• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

I've Always Wondered This.. How Can Stoneware Be 'Virtually

In summary, stoneware is a type of ceramic that is fired at high temperatures, creating a natural non-stick surface without the need for additional coatings. It is safe to use in the oven and should be cleaned with warm water and gentle soap. It is not recommended to use metal utensils on stoneware and it's best to hand wash rather than putting it in the dishwasher.
gbakes27
Gold Member
I've always wondered this.. How can stoneware be 'virtually non-pourous' but also absorb the moisture in foods so they come out crispy intead of soggy ie. frozen french fries. I have ben listeningn to aselling collections cd. It just doesn't make sense to me. How do I explain this to customers?

Re: stonewareIt's the word "virtually" in there. That means "nearly, but not completely." So there are still little pockets in the stone into which the moisture can go. I've found that using that terminology confuses customers, too. So I usually tell my customers that stoneware heats more evenly than metal or glass pans, which eliminates overcooking in the corners.

Re: stonewarethanks a lot... it was the part about the frozen french fries and how the excess moisture absorbs into the stone... still doesn't seem like that is possible if there is a 'seasones' non-stick coating baked into it... I just don't know

Re: stoneware
gbakes27 said:
thanks a lot... it was the part about the frozen french fries and how the excess moisture absorbs into the stone... still doesn't seem like that is possible if there is a 'seasones' non-stick coating baked into it... I just don't know

the way I explain this....moisture is pulled off of the fries and recirculated as steam so that there is even cooking......

Re: stonewareIt's also a difference in the clay that is used. The cheaper ones use red clay, which is very porous and breaks really, really easily because of that. The clay that PC uses is the gray clay (I think) and it's more dense, not so porous, and won't break so easily.

1. How can stoneware be 'virtually' non-stick?

Stoneware is a type of clay-based ceramic that is fired at extremely high temperatures, making it very dense and non-porous. This, combined with its rough texture, creates a natural non-stick surface without the need for additional coatings or chemicals.

2. Is stoneware safe to use in the oven?

Yes, stoneware is safe to use in the oven as it can withstand high temperatures without cracking or breaking. However, it's always important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for maximum temperature and safe handling.

3. Can I use metal utensils on stoneware?

No, it's not recommended to use metal utensils on stoneware as they can scratch and damage the surface. It's best to use wooden, silicone, or plastic utensils to preserve the non-stick properties of the stoneware.

4. How do I clean stoneware?

Stoneware is best cleaned with warm water and a gentle dish soap. Avoid using harsh scrubbers or abrasive cleaners as they can damage the surface. If there are any stubborn stains, you can soak the stoneware in warm, soapy water before cleaning.

5. Can I put stoneware in the dishwasher?

While stoneware is dishwasher safe, it's best to hand wash it to prolong its lifespan. The high heat and harsh detergents in the dishwasher can cause the stoneware to become brittle and crack over time.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Bren706
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
ShellBeach
  • RunawayChef
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
Cippia
  • ChefSandyK