• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Looking for a Fresh Ingredients Shepard's Pie Recipe for Microwave?

In summary, the conversation is about finding a Shepherd's Pie recipe that can be made in the DCB using fresh or frozen ingredients instead of canned. The suggested recipe uses ground beef, onion, garlic, vegetables, and beef gravy as the meat filling, topped with mashed potatoes and cheese. The conversation also includes suggestions for personal variations of the recipe, such as using homemade gravy and cooking the ground beef in a micro-cooker. The suggested recipe is from Alton Brown and uses ground lamb as the main protein.
cmdtrgd
Gold Member
I'm looking for a Shepard's Pie recipe that can be done in the DCB. Here's the catch, Husband likes fresh or frozen food, not canned....unless it is home canned, but that's another post...I want to start with as fresh as possible items and then microwave it. I know, that can sound weird, but faster cooking might be ok for him. I just don't have a good recipe that doesn't use cream of something soup!

from Main Dishes cookbook...Shepherd's Pie2 cups browned ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 tspn veg oil
1 pressed garlic clove
1/2 tspn salt
1/2 tspn dried thyme
1/4 tspn black pepper
2 cups froz. veggies
1 jar 12 oz. beef gravy
4 servings (about 2 cups) instant mashed potatoes
2 oz. shredded cheddarChop onion - press garlic - saute in oil 2-3 minutes until clarified. Add veggies and gravy to pan, add cooked ground beef. Bring to a boil - spoon into DCBPrepare potatoes according to package directions. Apply into EZ Accent Decorator, pipe on top of meat mixture in DCB. Sprinkle half of cheddar over potatoes. Bake 25-30 mins or until thoroughly heated. Shred remaining cheese and allow to stand 5 minutes before serving.

Scott - this could work! I just need to make my own gravy (can't stand the prepared ones!) and I'll see how long it would need in the micro - thanks!Anny other suggestions - keep them coming!

I cook my ground beef with the micro-cooker....add my onion and gravy...pour into DCB. I also use the micro-cooker to steam my corn (fresh or frozen veggie of choice) with butter and pour over the meat. Lastly, I "boil" H2O (3 1/2m in micro) in my classic batter bowl if using instant potatoes, or I cook chopped potatoes in micro 11m with some H2o, butter and milk in BB and mash up with Mix N Chop. Pour over corn and top with cheddar cheese. I personally like it finished off in the oven (about 20-25m)...but you can also just heat through in micro.

My DH loves Shepard's Pie....going to try it this weekend.

I use Alton Brown's recipe (except iI use ground beef and beef broth instead of the lamb)

Shepherd's Pie Recipe : Alton Brown : Food Network

Ingredients
For the potatoes:
1 1/2 pounds russet potatoes
1/4 cup half-and-half
2 ounces unsalted butter
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 egg yolk

For the meat filling:
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 cup chopped onion
2 carrots, peeled and diced small
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 pounds ground lamb
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons tomato paste
1 cup chicken broth
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons freshly chopped rosemary leaves
1 teaspoon freshly chopped thyme leaves
1/2 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
1/2 cup fresh or frozen English peas

Directions
Peel the potatoes and cut into 1/2-inch dice. Place in a medium saucepan and cover with cold water. Set over high heat, cover and bring to a boil. Once boiling, uncover, decrease the heat to maintain a simmer and cook until tender and easily crushed with tongs, approximately 10 to 15 minutes. Place the half-and-half and butter into a microwave-safe container and heat in the microwave until warmed through, about 35 seconds. Drain the potatoes in a colander and then return to the saucepan. Mash the potatoes and then add the half and half, butter, salt and pepper and continue to mash until smooth. Stir in the yolk until well combined.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

While the potatoes are cooking, prepare the filling. Place the canola oil into a 12-inch saute pan and set over medium high heat. Once the oil shimmers, add the onion and carrots and saute just until they begin to take on color, approximately 3 to 4 minutes. Add the garlic and stir to combine. Add the lamb, salt and pepper and cook until browned and cooked through, approximately 3 minutes. Sprinkle the meat with the flour and toss to coat, continuing to cook for another minute. Add the tomato paste, chicken broth, Worcestershire, rosemary, thyme, and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer slowly 10 to 12 minutes or until the sauce is thickened slightly.

Add the corn and peas to the lamb mixture and spread evenly into an 11 by 7-inch glass baking dish. Top with the mashed potatoes, starting around the edges to create a seal to prevent the mixture from bubbling up and smooth with a rubber spatula. Place on a parchment lined half sheet pan on the middle rack of the oven and bake for 25 minutes or just until the potatoes begin to brown. Remove to a cooling rack for at least 15 minutes before serving.

What are the ingredients for the Iso-Shepard's Pie recipe?

The ingredients for the Iso-Shepard's Pie recipe include ground beef, onions, carrots, peas, corn, mashed potatoes, cheese, and seasonings.

How do I make the Iso-Shepard's Pie?

To make the Iso-Shepard's Pie, you will first cook the ground beef and onions in a skillet until the beef is browned. Then, add in the carrots, peas, corn, and seasonings and cook until the vegetables are tender. Spread the mixture into a baking dish and top with mashed potatoes. Bake in the oven until the potatoes are golden brown and the filling is heated through. Sprinkle with cheese before serving.

Can I use a different type of meat for the Iso-Shepard's Pie?

Yes, you can use ground turkey or ground chicken instead of ground beef for a healthier option. You can also make a vegetarian version by substituting the meat with tofu or lentils.

How can I make the mashed potatoes for the Iso-Shepard's Pie?

You can make the mashed potatoes from scratch by boiling and mashing potatoes with butter, milk, and seasonings. Alternatively, you can use store-bought mashed potatoes for a quicker option.

Can I freeze the Iso-Shepard's Pie?

Yes, you can freeze the Iso-Shepard's Pie before or after baking. If freezing before baking, assemble the pie and cover tightly with foil before placing it in the freezer. When ready to bake, thaw in the fridge overnight and bake as directed. If freezing after baking, let the pie cool completely before wrapping it tightly with foil and placing it in the freezer. Thaw in the fridge overnight and reheat in the oven until heated through.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kristina16marie
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
kristina16marie
  • AmyDare
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
Amanda Goode
  • leftymac