• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Humor What made the 80's such a beloved decade for music, fashion, and nostalgia?

In summary, the 80s were good to me. I graduated from high school, got married & divorced, met The Furry Guy and married him, and gave birth to our baby boy. The 80's were AWESOME, spandex, mini skirts, high heels pumps and thigh high boots, leg warmers, jeans with holes in the knees, headbands and the list goes on and on. The big hair,feathered earrings. I remember waiting in line all night for Depeche Mode and U2 tickets. My Little Pony, Cabbage Patch Kids, Saturday morning kids' shows that actually made sense, MTV (the early days...you know, when they played MUSIC VIDEOS), Tiffany,
PamperedDor
Gold Member
OK - because the public (well Mere and I ) have called for it - its the WHY I LOVE THE 80's !!

Tell us your favorite 80's thing (and those born can include that - CAN'T wait to see KG's!!)

SO ONE of my favorite moments from the 80's is the music - dancing to Madonna, Culture Club, the GO Go's at the clubs - with Sergio Valenti Jeans painted on!!

Well I was born in the early 80's but my sister was older than I. I remember her getting ready, using a curling iron on her already permed hair and using a whole bottle of Aqua Net to hold it in place. She always styled it with what I called the lip bangs, half curled up, half curled down!

I had parachute pants----LOLAND LEG WARMERS!!

My Birthday of course....but BON JOVI!! I love him and as soon as my husband leaves me, I'll marry him!! J/K!

Going from a super-curly, way out there 'fro to a mullet. My math teacher remarked "She's got ears!"

The best thing about the 80's came in 1990.

My Little Pony, Cabbage Patch Kids, Saturday morning kids' shows that actually made sense, MTV (the early days...you know, when they played MUSIC VIDEOS), Tiffany, Debbie Gibson (wow, am I ever a nerd, huh?). I could think of more but I don't want to scare anyone. :)

The music - Bon Jovi!! Jeans so tight I had to turn them inside out and stand on them with one foot to get the other out-ok, maybe I don't miss that, but I do miss the size 3. Hammer pants-the total opposite.

My DD was born in 1983... I remember My Little Pony, I Love Lucy on Nick at Nite that she loved to watch, CLEAN TV!!! I loved the parachute pants because I haven't worn a size 3 since I was 4! LOL!

Katie was right about MTV - ZZ Top, Dire Straits Money for Nuthin' was a great video, as was Ah-Ha Take On Me. You can see most of them on YouTube.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
The best thing about the 80's came in 1990.

What was that KG?

my #1 all time favorite thing from the 80's(excluding myself) THE CRIMPING IRON! i still rock crimps! i still have mine from back in the day.. when i was like 3... but i loved saturday morning express i wish they still had it! and all the cool cartoons... smurfs, transformsers, barbie and the rockers, jem... man.. think my customers would mind if i had pink hair? thinking of jem makes me wanna dye it pink and crimp it!

Like, talkin' like a Valley girl! I mean, omigod! That was SO tubular!

I believe KG was referencing the end of the 80s. The 80s were good to me. I graduated from high school, got married & divorced, met The Furry Guy and married him, and gave birth to our baby boy.

The 80's were AWESOME, spandex, mini skirts, high heels pumps and thigh high boots, leg warmers, jeans with holes in the knees, headbands and the list goes on and on. The big hair,feathered earrings. I remember waiting in line all night for Depeche Mode and U2 tickets.

Hey Dor, what about the roller rink "2002"? Friday disco night and Sat rock night!!:love:

This makes me think of that email that went around awhile back with all the great things about the 80's....good stuff:cool:

sklay723 said:
My Little Pony, Cabbage Patch Kids, Saturday morning kids' shows that actually made sense, MTV (the early days...you know, when they played MUSIC VIDEOS), Tiffany, Debbie Gibson (wow, am I ever a nerd, huh?). I could think of more but I don't want to scare anyone. :)

We must have been about the same age... 'cuz these are my favs too. :) Plus, roller skating and the beloved couples skate that made you cry if you didn't have someone to skate with but your friends did. They've since torn down my old rink & built a mall. :cry:

letscook04 said:
The 80's were AWESOME, spandex, mini skirts, high heels pumps and thigh high boots, leg warmers, jeans with holes in the knees, headbands and the list goes on and on. The big hair,feathered earrings. I remember waiting in line all night for Depeche Mode and U2 tickets.

Hey Dor, what about the roller rink "2002"? Friday disco night and Sat rock night!!:love:

Coll - I LOVED that place - thinkin I was all that with my big hair, jeans, and of course the layered tops (thanks to Madonna) those black plastic bracelets - OH a BIG earrings - LOL!! Skating to Micheal Jackson's "I wanna rock with you" - We thought 2002 was so far away!!! (like Prince's song Party like its 1999!)

Don't forget WHAM!! And NKOTB :) And the countless number of hair bands LOL But what about those plastic shoes, I forget what they were called. But they hurt like the dickens LOL

raebates said:
I believe KG was referencing the end of the 80s.

The 80's is one of those decades I'd just as soon flush from my memory.

Well.... as for the last half of the 80's I would rather forget some of those years! It was a tough deccade with it containing my preteen and teen years. I was too old for my little ponies, and cabbage patch kids.

Loved the Music though! Classic Madonna, Wham, Ah-ha, Bryan Adams, Deff Leppard and best of all Bon Jovi!

I kinda miss my ripped up jeans! Mostly wish I could fit into them!

They were called Jellies...I had every color imaginable. I am also an 80's child. I remember waking up on Saturday to watch transformers and he-man. i also did the Lip bangs and i remember having stir-up pants. knotb...i wanted to marry them. LOL. mc hammer and the brat pack. LOL

letscook04 said:

U2!!! Loved U2. Still love U2, and I love Bono! Sunday, Bloody Sunday is the first video I remember watching on MTV.

Rolling up the bottoms of our tapered jeans (cuffing them) LARGE hair, Aqua Net hairspray, 80's music, cool sports cars...the Fiero, the Firebird, the Camero, The Laser, The Rx7...Ahhhh fun cars, good music, cheap gas and a taco bell menu that was 49 cents 59 cents and 69 cents for about everything they made!!

Don't forget the shirts that looked like you splattered neon paint all over them and the side pony-tail. Some of the teachers at my school are going to the NKOTB concert next week and are planning on dressing as much 80s as possible. I can't wait to see pics.

pamperedtraci said:
My Birthday of course....but BON JOVI!! I love him and as soon as my husband leaves me, I'll marry him!! J/K!

Get in line girl, John Bon Jovi is mine~ ha ha That would be when my husband leaves me OR if John shows up on my door step professing his undying love for me!!

AQUANET~ big bangs.. love the 80's hair. Maybelline electric blue and green eyeliner and macsara. We thought we were looooking gooooood!! Can't beleive my mom ever let me leave the house lookingt he way I did.

I got some 80's tunes to talk about but I gotta run for now Be back in a bit!!!!!

I so love the 80's!!!!!

Graduating high school, turning 21, getting married, getting my driver's license (um, yes, in that order), giving birth to my son.

Back to The Future, The Breakfast Club, ET, The Princess Bride, Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Cyndi Lauper - Girls Just Wanna Have Fun. Ok, really, Cyndi Lauper, period!
Michael Jackson -Thriller

Hmmm, my 14 year-old DD would be better at this! The 80's are such a haze for me (and, no, I didn't do drugs or alcohol!).

Getting married (27 years ago today!)!

Thanks so much, Becky!!!! I am sure you realize how much I treasure this day today. He got me a great card and has tried to help me do things around here today. I don't know how many more we will have that he will know.

Skating rink by far!!! Punky Bruster, Tiffany, and Paula Abdul...I was born in 1980 so the aqua net wasn't really used by me!! And we didn't get MTV, not that I would have been allowed to watch it.
Oh and who-ever mentioned He-Man...I had a dream one night that I was She-Ra...I LOVED her!!!

Jane Fonda workout tapes (my mom had them all)
super big earrings

big shirts w/ the belt that went around your waist and make sure you flare it out...

polo shirts w/ the neck part pulled up instead of worn down like you are supposed to

Hair Mousse (never understood what it was for!)

leg warmers

Flashdance shirts that my mom and I cut the neck out of and then wore tank tops underneath...we were way cool...

Footloose, Breakfast Club, Ferris Bueller

Christian Slater and Heathers (he is so dreamy)

My first concert- Springsteen

Like Cola

Rubiks Cube

Beta VCR (yes, we had one)

Atari

Cosby Show, Family Ties

I'm sure there's so much more, this is just off the top of my head! I LOVE the 80's...

When i was a kid i thought that he man and she ra should be married...then i found out that they were brother and sister seperated at birth...talk about the YUCK factor.

pamperedharriet said:
Thanks so much, Becky!!!! I am sure you realize how much I treasure this day today. He got me a great card and has tried to help me do things around here today. I don't know how many more we will have that he will know.

Every special time is bittersweet, isn't it?

I'm glad it was a good day!

Rick Springfield, Def Lepoard and Journey ( saw them again in concert 2 years ago and it was like the 80's came alive again) Don't Stop Believing~ The 80's ROCK!!
I saw Rick Springfield about 8 years ago in Vegas... love me some Rick Springfield!!!

Anyone remmber the store Units? You could buy different pieces in different colors, mix and match. They were all in these bins and it was all rage. What about the neon clothes stage. I was cracking up about the pinned jeans, that was SOOOO wrong Kacey!! My son and I were looking at old pictures and he was cracking up at my out pinned and rolled up jeans. OH what about the leggings with the shorts~ or wa that the 90's?? not sure but that was wayyy wrong.
I could go on and on about the 80's~ rock on Dor for starting this thread.

Meredith I am so with you about the Rick Springfield thing, It was my 1st concert that I went to when I was in 6th grade when he was on general Hosp. Sure do miss those days!

pamperedharriet said:
Getting married (27 years ago today!)!

Happy Anniversary Harriet!!!!! Here is to 27 wonderful years more!!!!! (and then some!)

ok - for us 80 lovers - XM on 8 - awesome channel on your radio if you have XM -

hmmm - DD went to a party at college - 80's theme - Guys were Tom Cruise from Risky Business (hopefully not that underwear scene - well, I liked it but not for my 19 year old now!!) She did the Madonna look/ Flashdance look -

merego said:
Rick Springfield, Def Lepoard and Journey ( saw them again in concert 2 years ago and it was like the 80's came alive again) Don't Stop Believing~ The 80's ROCK!!
I saw Rick Springfield about 8 years ago in Vegas... love me some Rick Springfield!!!

Anyone remmber the store Units? You could buy different pieces in different colors, mix and match. They were all in these bins and it was all rage. What about the neon clothes stage. I was cracking up about the pinned jeans, that was SOOOO wrong Kacey!! My son and I were looking at old pictures and he was cracking up at my out pinned and rolled up jeans. OH what about the leggings with the shorts~ or wa that the 90's?? not sure but that was wayyy wrong.

Oh fer sure Mere - Like Totally!!! Like Oh my God - its so Tubular - Fer sure! Like do you think that Luke and Laura will really get married? LOL -

HOW funny is it that OUR songs are now being re-made - Are we really turning into our parents?????????????

ChefBeckyD said:
U2!!! Loved U2. Still love U2, and I love Bono! Sunday, Bloody Sunday is the first video I remember watching on MTV.

Ditto!!:) Bono is still sexy!! lol

PamperedDor said:
Oh fer sure Mere - Like Totally!!! Like Oh my God - its so Tubular - Fer sure! Like do you think that Luke and Laura will really get married? LOL -

HOW funny is it that OUR songs are now being re-made - Are we really turning into our parents?????????????

We took Kyle to Def Lepoard/Motley Crue and he said "our people" are whack.
Remember Demi More was on GH as Jackie Templeton and John Stamos was Blackie. Rick is still rocking on on GH every so often. We went to the rollerrink ( with our combs in our back packets and our Jordache and Gloria Vanderbilt jeans then ate at Mr. Ghatti's pizza afterwards and watched the boys play Pac-Man and Donkey Kong. We were living large~ ha ha
I remember the slow skate and we would skate holdin a boys hand and we thought we were so cool with our big aquanet hair, jordache jean wearin, maybelline monster look.
Oh the jellies, those were so wrong and the blue suede clogs we wore with our uniforms and they so didn't match, but we didn't care because we were cool!!!:cool::cool::cool:

merego said:

Journey I saw them in 1983!! I did a PC show around 3 years ago and that song came on "Don't Stop Believing" three of the girls started singing and yelling how much they LOVED that song. I told them that I saw them in concert back in 1983. They all looked at me like I had three heads. They could not believe that I was that old. LOL
PS they were in their early 20's.

letscook04 said:
Journey I saw them in 1983!! I did a PC show around 3 years ago and that song came on "Don't Stop Believing" three of the girls started singing and yelling how much they LOVED that song. I told them that I saw them in concert back in 1983. They all looked at me like I had three heads. They could not believe that I was that old. LOL

Ha, at the mom/son dance they played alot of 80's music and the moms were all dancing and the sons were all completley horrified. Every since Family Guy had that episode where they did the kareoke (SP) and they sang don't stop belieiving, I noticed some of my sons and his friends downloaded the song on their ipods and I would catch them singing it. If Family Guy can do it, then it's cool, but we do it and we are aliens ( like ALF~ remember him) from anotehr planet. We saw Styx and Foreigner too, we went to a bunch of those 80's tours the past few years.
Domo arigato, mr. roboto, domo...domo
Thank you very much, mr. roboto
For doing the jobs that nobody wants to
And thank you very much, mr. roboto
For helping me escape just when i needed to
Thank you-thank you, thank you
I want to thank you, please, thank you

My son asked me why girls were dancing like strippers to pour some sugar on me? hello... it's like a total stripper song~ ha, I didn't tell him that, although at 16 I'm sure he figured it out.

oh oh and XANADU, anyone love Xanadu????

merego said:

Ha, at the mom/son dance they played alot of 80's music and the moms were all dancing and the sons were all completley horrified. Every since Family Guy had that episode where they did the kareoke (SP) and they sang don't stop belieiving, I noticed some of my sons and his friends downloaded the song on their ipods and I would catch them singing it. If Family Guy can do it, then it's cool, but we do it and we are aliens ( like ALF~ remember him) from anotehr planet. We saw Styx and Foreigner too, we went to a bunch of those 80's tours the past few years.
Thank you very much, mr. roboto
For doing the jobs that nobody wants to
And thank you very much, mr. roboto
For helping me escape just when i needed to
Thank you-thank you, thank you
I want to thank you, please, thank you

My son asked me why girls were dancing like strippers to pour some sugar on me? hello... it's like a total stripper song~ ha, I didn't tell him that, although at 16 I'm sure he figured it out.

oh oh and XANADU, anyone love Xanadu????

Now I have that song stuck in my head! LOL
Styx and Foreigner just played in my area last year, but I would not see them with out Tommy Shaw!! Just like Journey with out Steve Perry! LOL

How about watching everyday General Hospital with Luke and Laura! I don't currently watch it now, but I am sure you could catch up pretty fast, I hear alot of the same characters have returned like always!

Yup - Luke and Laura on are again - Dr Drake sometimes - Anna Scorpio -

LOL - I still watch it 30 years later -

Demi Moore played Jackie Templeton on GH all those years ago and John Stamos ( yummmm) as Blackie.

oh and I still watch GH everyday. I tivo it and watch it when I can, but I still love it.

8 tracks!

I'll list more later...

letscook04 said:

i just saw journey in september with cheap trick & heart.
i was born in 1986 so i was just a toddler when the 80's were over.
but you better believe i knew every song journey, cheap trick & heart played.
i obviously never saw steve perry play with journey but it was a little weird seeing the new lead singer on the stage. it was like watching the best karaoke act ive ever seen. haha.

ragschef said:
8 tracks!

I'll list more later...

8 tracks were like the 70's - we had CASSETTES!!! ( oh so much cooler!) Fer sure!

<h2>1. What made the 80's such a beloved decade for music, fashion, and nostalgia?</h2><p>The 80's was a decade of bold and innovative music, fashion, and pop culture that captivated the hearts of many. The rise of MTV and music videos allowed for a visual representation of the music, making it even more exciting and memorable. Additionally, the fashion of the 80's was all about being daring and making a statement with bright colors, bold prints, and unique styles. Nostalgia for the 80's also stems from the fact that it was a time of technological advancements and economic prosperity, making it a symbol of simpler and more carefree times.</p><h2>2. What are some of the most iconic 80's fashion trends?</h2><p>The 80's was a decade of bold and eccentric fashion choices. Some of the most iconic trends included shoulder pads, leg warmers, acid wash jeans, oversized blazers, and neon colors. The punk and new wave movement also influenced fashion with elements like leather jackets, studded accessories, and ripped clothing. And who could forget the iconic combination of teased hair, headbands, and scrunchies?</p><h2>3. What were some of the most popular 80's music genres and artists?</h2><p>The 80's saw the rise of various music genres, including pop, rock, new wave, hip hop, and electronic music. Some of the most beloved artists of the decade were Madonna, Michael Jackson, Prince, Whitney Houston, and Duran Duran. The decade also saw the emergence of iconic bands like U2, Guns N' Roses, and Bon Jovi.</p><h2>4. How did technology play a role in the 80's pop culture?</h2><p>The 80's was a time of rapid technological advancements, especially in the entertainment industry. The introduction of MTV and music videos revolutionized the way music was consumed and promoted. The rise of home computers and video game consoles also changed the way people spent their leisure time. Additionally, the 80's saw the first mobile phones and the introduction of CDs as a new form of music media.</p><h2>5. What are some of your favorite 80's memories?</h2><p>My favorite 80's memories include dancing to Madonna, Culture Club, and the Go-Go's at the clubs with my friends. I also remember the excitement of getting my first Walkman and listening to my favorite cassette tapes on repeat. And of course, the fashion of the 80's is something that will always hold a special place in my heart, from the bold colors and prints to the iconic hair and makeup trends.</p>

1. What made the 80's such a beloved decade for music, fashion, and nostalgia?

The 80's was a decade of bold and innovative music, fashion, and pop culture that captivated the hearts of many. The rise of MTV and music videos allowed for a visual representation of the music, making it even more exciting and memorable. Additionally, the fashion of the 80's was all about being daring and making a statement with bright colors, bold prints, and unique styles. Nostalgia for the 80's also stems from the fact that it was a time of technological advancements and economic prosperity, making it a symbol of simpler and more carefree times.

2. What are some of the most iconic 80's fashion trends?

The 80's was a decade of bold and eccentric fashion choices. Some of the most iconic trends included shoulder pads, leg warmers, acid wash jeans, oversized blazers, and neon colors. The punk and new wave movement also influenced fashion with elements like leather jackets, studded accessories, and ripped clothing. And who could forget the iconic combination of teased hair, headbands, and scrunchies?

3. What were some of the most popular 80's music genres and artists?

The 80's saw the rise of various music genres, including pop, rock, new wave, hip hop, and electronic music. Some of the most beloved artists of the decade were Madonna, Michael Jackson, Prince, Whitney Houston, and Duran Duran. The decade also saw the emergence of iconic bands like U2, Guns N' Roses, and Bon Jovi.

4. How did technology play a role in the 80's pop culture?

The 80's was a time of rapid technological advancements, especially in the entertainment industry. The introduction of MTV and music videos revolutionized the way music was consumed and promoted. The rise of home computers and video game consoles also changed the way people spent their leisure time. Additionally, the 80's saw the first mobile phones and the introduction of CDs as a new form of music media.

5. What are some of your favorite 80's memories?

My favorite 80's memories include dancing to Madonna, Culture Club, and the Go-Go's at the clubs with my friends. I also remember the excitement of getting my first Walkman and listening to my favorite cassette tapes on repeat. And of course, the fashion of the 80's is something that will always hold a special place in my heart, from the bold colors and prints to the iconic hair and makeup trends.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• tlag1986
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Crystal Patton
  • Addie4TLC
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Addie4TLC
  • pchefkristin