• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Tips for Handling Kids at a Cooking Show

In summary, this hostess tried to include her kids in the show and it worked out well. She gave her kids a job and they helped her get the show done.
emiscookin
Hey everyone~

I needed some advice and tips on how to handle children at a cooking show. I understand that some people just don't have a choice and have to bring their kids along.

With my last home business (which SUCKED!) I did one party where 3 kids were present, all under the age of 4. They kept crawling around, distracting their mothers and other people so no one was listening to me, and some of them came up and kept wanting to touch what I had on display. Don't get me wrong, I love kids but...they were really annoying me!! Plus I worry that no matter how nicely I ask a child not to touch anything, some mother will get offended by it. If they are being loud, it's like I want to "shhh" them on impulse and I KNOW that offends mothers sometimes.

(Personally, I am SICK of people getting SO offended these days!!! :grumpy:)

But anyway, I would appreciate any tips or advice you may have or how you handled a similar situation. I love this site! I get such great encouragement from all of you as I begin this business! :)

I try to encourage my hosts to DISCOURAGE their guests from bringing walking/crawling children with them by telling them how much more their guests will enjoy a show if they are not having to focus on their own or someone else's child. And they don't want any of their guests who did get a sitter so they could enjoy a night out to be upset by others who brought their kids.

That being said I don't tell people they can't have kids at their shows but if there are children at the show I make it a point at the beginning to politely ask that parents please keep a hand on your kids because I am going to be moving through a lot of products very quickly and we are dealing with food. We don't want little hands in food that we are preparing and we also don't want to risk an injury from a little hand grabbing a sharp tool.

I just make it about the kids safety if they are there and about the guests enjoyment when I am host coaching.

emiscookin said:
(Personally, I am SICK of people getting SO offended these days!!! :grumpy:)

Ain't that the truth! LOL

I just did a show where the hostess had all three of her children there... boys ages 5 though 9... they all wanted to touch and play with EVERYTHING! Not to mention the dog that kept putting her nose in all my bags. Don't get me wrong I love dogs and love MY kids...

After I finished setting up I had the boys help me in the kitchen. I had them wash their hands and help me put raspberries and almonds on the skillet cake and they were amazed with the 30 minute chicken. They named the chicken "Fatty" and picked which rub we were going to use. Then they stood there watching it in the microwave.

Luckily the dad took them elsewhere during the actual show... but they were there when I was packing up... doing the same thing. LOL

When possible, I try to include the kids in the demos. This way:
1) They only touch the tools I approve
2) It helps the parents relax, because they're not worried about the children "bugging" me
3) It encourages the parents to be more involved in the demo
4) It encourages the parents to buy tools, because they realize the children can start helping them in the kitchen!
5) Kids say and do the darndest things, and having them involved often makes the show more fun, or at least funnier!The show I did this past Friday, the little girl learned quickly she was not to touch the HWC Martini Glasses, but did make me a delicious pretend salad and chocolate cake using the Bamboo Spoons and Bamboo Snack Bowls. This was all while we were setting up. Once the show started she went off with the other kids and watched a video, understanding the show itself was for the grown-ups.

I always try to include the kids. If we're playing a game, I make sure to ask the kids if they want to play and give them a catalog. I do a form of the ticket game, so sometimes I'll ask the kids to be my helpers and hand out the tickets to the people who win them. I actually had my "kid-handling strategy" pay off last week! There was an 8-year-old little girl at the show, and I made sure that she was included (and actually just kind of treated her like an adult!). At the end of the show when I talked about booking a party, I saw her whispering to her mom. It turns out that they had been to 3 parties ALREADY in the past two months, but the little girl told her mom to book a show with ME because I was so much fun! That little bit of attention really paid off for me! I know it can be a hastle and it's hard when you're trying to set up and cook and kids are everywhere, but if you take a minute to direct the kids to do a specific thing, it might just pay off.

I have only had a few shows where children were present. But, when the situation has arisen, I include them. How they are included, depends on the age(s), of course. If it's the host's young children, then I have them help me set up, etc.

If any child helped before, during or after the show, then I make sure to ask their names and introduce myself to them. Then, when I get home, I send a hand written thank you note addressed specifically to them. Each time I have done this, I have received a call from the Mom telling me how excited their child was to receive their own letter! One host told me her 4-year old niece (who lives in the same house) had her grandmother read the note over and over again. The little girl keeps the note on her dresser. I made a little girl's day with a quick little note and THAT meant so much to me:) And, I likely have now have a host for life.

Another idea would be....prebake some sugar cookies and have the children use the Decorator Bottle Set, My Safe Cutter, Spreader, etc. to frost their own cookies. You could even have brownies made in the Mini Muffin Pan and make a well in them for the kids to fill with frosting. You could also set up an "art station" using the Tool Turn About filled with art supplies. Have pictures for the kids to color and plain paper for them to make pictures of their own. There are recipes on here for homemade play doh that isn't messy. Make it using different colors and have them play with that using the Garlic Press, My Safe Cutter, Cutting Boards, Bakers Roller, Creative Cutters Set, etc. Have fun!!!

I had a show last month ... 6 adults and 11 kids (all under the age of 5), and it was in a very small apartment. Show went ok .. It was very difficult to talk above all the noise, so I focused on my demo.

Lock them in a closet:D:DJust kiddin!!!

Lots of times parents will have a different room away from the party for the kids to play. Sometimes you can "employ" a guest's older child to watch them in another part of the house.

Yesterday I had an 8 year old that was so cute, but Mom had chosen 2 wrap recipes which meant washing and preparing almost every vegetable know to man!!! By the time I got the wraps together it was getting late. The daughter wanted to help and was quietly asking me but I had to tell her that I couldn't because I was in a hurry. Besides, I bring the Forged Cutlery and just envision a little one accidentally cutting themself.:( She got bored and left the party for grampa's!:(

Usually if I see them start to handle products I try to nicely tell them to be very careful that I have many sharp items that may hurt them...usually I make sure Mom hears it and that is enough for Moms to get the hint.

Love how you all incorporate them into the party. I will have to work on that as well if the opportunity arises.

pattikake said:
I had a show last month ... 6 adults and 11 kids (all under the age of 5), and it was in a very small apartment. Show went ok .. It was very difficult to talk above all the noise, so I focused on my demo.

Wow. That must have been challenging. ;) But I am sure you handled it like a pro. I hope you don't mind me asking, but were you able to make any sales?

Thanks for all the advice everyone!! :D Once again, I LOVE this site!

I inform the kids. that they stick around they do the show for me..
so far the only ones that have stuck around are teens (13/14 year olds.)
so they did the cooking demo..
the one time the teen had never fixed anything in the kichen.. at the 2nd show I did that she was at, she volunteered when she got there to do the cooking.. Her mother told me she's wanting to learn to cook now. (she also talked her mom into what she wanted for in the kitchen... :)

The few shows where kids have been there, getting them involved really paid off. If the kid is over 8 (and mom approves), I have them use the mandolin or the chopper and they have a lot of fun with it!Younger kids have always been in another room, but you can tell the moms have one ear listening to that room. I love the idea of a coloring table or decorating cookies!

I sometime have kids underfoot, standing next to me, giving me no room to work. I get them involved, I have them tag team with their mom, so Mom and child are up at the table and they demo the tool, I tell them if they would like to try it their parent must try it too. Also I have them help by handing out pens, catalogs and passing around tools for guest to look at, I even keep a kids apron and kids hat available if I know if there will be children and have them wear it, makes them feel important and not only that, I always get bookings because I showed them that this is what it is all about, getting the family involved together in the kitchen, spending more time around the kitchen table.
I have repeat bookings and I even had a 13 yr old boy come and sat across from me at my checkout station and he ordered a tool from his mother's show. In turn he was learning not only how to cook but also learning how to manage his money!

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I never know about kids being there or not until I arrive. It's not something I discuss with my hosts. I've only had 2 shows where kids were around, but when the show started, the mom had them go into another room.The cookie decorating idea is nice, but I wouldn't be prepared for that. That sounds like a lot of extra work. :D ;)

wingsey1 said:
I have repeat bookings and I even had a 13 yr old boy come and sat across from me at my checkout station and he ordered a tool from his mother's show. In turn he was learning not only how to cook but also learning how to manage his money!

Now that is awesome! :)

babywings76 said:
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I never know about kids being there or not until I arrive. It's not something I discuss with my hosts. I've only had 2 shows where kids were around, but when the show started, the mom had them go into another room.

The cookie decorating idea is nice, but I wouldn't be prepared for that. That sounds like a lot of extra work. :D ;)

I rarely know if kids will be there either--I'm so used to kids around all day long (take care of 3 grandsons) nothing bothers me--I guess they have just helped prepare me for the shows. Frankly, I haven't found the kids more distracting and talking than some of the adults. Safety, of course, is the key issue. I feel that some of the moms that come with kids, it is probably the only way they can come. If I go out of my way to be nice to them, I believe I have a guest willing to spend more.

I had a show on Saturday with lots of small children present. The house was small, and kids were everywhere!!
The main one who was distracted, was, well, me!! lol
Sales were OK, not great. They were mostly related to each other, so they didn't think anything of bringing the children over; in fact, the host's two daughters each lived across the street and next door, and both had kids...to tell you the truth, I don't even know how many kids were there!!
I ended up showing very little products, just got the food ready and pretty much "eased" my way out of the house!! In fact, the show was at 4, and I was gone by 6! (And that NEVER happens!!)
Now, daughter is booking a show for July, and, I gotta admit, I wish I could find a way to ask her to not have all these kids at her show....any ideas? Definitely don't want to offend anyone, and these people are low income, so I don't think they'd be wanting to hire sitters, so I may just have to deal with it....
Here's the other problem. I think the attendance is suffering for it. I mean, I don't see too many of their friends showing up, and they don't know why!! I think it's because of the kids!!
Any suggestions?
Thanks!

debbie mc said:
If any child helped before, during or after the show, then I make sure to ask their names and introduce myself to them. Then, when I get home, I send a hand written thank you note addressed specifically to them. Each time I have done this, I have received a call from the Mom telling me how excited their child was to receive their own letter! One host told me her 4-year old niece (who lives in the same house) had her grandmother read the note over and over again. The little girl keeps the note on her dresser. I made a little girl's day with a quick little note and THAT meant so much to me:) And, I likely have now have a host for life.

LOVE that idea...do you also send a note to your hosts? I've never thought of something like this before!

I did a show once where the host was a teacher and knew that all of her friends had kids.... she actually hired a few (two) of her high school students to come and babysit the group. Because of this ALL of her friends came! There were 20 women there, and almost all of them had kids!
What I found was because the host offered this, and probably spent $30 or $40 of her own money to pay the sitters, she had a fantastic show! She ended up earning $240 in free products plus the half-priced items. Now, I am not trying to imply that everyone can exchange that kind of cash for free product, some folks just don't have the money, but it did work really well in this case.
The moms felt they could come, the kids had fun, and the host had a great show. Me? Well it was mayhem at best, but I'll take it for a successful show, right?

I put the kids to work! They are always so eager to help and get their hands on the tools. Give them jobs and they are almost always very diligent in getting them done! I have them hand out catalogs and pens. I have them hand out tickets and draw the winning number. They also hold onto the stainless bowl that I put the door prizes into. When it comes to recipe preparation, I tell everyone up front that I welcome the participation of children as this is the perfect time to teach them to cook. HOWEVER, if the kids want to use the tools, the parent has to use the tools with them. I have sold many food choppers and mandolines this way. It's amazing how many kids will convince their parent to purchase something so that they can be a good helper! At the end of the demonstration, I have everyone applaud them for their help and congratulate them on being a future chef.Of course, not all kids are nice and eager. Some are just downright rude and grabby. That's when I say, "mom, your child obviously wants to help in the kitchen! How about you come up and show him/her how easy it is to use this tool!" 9 out of 10 times, the mom will come up. The other percentage, the mom tells her child to go sit down or go into the other room. :)

I had 2 eager helpers Friday night. One was about 10 years old and she was anxious to do anything I asked. She loved the MFP! And, a little one, only about 4 years old was able to do the MFP too. She loved it too! I was very sure to be right there and make sure it stayed steady on the table while she was doing it.

I understand your comments, and I totally agree, if the child is old enough to help. My problem was, there were lots of "soon-to-be preschoolers" at the show, as in one and two years old!! WAAYY too young to help. Just lots of running around, occasionally hitting each other sort of stuff....sigh...

Those are the ones that God created Barney for! Are we going to have to start packing a DVD to take with us? ;)

The new Tie-its do a great job of restraining small children to the kitchen chair.

(Just kidding ;) )

LOL! That's a great selling point, PamperedchefDaly!

PamperedchefDaly said:
The new Tie-its do a great job of restraining small children to the kitchen chair.

(Just kidding ;) )

Love it!!!!

You are all too cute!!

I guess that what I really want, is a nice, polite way of telling the hosts that we shouldn't be having children under the age of about 5 at a show, since there are so many of them....
I definitely don't want to offend them, but I really think it is keeping potential guests away, who don't want to be bombarded like that...kwim??
Thanks so much!!

I have a dozen coloring sheets of cooking that I keep in my folder in my kit. People with kids always have crayons. I ask them to help if they are of that age, otherwise they make me a picture to hang on my fridge at home. I love the thank you note idea.

On another side, I have had huge success have a kids show too. It involved decorating cookies and making cut n seal sandwiches. Parents ordered lots of non kid stuff and loved the fact that they had some entertainment for the kids.

PamperedchefDaly said:

(Just kidding ;) )

I keep wishing they were like just an inch longer :)!!
(KIDDING!!!)

Paula R. Lewis said:
You are all too cute!!

I guess that what I really want, is a nice, polite way of telling the hosts that we shouldn't be having children under the age of about 5 at a show, since there are so many of them....
I definitely don't want to offend them, but I really think it is keeping potential guests away, who don't want to be bombarded like that...kwim??
Thanks so much!!

I think the general consensus would be that you really can't really ask the host to not have kids at the show. Obviously you CAN ask, but should you? The show isn't about YOU, it's about the host and her guests. It's a tough road to walk and not offend someone. Better to be prepared for the event that MIGHT have kids. I wouldn't advertise that it is "ok". Most people DON'T bring their kids, but those that do, probably have no other choices. They either go with the kids, or they can't go at all. Having an option for the kids to stay busy- (color/activity sheets are easy to pack and always have on hand). Or if you know it's a group that has kids, maybe you can ask if they have a teenager they know that collectively they might want to hire to keep the kids entertained while the mom's relax during the show for an hour.

I love the thank you note idea and bringing coloring pages with :)

I agree, I put the kids to work. If I have a 3 yo reaching up to the counter, I hand them a bamboo spoon and a plastic measuring cup to play with. If they are a little older 5-10 yo range, I get them involved, and agree, I feel like it helps their mom's sales, of course that isn't why I do it, just a perk. I had one a couple of weeks ago and the hostess' 3 kids were there. I think her hubby was supposed to take them, but then bailed on her at the last minute.
Elicit their help if you can. Give them a twixit clip or something small as a thank you. They're so excited to get to keep something, and if they are happy, mom is happy, and everything goes much smoother. If someone uses the excuse of not helping b/c of their baby, I go grab that baby and get my baby fix, and let mom get involved. I am a homeschooling mom of 3, so I am used to kids being around all of the time and just having to make the best of it.
You could make yourself crazy focusing on it only being for adults, but it wouldn't do any good. Mom's first priority is her family, not your PC party. Thank her for coming, make her feel special and call her for her order or to book if she has to leave b/c her LO is crying b/c it is past their bedtime.

My daughter is 13, I pay her $50 a month to help me with my business. That includes stamping catalogs, making host packets, attending fairs with me AND..... coming to shows to entertain kids while I am working. host love it and she is making contacts for babysitting jobs. The $50 is deductible off your taxes as long as it is under $600 so you have to officially give $49 one month and for my daughter I love watching her at fairs as she talks about the products to adults. It is a good skill for her and gives us time to be together and I am not just handing her money, she is earning it. (she doesn't spend it as easily as when I just give it to her.)

Originally Posted by PamperedchefDaly

(Just kidding )

Thanks for the laugh. I needed it today!

Be proactive. Bring coloring books or a coloring picture of a chef and hold a coloring contest - tell them the best one you pick gets to have dessert first.

I love the coloring contest idea.. going to be using that one!

scottcooks said:
Be proactive. Bring coloring books or a coloring picture of a chef and hold a coloring contest - tell them the best one you pick gets to have dessert first.

Great idea!

lkhartmann said:
My daughter is 13, I pay her $50 a month to help me with my business. That includes stamping catalogs, making host packets, attending fairs with me AND..... coming to shows to entertain kids while I am working. host love it and she is making contacts for babysitting jobs. The $50 is deductible off your taxes as long as it is under $600 so you have to officially give $49 one month and for my daughter I love watching her at fairs as she talks about the products to adults. It is a good skill for her and gives us time to be together and I am not just handing her money, she is earning it. (she doesn't spend it as easily as when I just give it to her.)

I love this idea. I'm going to see if my soon to be 15 year old daughter would be interested. I really like the idea of having someone coming with me and helping out.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Jasmine
  • texasteacher
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
gailz2
  • Jilleysue
  • Products and Tips
Replies