• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Humor Janet - One Difference Between Tx & Wi

In summary, schools in Texas will not close because of the roads, but in Wisconsin, even with the threat of freezing rain, schools closed because of the danger of ice.
Kathy's_Kitchen
Gold Member
It's 33 degrees, we have the THREAT of freezing rain and school is closed....:rolleyes:

That's funny!

I remember when I lived in SC, if there was freezing rain or snow even in the forecast, schools and businesses would close, and grocery store shelves would be emptied (like it was going to be a month before they'd be able to get back there!)
One time, we did actually get about 1/4 inch of ice, followed by 3 inches of snow....it was 3 weeks before the kids went back to school! They had to wait until every little bit of ice and snow was completely gone before schools could open up again!

I think of that often when I'm out and about driving on top of the snow. :)

That's how NC is too! We had a couple inches of snow one Jan (or was it Feb?) and because the temps stayed in the 30's and parts of the county had snow on the ground still schools were closed for TWO WEEKS! Our area was fine but the rural part of the county still had snow here and there and it wasn't fair for one group of students to get their classes in and the others not or have to travel dangerous roads.

If there's a threat of ice or snow everything shuts down and the stores run out of water and essentials. We have been without power for 2 weeks so I can sort of understand but...

Once when we first moved here there was a hurricane day - conditions were right for a hurricane to move through here. No school and it was the nicest fall day we had the whole year.

We have a delayed opening this morning due to our 1/4 of inch of snow. :rolleyes:

We're having our first real snow of the year, but it's a teacher work day, so the schools were already closed. We'll have to see what they decide about tomorrow. We do live in a rural county, which covers a big area but has few schools, which means some of the kids have long bus rides over dirt roads.

Maybe you should just change the name of the state to Texwuss.

Well, there IS freezing rain falling right now! Its 32 degrees now, but will drop to 23 as the day goes. School is not closed because the roads are fine now, BUT driving home will be a B*&$%!!!!

What sucks the most is that I live 45 minutes from my school (I'm a teacher) so it'll take me about 3 hours to get home. We Texans don't know how to drive in ice. HOpefully they'll let me leave early because of my long drive.

My husband is also a teacher and his school closed (private)!! So unfair!!! He's home making pancakes with the kids. I'm bitter.

Jessica,

I still don't have the freezing rain and I'm just across the lake from you in Lake Dallas....

What district are you in? I know there are some that didn't close...hopefully you will have early release for exactly the reason you said.

I just thought it was funny that Wisconsin didn't close in that bitterly cold weather and we did with just the threat...:rolleyes:

Kathy's_Kitchen said:
Jessica,

I still don't have the freezing rain and I'm just across the lake from you in Lake Dallas....

What district are you in? I know there are some that didn't close...hopefully you will have early release for exactly the reason you said.

I just thought it was funny that Wisconsin didn't close in that bitterly cold weather and we did with just the threat...:rolleyes:

Here in MI we don't close for cold weather....but we would probably close for ice. Ice is just dangerous. It doesn't matter what kind of tires you have (and tire chains are outlawed here) or if you have 4WD....ice will still win.

ETA: BUT there would have to actually be ice - not just a threat of ice!

I work in Carrollton. We won't have early release because they can't send kids home on the busses early. I probably will be able to skip out early. Just get someone to watch my class.

ChefJWarren said:
I work in Carrollton. We won't have early release because they can't send kids home on the busses early.

True...good luck on getting out early and be careful on the roads no matter what time you head home!

Yes, it is currently -20 and school was on. It was -27 when I left my house at 7 a.m.KG, wish I could have seen the Ice Bowl for real...that would have been an interesting game to watch!

Same thing here in Arkansas. I'm in central Arkansas & there is suppose to be ice issues late today & they cancelled class for today. lol Sadly though someone died this morning on one of our highways here in town b/c of the ice on the overpasses. All of our main highways have LOTS of overpasses.

school is delayed here for our trace of snow this morning. supposed to turn to rain by this afternoon - thats why it is just a late start day. i did think of you janet this morning though when i saw that schools were being canceled in some districts & late starts in others...

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Maybe you should just change the name of the state to Texwuss.

Hey now!!!
We are not wusses, let's see you down here in mid-July and see who the wusses are:D
Well, okay, I'll admit to being a wuss in below freezing temps, and adding the wet/ice just makes it worse.

I'm in the southern part of DFW, and my boss said we can leave here when we're done with our work and to plan to work from home tomorrow. For those of you North of Dallas, let me know what the roads are like. I think it's actually below freezing right now in Arlington.

pampcheflisa said:
Hey now!!!
We are not wusses, let's see you down here in mid-July and see who the wusses are:D
Well, okay, I'll admit to being a wuss in below freezing temps, and adding the wet/ice just makes it worse.

I'm in the southern part of DFW, and my boss said we can leave here when we're done with our work and to plan to work from home tomorrow. For those of you North of Dallas, let me know what the roads are like. I think it's actually below freezing right now in Arlington.

I'd love to! I can handle HOT too! ;)

pampcheflisa said:

our boss is the same here. makes me glad we dont get snow enough around here for us to be accustomed to it. i love the random "work-from-home-so-you-arent-driving-in-the-snow-and-ice" days.

thecougchef said:
our boss is the same here. makes me glad we dont get snow enough around here for us to be accustomed to it. i love the random "work-from-home-so-you-arent-driving-in-the-snow-and-ice" days.

I normally do too.........but I have a 2yo and 4yo and if I'm home, then they will probably be too, and it's really hard to get actual work done when they are home. But, on the positive side, I'll get to sleep later, and work in my jammies!!

Hey kitchen guy.. come sit with me through our next hurricane..clean up afterwards.. without anything..and then call me a wuss..lol we may have freezing rain here later today -south of Houston.. so everyone north of here beware. Ice in Texas pulls down all the electric lines.. It slicks the roads and bridges.. not worth risking life and limb... we have had other days where the threat is apparent.. this must be a for sure weather event for them to be so careful.. I grew up in Dallas.. and we would be iced in up to 5 days without electricity.. and many who got on the road ending in tragedy.. I want all my fellow cheffers to be careful!! Proudly from Texwuss!! LOL

The week we had the temps at below zero, it was a Thursday and Friday the 5th and 6th, I believe as the kids here all had a 4 day weekend because Martin Luther King day was that following Monday. Milwaukee Public Schools Closed its doors because of wind chills as did 600 plus other schools in the area. MPS so rarely closes it was a heads up as to just how dangerous the wind chills were. -20 to -45 below! To dangerous to be at bus stops they said so... AND YOU ALL DOWN SOUTH BE VERY CAREFUL PLEASE!!! We don't wanna read bout you in the news!

And wait'll those kids find out they're going to be in school on dates that are already published as Summer Vacation days.

What is "Janet - One Difference Between Tx & Wi"?

"Janet - One Difference Between Tx & Wi" is a recipe featured in Pampered Chef's collection that highlights one key difference between traditional Texan cuisine and Wisconsin cuisine.

What ingredients are needed for "Janet - One Difference Between Tx & Wi"?

The ingredients for "Janet - One Difference Between Tx & Wi" include ground beef, onion, bell peppers, garlic, chili powder, cumin, salt, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, kidney beans, corn, and shredded cheddar cheese.

How do I prepare "Janet - One Difference Between Tx & Wi"?

To prepare "Janet - One Difference Between Tx & Wi", start by browning the ground beef in a skillet. Then, add in the onion, bell peppers, and garlic and cook until softened. Stir in the chili powder, cumin, and salt. Next, add in the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, kidney beans, and corn. Let it simmer for 15 minutes. Finally, top with shredded cheddar cheese and let it melt before serving.

Can "Janet - One Difference Between Tx & Wi" be made vegetarian?

Yes, "Janet - One Difference Between Tx & Wi" can be made vegetarian by substituting the ground beef with a plant-based alternative or adding in extra beans and vegetables.

What are some optional toppings for "Janet - One Difference Between Tx & Wi"?

Some optional toppings for "Janet - One Difference Between Tx & Wi" include sour cream, diced avocado, chopped cilantro, and sliced jalapenos. You can also serve it with tortilla chips on the side for added crunch.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Sheila
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
The_Kitchen_Guy
  • esavvymom
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • BethCooks4U