• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Can I Use a Host Special for My Business?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of ordering the host special for December for personal use. The speaker is concerned about going against company policy and seeks clarification from others in the conversation. It is suggested that ordering the special as a gift for someone else is acceptable, but using it for personal use may be considered against the rules. The importance of following company policies is emphasized.
pchefinski
I just had a show host who decided that she didn't want to order the host special for December (carving board), but she told me that I could order it instead and use it for my business. Is this okay? I don't want to go against policy anywhere, so if not, I won't do it. She gave me permission, so I don't see why it would be a problem--it'd be the same as giving her $27.60 in FPV wouldn't it?

any time your host doesn't order the guest special you can order it. Just let her know you will have products with her order. You really don't have to ask her if its okay to order it. Once you have told her she is eligable for the special and how much it is, if she says she doesn't want it, then you can order it. If she doesn't use her half-price items you could order something you need at half price too. I do this often. I use these items for gifts, prizes, etc. This is a good way to add to your kit.

Thanks :) I just wanted to make sure that it was ok. I actually did something like this with a show I closed the other day.. the host couldn't get back to me in time to tell me what she wanted with her FPV so I ordered stuff for my biz and told her the next morning I'd give her a GC (redeemable only through me) for the FPV amt, since I didnt' want her to lose it, and I couldn't get ahold of her. She was thrilled. So, I should have figured this was fine too.. :D Thanks again!

According to PC we are not supposed to be using the host benefits for our own purchases. Be careful how you rationalize things. PC is so generous to us and to our customers. This might be akin to "stealing".

If I want to get a gift, I will purchase in their name (then it counts as commissionable sales) but otherwise we can buy new products at half price or earn them free and we can get other products at 40% off in April or at a discount any time.

Last edited:
Beth Brigham said:
According to PC we are not supposed to be using the host benefits for our own purchases. Be careful how you rationalize things. PC is so generous to us and to our customers. This might be akin to "stealing".

If I want to get a gift, I will purchase in their name (then it counts as commissionable sales) but otherwise we can buy new products at half price or earn them free and we can get other products at 40% off in April or at a discount any time.

Isn't buying a gift under their name no different then purchasing the host special?

You're getting paid commission for that gift so in actuality it's like you got it for less then what it's worth cause you got the money back in commission.

:confused: :confused:

AFwife said:
Isn't buying a gift under their name no different then purchasing the host special?

You're getting paid commission for that gift so in actuality it's like you got it for less then what it's worth cause you got the money back in commission.

:confused: :confused:
No it's not the same at all. I am buying it for them and by putting it in their name I am able to give them a receipt so they can use the warranty if they need it. It's as if they are buying it (but I am paying the money). It is not a personal order for me. I will not be using it. I am also not using something that someone else earned.

If I want something for my kitchen or kit I would put a personal order in and get 30% off (as a director). If I am buying it as a gift I am paying full price and getting commission on it - pretty much a wash really. I feel that if it is for someone else it is not disregarding the rules to order it in their name. My director is ultra-by-the-books and she finds no fault with this line of thought.

The confusion you feel is exactly why we need to not be creative in our interpretation of the "rules". :eek:

Beth Brigham said:
No it's not the same at all. I am buying it for them and by putting it in their name I am able to give them a receipt so they can use the warranty if they need it. It's as if they are buying it (but I am paying the money). It is not a personal order for me. I will not be using it. I am also not using something that someone else earned.

If I want something for my kitchen or kit I would put a personal order in and get 30% off (as a director). If I am buying it as a gift I am paying full price and getting commission on it - pretty much a wash really. I feel that if it is for someone else it is not disregarding the rules to order it in their name. My director is ultra-by-the-books and she finds no fault with this line of thought.

The confusion you feel is exactly why we need to not be creative in our interpretation of the "rules". :eek:

OH OK I SEE! Cause you stated it like this

If I want to get a gift, I will purchase in their name

So I was like, wait a minute that doesn't make sense.

It doesn't say, If I want to get a gift for them just...If I want to get a gift...get what I mean..that's where the confusion came in.

Thanks for the explanation though, good to know!

Sorry I confused you. Sometimes things sound right in our mind but when someone else hears us it makes no sense. :rolleyes:

Thanks for letting me explain further. Have a great day!

Beth Brigham said:

Beth,

I understood this differently than you have stated above. At Leadership 2005 we addressed this very issue and were told that as long as we have the hosts permission we can buy the host special or unused 1/2 priced items. Where did you hear that we are "stealing" by taking advantage of these benefits? Maybe I am wrong, but I do not see any where in the rules and regs about this.

Since you seem to be one that is up on the rules and regs, I hope you realize that you are breaking those rules by having your website posted in your signature. Just thought you would want to know!

Ok, I just called HO. I was told " It is intended for a host special" She said "that we could do it if no one knew about it". I asked if that meant PC and she said yes. So, take that info and do with it as you wish.I take it that it is wrong. I value Beth's opinion and her advice. Beth always has fantastic information readily available and is extremely supportive and positive to her fellow consultants. I always look forward to reading her posts and value her knowledge of the company.

luvs2sellit said:
Ok, I just called HO. I was told " It is intended for a host special" She said "that we could do it if no one knew about it". I asked if that meant PC and she said yes. So, take that info and do with it as you wish.I take it that it is wrong. I value Beth's opinion and her advice. Beth always has fantastic information readily available and is extremely supportive and positive to her fellow consultants. I always look forward to reading her posts and value her knowledge of the company.
Thanks you so much for the kind words!

And in response to the previous post, where did you hear that we can't have our website listed with our signature? We are allowed to put it with signatures and on literature we pass out. This is not the official PC site but it is strictly run and follows the rules set forth by PC. I think if it was not legal DebPC (founder) would have told us that we aren't allowed.

I will contact PC about it and let you know what they officially say about it. I have also contacted PC about the issue we have been discussing here today so that it is not just MY interpretation of the "rules" and will follow-up with you when I get their official word.

Remember, too, that we sometimes get misinformation when we call HO(they are trying to be accurate but depending on how we ask the question we sometimes get an interpretation that is not correct). If it is a policy matter I ALWAYS email the question because if they put it in writing we can usually trust it fully. Another place we can totally trust is the Recipe for Success.

You know, as long as we are being true to our hearts we will be fine. Let's enjoy the good fortune that we have by being associated with this company.

Have a Blessed Holiday everyone!

Last edited:
Beth Brigham said:
Thanks you so much for the kind words!

And in response to the previous post, where did you hear that we can't have our website listed with our signature? We are allowed to put it with signatures and on literature we pass out. This is not the official PC site but it is strictly run and follows the rules set forth by PC. I think if it was not legal DebPC (founder) would have told us that we aren't allowed.

http://chefsuccess.com/showthread.php?t=4546&highlight=signature

This isn't the only site that I have read this on, I have seen it on several sites and I have seen several people who snoop around on the board who are not consultants so I wouldn't agree with the "99% are consultants who look at this board" I came to this board by simply searching for PC information so anyone can do it.

Last edited:
Like Jennifer I too have heard it is a big no no now to put our personal e-mail address on our signature. I thought PC had just made that a rule. On another PC website I'm a member of they will delete your message if your e-mail is on it. I don't fully understand why because I'm kind of computer "dumb" but I have heard it is a big issue lately. This has been only in the last month or so.

Okay, you've convinced me. Maybe it's one of those things that was interpreted differently before and now they've clarified. It's too bad because we can get great ideas from each other by looking at one another's websites.

PS: Earlier I said 99% of those looking at this site are PC consultants. Okay, that's not an exact number but I bet that most who come here and are not PC consultants will go away without looking around too much. Most of them are looking for a deal on the products. I still think MOST (no % number) ARE consultants or are considering becoming one - at least those who visit more than once.

the only thing I've done is on a friends show she had a couple hundred points left and didn't want anything more. She let me use them to get a few paring knives which I will now use as door prizes.

Shhh though. Don't tell!

This is right out of Recipe for Success:
Consultants, Furture Directors, Directors, Advanced Directors and Senior Directors are allowed to have personal Web sites through www.pamperedchef.biz to promote their business. You may not create other websites to promote your Pampered Chef business.

You are allowed to use the company name as part of your title in email signatures, e-newsletters, e-fliers, etc., to promote your business, as long as you act in accordance with all other guidelines.

You may list your personal www.pamperedchef.biz Web site address in email, on business cards, cheques, stationery, other similar materials, and in print advertising and publicity as long as you act in accordance with all other guidelines.

You may not list, advertise or publicize your Pampered Chef personal website on any Web site other than The Pampered Chef's corporate site.

Spamming is not allowed. You should not purchase lists for email marketing purposes.

You may only set up a chat room or email newsgroup to communicate solely with other Pampered Chef Consultants about the business. You may not mention, advertise, or promote your Pampered Chef business on any chat rooms other than those created for communicating with other Kitchen Consultants.

Chefsuccess is sort of in a grey area - since it's not solely for consultants, perhaps we should all remove our links. But on the other hand, this site was created for communicating with other Consultants, so in that case it would be allowed?

Personally it does not matter to me whether anyone puts their website in their email. However, the other day there was a posting from someone that Home Office had contacted the moderators of this site telling them that posting our web addresses on this site was against policy because this is not an official PC site. As far as email addresses containing part of "The Pampered Chef" in them, it is my understanding that that is okay as long as we don't use the whole name ...The Pampered Chef.

As far as buying host specials and stuff being considered stealing, I don't think so. Those benefits belong to the host. She/He earned them. They are theirs and if they want to give them away it is up to them. The way I interepret the policy is that we cannot place an order on a party. By placing an order you increase your sales/commission. This could cause you to earn things that you would not otherwise earn...one could say you are cheating. If you really want to get technical, buying something in someone elses name whether it is a gift or not, could also be considered cheating...not by me, but by some. I don't make a habit of ordering host specials or half-price items, but do on occasion. Generally if I want to give someone a gift I place a personal order and recieve my consultant discount.

Presenters of workshops at National Conference have suggested using those unused host benefits to purchase host gifts, prizes, etc. I have heard this subject talked about a lot and have never heard that you shouldn't do it. This all is really silly anyway. It all boils down to how you interpret the policy. If I am a host of a show and earn things I don't want, I give them away. Basically, your host just gave you a gift. This is my opinion. I would not even begin to try and tell someone they are wrong or right. This is your business. I love this site and gain a lot of useful information from all of you. I appreciate it.

information on the web address policy is listed in the "We all need to know this" discussion.

Marg said:
This is right out of Recipe for Success:
You may not list, advertise or publicize your Pampered Chef personal website on any Web site other than The Pampered Chef's corporate site.
Obviously I have not memorized and am not able to interpret accurately EVERY rule PC has and am no expert on everything. Hey, I'm human too! :eek:

This line makes it very clear that we were wrong. We can not put our websites on any website except the PC corporate one.

I'll copy you on the response to this question once I hear back from Field Services but I'm sure that they will say we can not use it.

HO response to gift I purchase on show...Message to home office = I'm writing to obtain clarification on whether the following falls under the definition of a "Personal Order" or if it is an allowable practice: Can I order PC products for a family member under a show and paid for by me? Example: I'd like to give my brother a citrus press for Christmas. Can I legitimately add this order to an existing show, put it under his name so that he can have a receipt for the warranty, but pay for it out of my pocket?

Response from home office = Thank you for contacting the Home Office. You can place an order, but you would not be able to use your consultant discount on a commissionable show. Please let me know if I may be of further assistance.

my personal opinion: I ditto Shawnna's post!
maria

Wow!WOW! I didn't know this would turn into such a debated topic! I agree with all of you that we all interpret things differently.

Beth, I hope you did not take my response personally. I am just tired of seeing people list there web addresses on here. :(

Remember everyone that we are here to help eachother not bring eachother down! :mad: I believe that everyone is trying their best to adhere to company policies!

I hope everyone has a happy holiday! :D

WHOA!

I just caught up...does this mean I'm not suppose to have my website on my siggie?

Should I take it off?

Oh now I'm confused! :confused:

yesYou should take it off...it is not allowed on this site! I know it is a bummer, but those are the rules.

hope that helps claify it for you....

:cool:

chefmama said:
You should take it off...it is not allowed on this site! I know it is a bummer, but those are the rules.

hope that helps claify it for you....

:cool:

:( oh well, thanks!

MSmith said:
Message to home office = I'm writing to obtain clarification on whether the following falls under the definition of a "Personal Order" or if it is an allowable practice: Can I order PC products for a family member under a show and paid for by me? Example: I'd like to give my brother a citrus press for Christmas. Can I legitimately add this order to an existing show, put it under his name so that he can have a receipt for the warranty, but pay for it out of my pocket?

Response from home office = Thank you for contacting the Home Office. You can place an order, but you would not be able to use your consultant discount on a commissionable show. Please let me know if I may be of further assistance.

This response from HO indicates that what Beth does when buying a gift is perfectly fine. Just wanted to make sure everyone understands that.

:D Merry Christmas :D

Response from HOHere is the response I received from home office regarding the question that started this thread:

Sender: "Burdick, Jill" <[email protected]>
To: "Beth Brigham"

Hello,
Thank you for contacting the home office. You are correct.
Consultants have many other opportunities for incentives, freebies and
promotions. Unfortunately the hostess items and guest items are
precisely that, an incentive for the hostess if she would like it.

Jill Burdick
Solution Center Representative
1-888-OUR-CHEF (687-2433)
Option 3

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, December 15, 2005 9:30 AM
To: FieldService
Subject: Field Service

Name = Beth Brigham
Consultant = 293128
Company = 01
Phone = 919-304-9008
Email = [email protected]
Message = I have been telling others that even if a host absolutely does
not want the special or her half price item we consultants are not
allowed to use that benefit. Others rationalize that if it was earned
and the host doesn't want it - why not? Am I being too literal?

Thanks for clearing that up Beth. And do tell how you got the fancy Star CS member by your name.

luvs2sellit said:
Thanks for clearing that up Beth. And do tell how you got the fancy Star CS member by your name.

Hey Laura! I am pretty sure you get the Star CS thingy once you hit 500 posts. :) You have a little over a 100 posts to go and you'll be there!
:)

PampMomof3 said:
Hey Laura! I am pretty sure you get the Star CS thingy once you hit 500 posts. :) You have a little over a 100 posts to go and you'll be there!
:)
Yeah, I think that must be it. I just noticed that today so they must have just made a change. Makes me feel pretty good I must say. :cool:

I agree! I think it gives a little status, huh? ;)

EditBeth,
You may want to edit your e-mail and reply from HO. Your phone number is now posted.....

This thread is about two different subjects, but good grief! I miss a few days, I miss all this drama! The way I understand the website is that we are not supposed to "promote" our business. I got an email from my director about how it is a good idea to view other's websites to get ideas, where else would I find a listing of other consultants websites? Additionally, in other groups (ie, Lets Make A Deal, that clearly states that we are not to list our website, nor anything about PC on our yahooo profile-again understandable because people can searh this area) I haven't seen anything from the moderators RE my website on my signature (PLEASE priv message me if I missed anything official)

PCAbby said:
I haven't seen anything from the moderators RE my website on my signature (PLEASE priv message me if I missed anything official)
On another thread the moderator did say that we should all remove our websites from our signatures.

ConfusionI am confused. I haven't even seen any websites posted on anyone's message. From what I understand, your e-mail address is NOT a website. The e-mail address I have posted is so that I can be contacted, but it does not direct anyone to my .biz site.
Is this the problem everyone is going on about, or am I just not seeing where the websites are posted. Someone said Beth had her's posted and when I went back up to her's, it wasn't there, only her email address.
Please clarify if I am missing something.

This is my first posting and I have to say I do love this site!
After reading these, I feel like I know you all!

You are fine!
chefamy926 said:
I am confused. I haven't even seen any websites posted on anyone's message. From what I understand, your e-mail address is NOT a website. The e-mail address I have posted is so that I can be contacted, but it does not direct anyone to my .biz site.
Is this the problem everyone is going on about, or am I just not seeing where the websites are posted. Someone said Beth had her's posted and when I went back up to her's, it wasn't there, only her email address.
Please clarify if I am missing something.

This is my first posting and I have to say I do love this site!
After reading these, I feel like I know you all!

You are fine to include your e-mail address! Beth had her website listed previously, (as did most of us) but removed it according to policy. The moderators of this site have asked us to remove our websites according to Pampered Chef policy. PCAbby still has hers listed and is in violation of the policy.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• AZPampered Chef
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
rlombas
Replies
Views
Sheila
  • Sheleif
  • Products and Tips
Replies