• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is the Russian Hacker Threat Real? What We Know Now

In summary, PC Magazine recommends that you:- Verify that your system is up to date- Install all critical and security updates- Check your firewall
chefshawna
Gold Member
O.k. my computer literate friends out there, should we all shut down our computers and stay off of them tomorrow? What is the real threat from the Russian hackers?? I don't know a lot about this worm, just a little that I read on CBS.com and what my sister has told me, but I am wondering if it is a big thread? I didn't see a threat about this anywhere, so I hope this isn't a duplicate! Thanks!!

Last edited:
Makes me glad I bought my Mac!

Well, the facts are, no one really knows.The Conficker virus has been around since November and just how many machines are infected is unknown. Infected systems tend to "call home" to the hackers who placed the virus, who can then steal personal info from that system.You can read more about it at Conficker on snopes.com.

I heard shutting down your computer and leaving it off till April 2nd will NOT make a diff.

Also, unplugging your PC won't make a diff if it is already on your system. I guess we cross our fingers that everything's ok.

ChefBeckyD said:
Makes me glad I bought my Mac!

I was thinking the same thing!

PC Magazine says...The worm weasels into computer systems through a Windows vulnerability that was patched last October, and once in place it interferes with the Windows Update system, to protect itself. So, verify that your system is up to date. XP users should launch Internet Explorer (no other browser will do), visit Microsoft Windows Update, and click the "Review your update history" link. Vista users should launch Windows Update from the Start menu and click the "View update history" link. In particular, you want to see KB958644 in the list—that's Conficker's entry point. If your latest update is any older than March 2009, that's not good. Go back to the main Windows Update page and install all critical and security updates.

They were talking about this on FOX news today and said that it's potentially laying dormant on over 14 million computers!!!!!! SCARY!!!

Make sure that before mid-night tonight that you do 4 things. When running Windows operating systems, go to the systems programs and set a restore date for TODAY 3/31/09. This way you can at least try to back date your computer which can remove a virus the easy way. Then you must go to Windows Update and see if there are any updates needed for your computer. Only choose the necessary ones. These are usually security type updates that help your system resist viruses. Second and more importantly, make sure your security program is updated as well. Whether you run Norton, McAfee or any of those anti-virus programs, make sure you have the most recent updates for them. The fixes for this were put out by most of the anti-virus program issuers as early as mid-December so... But don't take a chance. Then if you also have a separate firewall, check that as well. I work in IT and we spent the entire day updating our anti-virus programs and firewall programs on 27 servers. There is no such thing as updating those programs to much!
1) set a system restore date TODAY for 3/31/09
2) Run Windows Update
3) Run and update on your security program
4) Run an update on your firewall if you have one.

And John, they set their restore date to today...how?;)

I guess it's one of those things, if it happens, it happens, but I'm backing up my P3 off of my computer tonight! My photos too! eeekkk... I hope this is an April Fool's Day hoax!

Thank goodness I have a mac!
But on the news tonight, they said to try to go to a site like symantec.com or windows.com (like you're going to get an update). If you cannot log on to those sites, you probably have the virus on your PC- because it doesn't WANT you to get the protection and won't let you.Here is what one article on the news said:http://www.wral.com/news/technology/story/4850414/
(on the TV spot, they gave an http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm?s_cid=sah- if you couldn't get to microsoft or a virus site like symantic)Lots of computer worms disable antivirus software outright, which can be a tip-off that something is wrong. But Conficker doesn't do that. Instead, Conficker blocks infected PCs from accessing the antivirus vendors' and Microsoft's Web sites, so victims won't get automatic updates and can't download the Conficker removal tools that those companies have developed.So see what Web sites you can visit. If you can navigate the Internet freely except for sites owned by Microsoft or antivirus vendors such as Symantec Corp., McAfee Inc. or F-Secure Corp., your PC might have Conficker or a similar bug.Fixing the problem gets a little trickier.The best remedy is to have a friend - whose computer is not infected - download a removal tool from Microsoft or one of the antivirus vendors. Then that person should e-mail the tool to you.A list of the free Conficker removal programs is available on the Web site of the http://www.confickerworkinggroup.org/wiki/pmwiki.php?nANY.RepairTools, an alliance of companies fighting the worm. The removal programs will take care of themselves, for the most part, scanning your system and purging the worm.One thing to note: Conficker blocks infected machines from running removal tools with "Conficker" in the name. So users might have to change the name of the file (one you've saved the tool to your desktop, right-click on it and select "rename") before running it. The program's instructions will let you know if you need to do this. Many antivirus vendors have already changed the names in their removal tools - in some cases calling the file a misspelled variant of "Conficker" - to trick the worm into letting the program run.

OK - so I'm just reading this & can't get to those websites. So, I guess that means that our pc has this virus. Is there anything I can do now to get rid of it or am I totally screwed?

Why is it that admitting this is like admitting you have an std? :eek:

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
PC Magazine says...

The worm weasels into computer systems through a Windows vulnerability that was patched last October, and once in place it interferes with the Windows Update system, to protect itself. So, verify that your system is up to date. XP users should launch Internet Explorer (no other browser will do), visit Microsoft Windows Update, and click the "Review your update history" link. Vista users should launch Windows Update from the Start menu and click the "View update history" link. In particular, you want to see KB958644 in the list—that's Conficker's entry point. If your latest update is any older than March 2009, that's not good. Go back to the main Windows Update page and install all critical and security updates.

O.k., I have that in my update history and my last update was March 18, 2009, so I guess I'm o.k. Thanks for all the help!!!

What is the current status of the Russian hacker threat?

As of now, the Russian hacker threat is still ongoing. Cybersecurity experts and government agencies continue to monitor and address potential threats from Russian hackers.

What do we know about the Russian hacker groups?

We know that there are multiple Russian hacker groups, each with their own specific targets and tactics. Some of the most notorious groups include Fancy Bear, Cozy Bear, and Sandworm.

What methods do Russian hackers use to carry out attacks?

Russian hackers use a variety of methods to carry out attacks, including phishing, malware, and social engineering. They often target vulnerabilities in software and systems to gain access to sensitive information.

Has the Russian hacker threat impacted any major organizations or events?

Yes, the Russian hacker threat has impacted several major organizations and events. For example, Russian hackers were responsible for the 2016 cyberattack on the Democratic National Committee and the 2018 Winter Olympics in South Korea.

What can individuals and organizations do to protect themselves from Russian hackers?

To protect themselves from Russian hackers, individuals and organizations should ensure their systems and software are up to date with the latest security patches, use strong and unique passwords, and be cautious of suspicious emails and messages. It is also recommended to regularly backup important data and use reputable cybersecurity software.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
nikked
Replies
Views
esavvymom
  • The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pampchefrhondab