about the science of it all an blew us away. I will try to find it somewhere!!

When I get spots on my knives, I just scrub with a little Bar Keepers Friend and they're as good as new.

rustHe tried that bar keepers too and still rust... BUT i just checked on his order and sure enough its finally shipped... well its been received from UPS... billing info received, or something like that. I still didnt get a reply back from my email though.

Oh well, If he doesnt get it by Friday, i will just loan him mine for his party. He is a really good customer of mine. He works with a lot of ladies and they LOVE PC! So i dont mind!

First of all...what is bar keepers and where do you get it? Has anyone told customer service that the stainless steel that they are using in the knives really isn't worth the price. I can get a good set of knives on TV that stay sharp and I can put in the dishwasher for a little more than I can pay for buying the 4 knives individually. This I can see might be a problem.

tina617 said:
I was having this problem too, but then I learned something new. I thought we were only suppose to squeeze and pull the knife out in one direction. I then observed an advanced director do a cooking show. She said that you can go back and forth. This seemed to make mine much sharper.

Tina

gilliandanielle said:
I thought the use and care card said to never press the trigger while pushing the knife in, but maybe I am wrong.

Now I'm confused! I did check the use and care card and it says to release the black trigger before putting the knife back (which is how I've always done it) So how do you go "back and forth?"

Perhaps the customer's cutting board is dulling their knives. If they're using those plastic or vinyl or wood type boards, they dull knives. Where ours don't.

I have both the new and the "vintage" self sharpen knives. :) The vintage ones are still sharp.

Kris

Time to sell that customer a good cutting board!

A good cross sell at our shows. If a person buys a knife we should encourage them to purchase a cutting board as well to protect their investment. :) Or have a show to add the cutting board. :)

Kris

I returned a set of knives that were purchase 14 years ago as a gift, so there was no receipt. I mailed them in and two weeks later the lady called me, thrilled to have her new set!

I am not crazy about our knives either. They don't stay sharp and I have had problem after problem with my sharpeners. I use my chopper, USG, and Quikut Paring Knifes for most everything. I do like the Serrated Bread Knife.

I just had a cusomer tell me that her knife came dull. I couldn't believe it, she said it wouldn't cut anything the first time she tried to use it. I was shocked, I know our knives aren't the best, but dull when it came.

jmedeiros said:
... So i called HO (they did actually give me a hassle about it and asked all these questions about how my customer took care of them and on and on) I sent them in....

I also had a host who's knife started rusting - when I called HO they had no problem exchanging it for her. She then called me a few weeks later and the new one started rusting, this time when I called HO they inquired a bit more. She does NOT leave them in the sink, put them in the dishwasher or put them back in the case wet/damp (she is a neat freak!) - they did send her a new one and we are waiting to see if it happens again. We thought it was because in our area we have really hard water - but I was told that doesn't make a difference. Someone told me or I read it depended on how much of whichever kind of metal the knives are made with is why they may rust.

Hoping this is something they improve upon for the f/w selling season - it would be a good guess with the June incentive and the high $ amount of new products.

Leea:cool:

Are you washing your sharpening cases? This will wreck the sharpener, This is what happened to mine. The use care card says do not emerge the case in water only wipe with a damp cloth. You can order a replacement case for your knives.

pamperedalf said:
I just had a cusomer tell me that her knife came dull. I couldn't believe it, she said it wouldn't cut anything the first time she tried to use it. I was shocked, I know our knives aren't the best, but dull when it came.

Same here!:( Got a call from her that she couldn't cut a tomato or something brand new! Altough I always use a serrated blade to cut my tomatos (find it easier) but maybe that's just me?

So she is exchangning it for a new one. Hope the 2nd knife is sharper for her!

1. Why are my knives dull?

There are a few potential reasons why your knives may be dull. It could be due to frequent use, improper storage, or using the wrong type of cutting board. It is also possible that the blades were not properly sharpened before they were purchased.

2. What is the built-in sharpener on my knives?

Many knives come with a built-in sharpener that is typically located on the bottom or back of the knife block. This sharpener is designed to hone and maintain the edge of the blade, but it is not a substitute for professional sharpening.

3. How do I use the built-in sharpener?

To use the built-in sharpener, simply run the blade of the knife through the slots several times, following the instructions provided by the manufacturer. It is important to note that this sharpener is only effective for maintaining the sharpness of the blade, not for sharpening dull knives.

4. Why are my knives still dull after using the built-in sharpener?

If your knives are still dull after using the built-in sharpener, it is possible that the blade is too damaged or dull to be effectively sharpened with the built-in sharpener. In this case, it is best to seek professional sharpening services to restore the sharpness of your knives.

5. What can I do to maintain the sharpness of my knives?

To maintain the sharpness of your knives, it is important to use a proper cutting board, such as wood or plastic, and to avoid cutting on hard surfaces like stone or glass. It is also recommended to hand wash and dry your knives instead of putting them in the dishwasher. Regularly honing the blade with the built-in sharpener or a honing steel can also help maintain sharpness.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• esavvymom
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
quiverfull7
Replies
Views
Jasmine
  • DebPC
  • General Chat
Replies