• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Kids Cooking Class Email: Looking for Guinea Pigs to Test New Show!

In summary, Becky is looking for moms to host a Kids Cooking Class for their kids, with the moms getting a special gift from the host. The format is to have the moms sit down with the kids and go over the show, followed by the kids making food and serving it to the moms.
ChefBeckyD
Gold Member
I have been absorbing lots of info about Kids Cooking Classes, and working on creating one that I am comfortable with doing.

One thing I knew was that I didn't want Mom's dropping off their kids and leaving. I want the Moms there too!

Anyway, I've mentioned it at my shows a few times, with no takers - and I knew I didn't want to do it at my house. Too much for me to be the consultant and host!

So - I sent out an email early this morning with the subject being "Looking For Some Guinea Pigs!"

So far, at 10:15am, I already have 3 bookings for this!:thumbup:

Here is the email I sent:

Hello!

I am looking for some Guinea Pigs to test a new show that I have been developing!
One thing that I hear alot when I am doing shows is that Moms wish their kids would/could eat healthier.

I have been gathering information, and recipes, and testing them out on my own personal little guinea pig, Micah!
I think I have come up with a really fun, exciting show format for Moms and Kids, to teach kids some kitchen safety and to give them some cooking skills. Along with this, some fun ideas for Moms in the kitchen to get their kids involved and excited about helping!

We all are eating at home more these days - so why not make it fun!?

I need to get the word out that I am offering this type of show - and I need 3-4 Moms who would be willing to host my first shows with this format. I thought about doing it first here at my house, but it's just too hard to be the host and the consultant at the same time!

IF you would be willing to be a Guinea Pig, and try this format with your friends and their kids - there are some special rewards in it for you! I will be providing all of the ingredients for my "charter" shows with this format, and I will also be giving my charter hosts a special gift!

Please email me if you would be interested in helping me out with this - and if you can't, but this sounds like a fun idea - then please pass on this info to someone who you think might enjoy helping!

Thanks! I am excited about rolling this out - I'd love to work with you!

That's great, Becky! Sounds fun!

Way to go Becky!

Up to 4 bookings!

The best news is that 3 of the 4 are with people who have never hosted before!

ChefBeckyD said:
Up to 4 bookings!

The best news is that 3 of the 4 are with people who have never hosted before!

That is awesome Becky. You are an inspiration to all of us!

That is soo interesting. I need such help with creative ideas, this one sounds great!! What is going to be your format? Please give me some ideas as I would love to this type of show.

I would love to hear your format. It sounds like a great idea!

RossDeb2 said:
I would love to hear your format. It sounds like a great idea!

me too! Are you going to have them pre-buy products to use? What are you thinking about fixing?

I'll post my whole format if they work!:D

My plan though is to have the Moms and kids sit together for a few minutes at the beginning of the show to go over the format for the show and show them some of the tools we'll be using, and then hand the moms guest folders - and have them retire to another room with an appetizer or dessert.

Then, the kids and I will gather around the table and have some fun making Crunchy Whole Grain Chicken Bites w/ the carrot and celery slaw, and Yogurt Sundaes. Then, the kids can serve the moms a sample of what they made, eat some themselves - and then, have the kids color a picture for their drawing for a free product (my first knife, or some other safe kids product) while I go over some tips with the moms and close the show with them....

I don't think I'm going to do a pre-buy. I just could never figure a way that I was comfortable doing it. I think I want to just run it the way I would a regular show.

I'm designing a special invite on Vista right now, when I get it done, I'll post it.

You are good Becky!

And, I will totally steal this from you......so hurry up and do that invite girlfriend!

I have done a lot of kids shows. I like to make Mrs. Field's size sugar cookies and let the kids use the apple peeler and make their own taffy apple pizzas (you have to make sure no one is allergic to peanuts). My main rule is that each kid has an adult present--no exceptions. Not only because the parents do the buying but because of safety reasons. Have fun with this!

Oooh, I can't wait to hear your results. This could be an excellent way to kick start the spring season! New season, new shows! I'm going to steal it from you, too! It's too good to pass up! Thanks for sharing, Becky!

Becky - how did this work out for you?

Yes, i would also like to know how this went!!
I actually used your "Letter" when I first saw it and sent out the same thing (Hope you don't mind)

As a result I have 2 kids shows coming up, one this Sunday and another the following Saturday.

:D

Don't mind at all if you use it - that's why we post these things, right? To help each other out!:D

My first one was supposed to be this afternoon. However, because of this week with my Mom, and having some things that I still had to get done today for her, I ended up rescheduling it for the 17th. Thankfully, it was with a really good friend (and awesome past host!) and she was understanding and supportive.

So - my first one is Saturday at 11am. I'm really looking forward to it, and I'll let you know how it goes, for sure!

Good luck Becky! Let us know the outcome....If this goes well for you, I will think I will have to "borrow it" like I did your Power cooking clinic! ;)

Becky, you are so cool !!! I sent this email out a couple of hours ago and already have 2 people interested in doing this kind of show!

Now, advise me, please, what kind of recipes you were going to see anmd what you were going to say about healthy eating!

Please post any documents you have.

Trish in Texas
Independent Consultant

Becky, Very creative!!! What a cool idea. Hey, try mini vegetable quiche, Mom's can help cut (or you can use pre-cut) the vege's. The kids can use the various whips to scramble the eggs and if you use pre made pie crusts they can cut out the shapes and put them in the mini muffin pan. It's quick, easy, and fun to make! This gives everyone hands on the products, Mom is there for safety (and control) and you can just guide them through to a tasty little treat! This works with instant pudding and pie crusts too! Tons of variations.

Best of luck! I can't wait to hear how successful you are!

I love this idea! I can't wait to hear how it goes. Good luck with this. You could almost do this for Birthday parties.

Everyone has great ideas! I have several ones scheduled for March. We will make the Tic-Tac-Toe Pizza and Garden Fish.

Garden Fish is a way to get kids to eat more veggies. My husband's mother used to make these all the time for her kids. Take a zucchini squash, cut long-wise so it looks like fish. Roll in cornmeal; dust with salt and pepper. Then cook on stove-top (or you could put them in the oven). Voila: a vegetable you probably couldn't get the kids to eat otherwise!

What healthy tips will you give the moms?

Trish in Texas
Independent Consultant

Okay! I went directly from my show today to a surprise 40th B-day party for a good friend, and just got home - but I had to tell you all that the party was a success! A bit chaotic, being my first one, but it was FUN!

We made Crunchy Whole Grain Chicken Bites (from 29 Minutes, Vol 1) and then while those were in the oven, we made Mini Fruit Pizzas. The kids (there were 5 there, all boys!) had so much fun with those.

The Chicken bites - I had the chips in ziploc sandwich bags, and they each crushed their own with the meat tenderizer. Then we added some garlic-parmesan cheese to the chips and shook it up. I had the chicken tenders sitting in the egg mixture, and I used the small tongs and added a few to each kids bag - then they shook that all up to coat the chicken. (I let them all wear a glove at this point) then they put them on the bar pan and we popped them in the oven.

Then, I had sugar cookies baked, and they used spreaders to spread strawberry cream cheese on them - and then I let them loose to create their masterpieces. I had strawberries, bananas, and grapes, along with My First Cutters(2), crinkle cutters(2), egg slicers(2). This was a HUGE hit!

So, while they did that - I talked to the Moms. There were only 4 moms (plus the host) but they had fun too! I passed the dipping oils w/ bread chunks, and a collapsible bowl. I sold 3 bowls, and 4 dipping seasonings. All in all - with 4 orders - it's at $200, and another booking!

So - for my first show like this, it went very well. I'm pleased.

Here is the handout I gave to everyone. I found it on here and made it my own.:D My friend Vicki (who was supposed to host my first Kids Show, but I rescheduled) is making it prettier for me, with a nice cover page, etc....but here it is for right now:

Attachments

• cooking with kids tips hints and recipes.doc
    78 KB · Views: 881
Thanks Becky for a great idea! I too sent your letter out and I have 5 on the schedule for April and May. My 14 year old has had fun helping me think of ways to do the Kids Show and she pulled out our old PC Let's Eat! Kids Cookbook and it has a page on Be Safe, Measure up & kids cooking dictionary. I thought I would use all of these throughout the show with the kids to teach them all the fun tips we learned when we were beginner cooks! I may make a little hand out for them to take home too. I found a fun picture of a chef for them to color under image google. I am curious how your 1st show went. Be sure to share with us. :chef:

OK- I feel silly! I have only posted on Chef Success twice and I see there was two pages of this post. I did not see Becky's show results and format on the second page before I sent my post. So you all are most likely thinking I am strange for asking her to send us her results of the show when she did!! Oops! :(

I love doing Kids-in-the-Kitchen. I was suppose to have one this past Friday morning, but unfortunately, the mom's son had a medical emergency. We've rescheduled for April.

I like your ideas Becky. Thank you for sharing.

Thanks for the idea Becky - I had a fundraiser on Saturday so I mentioned that I could do a kids party and got 2 bookings. Just a note - these are both Birthday parties. The moms said they would send out the invites and instead of bringing a gift her daughter will get the host benefits and the guest can order their favorite PC products. I will let you know how that works - THanks for all the great ideas:chef:

I did a birthday party in February. I didn't get any sales, but I wasn't expecting any, as I had the main focus on the birthday girl (which I felt was more important). I had products displayed, catalogs and got a couple contacts (which is what I expected).

I did come up with package ideas for birthday parties (which, if you would like to look at, let me know). I looked at it, and approached it as, I was the entertainment.

The kids had a blast and the parents were happy.

Newatthis, I can't wait to hear how yours goes.

nikki~mouse said:
I did a birthday party in February. I didn't get any sales, but I wasn't expecting any, as I had the main focus on the birthday girl (which I felt was more important). I had products displayed, catalogs and got a couple contacts (which is what I expected).

I did come up with package ideas for birthday parties (which, if you would like to look at, let me know). I looked at it, and approached it as, I was the entertainment.

The kids had a blast and the parents were happy.

Newatthis, I can't wait to hear how yours goes.

I'm not sure I would do any type of show unless I knew I was going to get paid. Too busy to be free entertainment!

I love to see your birthday packages - but I am like Becky, I expect sales. Thanks Jodi

Thanks for sharing your results Becky! Tell us how your 2nd one goes! :) I will toss this idea around maybe for summer (when kids are out of school)?! ;)

Becky--Thanks so much for sharing this!! I borrowed your email and sent it out just today and now have 3 Kids in the Kitchen shows scheduled for April!!! Thanks again!!!:)

I am so glad that others are having the same success with booking these parties!

My 2nd one is tomorrow (this was supposed to be my first, but was rescheduled) and the host and I are both glad that we did reschedule!

She has more people who are RSVP'ing for this one - right now, we are at 8 adults and 11 children! And a couple maybes....this should be fun!

Can't wait to hear how your show goes tomorrow Becky!! :)

Question for you: What are you using for invitations? Thanks!!

abaker1 said:
Can't wait to hear how your show goes tomorrow Becky!! :)

Question for you: What are you using for invitations? Thanks!!

Here is my invitation that I made at Vistaprint. I couldn't find a cooking one for kids that I liked - so I just used a fun kid-themed one.

http://www.vistaprint.com/vp/ns/my_account/doc_view.aspx?doc_id=718030860&xnav=MyAccount&fsp=yes&r=http%3a%2f%2fwww.vistaprint.com%2fvp%2fns%2fmy_account%2fmy_portfolio.aspx%3fxnav%3dRCH_DIP

http://www.vistaprint.com/vp/ns/my_account/doc_view.aspx?doc_id=718030860&xnav=MyAccount&fsp=yes&r=http%3a%2f%2fwww.vistaprint.com%2fvp%2fns%2fmy_account%2fmy_portfolio.aspx%3fxnav%3dRCH_DIP

Here is the invite I made at Vistaprint:
livepreview_002.jpg
livepreview.jpg

Becky~I love the invites. Those are cute. I made mine using Publisher. They didn't turn out as nice as those.

For those of you who would like to see my birthday party packages, here they are.

View attachment BIRTHDAY PARTY PACKAGES for website dowload.doc

Also, I charge $50 for my services. It covers food, gas, invites (if I do them, which, as I said, I try to do). I do need to go back through the prices I have listed. I may have done the wrong shipping cost.

Nikki :D

nikki~mouse said:
Becky~I love the invites. Those are cute. I made mine using Publisher. They didn't turn out as nice as those.

For those of you who would like to see my birthday party packages, here they are.

View attachment 13674

Also, I charge $50 for my services. It covers food, gas, invites (if I do them, which, as I said, I try to do). I do need to go back through the prices I have listed. I may have done the wrong shipping cost.

Nikki :D

About how many kids did that $50 cover do you think and was that one recipe? I've got a friend who's son turns 5 in April. My brain is whirling about presenting this idea to her. She's been helping another family out who's dad is in the hospital with cancer- so she hasn't been able to do anything for her son's birthday party (she does one yearly). But her parties usually have 15-20 kids easy! I've never done a kids thing before (I've barely done adults!), so not sure if that would be too much, but I'd know about 1/3 of the kids and they'd be 5+ in age.

I was thinking of starting a Kids theme show- I have a booth at a Kids sale next week and thought this would be a good pitch! From all of your results, I'm thinking it might!

There were about 12 children there. They were 4. We made personal pizzas using the cut-n-seal (we didn't seal the pizzas). I had the children shred their own cheese using the mandolin as well. The mom had some friends lend her the older mandolin and they didn't work as well as the current one. I did have 3 cut-n-seals, so no one was waiting too long to use it.

The party wasn't long. It was only 2hrs, so I only did one recipe. If the party is longer, I would have suggested doing a dessert as well.

Sorry I couldnt get it to work on photo bucket - but this should give you a pretty good look at it.

Attachments

• Back Side fajita.doc
    51.5 KB · Views: 390
  • Front Side fajita.doc
    36.5 KB · Views: 369
This has got my brain moving! I love the idea and can't wait to try it out! Any age limits??? I have an 18-month old but I think Dad would need to be there if I host the show as well.

So, my show today wasn't so great. It was total chaos, in fact.

No one was there on time - we ended up starting about 40 minutes late. Then, parents kept coming and going - taking kids to practices, etc...and coming back with other kids. At one point there were 11 little boys there. Oh - and babies and toddlers too.

I never even got a chance to do my spiel with the Moms, they were either chasing little ones or coming and going. At the end, 3 of them sat down with catalogs, but only one actually placed her $25 order.

Oh well, live and learn!

"Thinking out loud" I was thinking of doing a "Mother Day Show" for Dad and kids... maybe where the Dad's and Kids can come and learn to make a meal for mom (maybe breakfast in bed). Offer a small item for the child - for a price. Then offer gift cert., and have the catalogs for them to order something for mom. Dad's will be there to learn the meal, and pay for any gifts for mom.... thoughts???

I want more info too!!!!!!! I am looking for fresh ideas and want to do these kinds of shows. I also just got the cookie press and it works great, my kids and I made cookies last night and it was easy. With easter coming, you could have cookie parties!

Evening, ya'll :D

I have a booth tomorrow at a Kids' Consignment sale, so I thought I should try to have "kid friendly" items. I didn't want to put them on display (very small space), so I thought I'd do a flyer. I started to type something up- then came on here to see if someone did one...and of COURSE someone put together something great.

I did some editing to change out a few items that we don't have any more- or that might be on the OUTLET, but those can be easily removed. I removed any contact info and left a blank text box at the bottom you could use- or you could just stamp/slap a label on it if you wanted. I won't have time to do any other edits other than what I did- at least not for a week or more.

Hope it comes in handy for someone! :balloon:

Attachments

• KID FRIENDLY TOOLS FROM THE PAMPERED CHEF.doc
    106.5 KB · Views: 593
Thanks so much Becky for posting your invite! I didn't have time for Vista Print, but just used your wording and did up an invite in Publisher! THANK YOU!!
So do you have any tips or words of wisdom that you've learned since you now have a couple of these shows done?? The interest in this show format is amazing!!! :)

Also thanks to esavvymom for posting the flyer!!! It looks great!!:)

I'm attaching the invite I did in publisher... I also printed the hosts address on the back side along with a little note saying "Bring a friend, and their parent, and you'll get a gift!" (borrowed from Becky's invite) :)

Attachments

• Kids in the Kitchen invite--no name.pub
    68.5 KB · Views: 570
Thanks Becky for such a wonderful idea. I sent an email to my daughters teacher so maybe we can get something in the works there. It would be great to do it at her class(pre K) and maybe be able to send something home like the recipies they made that day with my info on the back

Oh my gosh no lie I sent out an email to my contacts of the one you did. 10 mins later i have a show booked SUPER!! ok but now i need help lol... She wants to due it with her older daughter about 13yrs old and her friends any suggestions would be super helpfull
THANKS BECKY!

headinclouds25 said:
Oh my gosh no lie I sent out an email to my contacts of the one you did. 10 mins later i have a show booked SUPER!! ok but now i need help lol... She wants to due it with her older daughter about 13yrs old and her friends any suggestions would be super helpfull
THANKS BECKY!
LOL - you're so welcome, but I didn't originate the idea...I just took what other people were doing and capitalized on it - same as you! I'm glad it's working for you!

That is such a great idea and I just bought the kid cookbook and some cooking supplies I can use for it. I went and sent out a slightly updated version of your email, hope you don't mind, just a few minutes ago. Can't wait to see the results!

Woooooo hooooooooooooooooSent this out to a few customers/friends and I already have 2 bookings for it! Thanks so much for sharing!!! My May had NOTHING and now I have 2!!!! in 20 minutes.

I tried to have a "Kids can cook show" during spring break....I got sick and had to cancel. :eek:

My format was not healthy eating sadly:blushing:.....I was going to use the cut n seal for pb&j sandwiches and ham & cheese. I was going to let the older kids use the chopper to make toppings for their frozen yogurt and another chopper for fruit salad. I was going to let the kids use the chilled large bar pan (one child on each side) and nylon scrapers to mix in the toppings....kind of like they do at the ice cream shop.

Then we were going to use the easy accent decorator to put cool whip in the berry wonton cups. = )

I'm hoping to have the show closer to summer.....

Becky,
I thought I read somewhere how your show went, but now I cant seem to find it. Is it in this post of somewhere else. Sorry...blonde moment!

H2: What is the purpose of the email?<p>The purpose of the email is to find 3-4 Moms who would be willing to host the consultant's new kids cooking class format and help her test it out.</p>H2: Why does the consultant want Moms to be present at the cooking class?<p>The consultant wants Moms to be present at the cooking class because she believes that involving kids in the kitchen can help them develop healthier eating habits. The class will also teach kitchen safety and provide fun ideas for Moms to get their kids involved in cooking at home.</p>H2: What will the consultant provide for the first shows with the new format?<p>The consultant will provide all of the ingredients for the "charter" shows with the new format, as well as a special gift for the charter hosts.</p>H2: How can someone become a "Guinea Pig" for the new cooking class format?<p>To become a "Guinea Pig," someone can email the consultant expressing their interest in hosting the new format with their friends and their kids. If they are unable to host, they can also pass on the information to someone who might be interested in helping.</p>H2: What is the consultant's goal for this new show format?<p>The consultant's goal is to make cooking fun for kids and to help families eat healthier by involving kids in the kitchen. She is excited about rolling out this new format and is looking forward to working with interested hosts.</p>
H2: What is the purpose of the email?

The purpose of the email is to find 3-4 Moms who would be willing to host the consultant's new kids cooking class format and help her test it out.

H2: Why does the consultant want Moms to be present at the cooking class?

The consultant wants Moms to be present at the cooking class because she believes that involving kids in the kitchen can help them develop healthier eating habits. The class will also teach kitchen safety and provide fun ideas for Moms to get their kids involved in cooking at home.

H2: What will the consultant provide for the first shows with the new format?

The consultant will provide all of the ingredients for the "charter" shows with the new format, as well as a special gift for the charter hosts.

H2: How can someone become a "Guinea Pig" for the new cooking class format?

To become a "Guinea Pig," someone can email the consultant expressing their interest in hosting the new format with their friends and their kids. If they are unable to host, they can also pass on the information to someone who might be interested in helping.

H2: What is the consultant's goal for this new show format?

The consultant's goal is to make cooking fun for kids and to help families eat healthier by involving kids in the kitchen. She is excited about rolling out this new format and is looking forward to working with interested hosts.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
stacywhitlow
  • tys1031
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
Adrian
  • pampered1224
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies