• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Exploring Jamaica, NY: Safety Tips for a New Traveler

In summary, there are many cabs around, and the hotel may have numbers for them, but it's a good idea to have the number for a cab company preprogrammed into your cell phone in case you need it.
dianevill
Gold Member
Is anyone familiar with Jamaica, NY? I need to go there on business in a couple weeks and wanted to know if it's a pretty safe area. I am staying at a hotel close to JFK airport. When I called the hotel to ask if there were restaurants nearby, the gentleman told me there wasn't anything within walking distance and that I was in a residential neighborhood.

I travel a lot for my full-time job but this is my first trip to NY. I'm a bit nervous about this one...

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Don't be nervous, its safe. The 2 worst things about Queens is...#1 a thing called The Mets!!!!:yuck::eek::p ( huge Yankee fan here) & whenever you're looking for an address #, they all have Streets,Avenues,Roads,Places,Lanes,Boulevards!!!! :eek: All kidding aside, there is plenty to do & see, but I'm really familiar with the buses & trains, I would take a cab where ever I wanted to go.

Thanks, Ginger! Got a nice chuckle!

Are there pretty many cabs around?

I've never been to NY, but a tip I got from traveling to other areas:
find out from the Hotel or from the phone book what the phone number is for the Cab company in the area...if they aren't readily available, have the # preprogrammed into your cell-phone so you can call them when you need to.

Ginger428 said:
Don't be nervous, its safe. The 2 worst things about Queens is...#1 a thing called The Mets!!!!:yuck::eek::p ( huge Yankee fan here) & whenever you're looking for an address #, they all have Streets,Avenues,Roads,Places,Lanes,Boulevards!!!! :eek: All kidding aside, there is plenty to do & see, but I'm really familiar with the buses & trains, I would take a cab where ever I wanted to go.

I must be the only Bronxite that grew up a Met fan (oh don't get me wrong, they do suck - and have most of my life, lol).

I agree tho about the addresses in Queens.

dianevill said:
Thanks, Ginger! Got a nice chuckle!

Are there pretty many cabs around?

Yes! Also I'm sure the hotel has plenty of numbers for cabs. But taking a yellow cab these days, they have VERY strict rules for themselves ie...they have listing of everything posted on the back of their seats. DUH!! what am I thinking! You've been to Conference? Its the same thing. If you are riding alone at night, all you have to do is take his hack# & name If it will make you feel any safer. Don't worry, you'll be fine. Our reputation is ALOT worse than we really are....;)

1. Is Jamaica, NY a safe place for tourists?

Yes, Jamaica, NY is generally considered safe for tourists. While it is important to take precautions as with any other destination, the area is heavily policed and has seen a decrease in crime rates in recent years.

2. What are some safety tips for navigating Jamaica, NY?

Some safety tips for navigating Jamaica, NY include avoiding walking alone at night, staying aware of your surroundings, and using well-lit and busy streets. It is also recommended to keep your valuables out of sight and to use trusted transportation services.

3. Are there any areas in Jamaica, NY that should be avoided?

As with any city, there are certain areas in Jamaica, NY that may be less safe than others. It is best to avoid neighborhoods with high crime rates and to ask locals or hotel staff for recommendations on safe areas to visit.

4. Are there any cultural customs or norms to be aware of in Jamaica, NY?

Jamaica, NY is a diverse area with a variety of cultures represented. It is important to be respectful of different customs and norms, particularly in terms of dress and behavior in public spaces.

5. What emergency services are available in Jamaica, NY?

Jamaica, NY has a well-equipped police force and several hospitals and medical facilities in the area. In case of emergency, dial 911 for immediate assistance.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
mommyhugz1978
  • Stampaholic1961
  • National Conferences and Meetings
Replies
Views
wadesgirl
  • esavvymom
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies