• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Keurig vs Tassimo: Which Coffee Machine is Right for You?

In summary, the Keurig is a great machine for those who don't like coffee, but want to make coffee for their spouse or friends. It comes with its own insert for personal use, and can also make latte and cappuccino. However, it is possible to purchase additional K-Cups that can also make espresso. The Platinum Edition of the Keurig has an ice coffee option that is not available on the regular version.
pampchefrhondab
I'm looking for some advice if any of you have one of these machines. I'm not a coffee drinker, but thought I would get one for my husband for Christmas.

I purchased the Keurig from QVC yesterday as the "Today Special Value." I like that it came w/the insert so he can use his own coffee - cheaper then buying the K-cups. I was happy with my decision until.... today I get a Bed Bath and Beyond flyer with a Tassimo on the cover. It can make latte's and cappuccion's which the Keurig can't do, but you have to use the T discs. They carry one for caramel latte's which my husband would love.

Now I don't know what to do. I'll have to ship the Keurig back since it's already processing and I can't cancel the order.

Any advice would be appreciated:)!

I saw the same QVC special and FI had to talk me out of it since we already have the exact one on our wedding registry, but it is a PHENOMENAL bargain! I was shocked when they said they sold 92k of them though.

I have only seen the Tassimo in action briefly as they always have a tent set up at the King of Prussia mall with samples. My biggest reason for choosing the new Platinum Edition of the Keurig is because I am an ice tea drinker and FI is an iced coffee drinker.

I don't want to persuade you, as I was wondering the same thing (if the Keurig made Cappuccino's). However, I would think it is only a matter of time before they make K-cups that are cappuccino's. Google for them specifically too from all the K-cup companies out there now.

If he is more into latte's and espresso you might want to consider the moka express. I have heard wonderful things about the Moka. you can make small individual cups of espresso. It makes it into pretty strong coffee - like Italian coffee. I am hoping to get one for Christmas and make my own Latte's.
The trouble with buying something that uses discs means you have to use their type and what if he ends up not liking the flavor, plus it can get expensive. Say the disc costs 1.80 a piece and he drinks one or more a day. It adds up, might as well go to the coffee stand.
The Moka is small and you use the stove so it won't take up space on your counter, but it does make a stronger cup, also a smaller cup. When it says Moka 1-Cup it means it makes about 2 oz of coffee/espresso.
Anyway, Target sells them starting at about 20 for a 6 cup (12oz) size. And there are lots of different options. Just a different option all together. :)

We have the one that QVC was selling yesterday (B70, I think) and we got it around March/April.

We got ours at BB&B for around the same price (we had 20% 0ff) but I bought the My K Cup (never use) and the water filter separately. So you got a GREAT deal, IMO. This model also has an ice coffee option - which I never thought I'd use - but now I use it all the time.

First, let me say that it was the B-E-S-T purchase we made all year. WE LOVE OUR MACHINE! We kept the regular coffee machine (by the pot) on the counter for a full 6-months along side the Keurig and we never used it. I finally stored it away. Coffee that has been sitting is JUST NOT THE SAME once you experience the Keurig. We actually drink less coffee on the weekends since I am not trying to finish the pot. BUT, I would never make coffee on workdays since we both only had time for 1 cup - but now with the Keurig we each make a fresh cup in the morning.

There are TONS of K-Cups to choose from. (I am not familiar with the selection of Tassimo.)

Try these sites to see the different K-Cups available:
www.GreenMountainCoffee.com
http://www.keurig.com

I am a Cafe Express Member at Green Mountain and get $ off each box. Also, if you buy 4 boxes, you get free shipping.

I have not ever felt wanting in the selection category. Sometimes there are too many too choose from.

I can't speak highly enough about the machine.

Wow, you guys have been very helpful - thank you!! Yeah, I thought the price was GREAT from QVC, plus I got easy pay:)!

I think I'll stick with the Keurig since it's cheaper per cup and has more variety at this time - plus he can use his favorite Starbucks in it if he wants (they don't have the kind he likes in the T-Discs). The reviews for the caramel latte which he would want weren't very good for the Tassimo either which is the main reason I was considering it.

It's hard for me since I'm not a coffee drinker so thank you so much again:)!

Love Love Love Love Love my Keurig

I got the Keurig yesterday thru QVC (I'm a QVC junkie) and I mostly got it b/c I have been eyeing up Keurig but I wanted a red coffee pot. Well VOILA its like QVC heard my requests and on top of it, it was in Gloss Cinnamon which is the color of the KitchenAid I want the next time the 6qt one is the TSV on QVC (should have gotten it last year). I don't drink coffee period. BLAH, ICK, GROSS...any way a 5yr old could describe it would be what I think of java HOWEVER i like that now my guests can have coffee and I dont have to worry about a can sitting around going stale/bad and I do like foofy stuff so I thought this way I could experiment. Just like you I got the BB&B flyer today when I got home, saw the other one and thought OOH WOW! Hmmmm.... But I do believe based off of EVERYONE that I know that has a Keurig, I have never once heard a bad review. I think we made the right decision (and we gotta love easy pay!)

Yeah, I've heard nothing but good reviews on the Keurig.

Melissa I'm a QVC junkie too so welcome to the club:)! I got the Waring waffle maker last week which was the TSV. I used it today and boy did it work great!! They were the best waffles I have ever had and they get done so fast! I'm making them Sunday for our Christmas "Family Day." I can't wait to surprise my kids!

pampchefrhondab said:
Wow, you guys have been very helpful - thank you!! Yeah, I thought the price was GREAT from QVC, plus I got easy pay:)!

I think I'll stick with the Keurig since it's cheaper per cup and has more variety at this time - plus he can use his favorite Starbucks in it if he wants (they don't have the kind he likes in the T-Discs). The reviews for the caramel latte which he would want weren't very good for the Tassimo either which is the main reason I was considering it.

It's hard for me since I'm not a coffee drinker so thank you so much again:)!

Since you mention Starbucks - you will need to use the "My K-Cup".

For some reason, I have not been able to master the "My K-Cup" yet. I have tried putting various coffees in - and I just can't get as good of a cup of coffee with the "My K-Cup" as I can with a pre-done K-Cups. Maybe it is just me?

So, my only advice is, if you try the "My K-Cup" with his Starbucks coffee first and if your DH doesn't love the cup of coffee - don't fret - try some of the K-Cups that they will send you with the machine.

The Green Mountain Coffees are excellent.

Oh, and you say you don't drink coffee, but they sell Tea K-cups and Hot Cocoa K-cups too!

Good Luck and enjoy! :)

pampchefrhondab said:
Yeah, I've heard nothing but good reviews on the Keurig.

Melissa I'm a QVC junkie too so welcome to the club:)! I got the Waring waffle maker last week which was the TSV. I used it today and boy did it work great!! They were the best waffles I have ever had and they get done so fast! I'm making them Sunday for our Christmas "Family Day." I can't wait to surprise my kids!

Oh I want that too! It was on yesterday during the 4hr Kitchen show with David (I miss 'In the Kitchen with Bob'). I keep my eye on it but I need my wallet to catch up to my kitchen gadget addiction. If I can recommend the ULTIMATE BEST item I have gotten from QVC in regards to kitchen stuff....the saran wrap and tinfoil dispensers. Life without them is NOTHING. I have thrown away rolls of cling wrap b/c it sticks to itself or the foil wrips along the core etc....these are like mini-miracles for foil/saran wrap.

What color did you get your Keurig in?

Keurig ROCKS!

I have had my machine about 2yrs..the top of the water reservoir is starting to crack, I called Keurig.

They are mailing me a NEW reservoir for FREE!!!

talk about customer service :thumbup:

Melissa78 said:
Oh I want that too! It was on yesterday during the 4hr Kitchen show with David (I miss 'In the Kitchen with Bob'). I keep my eye on it but I need my wallet to catch up to my kitchen gadget addiction. If I can recommend the ULTIMATE BEST item I have gotten from QVC in regards to kitchen stuff....the saran wrap and tinfoil dispensers. Life without them is NOTHING. I have thrown away rolls of cling wrap b/c it sticks to itself or the foil wrips along the core etc....these are like mini-miracles for foil/saran wrap.

What color did you get your Keurig in?

I miss Bob too. I heard they fired him:(! The waffle maker I got was the same brand, but a different model then the one they had w/David on Sunday. Mine makes 2 waffles at once - one on each side. It will be there when you have the money later. I understand - I've been spending way too much money lately!! I'll have to try those dispensers - going to look them up tonight. I don't remember ever seeing them before.

I got the silver Keurig. The cinnamon was pretty and my kitchen is about the color of cranberry stones from PC so it would match, but I didn't want to be stuck w/that color. Plus it will match my other appliances. I liked the black one, but they were sold out by the time I ordered. I also ordered the holder for the K-cups which will match the silver one. I'm all about matching:)!

nancycookspc said:
Keurig ROCKS!

I have had my machine about 2yrs..the top of the water reservoir is starting to crack, I called Keurig.

They are mailing me a NEW reservoir for FREE!!!

talk about customer service :thumbup:

That's good to know in case I have any trouble in the future. I'm excited about getting it. I hope I can wait until Christmas to give it to my husband.:p

kam said:
Since you mention Starbucks - you will need to use the "My K-Cup".

For some reason, I have not been able to master the "My K-Cup" yet. I have tried putting various coffees in - and I just can't get as good of a cup of coffee with the "My K-Cup" as I can with a pre-done K-Cups. Maybe it is just me?

So, my only advice is, if you try the "My K-Cup" with his Starbucks coffee first and if your DH doesn't love the cup of coffee - don't fret - try some of the K-Cups that they will send you with the machine.

The Green Mountain Coffees are excellent.

Oh, and you say you don't drink coffee, but they sell Tea K-cups and Hot Cocoa K-cups too!

Good Luck and enjoy! :)

Yeah, I'll have to see how he likes it w/the My K-Cup. I'm kinda hoping he likes the K-cups better - easier for me:)!

I just got a Keurig last week. It was my Christmas present from DH. :)I like the My K Cup accessory, but I found something else that works, too. It's called a MyKap, and it fits on top of used K Cups to allow you to reuse them (refilled with fresh coffee). The creator of the Kaps noticed that the direction of water flow is different between the cups and the My K Cup filter. Reusing the cups keeps that the same. You can see them at My-Kap - Reuse Your Keurig K-Cups! If anyone orders, please indicate my email as the referrer (they send freebies): [email protected]. I've used the MyKap a couple of times, and it's pretty cool.

Forgot to mention- if you get a Keurig, don't bother with the tea KCups. Just put a tea bag into the My K Cup accessory (without the filter insert). Do put the top on it, though. If there's no lid, it'll leak all over the counter (ask me how I know...). For the price of a box of KCups, you can buy a LOT of teabags or high quality loose tea. And the hot chocolate cups are just full of powdered cocoa mix. Use a MyKap on a used cup and make your own (pull the filter paper out first for those, though).

Wow information overload...i better get paper and pen for all these helpful tips! Thanks Ann!!!!

1. What is the difference between Keurig and Tassimo?

The main difference between Keurig and Tassimo is the type of pods they use. Keurig uses K-cups, which are single-use coffee pods, while Tassimo uses T-discs, which are also single-use but have a barcode that allows the machine to customize the brewing process for each drink.

2. Can I use K-cups in a Tassimo machine or vice versa?

No, K-cups and T-discs are not interchangeable. Each machine is designed to work with a specific type of pod, so attempting to use the wrong one could damage the machine and affect the quality of the drink.

3. Which machine is better for making specialty drinks like lattes and cappuccinos?

Tassimo machines are better for making specialty drinks because of the barcode technology. The T-discs are programmed to create a specific drink, so the machine will automatically adjust the brewing process for the perfect cup every time.

4. Are there reusable pods available for Keurig or Tassimo?

Yes, there are reusable pods available for both Keurig and Tassimo machines. These pods allow you to use your own ground coffee or tea, reducing waste and giving you more control over the strength and flavor of your drink.

5. How often do I need to clean my Keurig or Tassimo machine?

It is recommended to clean your machine every 3-6 months, depending on usage. Both Keurig and Tassimo have cleaning instructions in their manuals, which typically involve running a cleaning solution or vinegar through the machine to remove any buildup or residue.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• vwpamperedchef
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
sharalam
  • The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pampchefrhondab
  • Kitchen Diva