• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Parents Discussing Possible Juvenile Diabetes: Help & Support

In summary, the conversation revolves around a parent's concern for their child who is exhibiting symptoms that could potentially be related to juvenile diabetes. Other parents in the conversation share their own experiences with the disease and offer support and advice. The original parent mentions that they have a doctor's appointment the next day to get their child checked and will update everyone on the outcome.
quiverfull7
Gold Member
Anyone here have a child with JD?
Our 6 year old seems to have some symptoms so i'm taking her
in tomorrow. Trying not to freak out and also thanking God
that her teacher alerted me to her need for drinking lately that
was such a change in pattern. She's also begun wetting the bed
again lately which she had so proudly overcome.

Definitely something for a doctor to evaluate. I could be urinary or kidney issues, too. My husband got "juvenile" type 1 diabetes in his mid-30s. Lots of thirst, very sudden change in vision. It was the eye doctor that suggested he see his regular doctor. Hopefully they'll do a quick finger prick as well as send her blood out for the A1C3 reading. For some people diabetes is more manageable than for others. Keep us posted.

DD just got glasses about 6 weeks ago. Couldn't see well at all and I just missed it. The eye dr. didn't say anything at that point. Her teacher took me aside last week and mentioned how often she asks to get water and the bedwetting has come out of the blue so I just don't want to ignore it. Thanks so much! I will keep you posted! If it was kidney or UTI wouldn't she have some pain or discomfort or not necessarily?

It really does sound like diabetes. Great teacher! Kids don't necessarily have pain with a UTI. My daughter had anxiety at the end of the school year two years ago which caused her to go to the bathroom non-stop after she had gone to bed but was frustrated b/c nothing would come out. I finally agreed to take her in to get checked for a UTI so I had a brief discussion with the doctor about symptoms. Turns out she was sleeping in too much so couldn't fall asleep and was getting herself worked up. My child can sleep like a teenager, up all night, sleep til noon if I let her, and she's not even 8 yet.

If she has diabetes, you'll have to focus on her diet. She'll need to learn how a lot of exercise can bring her blood sugar level down. A friend on FB has a son with diabetes. At 7 he finally went on a playdate without his mom being there. I guess she wanted to be around in case he needed a shot or his levels got too low. Kids are very adaptive and can learn new behaviors, even the monitoring and diet. It's hard, though, b/c there may be times when her blood sugar gets low b/c of taking too much insulin. Then she'll feel weird, but otherwise she may not notice anything wrong. It will be very hard for her to understand the long-term complications that can arise if the diabetes is not carefully managed.

As a diabetic (type 2, came along 20 years ago) all I can say is glad you're taking care of it. It IS manageable. Catching it at this early age is going to make it easier to deal with for the rest of her life.

Julie Lockharts son has juvinile diabetes. She is in the Oregon area.

Diane,
My niece was diagnosed with juvenile diabetes at about the same age. She is 14 now, and has a fantastic attitude and is very well educated about it. Luckily, she got great care and my sister and her husband have helped empower her to take control over it. It hasn't always been easy, but I think my sister would be a great resource.If you PM me your email, I will contact my sister and ask her if she would be willing to talk to you or email you. Be of good hope, be involved, and know that this is something you and your daughter can handle. (But of course, I hope your MD can diagnose it as something much easier!!! as my partner's dad says, don't borrow tomorrow's trouble today!, his way of saying cross that bridge when you come to it.)Marghi

Thanks everyone! We have a 1:30 appointment tomorrow so I'll post as soon as I can.

quiverfull7 said:
Anyone here have a child with JD?
Our 6 year old seems to have some symptoms so i'm taking her
in tomorrow. Trying not to freak out and also thanking God
that her teacher alerted me to her need for drinking lately that
was such a change in pattern. She's also begun wetting the bed
again lately which she had so proudly overcome.

I do. My 15 year old son was diagnosed 2 years ago. Our signs were excessive drinking (milk, water, etc) and urinating. Like more than 10x in an hour like when you are first waking up in the morning. I'd be glad to talk more about it. We'll be keeping you in our thoughts.

Diane, my son was diagnosed with JD (type 1) 4 years ago when he was 13. He was the kind of boy who never drank water...ever..he hated it (said it had no flavor) then he got sick with the flu and after a few weeks of not being able to shake the flu and after his 3rd appointment (first 2 times he saw on call dr.) his pediatrician checked him and he came back diabetic. He drank so much water the 2 weeks before he was diagnosed and yes he had a few bed wetting accidents. My son takes 2 different types of insulin daily and is supposed to do 3-5 finger pokes a day. It is a huge lifestyle change but it is manageable. I wish your daughter and you the very best. Keep us posted.

Interesting, Patty. My husband came down with his around the same time he had a tooth infection. No family history so it was very puzzling. They think for some people there is a link between infection and type 1. Sounds like it could have been the case with your son as well.

PRAISE GOD with us! Her tests were clear!!!!! There were trace amounts of blood in her urine so they are doing a culture but we are SO thankful to God! We also know that He would see us through if it had not been clear and also that there are so many other things that are worse diagnosis than JD but I'm just so so so thankful! Can't thank all of you enough for your support!!!!!!!!

glad to hear!!!! God is Good!!!

Then what is it? I want doctors to have an answer for everything ;) Glad it's not diabetes, though. Phew!

quiverfull7 said:
PRAISE GOD with us! Her tests were clear!!!!! There were trace amounts of blood in her urine so they are doing a culture but we are SO thankful to God! We also know that He would see us through if it had not been clear and also that there are so many other things that are worse diagnosis than JD but I'm just so so so thankful! Can't thank all of you enough for your support!!!!!!!!

You are absolutely right! As we spent a week in the hospital with the initial diagnosis, there were teens who had a lung disease that wouldn't be around to see their 23 birthday. I thank God my son has diabetes vs. a disease with a death sentence.

Becca, yes my son's endo said that it probably was caused by a virus. I was really surprised to hear that too...but nobody really has a clear explanation about how he could have gotten it..just that his pancreas does not do its job now. Diane, so happy to hear her test came back good and she is not diabetic.

im glad to hear she is doing fine

Thanks everyone!

1. What are the warning signs of juvenile diabetes?

Some common warning signs of juvenile diabetes, also known as type 1 diabetes, include extreme thirst, frequent urination, sudden weight loss, constant hunger, fatigue, and blurred vision. If your child is experiencing any of these symptoms, it is important to consult a doctor for proper diagnosis and treatment.

2. How is juvenile diabetes diagnosed?

Juvenile diabetes is typically diagnosed through a blood test that measures the level of glucose in the blood. If the glucose level is consistently high, it may indicate the presence of diabetes. Your child may also undergo a urine test to check for excess sugar in the urine.

3. What are the treatment options for juvenile diabetes?

Treatment for juvenile diabetes usually involves daily insulin injections or the use of an insulin pump. Your child will also need to monitor their blood sugar levels regularly and make necessary adjustments in their insulin dosage. A healthy diet and regular exercise are also important for managing juvenile diabetes.

4. How can parents support a child with juvenile diabetes?

Parents can provide emotional and practical support to their child with juvenile diabetes by educating themselves about the condition, helping their child stick to a healthy diet and exercise routine, and being understanding and patient with any challenges their child may face. It is also important to communicate openly and listen to your child's concerns.

5. Are there any resources available for parents of children with juvenile diabetes?

Yes, there are many resources available for parents of children with juvenile diabetes. These include support groups, online communities, and educational materials from organizations such as the American Diabetes Association and JDRF. Your child's doctor can also provide valuable information and resources to help you support your child's needs.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• quiverfull7
  • Buy and Sell Items
Replies
Views
cmdtrgd
  • cewcooks
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
lockhartkitchen
  • quiverfull7