1. Join Chef Success Today!
    Get support for your PC business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of support threads! Totally Free!
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: Is this True? Way off Topic

  1. jwagner75

    jwagner75 Novice Member

    38
    0
    I received this, and I am not one to pass things on, but it got me to thinking, my dog eats anything and I am almost certain he had eaten in the past raisin's before box and all????? I was going to Google it and wanted to see what you guys thought.

    If you have a dog ... PLEASE read
    this and send it on. If you don't
    have a dog, please pass along
    to friends who do.

    Written by:
    Laurinda Morris, DVM
    Danville Veterinary Clinic
    Danville , OH

    This week I had the first case in history of
    raisin toxicity ever seen at MedVet. My
    patient was a 56-pound, 5 yr old male
    neutered lab mix that ate half a canister of
    raisins sometime between 7:30 AM and 4:30
    PM on Tuesday. He started with vomiting,
    diarrhea and shaking about 1AM on
    Wednesday but the owner didn't call my
    emergency service until 7A M.

    I had heard somewhere about raisins AND
    grapes causing acute Renal failure but
    hadn't seen any formal paper on the subject.
    We had her bring the dog in immediately.
    In the meantime, I called the ER service at
    MedVet, and the doctor there was like me?
    had heard something about it, but
    Anyway, we contacted the ASPCA National
    Animal Poison Control Center and they said
    to give IV fluids at 1 & 1/2 times maintenance
    and watch the kidney values for the next
    48-72 hours.

    The dog's BUN (blood urea nitrogen level)
    was already at 32 (normal less than 27) and
    creatinine over 5 (1.9 is the high end of
    normal). Both are monitors of kidney
    function in the bloodstream. We placed an
    IV catheter and started the fluids.
    Rechecked the renal values at 5 PM and the
    BUN was over 40 and creatinine over 7 with
    no urine production after a liter of fluids. At
    the point I felt the dog was in acute renal
    failure and sent him on to MedVet for a
    urinary catheter to monitor urine output
    overnight as well as overnight care.

    He started vomiting again overnight at
    MedVet and his renal values have
    continued to increase daily. He produced
    urine when given lasix as a diuretic. He was
    on 3 different anti-vomiting medications and
    they still couldn't control his vomiting. Today
    his urine output decreased again, his BUN
    was over 120, his creatinine was at 10, his
    phosphorus was very elevated and his blood
    pressure, which had been staying around
    150, skyrocketed to 220 ... He continued to
    vomit and the owners elected to Euthanize.

    This is a very sad case - great dog, great
    owners who had no idea raisins could be a
    toxin. Please alert everyone you know who
    has a dog of this very serious risk.

    Poison control said as few as 7 raisins or
    grap es could be toxic. Many people I know
    give their dogs grapes or raisins as treats
    including our ex-handler's. Any exposure
    should give rise to immediate concern.

    Onions, chocolate, cocoa and macadamia
    nuts can be fatal, too.

    Even if you don't have a dog, you might
    have friends who do. This is worth passing
    on to them.

    Confirmation from Snopes about the above ..

    snopes.com: Raisins and Grapes Harmful to Dogs
     
    Sep 10, 2009
    #1
  2. The_Kitchen_Guy

    The_Kitchen_Guy Legend Member Silver Member

    12,532
    76
  3. heat123

    heat123 Legend Member Silver Member

    6,981
    0
    Hm, never heard of onions, or macadamia nuts? My aunt gives her little chiuaua grapes, I guess I should forwarn her!
     
    Sep 10, 2009
    #3
  4. janetupnorth

    janetupnorth Legend Member Gold Member

    15,120
    2
    Many things are toxic to animals at different levels. Read the thread where it is covered. You can also find lists online of toxic items.

    I teach Pet First Aid and also have a list in my instructors manual on common toxins and common toxic household plants. Best thing to do is feed your dogs dog food and cats cat food. :)
     
    Sep 11, 2009
    #4
  5. jwagner75

    jwagner75 Novice Member

    38
    0
    Sorry I had posted it when it was already posted, could not sleep last night. Hum Janet that sounds so interesting about Pet First Aid, would love to use you for one of the groups I belong to, wish you lived closer. Jess
     
    Sep 11, 2009
    #5
  6. The_Kitchen_Guy

    The_Kitchen_Guy Legend Member Silver Member

    12,532
    76
    I think it's just an interesting example of how everything gets discussed up here.

    To be sure, log on to google and type this in the search window:

    dog toxic site:chefsuccess.com

    and you'll get a listing of 49 threads where things toxic to dogs came up.

    In fact, if you type site:chefsuccess.com in the google window with any topic, you'll find all kinds of stuff that we've talked about up here.

    Paige: 817
    recipe: 1,780
    DCB: 275
    raisins: 462
    national conference: 2,640

    Chances are pretty good that someone has already brought it up. ;)
     
  7. janetupnorth

    janetupnorth Legend Member Gold Member

    15,120
    2
    Contact your local Red Cross and they may have someone that teaches in your area.
     
    Sep 11, 2009
    #7
  8. Kitchen Diva

    Kitchen Diva Legend Member Gold Member

    5,098
    0
    Grapes and onions and macadamia nuts are toxic to dogs. Onions do something to their blood. I never gice my dogs the above mentioned items. :)
     
    Sep 12, 2009
    #8
  9. The_Kitchen_Guy

    The_Kitchen_Guy Legend Member Silver Member

    12,532
    76
    One of my dogs thinks that cat food is a rare delicacy. Of course, cat food is much more delectable when it has already passed...um...let's just say it's the canine version of Kopi Luak coffee.

    (Do a google search if you must know.)
     
  10. ShanaSmith

    ShanaSmith Veteran Member Silver Member

    1,315
    0
    we refer to that as kitty almond roca
     
    Sep 13, 2009
    #10
Have something to add?

Draft saved Draft deleted