• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Kentucky's Unpreparedness: Hurricane Damage & School Closures

In summary, a recent wind storm in Kentucky caused significant damage, leaving over 300,000 people without power in Louisville alone. The restoration process has begun, but it may take a while for everyone to have their power restored. Schools may also be closed for an extra week to make up for missed days. There were also severe storms in other areas, such as Chicago and Ohio, causing flooding and power outages. Some areas may not have power for weeks. The damage from fallen trees is a major obstacle in the restoration process.
erinb
Gold Member
It's amazing how much damage a hurricane can do in Kentucky. We experienced a very high powered wind storm on Sunday that knocked down many trees and left over 300,000 without power in Louisville, alone. As of last night, they had 142,000 restored and 159,000 left. School is still out and there is talk of not going back until Monday, Sept. 22. These poor kids will have to go a whole extra week this summer just for this. For every one day missed, they have to make it up at the end of the year. Winter has yet to come and I'm sure we'll have a few snow days in there.

I know that the people in Texas have it much worse, but we were NOT prepared nor aware that this would happen. We were only supposed to have 30 mph gusts and we ended up having 75 mph winds for 3 hours.

What a mess!!

I feel so badly for all of those that have gone without power. I am very fortunate to live in an area that did not lose power.

Erin,

I know what you mean - I'm in the suburbs of Chicago which had massive flooding this past weekend - we got 10 inches of rain in our town in less then 24 hours. Tons of flooded basements and yards and towns completely under water. Luckily I only got a bit of water in the basement (and thankfully it's not finished and there are drains in the floor) - best of luck with everyone dealing with the remnants of this terrible storm.

I know that Merego texted me Sunday and told me about her storm in Ohio - She is still with no electric at her home but her neighbor is graciously allowing them to use theirs with a long extention cord (seems that she has a different carrier then Meredith) No school, no power, no stores open, and they might not get back phones or internet for about a month she texted me yesterday! How horrible!!!

Now we were all prepared for Hanna and got nothing!!

I live in Ohio as well and there is alot of damage...I live on a farm and the electric pole that runs the electric to the farm snapped in half, the power line is still down, although the farm is receiving electricity.

I know there are alot of people in my area who won't have power back until later this week/maybe this weekend. It's just terrible. There are so many trees down, we had a few deaths from branches falling (one, a 12 yr old boy racing home on his bike, he was across the street when it fell and killed him)
I think that's the main problem of not getting power back on, is clearing up the debris and trees before they can get to work on them.

It's like a war zone.

My thoughts and prayers are with those who are still without power and dealing with the aftermath of the hurricane. It's amazing to see the damage that Mother Nature can do, but it's also heartwarming to see communities come together to help each other during these difficult times. As a pampered chef consultant, I understand the importance of being prepared for unexpected events, and I hope that everyone stays safe and has the necessary resources to get through this tough situation. Stay strong, Kentucky!

1. What caused the hurricane damage in Kentucky?

Hurricane damage in Kentucky is caused by strong winds and heavy rainfall from hurricanes or tropical storms that make landfall in the state. These weather systems can cause power outages, flooding, and damage to buildings and infrastructure.

2. How does Kentucky's unpreparedness affect school closures during a hurricane?

Kentucky's unpreparedness for hurricanes can lead to school closures as a safety precaution. This is because schools may not have the necessary resources or emergency plans in place to ensure the safety of students and staff during a hurricane.

3. Are all schools in Kentucky required to close during a hurricane?

No, not all schools in Kentucky are required to close during a hurricane. School closures are ultimately decided by the district or individual school based on the severity of the weather and the safety of students and staff.

4. How can we better prepare for hurricanes in Kentucky?

To better prepare for hurricanes in Kentucky, it is important for individuals and communities to have an emergency plan in place. This can include having a supply of non-perishable food and water, a first aid kit, and a plan for evacuation if necessary.

5. Is there any assistance available for schools in Kentucky after a hurricane?

Yes, there are various forms of assistance available for schools in Kentucky after a hurricane. This can include federal aid and resources from organizations such as the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and the American Red Cross.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• baychef
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
baychef
  • Intrepid_Chef
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
pamperedlinda
  • The_Kitchen_Guy