• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Fun and Educational Kids Cooking Classes for Ages 5-12 | $48/Month Fee

order more for their kids. I do a class for kids ages 5-8. My classes are usually booked up within a few weeks of being posted.I have had no issues with liability so far. I have had parents that have offered to order more for me and help me promote the class. I think it's a great idea!
peichef
I am toying with idea of offering kids cooking classes (once a week, in 3-4 wk sessions).
My idea was to have a fee of $48 / month (4 classes). At the end of each session (ie: after the 4 weeks), the kids would a PC tool to keep.
Has anyone on here done this before?
I am curious as to liability issues, appropriate age groupings, etc.

I had hoped to attach an ad for the classes to my Halloween goodies, but couldn't figure out all the logistics soon enough.

Any suggestions on how to run this....

bump!!
any advice --please:)

We just had Jan Gilbert here for a HO Visit and she talked about offering cooking classes. She suggested a class around the pie plate or trifle bowl. We can only charge for the price of the product being given though. We can't charge for the "class" because Pampered Chef doesn't charge for shows. If you do that, it makes it look like PC is charging for our shows and that's misrepresentation.

How you could do it is charge them the price of the product you are going to give them and hope that their parents will order more for them. I'm doing a Pie Class in November and the fee is $37. That is the price of the pie plate or springform pan plus shipping, tax and round-up.

You personally cannot take a "fee" for teaching the class from guests and represent PC at the same time. You can only take your commission.

If you do want to offer this personally, that's fine, but it cannot be associated with Pampered Chef. I do cooking classes a few times a year through my personal cheffing business... no mention of PC and nothing to do with it.

Colleen - what about the price of the ingredients that you will be working with?

Oh, and could you do a free cooking class with the purchase of x products?

Kid's cooking class
finley1991 said:
We just had Jan Gilbert here for a HO Visit and she talked about offering cooking classes. She suggested a class around the pie plate or trifle bowl. We can only charge for the price of the product being given though. We can't charge for the "class" because Pampered Chef doesn't charge for shows. If you do that, it makes it look like PC is charging for our shows and that's misrepresentation.

How you could do it is charge them the price of the product you are going to give them and hope that their parents will order more for them. I'm doing a Pie Class in November and the fee is $37. That is the price of the pie plate or springform pan plus shipping, tax and round-up.

You personally cannot take a "fee" for teaching the class from guests and represent PC at the same time. You can only take your commission.

If you do want to offer this personally, that's fine, but it cannot be associated with Pampered Chef. I do cooking classes a few times a year through my personal cheffing business... no mention of PC and nothing to do with it.

I have a homeschool Pampered Chef kid's cooking class where I charge for the kid friendly product of the month that we will be using in most of our recipes, plus the cost of food. I don't charge a fee for my time or for my tips or recipes. It's just to cover the tool and the food.
It's a huge success among the parents and the kids. And they see I am not trying to make a profit off of them except my commission. I never charge for my time.

Debbie :D

cmdtrgd said:
Colleen - what about the price of the ingredients that you will be working with?

I write them off on my taxes. And it's not that different for me because personally I bring all the food to my shows and don't charge my hosts for it. Personal preference.

cmdtrgd said:
Oh, and could you do a free cooking class with the purchase of x products?

Yes. All of our shows are free. That's what we have to keep in mind regardless of what we call them.

I wasn't necessarily thinking of offering the classes as PC cooking classes. I was going to submit an order for the product I'd give away.
My plan was to do basically what Debbie has done with her shows. i was hoping to give a product of about the value of the enrollment.
That would be okay, right?Debbie, I am worried about liability issues (accidents can happen). Do you have paretns sign a waiver? For what age group do you offer the classes?I was hoping to encourage parents to stay with the kids -- that might be too many people in the kitchen, though.

No liability
peichef said:
I wasn't necessarily thinking of offering the classes as PC cooking classes. I was going to submit an order for the product I'd give away.
My plan was to do basically what Debbie has done with her shows. i was hoping to give a product of about the value of the enrollment.
That would be okay, right?

Debbie, I am worried about liability issues (accidents can happen). Do you have paretns sign a waiver? For what age group do you offer the classes?

I was hoping to encourage parents to stay with the kids -- that might be too many people in the kitchen, though.

I really don't see any liability issues with this. I mean I make sure the kids are with me at all times doing what I tell them to do. We do everything step by step. If a tool that is sharp is going to be used (food chopper, apple wedger, etc) I make sure to let each kid use the tool one by one. Not all at once. I have had moms sit in my living room and chat while I do the class. They have been great and offered to help when I needed it, to pass out things or to help get things in the oven. I don't have a huge kitchen but it's not a small one either. We all fit fine. I encourage my parents to leave if they have to run errands or do other things away from their kids. As a fellow homeschooler, I can understand the need for that sometimes and it's not like I never have at least one parent here.
I have a stool and give each kid a turn flipping pancakes for one of our recipes last year, so no one is alone at the stove. No child was ever left unattended while doing the class. They were so in to it, that they paid close attention and did a great job!

For ages 6 - 12. There was an exception of a 5 year old girl who was very mature and was going to be six in a couple months anyway.

Thanks Debbie:) I was thinking of starting for age 5 or 6, but leaning toward 6. Wasn't sure of an upper cut-off age.
Now I have to market the classes....

I can help you with the liability issue. (My full time job is as an attorney...not as fun.) You need to provide reasonable care to the children for that age. That would mean everything you are doing...supervising, providing a safe environment, and explaining the project and how the tools work. The parents need to be made aware that the children may be using a sharp tool and that you will be supervising them. It is a good idea when using a more "dangerous" tool that one child uses it at a time with you next to them. Also, demonstrate the tool before allowing kids to do it so they know what to do and go over safety before starting at each lesson. Be prepared for the unexpected. It is foreseeable that a child will at some point have a minor cut.

I also do not recommend a waiver unless you know the proper language because that could hurt you more than help if not done properly. Finally, one of the reasons people have home owner's issurance is to help cover damages in lawsuits that occur on their property so don't worry and enjoy!!!

Note: This is a very brief summary and only take under advicement. The law is different in every state; it is many shades of grey.

Last edited:
PC Attorney
debensch said:
I can help you with the liability issue. (My full time job is as an attorney...not as fun.) You need to provide reasonable care to the children for that age. That would mean everything you are doing...supervising, providing a safe environment, and explaining the project and how the tools work. The parents need to be made aware that the children may be using a sharp tool and that you will be supervising them. It is a good idea when using a more "dangerous" tool that one child uses it at a time with you next to them. I also do not recommend a waiver unless you know the proper language because that could hurt you more than help if not done properly. Finally, one of the reasons people have home owner's issurance is to help cover damages in lawsuits that occur on their property so don't worry and enjoy!!!

OOOOOH!! A PC ATTORNEY!! Nice to meet you! Well you know now that you will be the legal advice person from now on right? LOL :p

Thanks for the info, I knew I was doing as much as reasonably possible to keep those kiddos safe.

Thanks for the legal advice -- and it was free, too!! (btw: I love your disclaimer at the bottom.:))I had planned on not using any "dangerous" tools, one on one or otherwise -- I'm super cautious, & I just wouldn't feel comfortable. I might venture as far the food chopper -- that's about it. But, still, accidents can & do happen.Good to know about the waiver, though. I guess I won't be asking parents to fill one out.Thanks again:)

What recipes do you do? I have someone interested right now. Her son is 12 & he wants to do some cooking. She is with a homeschool group that I just joined. I have thought about offering them to the entire group. She asked so I thought I would check into it.

1. What types of recipes will my child learn in the cooking classes?

Our cooking classes cover a variety of recipes including breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snack options. We also incorporate different cuisines from around the world to help expand your child's palate.

2. Are these classes suitable for children with dietary restrictions?

Yes, our classes can accommodate children with dietary restrictions. We offer alternative ingredients and substitutions for common allergens such as gluten, dairy, and nuts. Please let our instructors know about any dietary restrictions beforehand so we can make necessary accommodations.

3. Can parents attend the cooking classes with their child?

Due to limited space and to provide a fun and independent learning environment for the children, we ask that parents do not attend the cooking classes. However, parents are welcome to observe from a distance and can join in for a final taste-test at the end of the class.

4. What is the monthly fee for the kids cooking classes?

The monthly fee for our cooking classes is $48 per child. This fee covers all ingredients, materials, and instruction for each class.

5. How many children are in each cooking class?

We keep our class sizes small to ensure each child receives individual attention from our instructors. The maximum number of children in each class is 10.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• noelskitchen
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Humble Beginnings
Replies
Views
DeannaK1022
  • jillbean
  • Pampered Chef Booths
Replies