1. Join Chef Success Today!
    Get support for your PC business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of support threads! Totally Free!
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: Jane Doe wants to buy Pampered Chef

1. mspibb

mspibb Member Gold Member

seriously, I got a "contact me from" Jane Doe in Florida (I'm in Tenn) about wanting to order from my "store." So I just email back, "go to my website and click shop." I get an email back with bad grammar saying she doesn't have a credit or debit card and will mail me a cashier check and I can wait until it clears to send the order. The mailing address she sent is an appraisal company.... Why do people do that?

May 31, 2017
  2. baychef

baychef Senior Member Silver Member

Spam

Jun 1, 2017
  3. mspibb

Again, why does anyone take the time to make up something like that?

Jun 1, 2017
  4. Admin Greg

Admin Greg Senior Member Staff Member

If she's going to mail you a cashier check, what is the risk?

Jun 2, 2017
  5. chefjeanine

chefjeanine Senior Member Gold Member

It is a scam. Somehow (and I'm sure someone will pop on with the details), they make money as we process the check. They are criminals.

Jun 4, 2017
  6. mspibb

I work in the financial industry. Every year I have to take training on cashiering and one of the things that is drilled in us is how easy cashier checks are to fake/alter!

Jun 16, 2017
    ckpi and Admin Greg like this.
  7. ckpi

ckpi Gold Member

I just got two emails last week from people wanting the same thing.

Oct 3, 2017
  8. ShellBeach

ShellBeach Veteran Member

Wow.

Oct 5, 2017
  9. raebates

raebates Legend Member Staff Member

A lot of people think that a cashier's check is the same as cash. Unless you've had dealings with such things, you don't realize what you don't know.

Oct 21, 2017
  10. ShellBeach

ShellBeach Veteran Member

Just surprised Admin Greg's post seemed to imply a cashier's check would be OK. There's been many topics about this scam through the years.

Oct 22, 2017
  11. The cashiers check appears to be legit. My grandson got one and luckily mentioned it to me. His was not for PC purchase but same principle applies. We went to his Credit Union and had them call the bank the check was drawn on. Bank was legit and everything.
    The person looked for the account number and found it was not valid. The check looked real, even had a real business name and address in a different city but the check was bogus.
    Had my grandson cashed it and sent portion of $$ back to person (as he was instructed to do) he would have been responsible for the entire amount of the check plus fees because when CU tried to process it at the original bank, it would eventually be returned as fraudulent check.

Have something to add?