• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Help Support Our Scouts and Their Trip to D.C. with Popcorn Fundraiser!

In summary, the Boy Scouts are selling popcorn for $16 per container and 70% of the proceeds go to the troop. Parental advice on how to make this work for them without the parent doing all the work is given.
esavvymom
Staff member
So, how many of you have to face those fundraiser-kids every year, or you have them for your kids each year for school?

This will be our first year- our boys are in Cub Scouts and are starting Popcorn sales tomorrow. I'm glad they aren't too concerned about all the prize levels. Yes- they'll gladly accept any prize, but aren't going "I want that scooter!" and plan on dragging me all over kingdom-come to get it!

But I'm sort of dreading this- at least the door-to-door part. Their "script" is really long (my kids are on the younger side of the scouts)...so not sure who's going to be saying most of the information. Guessing it will be ME. :(

any parental-unit advice on how to make this work for them without me doing all the work??

*By the way- if anyone wants to buy some popcorn to support the Scouts and help my kids go to D.C.- just let me know! :D I just set up their websites!*

When selling the popcorn, are your sales going to take $ off your sons payment or does it go into a fund for the whole troop?
Before I became a PC consultant, my daughter was going to Europe with Peope to People Student Ambassador. I held a PC fundraiser and it helped go towards the payment for the trip.
At my local grocer there were boy scouts selling popcorn. It was like $16.oo,
OMG. I usually always buy to help out, but I thought that was crazy.

Yeah. 70% of the monies from the sale go to our Pack for their activities, and if enough, towards a trip to Wash. D.C next year.
I've never seen the Boy Scouts or Cub Scouts selling anything. It's always Girl Scouts. Watching the video just now, it looks like they are pretty good size containers though! I was surprised. We'll know more tomorrow- it's our first Store-front selling day.Just like any fundraiser (except PC!), there is that lovely markup!

We just got a fundraising packet home from our daughters elementary school, its Sally Foster she saw some ipod player thing and called my parents to ask if they would buy something from her because that was what she watned to earn and my dad said why don't I just buy you the ipod, it would be cheaper!

esavvymom said:
Yeah. 70% of the monies from the sale go to our Pack for their activities, and if enough, towards a trip to Wash. D.C next year.
I've never seen the Boy Scouts or Cub Scouts selling anything. It's always Girl Scouts. Watching the video just now, it looks like they are pretty good size containers though! I was surprised. We'll know more tomorrow- it's our first Store-front selling day.

Just like any fundraiser (except PC!), there is that lovely markup!

Really? They must have gotten bigger than what I bought last year, then.

Wow! 70% is great. I would reccomend letting everyone know it. It would encourage more people to buy. At our local supermarket there is ALWAYS an organization selling something. Boy/girl scouts, school functions, every sport team........ I hate to say it but a lot of the school fundraisers are not worth it. Good luck making $ for D.C.

LOL....That's funny about grandpa saying it would be cheaper to buy the ipod...I'd agree. But I guess it's good for the kids to try to earn their prize too. The satisfaction in 'earning' it, versus someone just buying it. Maybe grandpa can fill in for Christmas- if she doesn't earn it. :D Personally, I don't relish the idea of going to Wash. D.C with 75+ other Cub Scouts and their siblings and parents (Cub Scouts- is a family thing)!! Doesn't sound like much fun to me, but I'm a prude! :D I'd rather go ourselves.

esavvymom said:
LOL....That's funny about grandpa saying it would be cheaper to buy the ipod...I'd agree. But I guess it's good for the kids to try to earn their prize too. The satisfaction in 'earning' it, versus someone just buying it. Maybe grandpa can fill in for Christmas- if she doesn't earn it. :D

Well she is only 7 and as far as Dad and I are concerned she is not nearly responsible enough for an ipod. I don't see the necessity in a kid her age having one, she isn't allowed on the computer unless playing a game that we have set up for her and then she has to ask permission. Maybe in another 7 years we will consider it!!!

Ah yes.....tis the season to be fundraising! So far this week, I've bought Joe Corbi Pizzas for chorus, oranges for band, some kinda braid thing for the Crop Walk, and 2 boyscouts in my class hit me for popcorn which they will be selling next week. Also, one girl scout said it's about time to order nuts! If I buy any more, I'll have to have my own fundraiser.

Girl Scouts sell nuts now?? Good gracious!

My 5 year old came home with this HUGE fundraiser packet of outrageously over-priced candy and other junk. He's been in school all of two weeks, and he's supposed to be doing a fundraiser? I don't think so. The "prizes" are mostly cheapy little things, and they work these little ones into a frenzy about earning them. Oh - and there is absolutely no explanation of what the FR is even for.

DH and I decided that he is too little to be doing a fundraiser. And neither of us has the time or inclination to be doing it for him. So, we're taking a pass.

ChefBeckyD said:
My 5 year old came home with this HUGE fundraiser packet of outrageously over-priced candy and other junk. He's been in school all of two weeks, and he's supposed to be doing a fundraiser? I don't think so. The "prizes" are mostly cheapy little things, and they work these little ones into a frenzy about earning them. Oh - and there is absolutely no explanation of what the FR is even for.

DH and I decided that he is too little to be doing a fundraiser. And neither of us has the time or inclination to be doing it for him. So, we're taking a pass.

Wow....Good for you!

My DH was saying his sister's kids had the same thing. 2 weeks and they were already doing FRs, and she didn't know what it was for either. She didn't even bother telling us about it this year (we are out of state). Schools are just competing with each other- so maybe that's why they are starting so soon...plus, with funding being tight these days, they are really needing all the fundraising money they can get. I recently read on a local High School's website that their Booster Club is expecting much less membership or donations- so are really relying on fundraisers, etc.

Doesn't make it enjoyable for the parents they 'guilt' into doing this! Especially by dangling carrots in front of the kids! Thankfully, my kids aren't too bothered by the prizes- yes, they want a few things, but aren't too concerned. They will at least get a patch for selling even just 1 item! (which I know at least a few things will get sold by family/neighbors, and me :D).

I'm a 'green-parent' when it comes to fundraiser...so it's all new to me. I've always been the one they came to asking to buy!

esavvymom said:
Girl Scouts sell nuts now?? Good gracious!

Yes they do along with these awesome Malted Milk Balls and Chocolate Covered Raisins (which are probably the best I've ever had - tons of chocolate and huge raisins - yum!) At least in our area - those are some of the other items besides the different nuts.

I have 3 kids in 3 different schools - my high school orchestra student will be selling cheesecakes, cookie dough, and wreaths for Christmas. My 7th grader has a magazine fundraiser - his middle school gets 40% of the sales - I just renew my magazines every year through him and they get really decent prices. My daughter is in Brownies - so they do nut sales in the fall and cookies in the winter - hers are easy to sell as most people like cookies! Plus her elementary school has a big fundraiser for parents in the fall and their fun fair in the spring - having been school treasurer - it's really amazing to see how much $ comes in and how it benefits the students directly. I have a new appreciation for all the fundraising although it does feel like it's constant.

my parents used to write a check to whatever organization was holding the fundraiser, and then washed their hands of selling stuff. We weren't allowed to take the selling sheets to church nor would my dad take them to work. So we were limited to what we could get going door to door, and they were not almighty keen on that either.

I know that one. Our company got so sick to death of those things all over the office that they totally banned everyone from passing them around. We can leave stuff in our break room but nowhere else. I used to spend a fortune on pizzas and all that other crap before I realized that the same people I was buying from, did not buy from me. I will only return a sale for a sale now and everyone knows it. It is only fair! Besides, the mark up is SO ridiculous on all that stuff.

My son's preschool just sent them home last week (only 4th day of class) with those $25 Kids Stuff coupon books. They have never done a fundraiser before, and I'm kind of sad that they've joined in the fundraising bandwagon. They raised our tuition rates and so I don't understand what they need the fundraiser for. There was no letter explaining what they are intending to use the money for, so I'm not going to go crazy selling them.The trouble w/ fundraisers are that EVERYONE is doing them. I get a kid at my door every week selling me stuff. I cannot afford to buy something for every kid in my neighborhood, adjoining neighborhood, nieces and nephews, plus my own kids stuff. It's absolutely ridiculous!

The bonus of living in the country with only my MIL & FIL being my neighbors is that I've only been asked by 2 kids to buy something.

JFL selling Little Caesar's pizza kits & my nephew selling for cub scouts

babywings76 said:
My son's preschool just sent them home last week (only 4th day of class) with those $25 Kids Stuff coupon books. They have never done a fundraiser before, and I'm kind of sad that they've joined in the fundraising bandwagon. They raised our tuition rates and so I don't understand what they need the fundraiser for. There was no letter explaining what they are intending to use the money for, so I'm not going to go crazy selling them.

The trouble w/ fundraisers are that EVERYONE is doing them. I get a kid at my door every week selling me stuff. I cannot afford to buy something for every kid in my neighborhood, adjoining neighborhood, nieces and nephews, plus my own kids stuff. It's absolutely ridiculous!

I totally hear you on this! I never sell stuff door to door for this reason. Luckily, our elementary school does a big 5K Run/1 Mile Walk every year and raises TONS of money, enough to cover the budget for the whole year, send some to a school we built in Africa, and have money left over to buy new computers, etc.! It's a huge school with a lot of SAHMs who run the fundraiser every year, and it's a big fun day for the entire community, and SO much better than having to sell junk that's overpriced door to door. I cringe every time I see an email from my SIL that her son is having another wrapping paper fundraiser - $7 for a tiny square of wrapping paper that is gone in 2 gifts?!? No thanks!!

cathyskitchen said:
I totally hear you on this! I never sell stuff door to door for this reason. Luckily, our elementary school does a big 5K Run/1 Mile Walk every year and raises TONS of money, enough to cover the budget for the whole year, send some to a school we built in Africa, and have money left over to buy new computers, etc.! It's a huge school with a lot of SAHMs who run the fundraiser every year, and it's a big fun day for the entire community, and SO much better than having to sell junk that's overpriced door to door. I cringe every time I see an email from my SIL that her son is having another wrapping paper fundraiser - $7 for a tiny square of wrapping paper that is gone in 2 gifts?!? No thanks!!

That's a great idea!! I should pose that to our Pack for this spring. Our church (where the pack is), has a huge Sports ministry. This would be a great possibility.

I'm not planning on taking the boys around door-to-door too much...mostly just people we know. They have already hit the 2nd or 3rd level just by doing a store-front this weekend. They'll be thrilled with that! *phew!*

What is "It's Our Turn Now!"?

"It's Our Turn Now!" is a campaign by Pampered Chef that aims to empower women and give them the opportunity to take control of their lives and achieve their goals.

How can I participate in "It's Our Turn Now!"?

There are several ways you can participate in "It's Our Turn Now!" You can attend our workshops and events, follow us on social media, and join our community of like-minded women who are all striving for success.

What kind of workshops and events are offered through "It's Our Turn Now!"?

We offer a variety of workshops and events that cover topics such as goal setting, time management, self-care, and entrepreneurship. These workshops are designed to provide practical tools and strategies for personal and professional growth.

Is there a cost to participate in "It's Our Turn Now!"?

No, there is no cost to participate in "It's Our Turn Now!" All of our workshops and events are free of charge. We believe in providing access to resources and support for women who are looking to improve their lives.

Can men participate in "It's Our Turn Now!"?

While our campaign is primarily focused on empowering women, men are more than welcome to attend our workshops and events. We believe that everyone can benefit from the knowledge and tools we provide.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
scottcooks
  • esavvymom
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Shari in TX
  • esavvymom
  • General Chat
Replies