• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Personal Storing My Husband's Clothes While He's Away: Heartwarming Moment with Our Son

In summary, the conversation was about a military spouse who recently moved into on post housing while her husband was deployed in Iraq. She finally sorted and stored his clothes and gave some to their child to sleep in. They also discussed care packages and a "daddy doll" that can record a special message. One person shared a similar experience and another offered to make a quilt for the family. The conversation ended with words of support and gratitude for the sacrifices made by military families.
pcsharon1
Gold Member
As a lot of you know, my husband is currently in Iraq. He's been there since mid-March.

We moved into on post housing the week before he left, so we were really only interested in getting everything in the house and getting all the big stuff where we wanted it before he left. So, as far as his clothes, they got stuffed into his closet and the door got closed on them until I could get around to sorting and storing them. Well, I finally did it. I know - it's been nearly three months but that's not the point of the story.

Got everything put away and sorted. There were a few things to donate to Goodwill and a couple of t-shirts that had a small stain or were a little small that I decided to give to our three year old to sleep in to help him feel closer to Daddy.

So, he comes in and I'm putting one of the t-shirts on him and he's all excited because he gets to sleep in Daddy's shirt and he looks up at me with the biggest grin and says "Mommy! I smell something. It smells like Daddy!" So sweet, I almost cried. Just wanted to share.

Oh, sweetie. Been there, done that. What sweet memory, special moment. Make sure you tell daddy when you can.

Continuing to pray for your hubby...

If he could use a care package, email me his address and a wish list...

[email protected]

P.S. Were you able to do a "daddy doll" for your kiddos?

https://www.hugahero.com/

Love that they have a voice chip so daddy (or whoever) can record a special message...

Awe! I remember watching my sister's kids for the weekend. Her middle daughter and I slept in her bed and the daughter wanted to sleep on her mom's side of the bed because it smelled like her!

That is such a sweet story, thank you for sharing.

That's so sweet. Thank you for sharing.

nikked said:
P.S. Were you able to do a "daddy doll" for your kiddos?

https://www.hugahero.com/

Love that they have a voice chip so daddy (or whoever) can record a special message...

Those Daddy Dolls are adorable--what a great idea. I, myself, make quilts for "Operation Kid Comfort" for the base at Fort Drum in NY. They send me pix on fabric of the deploying parent and the child, and the material if I want (I have enough of my own) and I make lap-sized quilts for each child.

Check your base and see if they have anything similar. If not, and if you can get pix transferred onto those special fabric sheets (check any fabric shop), I'd be more than happy to make one for you.

Sharon, that brought tears to my eyes. Thanks for sharing, and thanks to your Hubby, and you & your kids for the sacrifices you make.

Sharon, I do not know how you feel about all this as I have not been there but my neighbor Emilia has. Her and Colin have gone through this three times thus far. Colin never got a chance to really watch his youngest son Aidan even grow up. Aidan was literally born two days before he shipped out the first time. Aidan is now three! And Colin has maybe been able to spend about 7 months all together with him. Aidan has an older brother William who is 5. Each of the boys has a t-shirt of daddies and wears them proudly. I remember the day that Aidan figured out that his new big boy shirt smelled like cologne and his daddy. Emilia, our other neighbor Sharon and I just stood there and cried. Collin is part of the 32nd and came back in March of this year and he has been in the states since then. This last Friday they packed up their home and moved to Sparta Wisconsin, three hours from here as Collin is going to be stationed out of Tomah. Emilia barely slept when Colin was gone and she had every light in the house on all the time. I prayed for her all the time. I could not imagine being separated from a spouse or loved one for that amount of time. I pray for all the families and all our military people. and I pray for you and yours as well. Thank you so much for the sacrifices you personally make. I think a lot of people forget about the families of the people serving over seas and I want you and any one else to know that I do not as I had a constant reminder that it can be and usually is extremely difficult on all of you as well.

Thanks everyone! We are doing okay - it is just me and a three year old but our biggest problem is that we were on recruiting duty before we came here so Tristan has never been away from Daddy. My husband worked almost every day for those three years he was a recruiter and came home late at night many a night but he always came home. So Tristan is having some trouble with Daddy being at work for so long. He slept with us when he was a baby - actually never used the crib, glad it was a hand me down and we didn't spend money on it - and he has gone back to sleeping with me since my hubby left. The first thing he did when he woke up this morning was go "Mom, look. I'm wearing Daddy's shirt!"

We do have a "daddy doll" - not the full length one that you send in the picture to have made but the Huggee Miss You one from Hugs To Go that looks like a soldier and you put the soldiers picture in for the face. That thing goes everywhere - he just loves it. As for the quilt, we don't have anything like that here but thanks so much for the idea. I actually do a little quilting myself and would be able to make that for him. I'll look around and should be able to have one ready for him by fall. Also, the USO here on post let Dads go in and read stories on DVD before they left and we are supposed to get a copy of the DVD and one of the books so Tristan can read along. That should be coming any day now. I try to give him reminder things about once every six weeks or so.

And we are very fortunate to get to actually talk to my husband using Skype on our computers at least a couple of times a week. I know that most people are not that blessed, so it is something we are very thankful for. I realize a lot of families go for weeks, even months, without a letter or phone call - so this is a true blessing.

Thanks again.

Thank you Sharon for sharing that story with us! We sincerely appreciate the sacrifices your husband and your family are making! Bless you all!

Awwww.... Sharon! What can I say? He is so sweet!

What is "Just to Share........"?

"Just to Share........" is a line of products from Pampered Chef that are designed for sharing and entertaining. These products are perfect for hosting parties, potlucks, and other social gatherings.

What types of products are included in the "Just to Share........" line?

The "Just to Share........" line includes a variety of products such as serving platters, trays, bowls, and utensils. These products are made with high-quality materials and are designed to make hosting and entertaining easier and more enjoyable.

Can I use "Just to Share........" products for everyday use?

Yes, absolutely! While these products are designed with entertaining in mind, they are also great for everyday use. They are durable and versatile, making them perfect for any occasion.

Are "Just to Share........" products dishwasher safe?

Yes, all of our "Just to Share........" products are dishwasher safe for easy and convenient cleaning. Just make sure to check the individual product instructions for any special care recommendations.

Are there any special promotions or discounts for "Just to Share........" products?

Yes, we frequently offer promotions and discounts on our "Just to Share........" products. Make sure to check our website or social media pages for any current deals or subscribe to our email list to stay updated on our latest offers.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ChefMoore
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Paula R. Lewis
  • nikked
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
nikked
  • pampchefrhondab