• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Iso - Chocolate Covered Coffee Bean Recipe

In summary, the recipe suggests melting chocolate and adding coffee beans, then coating the beans with the chocolate.
cgreen
I have found several simple ones that that basically say to melt chocolate, add beans, let sit. I tried one and it did not work very well-- the chocolate just didn't get hard and candy-like, and the coating was a little thin. Another one, the coating was thicker but still not hard. I think there must be more to it.

Does anyone have a tried and true recipe for chocolate candy coating that does the nice, hard finish?

Thanks in advance.

I have this from a good friend of mine who owns a coffee roasting comapny here in Portland Oregon. Maybe this will help you out..

Chocolate Covered Espresso Beans

1) Coffee bean "bark"
1. Place darkly roast coffee beans (dark beans offer better contrast to the coffee) on a waxpaper-covered baking sheet; spread them out as evenly as possibly. In the case of whole beans, it is best if they do not touch (remove some if necessary). Whole beans can be used, as well as crushed (with a rolling pin, mortar and pestle, etc.), or ground.
2. Melt semi- or bittersweet chocolate in a double boiler or microwave oven. Do not overheat; remove when small pieces of chocolate remain and stir to until they melt.The better quality chocolate you use (e.g., Callebaut, Guittard, etc.) the better the resultant product.
3. Evenly pour the chocolate over the beans.If you use a heat-proof spatula to spread the chocolate, be careful not to lump the coffee pieces together while spreading.
4. To speed hardening, the sheet can be placed in the fridge or freezer. If you do so, you should tightly cover the beans, since refrigerators and freezers contain many other undesirable odors.
5. Break the chocolate into pieces.

2) Molded chocolate
You can find chocolate molds at candymaking or quality kitchen shops. Alternatively, many large discount stores sell rubber ice cube trays with small, shaped depressions (though these may impart an off-flavor to the chocolate).

Melt the chocolate as above and fill each mold slightly less than halfway (or less, if the molds are small) . Place one or more beans into each mold, then top off with chocolate. Pop out the molds when the chocolate has fully hardened.

You can also coat the molds with cocoa powder before pouring in the chocolate.

3) Individual beans
Pour a handful of beans into the melted chocolate, and mix until they are coated. Remove them one by one with a fork and place them onto waxed paper. Note that special dipping forks are sold by candymaking suppliers.

A note on tempering chocolate.
Tempered chocolate, which has been heated and cooled in a prescribed manner, will have the best appearance and texture in the finished product. Briefly described, the process is as follows:
1) use a good quality chocolate (chocolate with too low a butterfat content, or with too many adjuncts, will cause the process to fail), and work with a pound or so at a time.
2) chop it up finely. You will also need a double boiler and a thermometer that displays a range from at least 60 to 150 degrees Fahrenheit, in one degree increments. A microwave can also be used, but you must work very carefully not to overheat the chocolate. Do not wait for all of the chocolate to melt: you will likely have overheated it.
3) Put one quarter (i.e., one-quarter pound) of the chopped chocolate in the top pot of a double boiler. The bottom pot should contain 140 degree F. water, no higher than the fill line. Stirring constantly with a rubber spatula (scraping down the sides), allow the chocolate to almost completely melt, then add another quarter of the chocolate. Repeat until all of the chocolate is melted and smooth.
4) Pour out the hot water and replace it with water at around 65 degrees F. Stirring constantly, allow the chocolate to cool to 85 degrees F.
5). Pour out the cool water and replace with 100 degree F. water; bring the chocolate up to 89 degrees F., but no higher; it is ready to use. If you need to keep the chocolate at this temperature (i.e., for dipping rather than molding, fill the bottom with 90 degree water.

Do not allow any water to get into the chocolate, or it will seize and become useless. Do not allow condensation from the lower pot to get into the chocolate, and do not get any water on the spatula.

Thanks! I will try this weekend... the tempering information helps alot-- there was one recipe that said to temper the chocolate, but made it sound way more complicated.

oooooh, who is the coffee company? I live in Portland :) well...Milwaukie, but same diff :)

cgreen said:
Thanks! I will try this weekend... the tempering information helps alot-- there was one recipe that said to temper the chocolate, but made it sound way more complicated.

I hate it when the easy stuff sounds harder then it really is...LOL

pamperedchefjunkie said:
oooooh, who is the coffee company? I live in Portland :) well...Milwaukie, but same diff :)

Longfellow, but she private labels under a different company name

I think the coffee beans you usually get in a store are often too crunchy and hard- try to find ones that are really darkly roasted, or roast them a bit more in a pan or the oven (I like to be able to eat them without getting big coffee bits in my teeth)- I like the texture of the beans when they are almost burnt (but not quite)

Hi there! I'm sorry to hear that the recipes you've tried for chocolate-covered coffee beans haven't worked out for you. I have a recipe that I've used many times and it always turns out perfectly with a nice, hard finish. Here's what you'll need:- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup roasted coffee beans1. In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the chocolate chips and vegetable oil together. Start with 30 seconds, then stir, and continue microwaving in 15-second intervals until the chocolate is completely melted and smooth.
2. Add the roasted coffee beans to the melted chocolate and stir until all the beans are coated.
3. Using a fork, scoop out the coated coffee beans one by one and place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
4. Once all the beans are on the baking sheet, place it in the fridge for about 15 minutes to allow the chocolate to harden.
5. Once hardened, remove the beans from the fridge and store them in an airtight container.I hope this recipe works out for you! Let me know if you have any other questions. Happy cooking!

What ingredients are needed for the Iso - Chocolate Covered Coffee Bean Recipe?

The ingredients for this recipe are 1 cup of chocolate chips, 1 tablespoon of coconut oil, and 1 cup of whole coffee beans.

What is the process for making the Iso - Chocolate Covered Coffee Bean Recipe?

To make this recipe, first melt the chocolate chips and coconut oil in a double boiler. Once melted, add in the coffee beans and stir until they are fully coated. Use a fork to remove the coffee beans from the chocolate and place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Let them cool and harden before serving.

Can I use any type of chocolate for this recipe?

Yes, you can use any type of chocolate for this recipe, such as dark, milk, or white chocolate. Just make sure to use high-quality chocolate for the best results.

Can I add any additional ingredients to the Iso - Chocolate Covered Coffee Bean Recipe?

Yes, you can add in additional ingredients such as sprinkles, sea salt, or chopped nuts for added flavor and texture.

How should I store the Iso - Chocolate Covered Coffee Bean Recipe?

The chocolate covered coffee beans can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks. You can also store them in the refrigerator for a longer shelf life.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ChefSandyK
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • its_me_susan
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
Shari'sKitchen
  • thechefofnorthbend