• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Are Raisins and Grapes Harmful to Dogs?

I received this, and I am not one to pass things on, but it got me to thinking, my dog eats anything and I am almost certain he had eaten in the past raisin's before box and all????? I was going to Google it and wanted to see what you guys thought.In summary, the conversation discusses a case of raisin toxicity in a dog, as well as the potential dangers of other common household items such as onions, chocolate, and macadamia nuts. The participants also mention the importance of being aware of toxic substances for pets and using caution in what is given to them as treats. They also mention the usefulness of online resources and previous discussions on the topic.
jwagner75
I received this, and I am not one to pass things on, but it got me to thinking, my dog eats anything and I am almost certain he had eaten in the past raisin's before box and all????? I was going to Google it and wanted to see what you guys thought.

If you have a dog ... PLEASE read
this and send it on. If you don't
have a dog, please pass along
to friends who do.

Written by:
Laurinda Morris, DVM
Danville Veterinary Clinic
Danville , OH

This week I had the first case in history of
raisin toxicity ever seen at MedVet. My
patient was a 56-pound, 5 yr old male
neutered lab mix that ate half a canister of
raisins sometime between 7:30 AM and 4:30
PM on Tuesday. He started with vomiting,
diarrhea and shaking about 1AM on
Wednesday but the owner didn't call my
emergency service until 7A M.

I had heard somewhere about raisins AND
grapes causing acute Renal failure but
hadn't seen any formal paper on the subject.
We had her bring the dog in immediately.
In the meantime, I called the ER service at
MedVet, and the doctor there was like me?
had heard something about it, but
Anyway, we contacted the ASPCA National
Animal Poison Control Center and they said
to give IV fluids at 1 & 1/2 times maintenance
and watch the kidney values for the next
48-72 hours.

The dog's BUN (blood urea nitrogen level)
was already at 32 (normal less than 27) and
creatinine over 5 (1.9 is the high end of
normal). Both are monitors of kidney
function in the bloodstream. We placed an
IV catheter and started the fluids.
Rechecked the renal values at 5 PM and the
BUN was over 40 and creatinine over 7 with
no urine production after a liter of fluids. At
the point I felt the dog was in acute renal
failure and sent him on to MedVet for a
urinary catheter to monitor urine output
overnight as well as overnight care.

He started vomiting again overnight at
MedVet and his renal values have
continued to increase daily. He produced
urine when given lasix as a diuretic. He was
on 3 different anti-vomiting medications and
they still couldn't control his vomiting. Today
his urine output decreased again, his BUN
was over 120, his creatinine was at 10, his
phosphorus was very elevated and his blood
pressure, which had been staying around
150, skyrocketed to 220 ... He continued to
vomit and the owners elected to Euthanize.

This is a very sad case - great dog, great
owners who had no idea raisins could be a
toxin. Please alert everyone you know who
has a dog of this very serious risk.

Poison control said as few as 7 raisins or
grap es could be toxic. Many people I know
give their dogs grapes or raisins as treats
including our ex-handler's. Any exposure
should give rise to immediate concern.

Onions, chocolate, cocoa and macadamia
nuts can be fatal, too.

Even if you don't have a dog, you might
have friends who do. This is worth passing
on to them.

Confirmation from Snopes about the above ..

snopes.com: Raisins and Grapes Harmful to Dogs

Hm, never heard of onions, or macadamia nuts? My aunt gives her little chiuaua grapes, I guess I should forwarn her!

Many things are toxic to animals at different levels. Read the thread where it is covered. You can also find lists online of toxic items. I teach Pet First Aid and also have a list in my instructors manual on common toxins and common toxic household plants. Best thing to do is feed your dogs dog food and cats cat food. :)

Sorry I had posted it when it was already posted, could not sleep last night. Hum Janet that sounds so interesting about Pet First Aid, would love to use you for one of the groups I belong to, wish you lived closer. Jess

I think it's just an interesting example of how everything gets discussed up here.To be sure, log on to google and type this in the search window:dog toxic site:chefsuccess.com and you'll get a listing of 49 threads where things toxic to dogs came up.In fact, if you type site:chefsuccess.com in the google window with any topic, you'll find all kinds of stuff that we've talked about up here.Paige: 817
recipe: 1,780
DCB: 275
raisins: 462
national conference: 2,640Chances are pretty good that someone has already brought it up. ;)

jwagner75 said:
Sorry I had posted it when it was already posted, could not sleep last night. Hum Janet that sounds so interesting about Pet First Aid, would love to use you for one of the groups I belong to, wish you lived closer. Jess

Contact your local Red Cross and they may have someone that teaches in your area.

heat123 said:
Hm, never heard of onions, or macadamia nuts? My aunt gives her little chiuaua grapes, I guess I should forwarn her!

Grapes and onions and macadamia nuts are toxic to dogs. Onions do something to their blood. I never gice my dogs the above mentioned items. :)

janetupnorth said:
Many things are toxic to animals at different levels. Read the thread where it is covered. You can also find lists online of toxic items.

I teach Pet First Aid and also have a list in my instructors manual on common toxins and common toxic household plants. Best thing to do is feed your dogs dog food and cats cat food. :)

One of my dogs thinks that cat food is a rare delicacy. Of course, cat food is much more delectable when it has already passed...um...let's just say it's the canine version of Kopi Luak coffee.

(Do a google search if you must know.)

we refer to that as kitty almond roca

1. Is "Is This True? Way off Topic" a legitimate source for information?

No, "Is This True? Way off Topic" is not a reliable source for information. It is an online forum where users can share their opinions and experiences, but the information may not always be accurate or verified.

2. Can I trust the information posted on "Is This True? Way off Topic"?

The information on "Is This True? Way off Topic" should be taken with a grain of salt. It is always best to fact-check and verify information from multiple sources before considering it to be true.

3. Are the discussions on "Is This True? Way off Topic" moderated?

Yes, the discussions on "Is This True? Way off Topic" are moderated by the forum administrators. However, it is still important to use your own judgment and discretion when reading the information shared on the forum.

4. Can I ask for advice or recommendations on "Is This True? Way off Topic"?

Yes, you can ask for advice or recommendations on "Is This True? Way off Topic". However, keep in mind that the responses may be based on personal opinions and experiences rather than factual information.

5. Is "Is This True? Way off Topic" a safe and respectful online community?

Generally, "Is This True? Way off Topic" is a safe and respectful online community. However, as with any online forum, there may be instances of inappropriate or offensive content. It is best to report any issues to the forum administrators.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
erinyourpclady
  • scottcooks
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Kitchen Diva
  • BeckyC5830