• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Personal Balancing Jobs & Business Goals: My Journey as a Stay-at-Home Mom

In summary, Shelby applied for work at five different places, but Target called today and offered her a part-time seasonal position. She is worried about whether or not to take the job, as she is 8 months pregnant and doesn't want to be on a floor stocking position.
ShelbyMichalek
So recently I've been applying for work in my area. I wasn't sure how much into Pampered Chef I'd be getting and just applied to 5 places, retail work because I have experience with that from my past job. I was hoping it would help me contribute to our family more and like I said, I wasn't sure if I wanted to continue with Pampered Chef.

Yesterday I was looking at my calendar and circling at full force dates I want to book shows. Being a stay-at-home-mom I can book shows about 18 dates a month. I got really excited about doing Pampered Chef full time! I would LOVE to be a director by May. I would LOVE to make $2k a month. I would LOVE to fulfill my goal in my signature (below).

Today Target :yuck: called and they're interested in hiring me as a part-time seasonal position. They already know that I'm only willing to work from 7 until 3:30 (my husband works 4pm to 12am). They also *should* know [it was on my application] I won't be willing to start until November 29th because my family will be out of town for November. If they hire me now and want me to work right away they NEED to understand that I'll need that time off (which I doubt they will, it's Target.)

I can still work my business but I know that at some point I would be burnt out waking up 6 am every day, coming home to see my son for five minutes and pack for a show (most nights, if my calendar gets as full as I wanted it to) and then drop him off at a babysitter (which...by the way, I DONT have!!), go to my show, get home at 9. Wash dishes. Etc. Crawl into bed at 11pm. I would barely see my husband (even though he only works 4 days at a time) and I wouldn't succeed in my Pampered Chef business in the way I would like to. I would have little to no time to do my 3 Pampered Chef contact calls each day and nothing left for host coaching, which I'm not the best at but I'm striving to be better.

I'm not in any way saying I'll be giving up Pampered Chef. I think basically my feelings are that I sort of hope I have a good excuse to turn down (or maybe they wont hire me?) the job just so I can work my own business. However I feel like maybe I'm selfish doing that because it's only a seasonal position in the first place and what happens if I don't have a full calendar for December?

UGHGHGHGH
I wanted a job to help me make contacts, but I fear it will make me miserable.
Help?!?! Advice?

Did I mention I'm 5 months pregnant now and Target wants me on a floor stocking position? (Putting stuff on shelves, hanging clothes up, etc.) Even though I applied for a cashier position. My resume shows my experience is in store management! Thanks for a kick in the rear Target. I'm more qualified that half your staff!

Hugs Shelby.Ya know what? I do this part-time on top of a full-time career, sometimes have a full calendar, sometimes don't and THAT'S OK. It really is your life your way and we all have our goals.My recruiter has 3 young children and works part-time. Right now her goal is 2 shows a month. She does them on weekends, or does catalog shows. A job might be a good place to meet people for this business.Have you checked into video store management? I saw a sign at Family Video that they were hiring managers at 30K.

The problem is I dont think I WANT a job. I want to do Pampered Chef full time. I worry though that if I turn this down and my calendar isn't already really full it will be something I'll regret.

Shelby - quick look into the future. 8 months pregnant and only want to do catalog parties. Target may be perfect to set up those contacts for that time. Also, it is only seasonal and it is a job that can be walked away from. No one said you can't give it a go, stick it out for the holidays if you want and then well, kiss them good bye with great joy so as to not loose any contacts you made to do parties later for you to keep PC alive and allow you time to have your baby and enjoy that time for a bit. Think of it as a PC career builder rather than apart time job!

pampered1224 said:
Shelby - quick look into the future. 8 months pregnant and only want to do catalog parties. Target may be perfect to set up those contacts for that time. Also, it is only seasonal and it is a job that can be walked away from. No one said you can't give it a go, stick it out for the holidays if you want and then well, kiss them good bye with great joy so as to not loose any contacts you made to do parties later for you to keep PC alive and allow you time to have your baby and enjoy that time for a bit. Think of it as a PC career builder rather than apart time job!

I'm trying for that! I really think I'm not the type to walk away from the job offer, especially since I need to make contacts here. I've only lived here 4 months.
I also am doing the project suggested on the last calendar page of my 2010 consultant planner.
"Pre-schedule one catalog show a month for the whole year! Ask 12 people to choose a different month to host a catalog show. Schedule the shows to close the first week of each month."
So I made up a flyer listing each month in bold. I'll put an "X" next to the month once is chosen. (I'm offering an incentive for people to be the one to grab that month first.) I listed March 3 times because that's the month I'm due.

(((hugs))) we can all give suggestions, but we can't make the decision for you. If you really do not want to work for Target, then start making contacts NOW! Start hitting up groups for fundraisers to get your name out there. Churches, day care centers. School organizations such at the PTA/PTO, cheerleaders, band etc. Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts ... there are always groups looking to raise money, even college sororities! ;)

Sheila said:
(((hugs))) we can all give suggestions, but we can't make the decision for you. If you really do not want to work for Target, then start making contacts NOW! Start hitting up groups for fundraisers to get your name out there. Churches, day care centers. School organizations such at the PTA/PTO, cheerleaders, band etc. Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts ... there are always groups looking to raise money, even college sororities! ;)

I feel silly because I hadn't remembered this but I *think* one of the members of the military spouses group here actually coordinates a local girl scouts group. I'm trying to find a way to contact her now!

Pre-schedule one catalog show a month for the whole year! Ask 12 people to choose a different month to host a catalog show. Schedule the shows to close the first week of each month."
So I made up a flyer listing each month in bold. I'll put an "X" next to the month once is chosen. (I'm offering an incentive for people to be the one to grab that month first.) I listed March 3 times because that's the month I'm due.

THIS IS AN AWESOME IDEA!! Good luck with whatever you choose, PC will be here when and if you need it, that I know from experience :)

Humble Beginnings said:
Pre-schedule one catalog show a month for the whole year! Ask 12 people to choose a different month to host a catalog show. Schedule the shows to close the first week of each month."

THIS IS AN AWESOME IDEA!! Good luck with whatever you choose, PC will be here when and if you need it, that I know from experience :)

Thanks! I actually really like most of the little projects our current calendar planner has. I really want to switch to a different style refillable planner (I bought one) but I think of what I'll be missing with next year's planner if they do the same thing with it. Maybe I'll beg one of you cheffers who does order it to post what they are. ;)

ShelbyMichalek said:
Thanks! I actually really like most of the little projects our current calendar planner has. I really want to switch to a different style refillable planner (I bought one) but I think of what I'll be missing with next year's planner if they do the same thing with it. Maybe I'll beg one of you cheffers who does order it to post what they are. ;)

PC sends them to active consultants each year...so you should get one as long as you are still active. :)

I would probably take the job as long as it worked with my family- but work on my PC business part-time. Slowly build up to the full-time schedule you desire. Once you are making the amount of money per month you make working at a place like Target, then drop Target and focus on PC! Use it to make those contacts for sure! It will put some money in your checking account while you build back up the business. Since it's seasonal- make that your PC Goal/Deadline....have the calendar stacked as you want it by the end of December into the new year.

Don't think of it as working at Target nearly full-time, AND doing PC full-time. Realistically, you won't book that many shows right away anyway. And if you did, you wouldn't be asking us for advice. ;) We'd be asking YOU!

ShelbyMichalek said:
I feel silly because I hadn't remembered this but I *think* one of the members of the military spouses group here actually coordinates a local girl scouts group. I'm trying to find a way to contact her now!

Here's an idea for Girl scouts that I am doing. My daughter has been one since she was a daisy in Kindergarten, she is now a Cadette. Never thought to do this for her troop, I had another troop leader call me, not knowing what Pampered Chef was wanting to know if I could help with a creative cooking badge for his troop. So what I am doing is - each girl will pay $20, they will get a coffee & more cup (ordering this month so they get pink ones), mini whisk and a seasons best cookbook. We will make the Hot chocolate Trifle cups out of the Simply sweet cookbook. Products come to $20.50, and I will just cover the rest, figure it's my good deed write off for the girl scouts!
I'm looking forward to it, should be a lot of fun!

I won't be willing to start until November 29th because my family will be out of town for November. If they hire me now and want me to work right away they NEED to understand that I'll need that time off (which I doubt they will, it's Target.)

Target has blackout dates starting mid-November where team members cannot request ANY time off. Especially for the post-Thanksgiving sales. They hire all their seasonal help in October, so the new hires will be familiar with the store and procedures before the holiday season hits full force.

The new hires get lots of hours at first, to ramp up on training, while the year-round staff get their hours cut drastically. If they like you, they'll keep you on past Christmas, but don't expect more than 12 hours a week in January-February.

I think sales floor would be better for pregnancy; you keep moving. It's more difficult than you'd think, standing at a register in one spot for hours. Sales floor has more opportunities to go to the bathroom, too ; ) You can just go without asking to get off your checklane.

I didn't get the job. I'm not available when they need me.
I went to a job fair afterwards that was mostly a dead end but I put a billboard in my tote that had the black logo on top (large, covered the width of the page) and said "Now Hiring! Ask ME" and I had one man approach me. I gave him some info and I regret not getting his info. I think he's a good candidate for being a consultant but he wasn't so sure. But he did seem to be open to it.

Hope you're not too bummed about Target :yuck:. I didn't think you'd get it with your time off requirements.

I always regret not getting contact info, too! Once you get in the habit, it gets easier.

I'm not terribly bummed about Target. Just that I got up early and didn't get to sleep in ;)

I'm trying harder to be open about my business in public. Trust me, the fact that I actually carried around my tote like that and gave the guy the info is a HUGE step for me!!

Major suggestion here - when putting info to give out in your tote, put a post it note on each one that is blank. This way when you pull it out to give it away, you will see the blank post it and you will remember to get their info! A director of our groups got that idea from someone a NC I think. And she now always remembers! She did say though that it really, really, REALLY helps to remember to bring a pen!!

Thanks John! I actually have heard that before and simply forgot. I'll just have to go get some post-it's now. Next time I go to any store except Target.
I actually might just go tonight at 12:30 when my husband gets home from work just so I don't forget again. LOL.

pampered1224 said:
Major suggestion here - when putting info to give out in your tote, put a post it note on each one that is blank. This way when you pull it out to give it away, you will see the blank post it and you will remember to get their info! A director of our groups got that idea from someone a NC I think. And she now always remembers! She did say though that it really, really, REALLY helps to remember to bring a pen!!

I remember seeing someone on here created sticky notes on vista specifically for that purpose. The sticky note had a space for name, phone number and email address, with some of the bigger email services pre-written so the contact could just circle it. Wonder if I could find the image...

If you do Noora that would be great. I may be able to create some.

Thanks! I actually made a different one because both, when uploaded to vista, showed up as low resolution and were blurry.

The first one is mine and is really handy. They can get pricy on Vista so I watch for sales. They won't always let you have the custom ones free. I combine them with lots of other free items on an order so it averages out.

NooraK said:
Found one!

http://www.chefsuccess.com/attachments/f20/14700-my-vista-prints-thread-vista-catalog-sticky.jpg

I love it when file names are self explanatory...

Here's the one I was originally thinking of:

http://www.chefsuccess.com/attachments/f20/13906-my-vista-prints-thread-pc-sticky-catalog.jpg

I don't care for the color combo, hurts my eyes a bit, but it might be better on paper.

1. How do you balance being a stay-at-home mom with your job at Pampered Chef?

Balancing being a stay-at-home mom and working at Pampered Chef can be a challenge, but it's all about finding a routine that works for you and your family. I make sure to prioritize my tasks and delegate when needed. I also have a supportive partner and family who help me with household responsibilities.

2. What inspired you to work for Pampered Chef while being a stay-at-home mom?

I have always had a passion for cooking and hosting parties, so Pampered Chef was a perfect fit for me. I also wanted to contribute financially to my family while still being able to stay at home and take care of my children.

3. How do you manage your time effectively between your job and family responsibilities?

I have a set schedule for both my job and family responsibilities. I make sure to set aside specific times for work and dedicate quality time to my family. I also prioritize tasks and delegate when needed to make the most of my time.

4. What challenges have you faced as a stay-at-home mom working for Pampered Chef?

One of the main challenges I faced was finding a balance between my job and family responsibilities. It can be overwhelming at times, but I have learned to prioritize and delegate tasks when necessary. I also had to overcome the fear of not being able to succeed in both roles, but with support and determination, I have been able to manage both effectively.

5. How has working for Pampered Chef impacted your family life?

Working for Pampered Chef has allowed me to contribute financially to my family while also being able to spend quality time with my children. It has also given me a sense of fulfillment and purpose outside of being a stay-at-home mom. My children have also learned the value of hard work and dedication through seeing me manage both roles successfully.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Stephanie78
  • Christina Wood
  • Pampered Chef Support Group
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • traci davis
  • General Chat
Replies