• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is There a Substitute For Buttermilk in Scone Recipes?

V
vwpamperedchef
buttermilk??

I have a box of scones that need to be made and no buttermilk. Any thing I can substitute it for?

Just wondering. I hate to buy the buttermilk and waste the rest. I won't use the whole container....

vwpamperedchef said:
buttermilk??

I have a box of scones that need to be made and no buttermilk. Any thing I can substitute it for?

Just wondering. I hate to buy the buttermilk and waste the rest. I won't use the whole container....

Add a tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice to a cup of regular milk, and let it sit for about 5 minutes. It's called clabbered milk. I do it all the time in place of buttermilk. (it's also a great quick tip to give guests at a show!;) )

Yes, you can use 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar plus enough milk to make 1 cup OR 1 cup milk plus 1 3/4 tablespoons cream of tartar.

(I use the first substitution often).

no cream of tartar so I guess Iwill try your suggestions! Thank you!

For the future, you can also buy "powdered buttermilk" ; just add water. The shelf life is over a year...

Send some scones this way, would you? I could go for one right now. LOL!

I dont even eat them, but my grandmother who is English will just love these!

You can also substitute plain ol yogurt for buttermilk (not any flavor... just plain ol' yogurt). The vinegar or lemon juice in the milk trick also works well.

The clabbered milk substitutes work fine...and I've frozen buttermilk in the past, for cooking.Cafeteria at my day job has small cartons of non-fat milk and buttermilk, I bring these home when needed for a special recipe. :) Local convenience store carries the small cartons too.

Thank you! Turns out I had no lemon juice. I'll have to make it another day! Great to know though!

No vinegar either? I'm out of lemon juice too, and I keep forgetting to buy more. It's quite irritating at times. I have a lot of vinegar, three different kinds, at least.

JAE said:
No vinegar either? I'm out of lemon juice too, and I keep forgetting to buy more. It's quite irritating at times. I have a lot of vinegar, three different kinds, at least.
On another thread, I posted that I was the queen of condiments...well, that includes vinegar.

I havethe following vinegars:
white
cider
red wine
white wine
tarragon
white balsamic
balsamic
malt
rice
seasoned rice
salad
champagne

I'm seriously out of control!:eek:

I needed red wine vinegar tonight, and I only had a couple different Balsalmic ones, cider, and white. I used cider. I made the portabello panini's. SOOO GOOD! My picky 10 year old DS even said "this is good." He never says that.

I do it with vinegar all the time. I do not like buttermilk so I never buy it. I saw the vinegar trick on Paula Deen and have been doing it ever since.

JAE said:
I needed red wine vinegar tonight, and I only had a couple different Balsalmic ones, cider, and white. I used cider. I made the portabello panini's. SOOO GOOD! My picky 10 year old DS even said "this is good." He never says that.
We :love: LOVE :love: those!I would have used a Balsamic....

BH&G showed a substitute going the opposite way. KWIM? That's why I used what I used.

1. Can I substitute something else for buttermilk in a recipe?

Yes, there are several substitutes for buttermilk that can be used in recipes such as milk with lemon juice or vinegar, yogurt, sour cream, or even regular milk with a small amount of butter added.

2. Will the substitution affect the taste of my recipe?

It may slightly alter the taste, but the difference should be minimal. It's always best to use the recommended ingredients in a recipe, but in a pinch, a substitute for buttermilk should still yield good results.

3. I only need a small amount of buttermilk for my recipe. Do I have to buy a whole container?

No, you can easily make your own buttermilk by adding 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar to 1 cup of milk. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes, and you will have a homemade substitute for buttermilk.

4. Can I use a non-dairy milk alternative as a substitute for buttermilk?

Yes, you can use non-dairy milk like almond milk or coconut milk as a substitute for buttermilk in recipes. Just add the lemon juice or vinegar to the non-dairy milk and let it sit for a few minutes to curdle.

5. If I use a substitute for buttermilk, will my recipe still turn out the same?

In most cases, yes, your recipe should still turn out well with a substitute for buttermilk. However, keep in mind that buttermilk adds a tangy and unique flavor to recipes, so the taste may differ slightly from the original recipe.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
raebates
  • wadesgirl
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
Replies
Views
Admin Greg